Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jack Trades posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really know what to do with the Mirage Edge? I don't really find it useful other than for doing an occasional Round Trip or Drive Drive Overdrive,.

It's good for parries since it has 2 hits for every part of it's combo and the launcher is pretty active. It's best move is the Drive though since those waves just do so much much damage on their own. Let alone what the follow up wave can do when you hold the button down afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

did they make it so the ps5 pad uses those cool butt triggers when you rev red queen?

In Special Edition, yes.

I actually had to turn it off because it was throwing my Exceed timing though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mirage Edge is a good "bridge" in between Beowulf and Yamato, yeah. Its super is also notable for being what seems to be the most cost effective super for shattering Urizen's crystal.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Also it's a Psycho Crusher with swords, and therefore the best.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
Here's something interesting that I discovered in The Void.
Deep Stinger does only 20% more damage (against a single enemy) than the SDT Yamato Combo A, because it gets a really strong last hit.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Speaking of DMC4, I’m toying with getting it on steam but the thought of the savior fight stops me. Was there a trick to actually doing it quickly? i could never figure out how the map is put together in my head and it always ended up taking me forever without any fighting.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Boxman posted:

Speaking of DMC4, I’m toying with getting it on steam but the thought of the savior fight stops me. Was there a trick to actually doing it quickly? i could never figure out how the map is put together in my head and it always ended up taking me forever without any fighting.

It's been a few years, but if memory serves the Savior fight is deceptively straightforward. I think you have to approach it like Streets of Rage and constantly try to keep moving left to right.

Alternatively, you could check out a DMC4 speedrun and see if what they do is feasible

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Yeah the Savior fight sucks butt, but it's pretty consistent once you figure out what you wanna do. Climb up on its arm if you get a chance so you can destroy some shoulder crystals and especially the head crystal, and otherwise keep platform-hopping till you find the cannons to use. Once you knock the Savior over with a cannon, you REALLY want to kill that back crystal, because I don't think there was another way to reach it. It's also a great opportunity to destroy the leg crystals. The platform layout is consistent when you knock Savior over so, with time, you'll learn which path goes where so you can destroy the more annoying crystals.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Whoever decided that completing Dante Must Die as Vergil doesn't count for the achievement is a meanie head :sigh: At least super Virgil is cool. The wierd thing being i haden't beaten Son of Sparda in the regular game yet but it counted it when i did it as Vergil first.

In my confusion of not getting an achievement i looked at the list and noticed some of them are oddly specific and weirdly worded (something like avoid unnesscery offense and complete mission 15? Don't let V's pets get killed in i think it's 9? Very odd

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I feel like a lot of gameplay I see of this (or any DMC really) turns into "how flashy and obnoxious can i make this combo", how is the game if you're...slower? Maybe this isn't the game for that, idk. I've just been seeing a lot of hype recently with Vergil (and a LOT of memes and poo poo on youtube with bury the light which is very good) and I'm thinking about picking it up if it's ever on sale for PS4 in a month or two, but I'm not sure it's the kind of game I'd get a lot of enjoyment out of if it's designed to be spergy and combo heavy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The flashy stuff is mainly just for style. You can be completely fine relying on a couple of easy to execute bread and butter combos for most situations, mixing in some other moves as you see fit if you're feeling frisky.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation

Thumbtacks posted:

I feel like a lot of gameplay I see of this (or any DMC really) turns into "how flashy and obnoxious can i make this combo", how is the game if you're...slower? Maybe this isn't the game for that, idk. I've just been seeing a lot of hype recently with Vergil (and a LOT of memes and poo poo on youtube with bury the light which is very good) and I'm thinking about picking it up if it's ever on sale for PS4 in a month or two, but I'm not sure it's the kind of game I'd get a lot of enjoyment out of if it's designed to be spergy and combo heavy.

This kind of game is really all about getting better at styling than you previously were more than anything else and there are a million difficulty modes to scale the game in both directions.
So I'm sure it'll work fine for you too, just start on the lower difficulty maybe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The normal difficulty setting is very button mashy, it isn't hard to look good at all even if you're not exactly S-ranking levels right off the bat.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Thumbtacks posted:

Well, there two kinds of aspirations for people who want to “git gud” at DMC.

1) is the flashy Truestyle stuff you’re describing

2) is just learning some bread and butter combo chains to master, maybe like 1 for each weapon, and just maximizing that combo’s impact.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Goddamn why is Judgement Cut End so hard to pull off. Full Motivation, Full SDT bar and I keep doing regular attacks.

Andrew Lime
Oct 9, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

The gameplay is very fun even if you're not doing any of the crazy combos. Hell, they really are only fun when you do them because you *can*, you never *have to*.

I remember really enjoying DMC3 before I was any good at the games, and I just did regular combos and jumped around.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Thumbtacks posted:

In addition to what everyone else mentioned, there is an automatic mode you can enable (with a score penalty) that will do the combos for you. You still need to press the attack button but what the button will do is dynamic while that mode is enabled.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Kikas posted:

Goddamn why is Judgement Cut End so hard to pull off. Full Motivation, Full SDT bar and I keep doing regular attacks.

Remember to be holding lock on before you press forward and press both buttons at the same time. If you're doing it correctly you will be able to pull it off out of combat as well even when not actually locked on to something.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Brutakas posted:

In addition to what everyone else mentioned, there is an automatic mode you can enable (with a score penalty) that will do the combos for you. You still need to press the attack button but what the button will do is dynamic while that mode is enabled.

that's actually really smart, i'll keep that in mind

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Does the songs that come with buying Vergil unlock on beating Bloody Palace or something? That's the only thing i havent' done with Vergil yet and it says the songs are unlockable through normal gameplay in the store.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I believe you have to beat Dante in the competition during the credits.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

The Shame Boy posted:

Does the songs that come with buying Vergil unlock on beating Bloody Palace or something? That's the only thing i havent' done with Vergil yet and it says the songs are unlockable through normal gameplay in the store.

It's *something* to do with the credits sequence of Mission 20, but I have no idea what. I beat Dante in the credits in Human, Devil Hunter, Son of Sparda, and DMD modes and it refused to unlock. I heard that you have to get the killing blow on certain enemies in the sequence (Behemoth and/or Fury) so I tried that and it refused to unlock. A friend of mine used Super Vergil in the credits sequence on Son of Sparda difficulty to spam Judgement Cut End and unlocked it that way, so I tried that and it still didn't unlock. I tried it a second time and... this time it DID unlock. :shrug:

So it's something to do with that credits sequence but I have no idea of the exact unlock conditions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've beaten BP and DMD with Vergil and perfected those missions I care to perfect (so basically M19 and 20), and if anything, I honestly wish Dante was more difficult. Vergil is so brokenly good once you figure him out, jeez.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

toasterwarrior posted:

Vergil is so brokenly good once you figure him out, jeez.

That's kind of his thing in his playable appearances for sure.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Even in Marvel!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Strelok604 posted:

Even in Marvel!

Remember the days when Wesker was the most top tier character that wasen't Dark Pheonix :allears:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

Remember the days when Wesker was the most top tier character that wasen't Dark Pheonix :allears:

Sounds like he wasn't motivated enough to keep the top spot. :colbert:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NU8vH39BoU

This video is really cool because I had no idea that the composer was a DMC superfan and Vergil is his favorite of character. Apparently CAPCOM were super hands off with Devil Trigger but had tons of restrictions and suggestions for Bury the Light and that forced him to get super creative.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 10, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
DMC5 Vergil inspired me to play DMC3 Vergil, having never played Virgil in any of the games before DMC5, and he's...not that fun really?
I haven't unlocked Darkslayer lvl3 yet, so I don't know what's hiding there, but he's kinda meh so far. Especially since he doesn't have any good aerial options and the Judgement Cut is kinda bad.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

DMC3 Vergil is all about making use of your admittedly limited toolkit to handle problems as quickly as you can before they get out of hand. He's the character you'll want to learn Jump Cancelling on the most since Yamato's Aerial Rave and the Beo Divekick do absolutely disgusting damage when you can jump cancel spam them. It's not about being as flashy as Dante, it's about just crushing rooms with overwhelming force.

Of course, he has gotten more variety and interesting things in his kit as time has gone on, with 5 being the absolute best iteration IMO. Also the most batshit, with your teleport range just being Yes. I can see how moving back to 3 is jarring and disappointing for sure.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Finished DMC3 with Vergil. Once I've gotten Spiral Swords everything started to melt especially together with Lunar Phase lvl 2. All the encounters I had problems with when playing Dante were total jokes with Vergil.
Still shame about Judgement Cut being so difficult to use in that game, it's so slow and has no tracking at all. The only times I found it to be useful was against chess pieces since they're also slow as gently caress and also that judgement cut backdash evades all their melee attacks.

Started DMC4 Vergil and he's feeling a lot better. I like some of the DMC4 Vergil animations a lot more than DMC5's even. Although I can't really articulate why.
Did Vergil lose the ability to make several judgement cuts in a row though? I can't figure out how to do it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Finished DMC3 with Vergil. Once I've gotten Spiral Swords everything started to melt especially together with Lunar Phase lvl 2. All the encounters I had problems with when playing Dante were total jokes with Vergil.
Still shame about Judgement Cut being so difficult to use in that game, it's so slow and has no tracking at all. The only times I found it to be useful was against chess pieces since they're also slow as gently caress and also that judgement cut backdash evades all their melee attacks.

Started DMC4 Vergil and he's feeling a lot better. I like some of the DMC4 Vergil animations a lot more than DMC5's even. Although I can't really articulate why.
Did Vergil lose the ability to make several judgement cuts in a row though? I can't figure out how to do it.

The timing is insanely tight and every attack has its own window.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

In DMC4 you can only chain them through a bug where you trick in the air as you release a perfect JC, and it's incredibly tight and very tricky(heh), but super satisfying to pull off.

In 5 at least the timing is still very strict but you don't need to take advantage of weird bugs to chain 3 in a row (4 if you deliberately beef the first one).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1352673633395740674?s=20

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Help I can't stop using dual rocket launchers in GS and it's making things too easy!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I decided to play through the DMC HD collection and I got to DMC3 and... man this version of the game seems to be considered the best one but also needs a LOT of work. Right now I guess I'm just going to use all the mods that pcgamingwiki recommends, but I'd be interested in input from you guys. Seems surprising to me that nobody's made an all-in-one fix for all the various flaws.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The Switch version has style switching and the radial wheel for weapons (which i'm curoius wasen't a thing that made it's way over to 5SE somehow I kinda prefer it to mashing a single button to change weapons) AND co-op bloody palace so that is probably the "best" version of 3 now.

Any other problems you might have with it, the game is from 2004 originally :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Shame Boy posted:

Any other problems you might have with it, the game is from 2004 originally :v:

no the HD version actually breaks some of the graphics compared to the PS2 version
one issue there is hair transparencies. in the original game dante's hair was transparent at its ends so you can see his eyes. in HD there is no transparency on his hair so his eyes are completely blocked in most cutscenes which makes it look really stupid

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 29, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Also the switch port has the same issues, you just can't fix them. And the cutscenes only run at 30 FPS. And even more effects are broken.

In the end, combining the various fixes from PCGW does result in a good experience, but I also had to frame limit the game to 60 with the Nvidia control panel in order to keep cutscenes synced (the game's internal frame limiter seems to be overly aggressive and drop below 60 during cutscenes sometimes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
What's with the hitbox on the Yamato in DMC5? I can't seem to clash anything with Yamato at all. Mirage Edge and Beowolf, clashing with enemies all day no problems, but Yamoto is no bueno for some reason.