Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Equipped with reins, a saddle, ... and Other Things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I read through le Morte d'Arthur for the first time a year or two back. Before that, my only familiarity with Arthurian legends was through pop-culture osmosis. I was, uh, very surprised.

There’s absolutely no sense of internal continuity.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like how many goddamn times is Lancelot going to have to save Guinevere from getting burnt at the stake? I'm starting to see why they have versions where Arthur openly hates her. Though I'm wondering if it's either a recycled script or variations that sprung from the same story all getting canonised like how comic books that recycle the same plot with different characters end up with all of it canon.

Yeah, Morte D'Arthur is just Malory compiling every king arthur story he can find into a single english anthology because he's in prison for rape and has nothing better to do with his time.

naem
May 29, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Morte D'Arthur is just Malory compiling every king arthur story he can find into a single english anthology because he's in prison for rape and has nothing better to do with his time.

I was going to post about the oral tradition of telling fairytales around the campfire where the only goal is to tell a good yarn and you change everything to suit your needs but this probably explains it better

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Half the scenes in Don Quixote are people loving with him by making up tales of chivalry on the spot

At one point there's a group of people trying to trick him into coming down from a mountain where he has chosen to do penance until his lady Dulcinea notices him and a woman pretends to be a (blonde, white) princess of a part of Nigeria and forgets what her fake name is supposed to be and another guy corrects her and Don Quixote is like "ah yes, your troubles must have messed up your memory, it would happen to anyone" every time there's an inconsistency in her story

Sancho Panza even thinks to himself that it's weird that this woman is white in spite of being from Africa but thinks it doesn't matter because once Don Quixote marries her and grants him a Viceroyship or whatever that his subjects will be black and he can sell them at fair market value to recoup the cost of the journey to Africa. Don Quixote promptly beats him for suggesting he betray his lady by marrying this woman

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Don Quixote also contains a brilliant takedown of nice guys. Quixote and Sancho attend the funeral of Grisóstomo, who died of a broken heart after the beautiful shepherdess Marcela rejected his love. The funeral-goers accuse Marcela of being a heartless bitch who cruelly toys with the hearts of her dozens of suitors, so Marcela appears and starts dropping some truth-bombs:

Marcela posted:

You all say that heaven made me beautiful, so much so that this beauty of mine, with a force you can’t resist, makes you love me; and you say and even demand that, in return for the love you show me, I must love you. By the natural understanding which God has granted me I know that whatever is beautiful is lovable; but I can’t conceive why, for this reason alone, a woman who’s loved for her beauty should be obliged to love whoever loves her. What’s more, it could happen that the lover of beauty is ugly, and since that which is ugly is loathsome, it isn’t very fitting for him to say: ‘I love you because you’re beautiful; you must love me even though I’m ugly.’

Why do you think I should be obliged to give in to you, just because you say you love me dearly? Or else tell me this: if heaven had made me ugly instead of beautiful, would I have been right to complain about you for not loving me? I was born free, and to live free I chose the solitude of the countryside…I have never given any hope to Grisóstomo or fulfilled any man’s desires, so it can truly be said of all of them that they were killed by their own obstinacy rather than by my cruelty.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
meanwhile, quixote is probably making GBS threads in a bush

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One thing that King Arthur Pendragon captures so well about the stories is that knights are the biggest loving drama queens. You get huge combat bonuses if something's particularly inspired you or pissed you off and there's a system for going mad and running nude into the woods (often because trying to be a drama queen backfired or worked too well) and spending a year or two as a wandering madman hanging out with hermits, woodcutters or fairies.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Unkempt posted:

Ron the spear.

This is great!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One thing that King Arthur Pendragon captures so well about the stories is that knights are the biggest loving drama queens. You get huge combat bonuses if something's particularly inspired you or pissed you off and there's a system for going mad and running nude into the woods (often because trying to be a drama queen backfired or worked too well) and spending a year or two as a wandering madman hanging out with hermits, woodcutters or fairies.

You know I've never looked into this game, but I'm starting to feel like I ought to.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds like my friday night hur hur

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

unimportantguy posted:

You know I've never looked into this game, but I'm starting to feel like I ought to.

I haven't actually gotten around to playing the drat thing myself, though I hear the system is adequate, if a bit clunky and complicated. No more so than regular ol Dungeons and Dragons mind. (and probably better designed than half of D&D editions because at least it has a very clear idea of what it's made for) It's pretty interesting in the advancement system; characters are expected to do most of the adventuring and warring in the summer and retire to their manors for the winter phase, where they do the equivalent of levelling up as well as ageing, having kids (who can grow up to be playable characters themselves) and holding feasts.

There's recently been released a spinoff game in a modified version of the same system, called Paladin, which transposes the setting to Charlemagne's kingdom. (which King Arthur heavily ripped off in the first place, bringing it full circle)

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

shout out to my main monk nennius

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jimmy Noskill posted:

There’s also a bit where King Arthur fights a giant who has split a woman in half with his giant dong. That was strange.

lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Arrhythmia posted:

meanwhile, quixote is probably making GBS threads in a bush

I like the part where Sancho has to take a massive poo poo but doesn't want to alert Don Quixote so he has to sneak off and poo poo as quietly as possible and gets scolded for the stench

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

unimportantguy posted:

I have, in fact, met a woman named Guenevere. I was 13. She threatened to kidnap me because it was "destiny."

Edit: pick lemme know if you want me to stop making GBS threads up your thread with this stuff :v

Did she live in Alaska? Have you told this story before?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No one talking about Tirant lo Blanch :smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

unimportantguy posted:

I have, in fact, met a woman named Guenevere. I was 13. She threatened to kidnap me because it was "destiny."

Edit: pick lemme know if you want me to stop making GBS threads up your thread with this stuff :v

idgaf about this thread any more since book scans are ~problematic~ now

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Doc Hawkins posted:

Did she live in Alaska? Have you told this story before?

I'm pretty sure I haven't told this story here before because I mostly lurk. It was at a Rennaissance Faire in central California iirc.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pick posted:

idgaf about this thread any more since book scans are ~problematic~ now

Says whom

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's Vulgate Cycle, OP.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Paladinus going for the record of oldest thread resurrection

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mozi posted:

king arthur was a bit hit and miss as a king, but as a flour maker, he's pretty top notch.

Better name for baking supplies than King Alfred.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJc2tH3WBw

So, I didn't notice that anyone had mentioned this here, thus far.

Thoughts? Other than that summer release possibly not being so likely now?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
in college we read the morte d'arthur and the book we used had it all printed in cool old fashioned font and it ruled

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm turbo jazzed because I really like that director

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Coronavirus gtfo so I can watch this

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Tgdr

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
The Miniseries staring Sam Neil was the best Arthur depiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Salty Josh posted:

The Miniseries staring Sam Neil was the best Arthur depiction.
it had the best characters and the evil lady was sexy but excalibur was the best overall depiction