Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They also eat your toothbrush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This is some top-tier 12:55

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I am taking off my glasses now.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That was a great last sketch, except their accents kept shifting, hah.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Joe Dicso :cry:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I like the new Sharky Crystals sketch! :thumbsup:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Cheers! this was fun.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I can’t ever get fired... I’ve got a union job
But somehow tonight, it doesn’t matter that I’m in with the mob!

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/steve-martin-cold-opening/n10162

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I love how they didn't even mention all of the blackface armisen did. They left out the David Paterson impression that got complaints that they kept doing. I wonder what dirt he has on someone because that's got to be the only way he keeps getting work. Really want to see the auditions of the other people that made his Obama seem good.

pwn
May 27, 2004

For years we had a game in these threads, wherein we would guess what ethnicity character Maya Rudolph was playing. I’m pretty sure this game continued with Armisen

I buy the explanation that it isn’t backface. Blackface is essentially wearing a mask of black, in service of a minstrel show. Every instance of.... uh, not-blackface? on SNL that I know of is an impression of a specific public figure, and their whole (exposed) body is made up in the appropriate tone, and the act isn’t based on the race of the person or their physical features (big/red lips, broad nose, etc.)

Still, this is far too much nuance for modern times, where outrage is a key part of a daily diet, so it’s unlikely that SNL will do it again.

Also, while that subject is debatable, what’s not debatable is that, until the last five years, SNL has been reeeeeaallllyyyyy bad about hiring/retaining/utilizing non-mayonnaise-based cast members. In the 84-85 season (Billy Crystal’s year,) there were no cast members of colour; 1986 to 1990 were also totally bereft of any diversity. It did improve slightly in the 90s; whereas they used to be content with one of seven cast members being black, when they added almost as many second-tier cast members in 1990, they also hired Chris Rock, Tim Meadows (midseason,) and Ellen Cleghorne (in 1991.)

And then they pissed away Chris Rock, Cleghorne did OK but never truly clicked*, and Tim languished as an underused utility player for years until they cleaned house in ‘95, and eventually he made a name for himself.

Tracy Morgan came and went, Jerry Minor blew by in a year, Finesse Mitchell lasted two years, Maya Rudolph ended the almost five year drought of women darker than a Kleenex tissue, and Kenan’s been around for 244 years.

So while sometimes it can be a bit frustrating that someone who stumbles a lot is kept around (Tracy, Leslie,) or someone who, in 1991, would have been let go after their first season when mental issues surfaced, is kept on because Lorne doesn’t want another dead young man on his conscience, overall SNL getting over its absolute aversion to all things non-white (and more sensitive to mental health and substance abuse issues) is the real story, not that they resorted to putting milky-white players in race drag a handful of times. Hopefully the show continues to improve in this regard, so that such drastic measures are never again a necessity.

*Which happens all the time, but it’s a bit more noticeable when it’s the one black lady between 1986 and 2000, rather than a Beth Cahill or a Morwenna Banks or a John Milhiser, where there are 42 other white af kids on-hand and ready to step into their place.

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 17, 2019

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Excellent monologue.

I just went through Don Cheadle's IMDB and I still have no idea why he looks so drat familiar.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

pwn posted:

For years we had a game in these threads, wherein we would guess what ethnicity character Maya Rudolph was playing. I’m pretty sure this game continued with Armisen

I buy the explanation that it isn’t backface. Blackface is essentially wearing a mask of black, in service of a minstrel show. Every instance of.... uh, not-blackface? on SNL that I know of is an impression of a specific public figure, and their whole (exposed) body is made up in the appropriate tone, and the act isn’t based on the race of the person or their physical features (big/red lips, broad nose, etc.)

Still, this is far too much nuance for modern times, where outrage is a key part of a daily diet, so it’s unlikely that SNL will do it again.

Also, while that subject is debatable, what’s not debatable is that, until the last five years, SNL has been reeeeeaallllyyyyy bad about hiring/retaining/utilizing non-mayonnaise-based cast members. In the 84-85 season (Billy Crystal’s year,) there were no cast members of colour; 1986 to 1990 were also totally bereft of any diversity. It did improve slightly in the 90s; whereas they used to be content with one of seven cast members being black, when they added almost as many second-tier cast members in 1990, they also hired Chris Rock, Tim Meadows (midseason,) and Ellen Cleghorne (in 1991.)

And then they pissed away Chris Rock, Cleghorne did OK but never truly clicked*, and Tim languished as an underused utility player for years until they cleaned house in ‘95, and eventually he made a name for himself.

Tracy Morgan came and went, Jerry Minor blew by in a year, Finesse Mitchell lasted two years, Maya Rudolph ended the almost five year drought of women darker than a Kleenex tissue, and Kenan’s been around for 244 years.

So while sometimes it can be a bit frustrating that someone who stumbles a lot is kept around (Tracy, Leslie,) or someone who, in 1991, would have been let go after their first season when mental issues surfaced, is kept on because Lorne doesn’t want another dead young man on his conscience, overall SNL getting over its absolute aversion to all things non-white (and more sensitive to mental health and substance abuse issues) is the real story, not that they resorted to putting milky-white players in race drag a handful of times. Hopefully the show continues to improve in this regard, so that such drastic measures are never again a necessity.

*Which happens all the time, but it’s a bit more noticeable when it’s the one black lady between 1986 and 2000, rather than a Beth Cahill or a Morwenna Banks or a John Milhiser, where there are 42 other white af kids on-hand and ready to step into their place.

I don't know. I don't think I can ever accept their excuse that they could not find anyone better to do Obama. They even went out and specifically found a better Obama and then left him out to dry for 2 years just because Fred had tenure. I think the only offensive thing about his Obama is how obviously they could have done better and the optics of them not bothering to find a black man to play the first black president. His David Paterson was a lot closer to a minstrel show than it was to a David Paterson impression. This was according to Armisen himself the hardest Lorne had laughed at anything. Then there's the matter of him playing every asian character even while occasionally poking fun of the fact that they had never had an asian cast member.

My biggest fear is the only reason the show has gotten better about race is because Lorne listens to Kenan on account of him being there for so long. So much of the behind the scenes crew are 60 or 70 something year old white men that have been around since the beginning that seem to think that Harvard is still the center of the comedy universe.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Propaganda Machine posted:

Excellent monologue.

I just went through Don Cheadle's IMDB and I still have no idea why he looks so drat familiar.

Ocean's 11?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Legit want that CCCP jersey he was wearing at the wrap up.

Great episode.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Never saw. Lynch me now?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Propaganda Machine posted:

Never saw. Lynch me now?

Infinity War?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Oh no SNL hurt Donald's feelings again.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1097116612279316480

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just want to let you guys know I miss Will Forte every day and that Jon Bovi thing did not stop me from doing so.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Non-NYC Goons, did you know what the Wedding Venue Ad was parodying?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Merkinman posted:

Nope, but I love that NYC is so dense that it’s lovely, local commercials become cultural lodestones!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

The Merkinman posted:

As I watched I could pretty much picture it was something like this.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4GLqI2erKo

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
March 9th host is Idris Elba. Hell yeah.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Halloween episode happening too soon.

*woop* *woop*

More gay Mexican werewolves, please.

:rofl:

It is wise to keep a basement for ... I forgot why.

Who? drat, this is sonic.

Sexxing with the old beach!

Not gonna do it!

I feel like I am being twisted back into the future.

*maybe?

Thank you headphones, I am going rogue!

Headphones, can you cancel the ability to hear?

Yay! Danke Schon.

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 24, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

SNL self-hit job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrcumMjh9fs

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

This came up in my Google News feed of all places and was fun to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Eyd2xbdkE

I love this sketch so very much. Not only do I find it hilarious and well performed, but the fact that the actors can barely (or in Pete's case: can't) contain themselves either raises it up even higher.

It's great to laugh at a sketch along with the performers, such as Lohan's Debbie Downer sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfE93xON8jk I do really wonder how much I would laugh at a version of that sketch without the 95% failure to remain in character, though. The Lobster Diner sketch, though, is legitimately funny without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

New month, new thread, #wow