Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sientara posted:

For more information on some of the reasons Firis is disliked, I have the following problems with it:
-There is no wholesaleing to make it easier to mass produce items with certain traits
-the recipe leveling system: as you craft something more, you gain experience in it to unlock various traits making it more difficult than necessary to craft good items
-it is really easy to miss whole characters and events since you are wandering without much direction
-it is a buggy mess, especially the Vita version. It crashes at the drop of a hat.
I appreciate its ambition. Trying to make an open-world game on an Atelier budget is an incredibly bold move, and I think it's an interesting failure.

In Australia, Rorona and Totori got rated R18+ for "references to sexual violence". Is that something to be concerned about, or a case of the Classification Board going off half-cocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you're like me, you might worry about "wasting time" in side areas. Don't. There's always a point to them, and the deadline is very forgiving.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

ee: is there any way to check what kinds of subweapons characters use?
Not really. It's not communicated very well. It took me an embarrassingly long time to realise that there are three slightly different kinds of swords.

I can just tell you, if you like. Which characters are you interested in?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Drossel is one of the ones who confused me, because she can use a spear or a greatsword for her subweapon - but not a regular sword. Those are for weaklings.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 12, 2019

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I just passed my Alchemy exam and the credits are playing. I might be the only person in the world who thinks this but Atelier Firis rules. Probably my favorite of the Mysterious trilogy.
The Mysterious games are the only ones I've played. Of those, I think Firis is the most interesting, and it's the only one I've finished, and it's probably the only one I'd care to replay. So I guess it must be my favourite too.

Life without Corneria sure is tough, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
drat, they beat Tropico 6 to market. Your move, Kalypso.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dehry posted:

Based on all the replies I'm getting on Reddit, the Mysterious crew shows up around turn 20.
They sure do.

I'm drowning in alchemists. Please send help.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I think Nelke comes from an alternate universe where Gust really wanted to make a mobile game, but Koei-Tecmo wouldn't let them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dehry posted:

Nelke got an update today to add Blue Reflection and Nights of Azure music. It's a part of the free DLC season pass.
I'm glad Gust are keeping those alive in one way or another. I look forward to their next new game that's almost but not quite extremely good.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dehry posted:

For some reason the English localization files for Nelke contain a new Rorona model/object. She's the only one affected, but just comparing screenshots from the Japanese version to the English version I can't see anything different about her.
So you're saying the game has obviously been censored somehow, and all true fans should start flaming the publisher on Twitter right away?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Merilan posted:

god if anything i want more games that manage to have the pleasant atmosphere and relatively low stakes problems and optimistic takes of Atelier games in the year 2019
I'm working on it. Just give me a few... 5... 7 more years.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think any Gust game has hit 60 FPS on anything, at least not for more than a second
Only with the hardware-accelerated raytracing power of the Nvidia GeForce 2080 RTX can the Atelier series achieve its true potential.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I like that the characters' dresses are textured with ten times the fidelity of everything else. The game knows where its strengths are. I respect that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Will I get a way to automatically recharge my items eventually? I miss Corneria.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
As long as there's a bulletproof narrative explanation for the delay like with Wholesale, I'll allow it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

https://twitter.com/psneolog777/status/1132208326224171009

dunno how reliable this is, but apparently there's an "atelier liza" coming soon?
Whoever this "Queen of Eternal Darkness" is, she already sounds metal as hell.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It’s a hell of a subtitle for an Atelier game, we don’t even have an “Alchemist of X”
Maybe Atelier Liza is also Nights of Azure 3.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is there any way to use a Warp Gate while you're not already in town? If not, why are you allowed to equip them as an Exploration Tool?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, piss. Thanks.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I hope this is enough.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the ?superior explosives? keyword in chapter of reunions page 8?
An extremely high-quality Craft. 100+, according to the thing I read.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The other one on that page is for using Crafts in battle a bunch of times. It doesn't have anything to do with making them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
"Sort of", she says...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I just lost to what I assume is the final boss, and now I'm so distracted by gearing up for a rematch that I'll probably forget to actually finish the game. The exact same thing happened to me in Sophie.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
There's a cluster of nodes specifically for them, way, way in the back.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm mostly worried about what the normal and true ending conditions are because I want to get all the trophies in one run if possible.
As I understand it, the only requirement for the True Ending is that you see every character event (which also qualifies you for every other ending and then some).

The bad ending isn't a "real" ending, so it doesn't count, but I think you do get locked in once the credits roll, which means you have to reload a non-"clear data" save if you want to collect all the endings in one run.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 31, 2019

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

As I understand it, the only requirement for the True Ending is that you see every character event (which also qualifies you for every other ending and then some).
Slight correction here: despite what I read, it's definitely not literally all of them. I didn't have to go hunt down every single event for every minor character like I thought I would. It might be enough just to meet the requirements for all the other character endings.

That does mean the secret extra ending that requires you to do a very silly thing is far more annoying to get than the true ending, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Waci posted:

Can you see all the character scenes in post-game (other than the character endings, of course), or do you need to use a save from before the credits for those as well?
I can't make any promises about every single one, but they're still available in general, and there's no obvious reason for any to be missable.

cheetah7071 posted:

Does the True Ending make a big difference in this game? I don't have it unlocked and it'd be kind of a pain to grind out because they seem to have taken a step backwards from L&S on friendship increasing for people not in the active party
Not at all. It changes like two lines of narration after the credits.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Ugh the curry ending requirements are ridiculous, I can barely get one to 500 let alone 750 quality.

CYBEReris posted:

if it's anything like other atelier games there's probably means of component recursion using quality traits to multiplicatively increase an item's quality over several iterations
The guide I read suggests using Medicine Base as your enabler, because it can use 4 of itself in its own recipe, with only one Med Tree Root and one Supplement as waste on each iteration. Then on the final iteration you can bring in Awakened effects to turn it into a Plant, Ore, Mushroom, Lumber and/or Cloth without any complicated chaining at all.

The only catch is that it will explode unless you switch the lightning attribute with something else, so you can't use Alchemy Activator to speed it up.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dehry posted:

What area do I need to search to get to the sacred forest? I already defeated the monster required.
Stein Hill. It's a bit sneaky - pay attention to the minimap.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

how many of us are gonna have moved on to fire emblem three houses by then
I only play games for the Windows personal computer. That's how you know I'm a True Gamer.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gluten Freeman posted:

Best female best friend/girlfriend
But I repeat myself.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If you push into the Eroge Territory, you better fight to the death. They're not kind to their POWs over there.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
From the article they're citing there:

??????

I have several questions...

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The male characters: Sterk, Young Sterk, Pirate Sterk and Wizard Sterk.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Forget Ryza and these other two nerds, I want to know more about the Queen of Eternal Darkness.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
There's a lot going on in that video, but there's a bit at 0:28 where it definitely doesn't pause while they're in the Items menu.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I do not like the design of the black leather skinsuit lady. She looks even worse in motion than in her character art
Her name is "Lila", and if you don't show some respect, Gust will put their deadly No-Pants Curse on you too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I wouldn't have taken the Atelier games to be the kind of thing people sit around anxiously awaiting a midnight launch for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Within the industry, this is known as "the Nier Automata gambit".