Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DualShockers/status/1099399760023187456

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Dias posted:

He's getting it.

Yo what when? I kept hearing he didn't know what he was doing next. That's good it's his baby.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SirKibbles posted:

Yo what when? I kept hearing he didn't know what he was doing next. That's good it's his baby.

He told them he wanted to do dmc or did next and they told him he can do whatever he wants, then when the interviewer asked about dd he gave one of that specific sort of vague answers JP devs do when the answer is yes but they can't say yes

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
DD had a very satisfactory end from what I remember, but I wouldn't be opposed to playing a new one.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Dragon's Dogma is like my favorite game ever despite having a whole bunch of poo poo wrong with it, but I'll believe that franchise has been un-dumpstered when I'm playing DD2 and not before.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The fact that Itsuno got a choice between DMC5 and DD2 is already a good sign that they're looking into undumpstering it (is it a franchise if it only got one game tho?). I think as long as DMC5 does well, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, he's gonna get to work on it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
DD Online was a thing in like... China? So franchise.

Dragon’s Dogma is like a 7/10 of game to me BUT with some actually incredible ideas with combat. As long as they polish the overall presentation, and the balance of the rpg system, DD2 would be truly rocking.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nina posted:

DD Online was a thing in like... China? So franchise.

Dragon’s Dogma is like a 7/10 of game to me BUT with some actually incredible ideas with combat. As long as they polish the overall presentation, and the balance of the rpg system, DD2 would be truly rocking.

same, loved the combat, pretty much the best vocabulary of skills and attack options of any action RPG I've played. But man that story and presentation of what felt like a very boring medieval setting just quashed my will to finish that game. No doubt it would own on the new game engine they have now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
The last third of DD's story is actually loving awesome and does things I've never quite seen before.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yeah the story is kind of boring generic fantasy fare until you hit what I guess you would call the "postgame" and then poo poo hits the fan hard

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I hope a theoretical DD2 brings back some of the insane ideas they had for DD1 that never materialized. There are slides showing their original development plans out there and they were WILD. Including things such as visiting the moon and a giant interplanar tower where you could do things with other players.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
If I can get DMC5 and DD2 back to back then I can die a happy man.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m loving the 3 pages of “Dragon’s Dogma has all these AMAZING, MINDBLOWING story beats and combat mechanics” but like not a single post describing what they are

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m loving the 3 pages of “Dragon’s Dogma has all these AMAZING, MINDBLOWING story beats and combat mechanics” but like not a single post describing what they are

You need to play it yourself

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The worst aspect of the gameplay though is the balance and how healing items are handled. It's really stacked against any other strategy than just bringing a cubic ton of healing items and chugging them freely from the menu, unless you run into one of the crazy instakill enemies you tend to find in dungeons

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also mod infinite sprint into DD because gently caress that stamina bar.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

gently caress off, if you want it spoiled for you then google it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Bust Rodd posted:

This

Pomp posted:

You need to play it yourself
but also let me tell you my favorite DD story.

I will never forget one cliffside fight I had with some lizard people where I accidentally shot an explosive arrow at my feet (it explodes only when something else hits it) then noticed a lizardman doing a jump attack at me, so I rolled away, the lizardman landed straight onto the explosive arrow which exploded and ragdolled him right off the cliff.
My pawns were screaming for help but all I could do was to look down that cliff slack-jawed.

Also you can climb monsters to stab them in the eyes and if they're too small to climb they can be picked up and thrown off a cliff.
Also you can summon tornados.

Just loving play the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I hope a theoretical DD2 brings back some of the insane ideas they had for DD1 that never materialized. There are slides showing their original development plans out there and they were WILD. Including things such as visiting the moon and a giant interplanar tower where you could do things with other players.

this would have owned. at least now the Dragons Dogma brain trust can have a longer think about why they somehow didn't put a moon base in the game instead of ye olde who gives a gently caress for 20 hours until things "get good"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

DLC Inc posted:

this would have owned. at least now the Dragons Dogma brain trust can have a longer think about why they somehow didn't put a moon base in the game instead of ye olde who gives a gently caress for 20 hours until things "get good"

Things are good from the start when you climb a big dragon 30 seconds into the game and stab it directly in the butthole. :colbert:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
DD is real fun but some of the best moments come from the pawn system. A friend and I were doing simultaneous playthroughs when the pc version came out and we kept sending pics of each others pawns having unfortunate "accidents"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Jack Trades posted:

Things are good from the start when you climb a big dragon 30 seconds into the game and stab it directly in the butthole. :colbert:

EDIT: My bad, I forgot about the into bit that you have to play first where you get to throw your dumbass companions into a Chimera's lion mouth and while it's busy chewing on them you climb it's rear end and poke out all of it's 3 pairs of eyes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I did not care for Dragon's Dogma. It's also a very ugly game to look at, even with the PC re-release, and contains all those annoying last-gen design decisions you forgot about.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ReubenLangdon/status/1099712853525725185?s=19

Jesus Christ :stare:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

magic man looks super cool and I hope he's not some gimmick third wheel we only play as a small side gig to Nero and Dante

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They wouldn’t add a character after a decade just for him to suck

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

They wouldn’t add a character after a decade just for him to suck

well, except for every character in DmC

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Agnostalgia posted:

well, except for every character in DmC

Yeah I can't believe noted DmC dev Capcom did that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Looking at reddit and 4chan, seems like the prequel novel is out and there's some stuff translated/in process of translating.

So, be cautious if you want to avoid spoilers I guess.

the little I've seen tackles DMC2's events by having Dante return to Dumary island

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
https://youtu.be/NUjQN237u3Q?t=2083

Official V gameplay shown for the first time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

V looks soooo badass. The risk/reward of queuing up multiple killable enemies so you can chain-execute them for extra style points is gonna be fun to manage. Nightmare dynamically bursting into the play area when you summon it is so cool and flashy.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
V"s executions have powerful MGR energy

acksplode
May 17, 2004

As his summons drain the black from his hair. Somebody has a crush on Platinum.....

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m still really stoked for V, but I really get absolutely no sense of what’s an attack or command and what’s an incidental animation.

Watching Dante or Nero I can imagine how it’s going to control, that Video doesn’t really give me a sense of how V feels to play, just what it will look like.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m still really stoked for V, but I really get absolutely no sense of what’s an attack or command and what’s an incidental animation.

Watching Dante or Nero I can imagine how it’s going to control, that Video doesn’t really give me a sense of how V feels to play, just what it will look like.

I don't think there really ARE any incidental animations. Shadow is your sword button and Griffon is your gun button; Shadow has a pretty obvious tap-tap-tap combo going through a good portion of that video, and both of them have AoE explosions, launchers, and line attacks that will probably be Stinger inputs. They also seem to teleport to V or gravitate toward whatever he's locked onto at the time so their moves are less likely to whiff, and otherwise they move with him so you can rely on them being there for quick inputs. You just need to watch the pets instead of V himself, since he doesn't give many tells.

The wildcard is Nightmare, since you can't control him when he's summoned. Everything he does is up to him, apparently. The other two pets are entirely under your control.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Squidtentacle posted:

The wildcard is Nightmare, since you can't control him when he's summoned. Everything he does is up to him, apparently. The other two pets are entirely under your control.

V can jump on Nightmare, though, and control him directly. And while you're doing this you can kill enemies directly, too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yerp. And you can burn some devil trigger to make the cat and/or bird more powerful and automated.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Zaa Boogie posted:

V can jump on Nightmare, though, and control him directly. And while you're doing this you can kill enemies directly, too.

Oh right, I thought I was forgetting something. I haven't watched the video with audio yet.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s great. It reminds me of watching W101 gameplay without having played the game. It indecipherable and I love the prospect of getting to try it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
They also said that Syle Move/Devil Breaker button is the one you use for finishing off enemies, and you can combo this is a few enemies are in this state for massive style points.