Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Let me get this straight.

This game has the dodge thats been used in every single game since including the latest DMC4 which no one brought up.

And somehow this is a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

How did these dumbasses manage to make Hellblade because I heard that game is actually good and handles its central themes pretty well?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I want this game.

Someone give me some quick money making tricks. My payday isnt till 15th

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Momomo posted:

Good or bad, I don't really care about what reviews say because of the series' history, but comparing DMC5 to a game like Nier Automata is just kinda crazy.

Nier Automata is one of the best game on PS4 but its an RPG by design.

So yeah

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Augus posted:

dark souls veteran
somehow doesn’t understand invincibility frames
:ok:

He only knows how to backroll

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Besides the absolutely amazing animation, Dante's hair physics are so hypnotic lol.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Dragons Dogma is getting an anime.

Edit:

Dragon's Dogma created by the Devil May Cry series director Hideaki Itsuno is getting an anime.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 12, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im not sure if Im going to regret this but I really wanna buy DMC5 today, despite Sekiro coming out in less than a week.

I used to play DMC3 and 4 a bit and Nero was my favorite character.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Anti-Hero posted:

Do it. It’s actually a reasonably short game. You should have plenty of time to beat it once before Sekiro launches.

The problem is blowing 140 euros on videogames in less than a week :v:

Sekiro looks pretty drat cool but DMC5 is no doubt one of those games you can essentially play forever if you are determined to get gud.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Pomp posted:

Hot take: this game owns

Im getting poo poo ton of money on monday and Im planning to buy this finally

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Spergatory posted:

I bought a PS4 for this game, but since I platinum'd it, I figured I would branch out and try some other stuff. So I bought Bloodborne.

gently caress Bloodborne.

There is difficulty and then there is gently caress you trial and error game design, and Bloodborne is the latter. Maybe it's because I'm fresh off of basically the Holy Grail of difficult-but-fair action game design, but I go not care for Bloodborne's particular brand of bullshit. I don't care if it gets good later. I'm not having any fun now. Why the gently caress would I stick around for "later?"

I'm gonna do some more bloody palace to destress from this mess.

There is never a moment in Bloodborne where I thought the game was being unfair.

But its kinda hard to figure out any details from your post.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Urge to buy the game rising.

Whats the dl size roughly?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I bought DMC5.

Havent played a DMC game in years, though I have completed all three games. (Yes, all three).

The controls feel so weird after Sekiro. Only played the prologue but cant wait to play tonight.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Oh god Im so bad I couldnt beat Goliath.

I'll try the mission again later but its really tough to get used to dodging after not playing DMC for so long.

Btw is the powered up version of breaker attacks supposed to take forever to charge up? Its hard to use in combos because it takes a while

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 19, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Yes. Some charge slower than others though.

Is it possible to charge the breaker while dodging and attacking? The default scheme doesnt support it but if you switch the breaker button to lets say R2 (like Sekiro lol, I like universal controls) I could hold it down during a combo string

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So I played up the Gilgamesh boss (which wasnt very good or interesting) but otherwise the games pretty good so far.

The camera feels a bit wonky since Im used to static angles from previous games.

I like that breakers are basically do cool poo poo button. Still learning how to get most out of them tho.

V feels very spam friendly but at the same time I found his levels very relaxing. I could definitely see myself playing his levels with auto assist because its like playing as a temporary, overpowered JRPG antagonist and its great.

The amount of loading screens is absurd tho. I bet they couldve avoided them almost entirely by sticking to non animated menu screens but eh.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 20, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So I got the first Dante stages and boy its just as rough starting with him as it was in DMC4.

You get a bazillion moves and not sure what does what and I never bothered to learn him in 4.

In 3 you gradually learn his moveset but here you dont get such luxury.

Plus the style switching is something that will probably take at least one playthrough to get comfortable.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Can someone post dante tips for dmcv. Like his bread and butter stuff you should be using a lot.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Is S rank the highest mission rank in the game? Ive been getting it on quite many missions on Devil Hunter difficulty (except the later ones) even though I felt I wasnt doing very good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

On the contrary I felt like Im being bodied by some of the enemies and bosses but it seems the ranking system is pretty lenient on standard difficulty.

Still getting used to actually fighting stuff because its really hard to read enemy tells without some sort of visual aid like in Bayonetta and the attacks come super quick if you miss the wind up animation.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Finished the game on Devil Hunter. Its a good game but really made me feel terrible. Im not sure I ever got better at the combat because there was so much going on with 3 characters and all their upgrades.

I never really figured out any of the bosses I just brute forced them with devil trigger and golden orbs. I didnt feel like dying to them because I didnt want to watch the elaborate game over and loading screen/s over and over

In short it felt similar to my other DMC runs except the loading screens are really bad.

I think Im going to stick with the Devil Hunter difficulty a while because I want to get better but SoS feels really brutal. Plus im missing upgrades

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It would be pretty cool if it turned out Sparda's preferred weapon was a cane because anything else would be an overkill against mooks. Like a better V with more melee and familiars that extend combos

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Just started my 2nd devil hunter run to get more upgrades and the game feels a lot better.

Switched my controls around so I can hold and charge blue rose and both arms at the same time.

Switched exceed to one of the face buttons and it feels way better than it should. Its weird but it totally works

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So instead of Crash Bandicoot my toddler wanted to watch DMC5 for the first time. Also his younger brother is very picky about games but this time he sat silently while occasionally making "Hiyah" noises.

Also Nero according to him is "a big boy"

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Not to poo poo on Bayo 2 but after playing both games roughly the same amount, I like DMC5 a lot more.

Bayo is super polished technically and plays like a dream maybe even more so than 5 but the combo breaking enemies kill the fun for me.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If there ever was a special edition, no cutscenes option and all missions mode for all characters would be great.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Well V can use air trick as well with his cane so theres that

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

RBX posted:

MGR is one of my fave games of all time. I'm so sad well prolly never get a sequel.

So far the only game for me that has come close is Sekiro.

Maybe if Nioh guys do Ninja Gaiden 4

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

"Yes, yes! Cut it wide open!" exclaims Boris while Raiden is carefully preparing watermelon for dessert.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Even DMC5 is still built on the fundamentals established in DMC1 like the control scheme, how moves and weapons work. Its pretty great how it still holds up.

I should play it again sometime because I remember liking it way more than fan favorite 3.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Lol I let my 4 year old play DMC5 and he parried a hellbat's fireball as a slowmo finisher move.

Okay then mr showoff.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Mymla posted:

Man, Nero is so much harder to play than Dante. I'm sure there are nerds who can hit max-act consistently on every single hit in a combo without breaking a sweat, but I struggle to do it even on one in five hits.

I dont even bother trying to rev every hit, it's impossible for my brain to tap two buttons like that.

Instead I always rev the last hit that I can follow up with a powered up finisher like streak, high roller, calibur etc.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Imo I always thought theres something off with Vergil boss like he wasnt doing stuff as intended.

Sometimes bug fix is just a fix.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

DanielCross posted:

If, like that video says, they added Virgil's Concentration mechanic to the "playable" debug version, isn't that basically confirmation? Like, you don't build a mechanic and add it into the game like that if you're not planning to do anything with it, that's a big waste of resources for the devs.

Im sceptic about this unless I see some actual videos demonstrating this

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

DMC5 is like 4. You play as Nero for the first half and Dante for the second half but mostly unique stages for all characters.

You also got few stages as the new guy V but his combat is fairly underdeveloped as a result.

I think it suffers from the same problem as 4. Unless you are intimately familiar the series, switching from Nero to Dante is really rough because the difficulty keeps ramping up even though they force you to switch characters.

Good game but it really requires more than one playthrough to get most out of it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I played some DMC5 trying to learn Dante stuff.

Is there any stat difference between dsd, sparda and rebellion?

Dsd is probably the most powerful mainly for its phantom swords but aside from that are they identical in power?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Neros lesser power shots can be used as a combo tool and having auto charge would mess that up. Unless its an ability you can turn off

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

An ability you can turn off would be fine. Though how would auto charge mess that up?

Because auto charging would override his less powerful Color Up shots. Those are the ones Nero loads into his gun manually but you dont hold square to use them (besides the first shot)

Unlike charge shots they trigger instantly and hit multiple times so you can extend combos.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 18, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I feel like an idiot. I just now figured out you can change Dante's theme to Devil Trigger.

One, two, three

Bang Bang

Pull my Devil Trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

redreader posted:

So I'm not super good at games. I'm ok! I finished the bayonettas and revengeance. I'm playing this on human and maybe I made a mistake? It seems super easy so far. I just got to the bit where you start playing as V. Can you change difficulty on the fly or is it a restart? Does it get a lot harder soon?

I also heard (here) that this is the best game in the genre. When does it 'get good'? The cutscenes aren't as dumb and fun as bayonetta and the gameplay (so far!) doesn't seem as good. Why is this game so much better?

My 4 year old can play the game on Human with auto assist on.