Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Twlight posted:

I never really noticed any of this, admittedly I logged back in yesterday and had a CP i was taking go from level 1 to level 3 automatically. The chaos, to me, was part of the fun. or if friendly AI squads were busy, I always imagined it being somewhat more realistic as these squads cant be in two places at once. I also realize this probably isn't "fun" game play for most but I enjoyed it.

I just took an hour to capture three CPs because their associated activities suddenly didn't count. I only made it to three because right before I logged out one flipped at random. A large portion of that time was just running followed by disappointment, and that's not exactly fun. If there was some sort of strategy or the map made it possible to jump on/avoid volatile CPs that'd be interesting but farming blueprints by the good graces of control point randomness is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there’s anything attacking a CP - friendly to enemy or enemy to enemy - it won’t level up and that’s annoying. The attackers don’t even count as an event for targeted loot. If those are replaced by patrols between points would be better but eliminating them would be fine too.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 25, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Farming level 4 cp's is the least fun grind in the game while simultaneously being one of the longest and most important.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

buttchugging adderall posted:

There a PC clan going? I'm getting into this game right now, uplay is c_stump_b_stump.

I'll pick you up

tweet my meat posted:

Farming level 4 cp's is the least fun grind in the game while simultaneously being one of the longest and most important.

CP4s rock and auto maxed out CP4s will rock even harder

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
If we've got PC clan admins on, please invite Kris_xK to one so I can shoot stuff with you.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Kris xK posted:

If we've got PC clan admins on, please invite Kris_xK to one so I can shoot stuff with you.

I'll pick you up

EDIT: You might not have unlocked clans just yet. You'll know when you do. Search for Pi Hard and join us when you're ready.

Everyone that joined a clan here: Make sure you get into the discord, it's the real clan. You'll be way more likely to find people to play with in there and do bigger stuff like raid/dz.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

nerdz posted:

I'll pick you up

EDIT: You might not have unlocked clans just yet. You'll know when you do. Search for Pi Hard and join us when you're ready.

Everyone that joined a clan here: Make sure you get into the discord, it's the real clan. You'll be way more likely to find people to play with in there and do bigger stuff like raid/dz.

Hm, I've definitely got them unlocked as I was in one before and got purged. Ill search for it tonight.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kris xK posted:

Hm, I've definitely got them unlocked as I was in one before and got purged. Ill search for it tonight.

scratch that, clan server was bugging out. got you. Join the discord though

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I love grinding out level 4 cp's. You get to do all of your favorite activities like running around for 5 minutes to go do a menial task to pump up the alert level, running for 5 more minutes to do another menial task, or my personal favorite, running around for another 5 minutes to do a third menial task. Then you get to take on a fight that's just easy enough to be kinda boring, but just hard enough to require your attention and take a while. Your reward for your effort is that maybe you get a useful blueprint, but probably not because maybe 75% or so of the blueprints aren't actually that useful.

The loot is ok, but you'd get better loot running challenging/heroic missions which have the added bonus of actually being fun.

Having them be auto maxed out sounds pretty nice though if that's going to happen in the update. It would go from a boring slog to an alright grind that I wouldn't mind at all.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

I love grinding out level 4 cp's. You get to do all of your favorite activities like running around for 5 minutes to go do a menial task to pump up the alert level, running for 5 more minutes to do another menial task, or my personal favorite, running around for another 5 minutes to do a third menial task. Then you get to take on a fight that's just easy enough to be kinda boring, but just hard enough to require your attention and take a while. Your reward for your effort is that maybe you get a useful blueprint, but probably not because maybe 75% or so of the blueprints aren't actually that useful.

The loot is ok, but you'd get better loot running challenging/heroic missions which have the added bonus of actually being fun.

Having them be auto maxed out sounds pretty nice though if that's going to happen in the update. It would go from a boring slog to an alright grind that I wouldn't mind at all.

Yeah I mean you're not seeing the full picture here. Leveling up CPs are one of the very few activities that keep the open world alive and lets you walk around and not have the game be just a dead world with fast travel points. Being able to set the entire open world to heroic will make even the menial stuff challenging so even random patrols could pose a threat if you're caught unaware. Holding off that propaganda broadcast might be more fun when you actually have a chance of dying.

I'll just hit the CPs directly though, maybe pick up a few activities on the way.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Also them removing DTE means it'll be somewhat of a challenge again.

They'll probably re-tune everything, but not to the point where DTE used to trivialize all elite and named enemies.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

UnknownMercenary posted:

Also them removing DTE means it'll be somewhat of a challenge again.

They'll probably re-tune everything, but not to the point where DTE used to trivialize all elite and named enemies.

yeah, CP4s have waaaay more elites than regular heroic missions, that alone will make them a lot spicier. I think CP4s might be pretty much all elites actually.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jimbot posted:

What's everyone's preferred Assault Rifle and why? I'm liking the FAMAS but even with a stability mod it's kind of a pain to control but the RPM is really great and can melt enemies when you just aim for the chest and squeeze.

Eagle Bearer (crit builds make this a monster)
Police M4 and FAMAS (both have high burst damage, which is what I prioritize)

Chameleon might be interesting if they fix the damage for it

that's about it for me

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Jimbot posted:

What's everyone's preferred Assault Rifle and why? I'm liking the FAMAS but even with a stability mod it's kind of a pain to control but the RPM is really great and can melt enemies when you just aim for the chest and squeeze.

Pyromaniac ( Named Police M4 with Perfect Ignited - Kill 2 guys and set the third on fire and +30% damage to dudes on fire ) for me at the moment, my current build includes Wicked Gloves, Vigilance, and Spark ( Merciless as my secondary ). DPS goes through the roof when I proc all of my damage bonuses and the setup is specialization agnostic. Because I'm running 10 Offense 6 Defense attributes I can't use Creeping Death, and I'm using the flame turret to set stuff on fire and proc Ignited on demand.
Prior to that I had been using P416 with Sadistic and Knee Cap gloves, but I feel like I've been getting more mileage by setting stuff on fire.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 25, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Any clans recruiting for PC? I plan on diving back into this hard. Div 1 DZ was the most fun (and most hacked/frustrating) PvP since DayZ beta and I'm happy to see Div 2 get revived like this.

I never unsubscribed this thread :911:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

:tfrxmas:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

H*ck yes. People in this thread know what's up and wear that Hawaiian shirt. Best shirt in the game right now.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The Outcast pants are also good, even if we can't use the hammer on 'em

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Any clans recruiting for PC? I plan on diving back into this hard. Div 1 DZ was the most fun (and most hacked/frustrating) PvP since DayZ beta and I'm happy to see Div 2 get revived like this.

I never unsubscribed this thread :911:

please get in on the discord and let us know your Uplay handle on the division clan channel

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

ZombyDog posted:

Pyromaniac ( Named Police M4 with Perfect Ignited - Kill 2 guys and set the third on fire and +30% damage to dudes on fire ) for me at the moment, my current build includes Wicked Gloves, Vigilance, and Spark ( Merciless as my secondary ). DPS goes through the roof when I proc all of my damage bonuses and the setup is specialization agnostic. Because I'm running 10 Offense 6 Defense attributes I can't use Creeping Death, and I'm using the flame turret to set stuff on fire and proc Ignited on demand.
Prior to that I had been using P416 with Sadistic and Knee Cap gloves, but I feel like I've been getting more mileage by setting stuff on fire.

I’m using nearly the same build now around pyromaniac, Firewall, perfectly wicked. I have a bunch more in defense to run perfectly unbreakable though so I can charge at people with the shield up and set them on fire or shoot them. I just learned you can fire the chem launcher while the ballistic shield is up so yeah I now been firing that at people point blank to ignite them and keep firing pyro. It’s just fire everywhere.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Also, does Wicked proc off of Peatilence? I’ve been running under the assumption that it does and since every drat hit in a target procs the debuff it would keep the weapon buff up constantly? God drat do I love pestilence. Haven’t unequipped it since I started playing again.

I’m liking a fire build but I still think the technician sadist hive type build is easier and more fun.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I think I stopped playing around the time the first raid dropped. Thinking about picking it back up now that a couple friends are getting it due to the $3 sale. Anything I should know about?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I think I stopped playing around the time the first raid dropped. Thinking about picking it back up now that a couple friends are getting it due to the $3 sale. Anything I should know about?

You probably the umpteenth person on the thread saying this (including me) so what you need to know is:
* Game good now!
* All specs have stuff and it's not just AR+Sharpshooter (even though it's mostly still ARs)
* Gear reset incoming with the expansion next week, so don't worry about farming/retaining gear and just go with whatever is fun.
* There's three new specs and (unless you have the year 1 pass) they all have multi-tiered objectives to unlock.
* Things it's a good idea to get now because they'll persist: cosmetics, specialization unlocks, specialization points, blueprints
* There's a bunch of new content in the form of areas you fly to by helicopter. These are all long-ish on par with strongholds. Coney Island is the prelude to the expansion content.
* You can "recruit" your friends in their first seven days to get free cosmetics and also they'll get a weapon and some apparel keys. This is assuming it works, which it didn't for me.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I’m the same. I’ve been playing for only 5 or so days now. The classified missions (if you have them) or side missions are a good way to get your head back in the mechanics. Then pick a way you want to play, defensive (all blue based powers for armor regen and such), offensive (reds, tons of weapon power), or shade wizard (yellow stacking “+### skill points” perks on armor pieces to fit high skill requiring mods to your skills). Once you’ve decided that, start playing with whatever you have on hand for a while and slowly build up your armor and weapon choices to match your play style. Pick a specialization that compliments it. Like, technician for a wizard build is very good. An offensive or defensive build is pretty versatile for the other specializations.

If you get to the point where you’re thinking of recalibration gear to make the perfect loadout, so it sparingly, because what you should be doing is running missions and activities and looting everything and doing a mix of selling and dismantling gear like crazy to hoard materials and money. The expansion is going to make all of your gear obsolete probably 30 minutes into it. But materials for crafting and recalibration, and cash on hand.. that’ll give you the best leg up.

Go around and collect as many SHD tech caches as you can to upgrade your stuff.

Run the daily, weekly things on challenging (be sure to matchmake, usually you can if not pick a different mission) for loot to dismantle or sell and to better your loadout.

For the story, run any year 1 main missions you haven’t done, then camp white oak, then the zoo, then Coney Island in that order to get the plot progression.

The classified missions are fun and each have a fairly challenging little puzzle to figure out and the reward is backpack dongles and cosmetics.

It might be good to go around using YouTube tutorials and get the exotics your missing. The ones that are easily obtainable by way of player action within a week’s time are Liberty handgun (need a yellow D50 sidearm so be sure if one drops to keep it or craft one), chatterbox smg, pestilence drops fairly regularly from named bad guys in the DZ. The others all drop from final bosses of main missions. The nemesis sniper takes a few weeks to get all the parts but you can start it right now by playing the tidal basin stronghold and finding the key/looting the sniper rifle from the room near the end and carry on week after week from there.

Most every activity gives the same general loot. Tons of yellow stuff. The benefit of challenging missions is that you can get named gear, which are like a weapon with a name like “artists tool”, or “pyromaniac,” or armor pieces like “zero F’s”. The name is in a yellow font. They all have Perfect versions of the perks found in everything else. For instance, unbreakable skill is one on many armors that if your armor breaks to zero it immediately recharged back up to 70%, will be available maybe every 60 seconds. But Zero F’s chest piece has Perfectly Unbreakable where you get 100% of your armor back and using an armor kit within a few second window does some other bonus stuff for you. They are super good gear. Keep all of it. The non-perfect perks they have can also be recalibrated (read:swapped out) with a different perk to make it literally the perfect piece for you! I am phone posting so might have some of the names above wrong but that’s the general idea.

There are a lot of green colored gear sets now. They’re all pretty good. I’ve been keeping every piece I get and throwing them in the stash for now.

Also, big tip. Be sure your backpack inventory has plenty of room before running any mission. You need to Hoover up the loot before the missions end and if it’s full you might run out of time fuddling around trying to make room and not get to pick up stuff. There’s no mailbox service for dropped uncollected loot like in destiny. I empty my backpack into the stash and make sure I am at at least 50/100 before any big mission. You can actually get 50 pieces of loot in a long mission. That includes all those confusing gear and skill mods too so empty that part into the stash often too.

Be sure to keep skill mods that are purple and low gear score because often their skill power requirements are only a few hundred skill points and those you can at least still fit if you’re not playing a high skill point wizard build. Don’t dismantle them just because they’re purple/not Gs 500!

Everything is fun. The AI and weapon play and skill powers are tons better than they used to be. I’ve been having an absolute blast. I’ve only been playing these 5 days and already have really well fitted loadouts for being a wizard, and an indestructible ballistic shield dude.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m the same. I’ve been playing for only 5 or so days now. The classified missions (if you have them) or side missions are a good way to get your head back in the mechanics. Then pick a way you want to play, defensive (all blue based powers for armor regen and such), offensive (reds, tons of weapon power), or shade wizard (yellow stacking “+### skill points” perks on armor pieces to fit high skill requiring mods to your skills). Once you’ve decided that, start playing with whatever you have on hand for a while and slowly build up your armor and weapon choices to match your play style. Pick a specialization that compliments it. Like, technician for a wizard build is very good. An offensive or defensive build is pretty versatile for the other specializations.

If you get to the point where you’re thinking of recalibration gear to make the perfect loadout, so it sparingly, because what you should be doing is running missions and activities and looting everything and doing a mix of selling and dismantling gear like crazy to hoard materials and money. The expansion is going to make all of your gear obsolete probably 30 minutes into it. But materials for crafting and recalibration, and cash on hand.. that’ll give you the best leg up.

Go around and collect as many SHD tech caches as you can to upgrade your stuff.

Run the daily, weekly things on challenging (be sure to matchmake, usually you can if not pick a different mission) for loot to dismantle or sell and to better your loadout.

For the story, run any year 1 main missions you haven’t done, then camp white oak, then the zoo, then Coney Island in that order to get the plot progression.

The classified missions are fun and each have a fairly challenging little puzzle to figure out and the reward is backpack dongles and cosmetics.

It might be good to go around using YouTube tutorials and get the exotics your missing. The ones that are easily obtainable by way of player action within a week’s time are Liberty handgun (need a yellow D50 sidearm so be sure if one drops to keep it or craft one), chatterbox smg, pestilence drops fairly regularly from named bad guys in the DZ. The others all drop from final bosses of main missions. The nemesis sniper takes a few weeks to get all the parts but you can start it right now by playing the tidal basin stronghold and finding the key/looting the sniper rifle from the room near the end and carry on week after week from there.

Most every activity gives the same general loot. Tons of yellow stuff. The benefit of challenging missions is that you can get named gear, which are like a weapon with a name like “artists tool”, or “pyromaniac,” or armor pieces like “zero F’s”. The name is in a yellow font. They all have Perfect versions of the perks found in everything else. For instance, unbreakable skill is one on many armors that if your armor breaks to zero it immediately recharged back up to 70%, will be available maybe every 60 seconds. But Zero F’s chest piece has Perfectly Unbreakable where you get 100% of your armor back and using an armor kit within a few second window does some other bonus stuff for you. They are super good gear. Keep all of it. The non-perfect perks they have can also be recalibrated (read:swapped out) with a different perk to make it literally the perfect piece for you! I am phone posting so might have some of the names above wrong but that’s the general idea.

There are a lot of green colored gear sets now. They’re all pretty good. I’ve been keeping every piece I get and throwing them in the stash for now.

Also, big tip. Be sure your backpack inventory has plenty of room before running any mission. You need to Hoover up the loot before the missions end and if it’s full you might run out of time fuddling around trying to make room and not get to pick up stuff. There’s no mailbox service for dropped uncollected loot like in destiny. I empty my backpack into the stash and make sure I am at at least 50/100 before any big mission. You can actually get 50 pieces of loot in a long mission. That includes all those confusing gear and skill mods too so empty that part into the stash often too.

Be sure to keep skill mods that are purple and low gear score because often their skill power requirements are only a few hundred skill points and those you can at least still fit if you’re not playing a high skill point wizard build. Don’t dismantle them just because they’re purple/not Gs 500!

Everything is fun. The AI and weapon play and skill powers are tons better than they used to be. I’ve been having an absolute blast. I’ve only been playing these 5 days and already have really well fitted loadouts for being a wizard, and an indestructible ballistic shield dude.

this is all great advice, but as someone else who has also returned after a long absence the big question for me is - what the gently caress is going on in that section with the mortars at The Zoo and how the hell do you get past it? It's madness.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Btw if you are definitely buying the expansion pre-ordering gives you a level 30 boost, but it also gives you a set of max level gear and fills out your skill trees for you. So if you are already level 30 from doing the story missions then whack that boost on your guy and it will skip all the (soon to be pointless) grind and get you expansion ready. You can also use it on as many characters as you like if you are so inclined.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

smellmycheese posted:

this is all great advice, but as someone else who has also returned after a long absence the big question for me is - what the gently caress is going on in that section with the mortars at The Zoo and how the hell do you get past it? It's madness.

If it's the section I'm thinking of, basically you have to keep moving, pushing up to get to the launchers. Watch out for the giant red circles so you don't get hit. It's definitely a tricky area since you can't just hide in cover forever and let the enemies come to you.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
When mortars (Hi! :shobon:) first show up, after you clear out the enemies, there's a closed door to the 'forward and right' of where you first entered that area. Like, if the door you first came out of was north, you're going to be going north east to find that door. But it won't let you advance until you secure the area.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

smellmycheese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E&t=102s

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Btw if you are definitely buying the expansion pre-ordering gives you a level 30 boost, but it also gives you a set of max level gear and fills out your skill trees for you. So if you are already level 30 from doing the story missions then whack that boost on your guy and it will skip all the (soon to be pointless) grind and get you expansion ready. You can also use it on as many characters as you like if you are so inclined.

How do you use the boost? I didnt see any option anywhere to use it.

I'd like to max out my sniper tree...

Estel
May 4, 2010
When logged to a character go into the store and there is a tab called dlc or something like that, you will have the option to apply the boost to that character in there.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

All 3 parts of kenly college are available. I’ve finished the library. It’s fun! Kind of cool little investigation missions. There’s also a ton of little hidden things. And then you get diamondback exotic rifle for all your troubles.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Does the preorder bump do anything to activity completion, or does it just dump specs and a gear set? I'm at WT2 right now so I wouldn't mind getting the spec points/gear but I don't want it to mark a bunch of stuff as completed and miss out on the story progression/etc.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

H2SO4 posted:

Does the preorder bump do anything to activity completion, or does it just dump specs and a gear set? I'm at WT2 right now so I wouldn't mind getting the spec points/gear but I don't want it to mark a bunch of stuff as completed and miss out on the story progression/etc.

It will mark absolutely everything on the map as completed so yeah, take your time. You got plenty until next week

also you can't do it with existing chars, only new ones

Estel
May 4, 2010
You can use it on created characters, I used it on a second character I had at level 15.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I have a weird situation, I preordered the expansion and have it in my order history on Uplay but it still shows as a thing I can buy in the in game store, not "owned" like all my other things like the year 1 pass and such. I don't think I have a boost available either (looked for it in the place the Ubisoft access guide says to) so it seems like I have an issue.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

nerdz posted:

It will mark absolutely everything on the map as completed so yeah, take your time. You got plenty until next week

also you can't do it with existing chars, only new ones

Some of the side missions and such would give you blueprints as rewards, and then you gotta grind the rest. If you use a booster, do you get any blueprints or do I have to get them all via projects and Cps?

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
So I played Div1 a LOT so when I saw this on sale on ps4 I grabbed it.

Do I need to worry too much starting out which skills I start with? Any basic recommendations I should bear in mind?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AggroJagg posted:

So I played Div1 a LOT so when I saw this on sale on ps4 I grabbed it.

Do I need to worry too much starting out which skills I start with? Any basic recommendations I should bear in mind?

I'd go with reviver hive and a heal of sorts to start out. Loot and gear are getting a big overhaul next week so don't worry too much about stuff to hang onto until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Am I the only one that finds it hard to make anything out in this game? The environmental and lighting effects are so over the top that it makes everything muddy and blurry. Even when I'm in sunlight, it's all washed out and overbusy so enemies and cover and such can be hard to determine without focusing. And then you get effects like darkness at night, rain, the "early morning" sunlight... I've tried playing with the graphical settings (PS4) and other than jacking up the brightness it doesn't seem to help.