Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/university-of-southern-mississippi/article225547935.html

quote:

There was an immediate and intense reaction to Monday’s news that former Baylor head coach Art Briles was interviewing for the offensive coordinator position at Southern Miss.

While many USM fans expressed support for hiring the 63-year-old with hopes that he could turn the Golden Eagles into an offensive juggernaut, others were adamantly against it.

Baylor fired Briles in 2016 amid a probe into allegations of sexual assault by his players.

The school acknowledged 17 women had reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes. A 2017 lawsuit alleged 31 players committed 52 acts of rape, and that the school had a “show ‘em a good time” policy that “used sex to sell” the football program to recruits.

An independent investigation found that Briles’ staff members failed to report allegations to the proper authorities.

Briles interviewed with USM head coach Jay Hopson in Hattiesburg on Monday and was introduced to players as he toured the Duff Athletic Center that afternoon, the Sun Herald has learned.

National media and football fans across the country were overwhelmingly critical of the move after news of the interview broke Monday morning.

One poll on the GoldenEaglePride.com message board has fans voting 87 percent in favor of hiring Briles. Other USM fans have put their faith in Hopson to make the right call.

“I trust Coach Hopson to make a good decision here,” said Jim Warren, a 1984 graduate of USM. “I do have concerns, however, as I don’t completely understand Coach Briles’ role and the status of the various investigations. We will need a clear statement on all this if the hire is made.”

Among Southern Miss alumni, the reaction was mixed as fans took to social media to express their opinions on Briles.

If Southern Miss is willing to give Briles a second chance, there’s no denying that allegations against his Baylor football program will continue to follow him throughout his career.

Other findings from the independent investigation commissioned by Baylor include:

▪ When Baylor dismissed players for unspecified violations, the coaches helped those players transfer to other schools and created “dangerous environments” elsewhere.

▪ The football staff worked hard to handle disciplinary matters within the program to “actively divert cases from the student conduct or criminal processes” in violation of Title IX rules.

▪ The program did not do background checks or request records on any disciplinary actions for transfers from their previous school.

The NCAA conducted its own investigation and submitted a formal notice of allegations against Baylor, according an October report by the Forth Worth Star-Telegram. The report says that Briles is among those who committed NCAA infractions

However, former Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw told CBSsports.com last week that he believes Briles will be “largely exonerated” and will be given a chance to again be a head coach. “As more information comes out on the Baylor scandal, they’re going to find out [Briles] was scapegoated for a much larger campus wide problem and the failings were in the police department and across campus which is what I know to be the case.”

Briles received a $15.1 million contract settlement from Baylor after he threatened to sue the school for wrongful termination, according to a report by the Dallas Morning News.

In August, Briles issued a lengthy list of denials in response to a Title IX lawsuit brought by former Baylor student Delores Lazano, who claims the university failed to take proper Title IX action when she reported a member of the football team allegedly assaulted her in 2014.

Baylor took the step of countering Briles in a statement: “Just as when he was coach, he again attempts to skirt responsibility for actions of the football program that he led, the players he recruited and coached, the coaches he managed the loose discipline he championed.”

When Briles was trying to land a job with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League in 2017, he helped his case by providing a letter from Baylor that seemed to all but clear him of wrongdoing, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The letter ended with, “We wish you the very best in your future endeavours.”

Briles was hired as an offensive assistant by the CFL squad, but dismissed soon after following a stream of criticism for the move.

Briles spent two decades coaching on the high school level and was the head coach at Stephenville (Texas) High School from 1988-99 before he landed a job as the running backs coach at Texas Tech, where he worked for three years.

In 2003, Houston hired Briles as its head coach and he instantly installed one of the nation’s most prolific offenses. The Cougars were 34-28 under his watch and made four bowl games.

Baylor hired Briles in 2008 and had a pair of four-win campaigns before running off six consecutive winning seasons. His last five years at the Waco, Texas, school featured four seasons of at least 10 wins and two Big 12 championships.

Read more here: https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/university-of-southern-mississippi/article225547935.html#storylink=cpy

Somebody finally loving did it. Somebody pulled the ripcord. And it was my goddamned Golden Eagles.

The very first football game I ever attended in person of any kind was in Hattiesburg, Mississippi in 1983. Reggie Collier, an immensely talented running quarterback (he was Reggie Cunningham before Reggie Cunningham) destroyed Tulane, 21-3. Sammy Winder (you might remember him from the Denver Broncos) ran in a TD to finish it off. I was hooked. I went to every home game until my father got transferred to California in 1985.

It wasn't easy following a small college football team from across the country in the 1980s. My grandmother would bundle up two weeks' worth of sports pages from the Hattiesburg American, and mail them off to me in San Diego. Occasionally I'd see a one-paragraph blurb mentioning them in the Sporting News. But I stuck with it. It was slightly silly; it made me feel a little different to be the only kid cheering for the Saints and talking about going to New Orleans Breakers games and cheering for a tiny Southern school nobody in California ever heard of.

When we moved to Alabama in 1992 it meant I could drive 90 minutes to watch a USM home game; I tried to make 1 or 2 a year. They just fell rear end-backwards into a fantastic coach in Jeff Bower. They were beating big powers like Florida State and Alabama. They routinely sent defensive stars like Adalius Thomas and Patrick Surtain (Senior- and let me tell you how loving old it makes you feel to watch his son play now) to the NFL. I went to bowl games in New Orleans and Memphis. A Pitt fan nailed me dead in the nose with a sucker punch on Beale Street because he was pissed we had curb-stomped his team 44-7 that afternoon. I was so drunk I barely felt it. I've got pictures somewhere of people I didn't know in USM hats posing with me like I was some kind of hero, blood streaming down my face.

The good times wore off; Jeff Bower wouldn't change his outdated rear end offense, and 6-6 became the norm. Eventually the AD told him to make changes, he told the AD to go gently caress himself, and that was that. Larry Fedora followed him, and as much of a joke as you might think he is now, he was hotshit at the time. He kept the bowl streak alive, took us to 12-2, and then UNC waved a wad of cash under his nose.

We don't talk about the coach that came after him.

Since then it's been basic boo-boo mid-major bullshit. Todd Monken moved onto the NFL. We hired a hot name from I-AA. I know I wasn't the only USM fan either losing interest or getting sick of complete irrelevance. So apparently they're desperate enough to turn to. Art. loving. Briles.

Performative fan anger is inherently stupid. "Look at me being mad, hey over here pay attention I matter" is the subtext of every video of someone lighting a jersey on fire because someone missed a kick or left in free agency. I know USM the institution doesn't give a gently caress about me. I didn't even go to the school, for reasons.

Still threw all my shirts in the trash, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Here's how big of a gamble hiring Briles would be, even beyond the PR nightmare and continuing headache it'd cause with student groups and the administration:

The NCAA still has not issued penalties to Baylor; they wrapped up their investigation in October 2018 and are expected to issue penalties in the next few months. A show-cause order for Briles is well and truly still on the table.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ncaa-completes-investigation-baylor-2018-10

How loving stupid would USM look already having hired the guy now being issued the penalty?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Oh, here's to the land you've torn out the heart of...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Baylor came into their bowl game against UNC with zero scholarship quarterbacks available and rushed for 645 yards.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loVXsvtpWHU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

USM passes; this is turning into an embarrassingly public power struggle between the President and the coach.

https://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/university-of-southern-mississippi/article225529890.html

quote:

Southern Miss officials have decided that it’s not worth taking a chance on former Baylor football coach Art Briles and USM head coach Jay Hopson is not happy about it.

USM put out a statement Wednesday morning saying that Briles has been informed that he is not a candidate to join the staff.

Briles interviewed with Hopson in Hattiesburg on Monday morning for a chance to become the team’s offensive coordinator.

Hopson released a statement Wednesday that says that it was the decision of USM president Rodney Bennett to not hire Briles, who was fired by Baylor in 2016 amid a probe into allegations of sexual assault by his players.

“Although I respect the decision of Dr. Rodney Bennett, I disagree with it,” Hopson said in his statement. “I am so grateful for the grace and forgiveness God gives me which allows me to inherit his kingdom, which I do not deserve. I have interviewed Art Briles for an assistant position at Southern Miss and I believe he is a man who deserves a second chance. He is a man that seemed sincere and humble in his interview and personally he committed no crime. He may not have acted in the proper protocol, but that would be my JOB at Southern Miss! He was interviewing for an assistant position, even though I believe he will be a head coach at a major program in the near future. However, I believe he is a man who does love the Lord and deserves a second chance. He has been banned from employment in college football for three years and has been punished. I understand both sides have opinions, this is just mine.”

Hopson was approached by the Sun Herald during a signing day event in Hattiesburg on Monday morning, but he said he preferred to speak only about his new signees.

However, Hopson added that he stands behind his response to the Briles decision.

“I believe it with all my heart,” the fourth-year head coach said. “I thought he was a heck of an offensive coordinator. I’ve defended a lot of offensive coordinators in my lifetime. And guess what, he was the best.”

A Wednesday morning report by SBnation.com indicated that Hopson failed to inform USM administration of his decision to interview Briles before it took place on Monday. The report says that Hopson and only football staffers arranged the interview.

Hopson declined to comment when he was asked about the report.

Interim USM athletic director Jeff Mitchell issued another statement Wednesday afternoon that did not address Hopson’s response.

“We stand by the earlier statement that Rodney Bennett and I released,” Mitchell said in the statement. “As today is national signing day, we celebrate the young men who are joining the football program. We look forward to them developing as student-athletes at the University of Southern Mississippi.”

An independent investigation found that football staff members who worked under Briles at Baylor failed to report allegations of sexual violence to the proper authorities.

Other findings in the report include:

▪ When Baylor dismissed players for unspecified violations, the coaches helped those players transfer to other schools and created “dangerous environments” elsewhere.

▪ The football staff worked hard to handle disciplinary matters within the program to “actively divert cases from the student conduct or criminal processes” in violation of Title IX rules.

▪ The program did not do background checks or request records on any disciplinary actions for transfers from their previous school.

The NCAA conducted its own investigation and submitted a formal notice of allegations to Baylor in October, according a report by the Forth Worth Star-Telegram. The report says that Briles is among those who committed NCAA infractions.

However, former Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw told CBSsports.com last week that he believes Briles will be “largely exonerated” and will be given a chance to again be a head coach.

In 2003, Houston hired Briles as its head coach and he instantly installed one of the nation’s most prolific offenses. The Cougars were 34-28 under his direction and made four bowl games.

Baylor hired Briles in 2008 and had a pair of 4-win campaigns before running off six consecutive winning seasons. His last five years at the Waco, Texas, school featured four seasons of at least 10 wins and two Big 12 championships.

Here's my theory- Hopson wanted to hire Briles. He ran it by Mitchell, the AD. Two possibilities from there:

1. They sandbagged the President.
2. The President gave them permission, caught hell for it, and pulled the plug.

Either way, calling your boss wrong in national media is not a great way to stay employed. Hopson has been good so far at USM but not fantastic.

At this point, he can loving kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Were you able to retrieve the shirts

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cavauro posted:

Were you able to retrieve the shirts

Nah. gently caress em. It doesn't matter whether they hired him or not. When you kick the tires on a loving monster like him, you've made your choice.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Cincinnati Bengals are hiring Art Briles.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

GD_American posted:

Nah. gently caress em. It doesn't matter whether they hired him or not. When you kick the tires on a loving monster like him, you've made your choice.

I mean it was pretty much the football staff doing it on their own by all indications and it probably remains to be seen if how much longer Hopson is there. Going behind the administration's back on something like that and then publicly pitching a fit when they find out and tell you no is probably not a great for your job security

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Art Briles is gonna get hired at Liberty.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

AsInHowe posted:

Him working for Hugh Freeze would be incredible.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Him working for Hugh Freeze would be incredible.

Who needs hookers when they can just assault the religious girls

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened yet. When they hired Baylor's AD, I figured he'd be the first call.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
This owns

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Briles must really want to coach, it would've been really easy for him to take his money and never be heard from again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe he can go to the XFL and finally finish off Bob Stoops.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Art Briles sounds like a rejection of the Pop Art movement that was taking place at Warhol's Factory. Only it was based out of a flaming dumpster that turned a blind eye to sexual deviancy.

Maybe art briles is pop art...

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

iwentdoodie posted:

There aren't many college discussions weirder then having a guy at my church yell at me for not supporting Liberty and Michigan State, because schools like Michigan are trying to instill liberal anti-rape thinking into colleges nationwide. Incredibly bizarre that have a guy be so for football players raping girls on campus when his daughter was a Liberty cheerleader.

Also, his daughter got in trouble for posting some blackface photos on Facebook, because the state of Virginia apparently.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I freaking love art briles!!!!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

shart biles

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Cavauro posted:

shart biles

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
let it be known that some joyless cretin reported cavuaro in this bad thread and some dumb mod probated him

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Forum moderator? More like fordumb baderator

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

This thread is Art Briles

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Cavauro posted:

shart biles

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol at someone stanning for fart briles and reporting this

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wasn't me, I don't have premium.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cavauro posted:

shart biles

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am shart briles

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I heard Shart Briles turned a blind eye to some pretty heinous poo poo for the sake of his football program

Edit: I'm just going to throw this out there and hope it doesn't rankle the community of his apparent supporters lurking here. I don't think Shart Briles is a decent man. In fact I think he is a very bad man

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

I heard Shart Briles turned a blind eye to some pretty heinous poo poo for the sake of his football program

So you are saying Shart Briles was silent, but deadly

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

As the saying goes

"He who smells it must cover it up for the sake of the football program"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Odd you'd say that, the chair of the Baylor Board of Regents actually thought the same way

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Why do the mods suddenly have it out for the AFCN posters. Is it because the Browns finally won the Superbowl?

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 8, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GD_American posted:

Odd you'd say that, the chair of the Baylor Board of Regents actually thought the same way

Richard Willis was a bad man in a bad school filled with bad people

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I'm glad of Art Briles

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Richard Willis was a bad man in a bad school filled with bad people

He used to be named Richard Willis Shermerhorn, but then he changed it to Richard Shermerhorn Willis because he though his old name sounded stupid or something.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the only satisfaction a good-hearted whistleblower can get in this world is reading the public discussion of the thing you weren't allowed to say, and all of that discussion going unpunished because it's too big now.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Cavauro posted:

the only satisfaction a good-hearted whistleblower can get in this world is reading the public discussion of the thing you weren't allowed to say, and all of that discussion going unpunished because it's too big now.

At a certain point in your posting career you become, like The Beatles, "bigger than Jesus"

Your probation shows you aren't there yet, dahling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pretend like they are going To start kissing.