Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

KonvexKonkav posted:

When you restart from a checkpoint but do not use an orb to revive you get an "1x multiplier".

Same deal if you use Red Orbs to revive once. Though I've only done the middle option for one full bar of health versus the third option which looks like it's just "a gold orb, but with red orbs" so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Hoo boy Cavaleire Angelo is loving my poo poo up real bad as Dante on DMD. I can get it to the point that it triggers but then I inevitably gently caress up once and die in three hits.

I unironically missed this so much.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 13, 2019

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

The difficulty curve in this one is much gentler than past DMC titles, but the gloves come right off in the latter half of SoS and DMD modes. Feels like a really nice balance of accessibility and challenge to me.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

Boy lemme tell you how good it feels to be hit by a DT'D Proto Angelo and lose 1/3 of your life

I also never seem to get anything other than CPU allies half of the time

More like 3/4 if he tags you with his bigass purple glowing sword swing. And then takes a billion more unflinching damage to die. HAha. HA. Jesus.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Fellblade posted:

As previously said it’s a puzzle rather than an intended way.

I did jump on axe guy with enemy step for about 7 seconds, air trick to bat, enemy step on bat until it flies away, air trick, enemy step, repeat. Plus a few gunslinger Ebony and Ivory at the end because I missed an enemy step.

I have no idea how you are supposed to do the V similar level though, I haven’t bought the ride on nightmare skill yet or enemy step so I assume it’s those.

Doing the shadow ride off the edge is like a stinger long jump. His Griffin glide and forward teleport handled the rest for me.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Fellblade posted:

Is this a separate move from the double jump?

I couldn’t get far enough with the ledge-run-jump, teleport and double jump.

Yeah if you hold the button you'll glide for about 3 seconds and its surprisingly useful for finding stuff!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Crowetron posted:

What is it about Mission 10 that makes it seem like scoring is so much more strict than the rest of the game? Even with the lowered requirements of Human mode, I still can't seem to S rank it.

Gonna be weird but seriously spam Dance Macabre once you get to B or so. Enemies literally cannot die until the final baseball swing and it really helps keep that style score up when things die too fast. Worked for me at least!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Looks like I'm buying DMC3 for the 6th time. drat.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1222912270679691265?s=19

Full free weapon switch confirmed too. drat, Free Style mode sounds fun af

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Local co-op has me jazzed. I was really hoping it'd be in DMC5 but I'm glad its here so I can play as my idiot weeb man and show my friend my motivation.

If you know what I mean.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

I am a greedy gently caress and would love a Vergil campaign but also to be able to play as him on every level.

Hell just give me free play mode and let me be anyone anywhere, grim grips be damned.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

https://youtu.be/FnFn0DdtG6Q

Here's some more gameplay bits. I like the new tricks I've seen so far. Vergil stuff ends about 9 minutes in or so.

Extremely happy that his ult line is "Now I'm a little motivated"

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 3, 2020

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

With that I just treat 2's Dante as still being im mourning after Super Definitely For Real This Time (tm) killing Vergil.

You know, when I hate myself enough to play/care about DMC2 (featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!)

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Vergil has me highly motivated.

(he's very fun holy gently caress)

Edit: Looks like you can chain JCs with proper timing; no need for cancelling with air trick, just time it well. I've only managed to chain like 3, but hey, I'm glad you can do it.

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 16, 2020

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

If I have any complaints about Vergil its that, like in DMC4SE, Yamato feels a little too good. I get that JCs are meant as a core playstyle mechanic but I do miss the more limited movesets of DMC3; every weapon had a specific purpose and weakness. I can understand making Yamato an all purpose tool like Rebellion/Sparda/DSD tho.

This doesn't mean its not fun as all hell, just a super minor personal nitpick.

Super glad I can be a little motivated on command, too.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

As busted as Vergil is, I still struggle with Furies, just can't get the parry timing down. I try to just do the SDT Beowulf pound to kill them on spawn but that's not always an option and then I spend a few minutes playing grabass with them. :(

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

I legitimately never considered ME Stinger, that does the trick (heh) and floors them after like 2 so I can be motivated all over them, thanks!

Judgement cut chains are hard, but I think the easiest is from the first hit of aerial rave to practice the timing. It's honestly the only one I can consistently hit but so far I've only been punished for it by not looking quite as cool as I should. It is the ultimate shame for sure, but hey, baby steps.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

J2DK posted:

I use helm breaker with Dante and Vergil. I use split with Nero. V, I charge a hedgehog with Shadow. You really only have to memorize one of their attack stances. When they crouch and hold their blade across the chest, they're about to lunge straight at you. The other two stances give you time to react. You will see them either running in the air or running to the side before they come at you properly. I find that it's enough time to jump and air trick/air hike as they teleport the first time and helm breaker on reaction to the second teleport/actual lunging attack. If you already knew this, then my bad. You can always put on the sword belt and spam helm breaker as long as they aren't devil triggered.

This is also good advice, and I appreciate it! Between this and ME Stinger, I think I've got them down now. The one floor in Bloody Palace with 3 Furies was a roadblock for me for awhile, but now I can get through without getting hilariously owned!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I put in the work to get a no damage on Dante in SoS and it's absolutely key that you learn when to let go of lock-on so you Air Trick above Dante for some of his attacks. His weakness is you attacking from air, like say, wrecking his poo poo with aerial Judgement Cut spam. One of the other lessons is figuring out when you've got a real combo confirm on the rear end in a top hat because he's pretty much got infinite hyper armor once he starts an attack string, and if you Trick at him without actual hitstun it's extremely likely he'll just catch you in a combo.

This, but also he hates Blistering Swords, they do a surprising amount of (usually) free damage I find.

He's still a real fucker tho.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Finally managed to get Secret Mission 07 with Vergil, I forgot that the thumbnail image for each mission is the solution to the mission, you must wait until the demon is sucking blood out of the air to recharge herself for the 1HKO.

I still have absolutely no idea how to beat ASM12 as Vergil, because as near as I can tell he does not have a move that increases red orb drops.

Bring them to the blood pool, they'll drink it and become the engorged empusas! It's a mechanic that rarely comes up.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Also it's a Psycho Crusher with swords, and therefore the best.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Vergil is so brokenly good once you figure him out, jeez.

That's kind of his thing in his playable appearances for sure.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

Remember the days when Wesker was the most top tier character that wasen't Dark Pheonix :allears:

Sounds like he wasn't motivated enough to keep the top spot. :colbert:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

DMC3 Vergil is all about making use of your admittedly limited toolkit to handle problems as quickly as you can before they get out of hand. He's the character you'll want to learn Jump Cancelling on the most since Yamato's Aerial Rave and the Beo Divekick do absolutely disgusting damage when you can jump cancel spam them. It's not about being as flashy as Dante, it's about just crushing rooms with overwhelming force.

Of course, he has gotten more variety and interesting things in his kit as time has gone on, with 5 being the absolute best iteration IMO. Also the most batshit, with your teleport range just being Yes. I can see how moving back to 3 is jarring and disappointing for sure.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Did Vergil lose the ability to make several judgement cuts in a row though? I can't figure out how to do it.

In DMC4 you can only chain them through a bug where you trick in the air as you release a perfect JC, and it's incredibly tight and very tricky(heh), but super satisfying to pull off.

In 5 at least the timing is still very strict but you don't need to take advantage of weird bugs to chain 3 in a row (4 if you deliberately beef the first one).

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

You can also Suplex rear end in a top hat Weeb Dad if you time it right with his dive bomb ultimate to catch him. Super tight timing and you're extremely eating poo poo if you miss it tho

vvvvv: Touche

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Tarezax posted:

I've gotten a perfect judgment cut off of the show me your motivation taunt and it's a good feeling.

It's very satisfying, in a " show me urs and I'll show u mine" kind of way. It owns.