Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Coulda at least run him through with a giant sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Vergil is fantastic because his extreme dorkdom makes you feel much better about Dante by comparison.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Really surprised how fun V is to learn. Really a good implementation of a summoner in a skill-focused game. The only thing that's really annoying me is the targeting system. I'm not sure why they made target selection more or less completely non-functional, but uhh... thanks?

Also, I know every veteran knows this, but for anyone starting off with this game : the default controls on a controller are some absolutely abhorrent poo poo that expects you to use a disgusting claw grip and destroy your hand. Put melee on the button above jump and your ranged attacks on a shoulder button and you'll have a much better time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Has anyone figured out how to actually like... control what you lock on to? AFAICT it's the same system as DMC4 except there's only maybe a 5% chance it changes target instead of usually working. It's loving obnoxious.

e - after more experimentation, I figured out what they did. They entirely removed directional targeting, because being able to choose what you want to target would make the game too fun or something.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 8, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nah you absolutely can target specific enemies. I almost always hit the exact target lock I want. You have to aim towards them with the stick (seems to be character relative but I may be wrong) and then hit the lock on button.

Man all I can say is I wish I were having your experience. Having to mash the left stick over and over to target people loving sucks. Even when there are only two enemies, on opposite sides of the screen, lock on just always goes back to the same one for me. I never had trouble with it in DMC 4, the system wasn't perfect but it was easy to get the target you wanted.

e - also I want to reiterate that V completely owns. Having multiple animations going on at the same time gives you so much to think about and so many possibilities that he's a really satisfying character.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 8, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Whenever you can see one of the other characters, the game tells you who is playing. If you're not matchmade with anyone, you get AI - "The DMC crew".

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's how it's always been in DMC, I would expect it to be the same here.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I watched a review and I think I'm going to buy this. The combat system looks similar to God of War 2018, is that a fair assessment?

God of War is a timing game. DMC is a finesse game. They're hugely different. If you want something you can actually get good at and absolutely destroy it, DMC is where it's at. If you want a game where you can just mash butan and the game will make cool looking poo poo happen, not so much.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah it works fine for melee but this game really forces you to do the 1v1 me in the corner bro thing because it's literally impossible to target a farther away enemy with a charge shot to stop it attacking you, unless you mash the left stick in a bunch of times. It's not great.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Spermando posted:

What's the best way to deal with furies? I try to parry them blindly with royal guard, but they don't seem to have clear tells.

Spam stinger and they just die. They're really, really badly designed enemies, as is the first final boss and a few of the other bosses.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think anyone who says that has never played 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcvw1E0Mcac

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

V's location is two things - where you can actually get hurt, and the position you can recall your summons to. You can forward + cane right into an enemy, beat them up, and use the insane griffon back dodge to peace out if things go south. Also, shadow's stinger doesn't knock enemies out of range, meaning you can start with that to position him.

You CAN play super passively, just like you can sit around just shooting people with Nero and Dante, and V's optimal range is definitely not as close, but you still want to be aggressive.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

a kitten posted:

I'm struggling to find a good control scheme where i can 1) keep lock-on held down, 2) keep the shooting button held down, 3)dodge and poo poo and 4) all the other stuff. I might have one i like now, but my muscle memory is all wonky from how i had been playing the game so far. I just got wreaked by a bunch of mooks because i kept hitting the wrong drat buttons.

So, before i commit to this layout and just learn it: anyone have any super slick button configs for controller they feel like sharing?

Shoot/Griffon on RT, melee/Shadow on X, weapon swap/nightmare on Y, change gun/read book on LT. No real conflicts, since this dedicates a finger to each button you want to hold while pressing other buttons. If you don't like RT to shoot, you can swap it with your target lock on RB.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 10, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There are arms loving everywhere. There was I think one mission that I didn't skip at least one or two and sometimes like five arms on my first playthrough. After your first few missions you should have realized that you can go totally ham, and once you're fully unlocked and upgraded it's absurd. There are only a few cases I can think of where you probably want a specific arm and the game doesn't just give it to you.

It's definitely hard to get SSS with Nero first playthrough because you don't have his two biggest style tools.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 10, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Press forward, hold attack, INSTANTLY release the stick, and then when Dante makes his first followup stab start mashing attack.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Flytrap posted:

Also, ending spoiler sidenote. Because if nobody else is gonna be creepybrave enough to say it, I will. Nero's DT is hot as gently caress and Kyrie is a VERY lucky woman.

Shall Never Sweet Surrender

Annath posted:

So I just checked my steam install, and it isn't listing the alt costumes. I appear to have everything else, just not the costumes??

They aren't showing up under the customize cutscene either, only the live action option.

This is what steam says:

I'm guessing you didn't preorder, since those were preorder penalties. Don't worry, Capcom will make them available in six months for $5.99 each because they're totally not actually Hitler when it comes to DLC.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Maybe it's just me but I don't like the fact that the "4th" weapon you get as Dante gives you these weird fuckin ghost swords and takes away Shredder as a button move, moving it to a combo, feels like I'd never get it out fast enough now. Kind of hoping I get the option to use the other sword again but if not, whatever, just a minor nitpick since it seems this
kind of remixes the upgrade in Swordmaster in a weird way.

This gets solved post game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

ManlyGrunting posted:

Jesus the busters in this game are raw as gently caress, they really sold "Nero is pissed as gently caress" with this one. For the hell pride dudes he puts them in a chokehold and empties his gun into the back of their heads :stare:

The best part of this is that it will set off the Overture bomb, which is so goddamn cool and effective that I do it whenever I can.

e - also Nero doing wrestling moves is not new. In DMC4 the Alto Angelo Buster is a Gief suplex, and the Triggered version is two suplexes into an SPD.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 11, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

RBX posted:

Yep. 4 of them.

What's everybody's most and least favorite bosses except the obvious?

Most: Cavaliere Angelo
Least: Malphas (The Chicken)

Dante vs Cavaliere is definitely my favorite boss at this point. It's so goddamn satisfying to go all MGR on his rear end.

Worst boss is Dante's final boss. It's the kind of dogshit you expect to see in games designed by people with far less talent, essentially nothing but a long QTE.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It is though. The game literally tells you that you're not allowed to hurt him until he does a move, you pres butan, and then he just stands there doing nothing while you do X amount of damage to him, and then it repeats. That's the entire fight, it's absolute crap.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

No. Not only is beating levels without any sort of continue the "right" way of doing it, but the game is designed such that it's entirely possible to never take any damage at all. There's nothing wrong with using them, but the game doesn't just throw unavoidable damage at you.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Cuntellectual posted:

Lock-on switching still sucks

Taunting doesn't seem to add like, anything to the style meter?

Sparda looks way cooler than the Dante sword

Lock on switching is incredibad and I hope they patch it.

Taunts have to finish to add style, and they work better if you're in actual danger. Mostly taunting right after you knock everyone down is good. Air taunting just works in general because they're short, and Nero's is actually a ridiculously good mobility/avoidance tool.

Using whatever sword you want is an unlock.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

What about the actual controls? Just picked this up myself and I honestly have little idea where to put my fingers at times, with having to hold X to charge shots and B to charge my hand and the like.

The defaults are, as ever, horrible. I recommend Shoot/Griffon on RT, melee/Shadow on X, weapon swap/nightmare on Y, change gun/read book on LT. No real conflicts, since this dedicates a finger to each button you want to hold while pressing other buttons. If you don't like RT to shoot, you can swap it with your target lock on RB.

It sucks that you can't remap taunt, it would really be ideal to put that on left stick click.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 11, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Mr.Citrus posted:

Story spoiler chat below.

is Nero just going to ignore that his dad caused a mass genocide? I mean, his actions caused thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands or millions of deaths.

Dante's been doing that poo poo since the series began so yeah, probably.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

kater posted:

Malphas def has satellite poo poo to hook to and kill her.

Malphas is the chicken, you're thinking of the wrong boss.

Annath posted:

So, it's been a loooooong time since I played DMC4, so I am probably forgetting something, but why was Vergil dying/rotting/falling apart at the beginning of DMC5, when he stole Nero's arm?

The timeline is DMC 3 > 1 > (2 if you accept its vile existence) > 4 > 5. Vergil (aka Nelo Angelo) was destroyed by Dante during DMC1. He resurrected or survived somehow, but his special anime waifu sword was embedded in his son's arm. He got it back and proceeded to do what Vergil always does - seek MORE POWER.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 12, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

What is the gate on S rank in mission 10? I've tried doing it every way I can think, fast, completionist, etc, it doesn't matter, can't get more than an A rank. Is there a hidden combat area you have to do to S rank it or something?

Gologle posted:

The Buster where he just loving executes a dude by choking them and shooting them point blank with Blue Rose is unexpectedly brutal, yeah.

Already said this but it bears repeating - if you do this with Overture stuck in them it will blow it up, which makes that move much more actually usable in a crowd.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's unlocked from the start. Costs 45 or 50k orbs I think.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Fellblade posted:

I’m finding level 18 final boss vs all of V’s summons on the harder difficulties and I’m getting real frustrated with the healing spots that take the main enemy back to practically full twice per battle.

I couldn’t seem to interrupt the heal and I vaguely recall somebody in the thread mentioning if you do something earlier in the level (destroy a tree?) the heal spots aren’t there?

Can somebody point me in the right direction here because I am sick of killing him 2 1/2 times over then dying.

The game hints their locations REALLY hard at you by making enemies spawn on the path to them when you finish a previous fight. The first one is up steps on the right, the second is turning right after going up the next set of stairs, and the third one is a bunch of platforms you have to cross.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DTing out of anything that grabs/stabs you is pretty standard in DMC.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I feel like the game goes out of its way to show the arms are disposable. Even in the first cutscene showing Nero using one, hr breaks it and replaces it like it's nothing.

It also has another one sitting right there after the first fight and you can't pick it up if you didn't break one. Then there are some missions where there are literally 20+ breakers on the map and if you aren't just blowing through them you've got some kind of serious mental issue.

My default magazine has 4 breakers in it, and I'll probably go down to 3 or 2 at some point, it's honestly hard to use them enough. Improvisation is fun.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

guts and bolts posted:

If they continue to iterate on Nero he'll be capable of carrying a Devil May Cry game completely by himself. Nero is already more mechanically deep than virtually every other character action game protagonist in existence, and he's the "easier" of the two main devil hunters to wrap your noggin around. Honestly, while I'm cool with the ending from a narrative standpoint, it makes me wonder how they plan to make up for the loss of playable Dante and his four styles if he stays in Hell with Vergil for a potential DMC6.

You really should not be taking that limitation seriously. Think about the stuff that happened just in this one game and ask yourself if they're going to abide by any silly rules.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, I appreciate your take but I think you're misunderstanding what I meant by ace in the hole. Like, say you have Gerbera and you're like "oh man I can use gerbera to stunt on the boss in sick cool ways"

Or you use it right now, and maybe it breaks somewhere on the way to the boss, and then you're fighting the boss with no arm like "dang this is kinda lame". Yes, you can absolutely beat everything in the game without any arms, and I do end up doing that because I'm hoarding them as previously mentioned.

Having them be last-in-first-out helps somewhat, but its still a little funny if you have a couple devil bringers you kinda want to gently caress around with, but one you know you like. You have to pop the one you know you like to get to try out the others, and if you don't like them, oops. Maaaaybe you'll get a pickup arm in the near future, but maybe it'll be like a pasta or the healer arm or something you don't really care for.

As you said game is easy enough even without the arms, so please don't turn this into something it isn't: I went way way way out of my way to qualify my statement with things like "the game's fine as is" so don't suddenly argue like I'm saying the game is broken. I'm just saying for me personally I really think it would be more fun if I could simply re-order arms. While they're still completely disposable with exactly the same mechanics.

That's not really all that radical, is it? Be fair.

Your arguments are really dumb and bad. Like you could make a halfway decent argument for your position, but you aren't. You aren't going to loving run out arms, they're absolutely everywhere, and if you somehow manage to show up at a boss with none, you can just go into the customize screen to restock in 5 seconds.

If you don't know how the arms work, USE THEM. The game gives you shitloads of them, loving use them so you can learn how they work and not sit on your moronic rear end wondering.

There are no "maybes" with the arm pickups, the game absolutely shits them at you. If you get a Sweet Surrender, just pop it immediately. If you get a Pasta Breaker, it lets you switch which breaker you get next you doofus.

e - frustration is getting bigger, bang bang bang break your devil breaker.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 14, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Changing my steam name to Nero's Rad Uncle immediately.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Trickster is not peanuts, Dante's mobility is disgusting. For most people, it should be your default stance, and you swap to another when you need it. Next time you're playing, hold down lock on as soon as you start a mission, press forward and jump. See how long you disappear for? You're invincible that entire time, and it warps you right above an enemy where 3/4 of their attacks can't even hit you anyway. You still have your Air Hike and normal trickster dodge for defense, and you can jump off their head and basically keep going forever with Enemy Step.

VVVV Max Act doesn't replace the normal exceed, it's a smaller window inside it that charges all three.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 14, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The Urizen fights where you lose are style ranked. You need to look at them as more about dodging for rank than doing damage, because it's easy to blow by the damage threshold that ends the fight on Dante's version.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You can hold the button, which will tell you if you're too early (no meaty sound, eats 2 bars of DT) or too late (you just get hit).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

DMC5 officially Pay2Win

e - god drat this guy is the true champion of DMC5

Alternate title : Ulillillia discovers DMC5

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 15, 2019

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the insanely godawful targeting system. Most of Nero's options for aggressive defense require a target, and in this game you have absolutely no control over what you target. I'd say it's probably the main difficulty of Nero on higher ranks, it's really really bad. Even stuff that should be super simple like the shooting the giant enemy crab's laser hands is more or less not functional since it's entirely random if it's even possible to target it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Go try this out in the first level or two:

Stand in a room with bad guys and lock on to one. Notice how it’s the one closest to you? Now release lock on and go run across the room and try again, see how it’s still the one closest to you? That’s how the targeting system works.

It'd be poo poo even if that was how it worked, but it's not true. Depending on camera placement, certain enemies will either be low priority even if they're right next to you (and on screen) or not even in the list of allowable targets.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

So is this better than DMC3? Trying to decide if I *really* need another action game a week before sekiro, but I'm tempted. I suppose I haven't played 4 also, is this better than that?

The absolute best case for Sekiro is nowhere even remotely close to as good as this game. Buy this poo poo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

A week after the release of a 10 hour long mechanics-focused game people aren't necessarily going to be using spoiler tags. If you don't want to get spoiled, don't read the thread. If you were too stupid to figure that out on your own, tough poo poo.