Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
https://www.covidmentalhealthsupport.org/

the (((mods))) here with an important message, afterwhich we will return you to the rest of the excellent op posted:

It is important to remember that SA's community is not designed to provide therapy or psychiatric advice, nor should it be a substitute for valid professional psychiatric care. If you feel like you need help, we strongly recommend that you seek out professional help through some resources that we have listed below:

http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
The Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255
Crisis Text Line
If you are an International Goon, please look here for some resources: http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html.

The Goon Doctor also has a Psychiatric Q&A Megathread, which is also not a source of absolute professional psychiatric advice or help. However, you may find it useful to answer some small questions or learn more about different treatment options.

Again, I am glad that goons here have been able to provide support and talk to each other. But these are just posts on a forum, and cannot provide you with an adequate replacement for professional psychiatric care. SA cannot provide, nor is it expected to provide this level of support for its users. If you need help, please seek professional psychiatric care in lieu of seeking support here. We care about our posters, but we are aware enough of our own limitations to know that the best outcomes are obtained through professional means.

im mentally ill poster chokes mcgee. i first started reading cspam when i was about 36. by 38 i got really obsessed with the concept of "trump" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "ed balls" and "i love making GBS threads inside cum assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "ironic" style of cspam humor was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "post" Trump to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness.

C-SPAM Mental Health & Depression Omnibus Thread

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

what the gently caress is this lol

People come to cspam and especially the trump thread for the nihilistic lmaos but there's still a lot of deep anxiety, fear, and hurting behind those jokes. We're all trying to make sense of a completely senseless world that seems to be in its death throes. However, if you don't go further than posting the maniacal laughter of despair, there is a very good chance it will destroy you. Please do not do that. There is still life outside these forums. Some of it is still pretty nice.

okay so now what

Take inventory of the things in life that make you happy—stuff not related to the thread. If you find it lacking or (worse) don't care about what you have I highly recommend seeking support. I did not. Story about what catastrophe befell me will follow.

I expect the people who aren't coming in here to shitpost to be looking for help with depression. Consider if you have bipolar as well. If you've gone on repeated uncontrollable rampages of anger/shopping/sex/creativity, especially coupled with frequent insomnia, chances are very good you do. Treating bipolar with depression meds alone is a very bad idea so you'll want to be sure of that.

how to help

Here are some common modalities used to combat depression/anxiety/grief. If you decide on a treatment plan, you will most likely want a little bit of all of them.

Therapist: This is the cornerstone. A therapist will give you a safe space to vent where a single word will not breathed to anyone unless you literally say you have plans to kill yourself or someone else. They will probably be able to help with (healthy) coping strategies or life goals. In addition, many will be able to apply strategies like CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and the like to help with self defeating thought processes. Make sure they're licensed. You want either a licensed therapist, social worker, or psychologist. Everything else is probably garbage.

Psychiatrist: You may need pills. You may not. They will not rob you of a piece of yourself like you were lobotomized. They're not some evil horrific brainwashing attempt by the illuminati although some of the side effects are not fun, to say the least. It's also more of an art that a science and will take a few months of tinkering to find the right cocktail and there's a ton of different drugs for each category. A good psychiatrist will listen to you when you complain about side effects and ask about medications. They will then change or keep what you have based on feedback. If they just write a prescription, then tell you to shut the gently caress up the next time you see them because they know better, fire them immediately. Do not let your general practitioner handle meds. They're not qualified and will gently caress it up. If all you have is a GP then it's better than nothing, and some of them aren't terrible. Get a P-Doc if you can though. They have specialized knowledge and experience a GP won't, and it makes a huge difference.

Group Therapy: This has by far worked best for me. Basically, you get a bunch of people in the same room with the same problem with the understanding nothing said there leaves and get them talking about their experiences. It's incredibly liberating to see heads bob knowingly while you describe something you thought was a dark secret shame. Someone else has gone through it, too. You're not alone.

Meditation: Or mindfulness, or whatever. Get an app or just plop down somewhere and concentrate on your breathing for a while. It calms the mind, relaxes the body, and for those of you with bipolar, can stop the internal screaming for a little bit. Warning: If you have PTSD, this may not be for you. Relinquishing control over your train of thought for a while can end up in bad places.

Nutrition: As dumb as it sounds, make sure you're eating regularly. This can be hard to remember to do during severe depression (or severe mania). Get enough calories and try to eat lots of protein and less sugar. Also, take some fish/flaxseed/algae Omega-3 oil and a multivitamin. It's good for you—especially the Omega-3, since it gets converted into DHA (among other things) which helps your brain meats function.

Sleep hygene: Only you can know how much you need and when. If you're dragging every day, you probably need more. On the other end of the spectrum is oversleeping. If you're waking up after 14 hours feeling gross then you definitely need to get moving and probably get more sunlight. Consider a HappyLight for 30 minutes a day if it's overcast or dark out. It makes a huge difference.

i'm broke and don't have health insurance

NAMI can provide group therapy. In addition, many places will have specific support groups going, i.e. depression, bipolar, autism, etc. Vet appropriately before attending. Flee immediately if anyone starts suggesting weird poo poo or pushing unlicensed "therapists" on you.

Online apps are available. I'll not link to/recommend individual ones for now since I don't know poo poo about them, but deffo check out this link and this other link for some starter recommendations.

Many communities will have sliding scale psychiatrists and therapists, it's just a matter of finding them. Also, the waiting list may be enormous. Still, it's better than nothing. Out of pocket everywhere else is expensive as poo poo but most places I've seen will cap it at $125 a visit and psych meds are cheap through GoodRX. It's still horrific but at least you won't be on the hook for thousands after going to a hospital.

cspam specific poo poo

For gods sake disclose all your illicit substances to your psychiatrist. They may disapprove but they won't refuse treatment or release that info to anyone. If you're smoking trees or shotgunning an entire bottle of jack each day they need to know so they don't put you on something that will kill you. I mean you shouldn't be doing that stuff in excess anyway, it's self medicating, but I'm not your mom so w/e

everything is awful get me off of this planet

Please do not commit suicide. Suicide sucks. Your last thoughts will be filled with regret: the people you're leaving behind, the life you could've had, the conditions that drove you to this point of incredible pain where there was only one way left. If you are feeling suicidal, call:

* Your therapst (if you have one)
* A close friend or family member (if you have one)
* The Suicide Prevention Hotline is always there for you.

If you have the insurance, go to a mental hospital immediately and request a voluntary stay. Most stays will last a week, and if you checked yourself in, you can check yourself out at any time (but don't do that). You can get a note at the end saying you were under medical care which will probably keep you from getting fired (but probably not paid either). If your company offers it and you can afford it, consider taking short term disability afterwards.

How Suicidal Posts Are Treated

In the interest of transparency and after discussions with mods/admins, here is the way it will be handled:

• PM to the user in question, if they have plat.
  • Post will be edited by IK/Mod/Admin to remove related text.
  • Sixer to get you off the forums and to a place that can help. I'll usually post hotline resources and such in the reason, but that's just me.
  • Admin to review what else needs to be done, if anything.

Some of this is CYA for the forums because lmfao why would you think we're professionals. Some of it is to encourage you to seek help. Remember that the above is not punishment for wrongthink and instead an attempt to straddle the line between getting you help and not getting our pants sued off of our legs and directly onto our heads.

hey guys i think i'm finally gonna troll the mental health thread, wish me luck

i expect a certain amount of shitposting and general cspam dumbassery and would be disappointed if we didn't get it. however please don't:

* Encourage suicide, even indirectly and/or for yourself. I understand people are hurting and have been there myself. However, this is a group environment, and we have to be mindful of others.
* request info on dosages of any kind of drug. (why would you ask the internet about this lol) Neither SA nor myself can do this, it's a liability and you will be probated, probably. Talking about dosages and your experiences on them are fine, just don't ask for which ones to use.
* tell people not to see a therapist, psychiatrist, mental health professional. if you want to share your experiences with any of those not working that's fine. if you want to say it's bullshit that's also fine. just don't tell people not to go.
* tell people all meds are terrible or to stop taking them or not bother to start
* espouse self medication over meds—drinking, pot, heroin, etc.
* make fun of anyone's mental illness (especially me you shitheads)
* post lol nothing matters and don't bother trying and bullshit like that
* generally be a dick towards anyone genuinely hurting and in need of help

I can't enforce anything but I'll probably complain to, idk, someone. They may not even be a mod, I'll just complain. then i'll probably lock the thread. I want this to be a good thread where good things happen so please do not do this. As of the time of this edit, I’ve been made ik. Don’t troll this thread or you may not like what happens!!

ok post questions or w/e I'll do my best to answer them

Somebody has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Pills and Books and poo poo

Recommended Reading

this isn't a beardo pipe smoking :hmmyes: marxist D&D list you'll buy once and then never read, this is actual life advice. these books are very good, please read them if you need help working through things.

• Man's Search for Meaning (Viktor Frankl) Frankl often quotes Nietzsche: "He who has a why can bear almost any how." (or such) This is a very good starting place for cspam in general, though some of the holocaust stories in the first half of the book get really rough.
  • Coping with Climate Change Distress. Another essential short reading for cspam regulars.
  • The Body Keeps the Score (Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.) The go-to book for PTSD survivors. Remember: You don't have to go through a war to have PTSD. lovely childhood experiences will also put you there.
  • Journey Through Trauma (Gretchen Schmelzer) Another good one for ptsd, abuse victims, and dysfunctional relationships. Schmelzer lays out a comprehensive 5 stage overview of healing from trauma, stressing that it’s a healing cycle and returning back to earlier stages isn’t necessarily a regression in condition.
  • It Wasn't Your Fault (Beverly Engel, LMFAOLMFT) It has its faults, but Engel analyzes pretty much every available angle on childhood abuse. It helped me tons, though some of the stuff I discovered I needed a therapist's help to work through. ymmv
  • The Imp of the Mind (Lee Baer, Ph.D. Esq. Etc.) All about the concept of "intrusive thoughts," the most well known of which is suicidal ideation, i.e. thoughts of killing yourself but no motivation or plans to. A lot of people with depressive disorders have these, so it's not just you.
  • Full Catastrophe Living (Jon Kabat-Zinn) Discusses mindfulness, meditation, yoga, and such as a way to deal with anxiety and how it works. Haven't read, but I've heard good things about it.
  • Self Compassion (Kristin Neff, Ph.D (or is she??? (she is))) Self compassion is a very good antidote to self loathing, which a lot of abuse victims and people with depression have. I'm not too keen on their hyping paid seminars, but I've heard really good things about the book itself.

Pills Pills Pills :catdrugs:

You may need some of these. It will probably take months to get everything right, and you'll take some along the way that will make you feel really lovely. Tell your psych doc immediately if a pill's side effect is intolerable. You'll know after a couple of days, believe me. (especially if you get akathisia :stonk:)

The right psych drug cocktail is magical. You won't see green unicorns or anything but you will feel like an actual goddamn human being when you find your sweet spot and that moment is incredible.

• SSRIs. Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. Keeps your seratonin levels up through science :science: which usually makes you feel better, or at least less bad. If you don't know you have bipolar and you take these long term, poo poo's gonna get wild. Examples include sertraline (Zoloft), fluxontine (Prozac), and Paroxetine (Paxil).
  • Deplin. Levomefolic acid. I'm putting it high up the list because it keeps getting lost in the shuffle and shouldn't be. Turns out there's a correlation between major depressive disorder and poor processing of folic acid, and this supplement can correct it. If your SSRI works great for a month or two and then suddenly craps out on you, talk to your pdoc about this. It's technically an expensive OTC supplement but prrrrrrobably don't go cramming pills down your mouth without your doctor signing off on it.
  • SNRIs. Same as SSRIs, but now you get the added bonus of more norepinephrine! It's kinda sorta like adrenaline, but less so. The extra boost may help or hurt depending on your body's needs. Examples include duloxetine (Cymbalta) and venlafaxine (Effexor).
  • Lamotrigine (Lamictal). Often the first line of attack against the depression side of bipolar, lamotrigine is an anticovulsant that was originally for epilepsy but for some reason also makes a bipolar brain stop making GBS threads itself. Follow doctor directions on dosage or you may suffer a life threatening rash. Also don't eat grapefruit. It won't kill you but it'll gently caress up how the drug works.
  • Lithium. The gold standard of bipolar treatment. In modern times, lithium is used as a last resort, because it is a goddamn pain in the rear end. Since lithium toxicity is very much a thing, you have to get your blood levels checked every three months or so to make sure they're in therapeutic range and adjust your daily dose accordingly. You also have to watch your electrolytes and stay away from things like caffeine and NSAIDs, the latter of which may interact and cause kidney damage. :stonklol:
  • Atypical antipsychotics. Since SSRIs/SNRIs can cause mania spikes in bipolar folk, we generally take these instead. While they do treat schizophrenia, they also seem to have affect on mood swings because why the gently caress not. Examples include aripiprazole (Abilify), which is sometimes used to complement just straight depression, and the big fancy new kid on the block, lurasidone (Latuda).
  • Benzodiazepenes. Taken as needed to reduce/cancel anxiety attacks, social anxiety, etc. You will be given a safe number you can take per day. Stick to that, and you won't end up addicted. If you have a personality disorder though (i.e. borderline personality disorder), stay the gently caress away unless your p-doc absolutely knows what they're doing. Examples include clonazepam (Klonopin) and lorazepam (Ativan).
  • :siren: Vitamin D :siren: If you're reading this, you are vitamin D deficient. I know this because you're a goon so you never go outdoors or leave your office. Vitamin D deficiency exacerbates depression and can also cause chronic joint pains. Blood tests will quickly show if your values are too far down. OTC supplements won't be enough, you'll need a massive prescription dose (50k or more) for a month to get it back up.
  • B12. See above. Blood tests will check these too. Normally you should be ok but this is one of those things vegetarians need to be really careful about.
  • Weird poo poo (MAOI inhibitors, tricyclics, etc). I have no idea how any of these work. They're dramatic enough meds that you need a doctor telling you about them and not some internet jerk

Essential Mental Health Tools

• Mood tracker app. This lets you keep track of your ups and downs, as well as things that were going on that day that may have triggered crashes/mania. Daylio is the one everyone swears by. I'm currently trying a new one called Mood that also allows for e/n style anonymous support. If this hasn't been edited out yet, assume it worked out well.
  • Meditation app. Headspace has done wonders for me, even if it's :10bux: a month for the good stuff. Sometimes a five minute brain break really helps. Caveat emptor if you have PTSD or badly intrusive thoughts. It may help settle you, or it may make even more space for those thoughts. Only you can know for sure.
  • Sun lamp. Sunlight is a necessary component for proper serotonin/endocrine regulation, which is why people get gloomy when it's dark/rainy out. Throw depression on top of that and it's not good times. Putting one of these somewhere in your field of vision for 30 min a few times a day will do wonders. I swear by the HappyLight, but anything that puts out 10,000 lux should be fine. Less isn't therapeutic. More might be a bad idea.
  • Weighted blanket. I absolutely goddamn swear by these things. They're cotton blankets with glass beads sewn into pockets to distribute weight evenly, basically making it a super heavy blanket. You would think this is either dumb or would make you claustrophobic but I recommend trying its magic out for yourself before you judge. 15lbs if you're an average sized adult, 20lbs if you're a ~chonky boi~
  • Emergency Kitten. Absolutely indispensable.
  • Emergency Puppy. like doggo? here is doggo

thehandtruck has the 411 on getting a therapist:

thehandtruck posted:

Saw a few posts asking 'How do I find a therapist?' and "How do I know they're good" so I wrote some stuff:

The first thing to do is try to think about what you want to get out of therapy. Are you anxious and want to be less anxious? Are you depressed and want to be less depressed? Is the piss tape real?(Yes) Are you having relationship issues and want them to get better? Or, you don't know what you want to get out of therapy but you do know something isn't right, which is fine too.

After you've thought about the above, go to PsychologyToday.com and put in your city. On the left you can start adding filters such as insurance. You can also sort by price and if they slide (meaning do they have a sliding scale based off of what you're able to pay, which most do). There are also options for Online Counseling if you are unable to go in person due to any reason. (I would encourage in-person but online is better than not going at all.) You'll also see "Issues" on the left where you can pick something that speaks out to you. Most issues are related so don't worry too much diagnosing yourself and picking the right issue. These are professionals and they will know what the issue is.

You can also sort by theory. So if you've read about DBT for instance and really think it's right for you, click that. If you're not sure, don't worry, these are professionals and they will know what theories to try. All therapists you'll find on here will favor 1 or 2 theories of treatment but will be experienced in working in a variety of theories/methods so I wouldn't get too hung up on this unless there is something you're looking for in particular.

Okay I've populated a huge list of mind nerds, now what?

Take a look at their picture first off. Does anyone strike you as off-putting, or chuddlike? Go with your gut here! It doesn't mean your gut is right, but your gut is telling you that you won't be able to work well with that person. And that's okay. Don't force yourself to work with someone who isn't the right fit for you. Notice how on the left you can also sort by man or woman. This is also okay. And this may not be kosher for this forum but even if someone is of a certain group that you have prejudice towards do not force yourself to see them. You aren't doing anyone any favors or changing the world or ending racism/classism/sexism by wasting your time and money going to see someone you can't make progress with.

Once you've filtered some people out, take a look at their bio. Does anyone strike you as interesting? Anyone say something that really resonates with you? If someone sneaks in, "kids today don't have any grit," they're probably not for you. Conversely if they mention how powerful economic issues are in influencing our mental health, it might be working talking to said comrade. Once again, go with your gut.

Okay I've got 4-5 people that seem weird enough for me.

Give 'em a call! All therapists should do a free 15-20 minute FREE phone consultation. You will never have to pay for that phone call even if you decide to continue with them. Talk to them, be open, tell them what your reservations are. Then, listen. When they responded did you feel like you could open up to that person in session? Or did you feel like it'll be an uphill battle? If you didn't click with them, dump their fuckin rear end and move on.

I jumped in and have been seeing a therapist weekly for a month. Is my therapist good/is therapy working?

Great question. Generally I would ask you, "do you feel like you've been able to open up to that person, and how do you feel when you do open up?" If you've been able to explore things with them and you feel comfortable with them, I think that's good. There's no perfect metric because let's say you went into your first session wanting to work on your depression, there may be other things that have to be worked through first before the depression can be alleviated. Or if you're anxious, you might always be anxious going into session, it doesn't mean that therapist isn't good or that therapy isn't working.

I think in some ways it's better to ask, can I see myself growing in this space with this person or have we hit a wall? It's very difficult because someone who is just starting to work through some very scary stuff might start to tell themselves their therapist sucks as an excuse to quit. It's a tricky question but for me I could usually tell between 4 and 8 sessions if I could work with this person.

So ya jump the gently caress in and get your brain fixed. You can always tell them something isn't working and see if they can change it, if not, dump 'em and move on to someone else. That's their job. You are paying them, you are the client. And if you're unsure if a thing is you or the therapist, feel free to ask in the thread or if you're wondering what a certain theory will be like, ask away.

Life Advice from Lavren MayberryLastGirl

Lastgirl posted:

I stopped going online for a while, I turned off the news and it really helped my perspective tremendously.

When you're constantly seeing the worst of humanity piped into your eyeballs from a bright white screen, it can be really detrimental because you start to think that everyone is a massive piece of poo poo playing a zero sum game.

While there are literal sociopaths in the highest seats of power around the globe, it feels like an abstraction when you dealing with the daily minutiae of your lives, especially with school, work and other obligations.

Of course it doesn't mean you should ignore the system, and in fact being active about the news is important to make informed decisions. It's key to go outside because you can engage with communities and make an impact where you can, when you can. Doing so will absolutely improve your state of mind. It's about striking a balance, and if you truly feel passionate about an issue, you should act on it in some way or manner, even down to the smallest tiniest contribution, because it absolutely matters. You don't have to lead the charge on everything.

There will be times where it is tough and it can feel hopeless, that's just the nature of our emotions. It ebbs and flows, as long as you remember that it is temporary and you can focus on the things that truly matter to you and are important to your values, as long as you remain honest to yourself. Be sure to always ask "Why am I being affected by this?" and open a more objective dialogue mentally rather than being critical of yourself. It takes practice do to this but it helps in the long run. If that doesn't work, talk to someone.

Processes like these take time.

Lastly, I'd like to say that it is important to carve out a little time for yourself, only just for yourself. Away from the internet, away from everything else. Just you and yourself alone. For example, I decided to do something new lately and that was to learn how to dance salsa and bachata. It keeps me sane, for real.

It's really the small things that make the biggest difference, and that should not be underestimated because it compounds. So if you are struggling, try to do something small. I wish you well in your endeavors.

Words of DBT Wisdom From Bearded Whiteguy

tl;dr: DBT is real real good for personality disorders, ptsd, and bipolar go get some right away

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

OP, thanks for making this thread. I think we as a community (and culture) need to be a lot better at discussing and working with mental illness.

I want to stress how important orgs like NAMI are. Everyone who does not have insurance and is in this thread, at a minimum check out their website at nami.org. They have many free group therapy sessions (some of which I have led). I might be a failed Psych PhD candidate, but I’ve personally watched people come back from the brink thanks to them.

S&S if you don’t mind, can you let me know what area you live in? I might be able to get you some resources, or if you’re in SoCal, I can hook you up with some orgs I’ve worked with. If not, some of them have national programs (NAMI being the biggest).

A couple of things I want to mention:
1. I think it’s awesome that some of you are agreeing to look into some therapy. As someone who was halfway to a doctorate, let me tell you that there are a few red flags for therapists you should avoid: anything psychoanalysis, homeopathic, or someone who is just a therapist and not a PhD, MD, Psy D or social worker as your first intervention. For the various symptoms expressed here, CBT and DBT are the way to go. Psychology Today and other websites will have their qualifications, specialties, and therapy theories. Focus on that.

2. DBT is something I have pushed for everyone who suffers from depression, PTSD, or Bipolar Disorders. I might be biased, it is what I was working on in my Graduate program, but it is extremely successful. It’s based on learning coping mechanisms, with prescription interventions if necessary.

3. I am not a licensed therapist, and I don’t think anyone here is. But for gods sake, do not self-medicate. Smoking weed is fine in small doses (microdosing is having some interesting studies come out right now), but if it is your only way of coping you are not getting help. If you are in a crisis, having a panic attack, go for it. But you’ve got to develop coping mechanisms besides that and you likely never learned how to do it properly growing up. Orgs like NAMI will help as much as they can. Do not feel shame over using it. It works and helps people (and is way cheaper than sessions), but there’s a lot of free or cheap resources out there I can point you to to use as well.

4. Online Therapy is really new and has extremely conflicting reports of effectiveness. If you’re in a situation that it’s the best, cheapest and most convenient option, do it. Every experience or person who I’ve known that has used them is extremely based on who you speak with. You’ll likely go through a lot of people, but you might do that with a face to face therapist anyway.

Last thing, there tend to be free DBT courses or cheap ones available that are paid with Medicare or insurance. If you live in a poo poo state like Texas and don’t qualify, please reach out to your local NAMI. https://www.nami.org/Find-Support

I also can send you links to online programs, workbooks, etc that have saved the lives of a lot of people I know if any of you are interested. Know that you are not alone. There are people here that care and want you to get the help you deserve. Just because our country is a horrible mess, doesn’t mean there isn’t support out there.

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Ok, it's Sunday morning and I have some time to drop some links and theory. One of the biggest leaps in psychological theory was created by Marsha Linehan, a psychologist who suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder. Some of you may be familiar with this disorder (or even have it), so you may know how difficult it is to treat... except it's actually not. For a long time, psychologists and psychiatrists just refused to put in the work to properly study and treat it. Enter Marsha Linehan who developed a therapy model that not only gave her the ability to live not only a normal life, but an extraordinary one. It's called Dialectical Behavior Therapy, or DBT and it has shown to be extremely effective in treating personality disorders, MDBP, addiction, and depression/anxiety disorders. It does this by being skills and empathy based. DBT therapy was created by someone who never received proper empathy or understanding when she was seeking out help, so she designed her theory around it.

The key to DBT is highlighting coping mechanisms that will help with overwhelming emotions, whether it be addiction, depression, manic episodes, etc. These techniques are called Mindfulness exercises and are meant to keep you in what is called "wise mind" instead of "emotion" or "rational" mind. This isn't to say that emotion or rational thoughts are bad by any means, but that when you enter a state of depression or anxiety, either your emotions or lack of emotions take over. DBT is meant to help you get out of that. This is not going to be easy. You are going to mess up and get frustrated. But everyone I know who's stuck with it has seen massive benefits.

Here's some basic resources:

1. DBT Workbook - https://www.amazon.com/Dialectical-Behavior-Therapy-Skills-Workbook/dp/1572245131 It's $13 and is meant to be used with a DBT class... but if you can't get in one, that's fine, here's some more resources. And if you can't afford the book, here's a pdf (but getting the book is worth it because of how much easier it is to write in and keep up with instead of printing off 300 pages): https://www.pdfdrive.com/the-dialectical-behavior-therapy-skills-workbook-e19134904.html

2. DBT Training series - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist If you can't get into a group therapy or program, this is a good video series (though it's a bit boring, sorry...) that goes over it.

3. Therapist who specialize in DBT: https://behavioraltech.org/resources/find-a-therapist/

4. Apps you can download: https://www.dbtcenteroc.com/resources/dbt-apps-we-recommend/

But a big thing... you don't need to use DBT by any means. There are many good professionals out there who can help, but you do need to find them. If there aren't free courses, or DBT therapists in your area, that's ok. There are tons of CBT therapists who do amazing work and can help. You can find therapists here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists and you can even select issues you want to focus on. For example, here's a list of therapists who specialize in depression, are CBT or DBT focused, and located in Arkansas: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/depression/72901?sid=5c69a49e589f6&zipdist=3&spec=293&spec=488. If you look on the left, you can even select gender, insurance accepted, etc. If you click on their page, you'll see their photo, qualifications, and focus.

Last thing, https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/groups Here you can find support groups in your area. Click DBT and adults. Additionally, there's also NAMI: https://www.nami.org/Find-Support Now, I know getting to these may be difficult, and many are not free. But, there's now facetime/webcam ones available. So if you don't have any in your area, the cost is prohibitive, etc, here's some resources as well:

1. Turn2me - funded by the Republic of Ireland, there's a small fee to join if you're not Irish, but it's cheap. https://turn2me.org/group-supports

2. ADAA - https://adaa.org/adaa-online-support-group Free online support group. Many therapists participate in it

Keep in mind, this is not a replacement for therapy. It's only if you have nothing else. And, you know, there's always this thread and E/N. I'll try and be more active in both of them if you need something. I also have a plat account, so you can PM me if you need help finding something in your area without revealing any info to the wider world.

*extremely jeb! voice* please read

Somebody has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Dec 6, 2022

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Chokes' Adventures in Mental Health

In August 2018 I suffered a mental breakdown. I've had bipolar 2 all my life and have been med compliant and relatively stable, but after several catastrophic life events and a constant stream of climate change news and fat orange pisshog electronically screaming in my ear 24/7, I began to really break down emotionally. After enduring two months of this, I finally snapped on (I poo poo you not) Halloween 2018, went into the stairway at work, typed out a note, and attempted to hang myself with my hoodie. It didn't come anywhere near working, but I wasn't going to give myself another shot. I called my wife and had her check me in to a private mental facility. I'm telling my story now in case anyone else has to go through this and needs an inkling of an idea what to expect.

First up, I had to go over everything that happened and all my thought processes during the attempt to the doctor, with my wife in the room, which was one of the hardest parts of all this. Then, I had to turn over everything but my wedding ring (for obvious reasons). My sweatpants didn't have drawstrings, so I got to keep those. Once they'd taken me from the public to the secured area, they had to do a further search: nothing invasive, just proving I wasn't hiding things in my clothes. Hilariously, there were no rooms available, and they had to use isolation. Yes, that isolation: metal walls, metal slab with restraints and everything. They apologized profusely insisting the entire time that I wouldn't be staying there at any time or in any form. Even with everything that had just happened, it was still a level of hilarity I could appreciate.

After clearing me to join the general population, they took me to my unit: Unit A. I found out later it was the high functioning, mostly-compliant ward—almost all suicide attempts. There were many whispers of Unit C, the violent/non-compliant ward, and to be careful not to get sent there. :eek: (It was a total bogeyman, by the way. You had to gently caress up really hard to get transferred.) The first night was hell on Earth. I didn't know where I was, what was going to happen to me, I was separated from my wife for an indeterminate amount of time, and my brain was basically broken to the point where my actual personality was barely there. I found out two things right away: It was always loving freezing, and I wasn't allowed to loiter in hallways. I eventually got a blanket and was herded into the TV room, which was some comfortable couches, a big TV with a bunch of movies and channels, and some tables by a little kitchen area. They were watching Deadpool that night, which helped. We also had a rec room down the hall with coloring, puzzles, and other such creative things. After taking a seat and huddling in, one of the other patients was nice enough to come over and talk to me. She had been there a few weeks on involuntary and did her best to cheer me up and let me know what it was like around there. It helped immensely, as did calling my wife to make sure she knew I was ok. Between that and the trazedone, I was eventually able to get to sleep without crying.

First full day was incredibly rough. Firstly, you're kept on a strict schedule to control you from oversleeping, which would impact treatment for depression. The problem with this is, you're still a patient, and they need to take your vitals regularly. And when's the best time to take baseline vitals? That's right, 5 AM! But wait, there's more! The enforced breakfast time is 8AM, and they will loving let you know at 7:15AM to get your rear end out of bed. (I mean they're nicer about it than that, but not by much.) Then, you get to stagger into a literal line at the door in your pajamas, half asleep, freezing your rear end off, and wanting to know what the hell you've gotten yourself into. The lineup, of course, is to make sure nobody's managed to escape, because that would be bad. It's also a count of who's actually showing up for breakfast. Missing breakfast regularly does not say good things about how your treatment is going.

The food was actually good at the place I went, and they accommodated my vegetarian diet, which I was really shocked about. After that is morning meds, then you go into all day group therapy. Yup, all day: 9 AM-4 PM. It varies a little. 10AM is rec therapy, which was run by a tiny tattooed girl with turquoise hair who liked game shows. I was also pulled out of my first group session to meet with my assigned psychiatrist one on one, who did a pretty significant adjustment to my meds (which started helping almost immediately). I also got an honest to gods cranial nerve exam. It is not as relaxing as the ASMR ones, I assure you. We also had two courtyards group was sometimes held in, one of our own and one we shared with (GASP) Unit C, and we'd get an hour of what was basically recess. Giant Jenga was a particular favorite. The shittalking over it was incredible.

After getting through day one, the rest was a little easier, though still massively disorienting and unreasonably cold. I got lucky being in a highly compliant ward, because everyone in there was super chill, open, and friendly. They were also possibly the most interesting group of people I've met in my life, including the world's sassiest Vietnamese woman and a woman who was a PhD in indigenous studies in Uruguay who had no only visited tribes but spoke their language. I obviously can't and won't share their stories, but after having constant group all week, it got to the point where we could recite each other's backstories and what landed us here without breaking a sweat. And you know what? It felt good. You had this group of people who accepted you for who you were, at your worst, because jesus christ we were all at our worst.

Fun stories:

* One of the techs was an incredible rear end in a top hat about waking people up for vitals. He would turn on the lights without announcing it and then make fun of people who were basically stunned and whimpering from it. Apparently he added an extra creepy "GOOD MORNING YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL" for said PhD who apparently responded "WHO ARE YOU WHAT'S GOING ON AND YES I AM"

* In one of the rare WHAT NEWS FROM THE OUTSIDE WORLD moments, they were playing actual music on a speaker in the courtyard during one of our rec sessions. I requested and got a St. Vincent song, the first vestige of anything linking me to my outside world before. I was told while singing along to it that I had a beautiful singing voice, which I was not aware of :)

* We located a book of mad libs, and I immediately warned everyone it would degenerate into every word being "penis." Despite the what-the-hell reaction, what's the first thing that happened when we did one? A result of, and I am quoting directly: "They were determined to built the slipperiest snowman anyone had ever laid their vaginas on." I did try to warn them.

* Pens were at a premium and were technically contraband since we could hurt ourselves/others with them. When one was found left behind or fallen in a couch, we would shush each other and determine who got to smuggle that one into their room. We also had one or two people very good at stealing and hording snacks when no one was looking. Our ward had a perpetual disapproving note that the staff has been finding snacks and writing utensils in people's rooms on the wall by the front desk. I don't think anyone actually cared.

* Cake baking shows were our go-to for down time. Not British Baking, sadly, but food network poo poo. I really came to hate the diva british lady on that show. :mad:

* A case worker from another ward came by and noted all the laughter, saying how we sounded like a fun group. I responded cheerfully with, "Well, it's because we're mostly suicide attempts!" She was horrified. We thought it was hilarious.

* One guy got added to our ward because he seemed like a fairly affable outgoing meathead, although announcing himself as a "fiscally conservative socially liberal" republican immediately made me hate him. It turned out I had good reason. We all started noticing his affect slipping from time to time and generally being way too aggressive about personal space and volume, even while friendly. Turned out he eventually punched a hole in the wall of his room and flipped his poo poo so hard they almost called a code blue, i.e. get security/the police. Fortunately they got him calmed down without further drama. Needless to say, he got moved to Unit C.

* One night, we got to shoot the poo poo with a tech and ask him for crazy stories. Worst he saw in Unit C was a guy poo poo himself on the go---just let it out his pant leg and kept right on truckin'. Worst in Unit A was a guy who apparently dove behind the counter, ripped off his clothes, and screamed GIVE ME MY MEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! (To be fair, he wasn't wrong.)

* I finally asked why the temperature was so low and got an interesting answer: it reduces hostility and keeps people from falling asleep or staying still for too long. I can see the first but I call bullshit on the second. I can't stay awake when it's 60 loving degrees indoors.

Anyway, I was very lucky in that my wife visited me on all three visitation days like clockwork, and I called her the nights we didn't see each other. It was really heartwarming to see some of my ward homies go to visitation and light up, like a really big genuine smile, seeing their loved ones again. The ones who came back even worse than before were the hard ones to watch. One girl's family hosed her up so bad on a visitation she got moved even deeper into Unit C, where it's basically your rooms and hallway and that's it---that's where people who literally will not comply with anything whatsoever are taken. It was really heartbreaking because she had just started to warm up and open up to our little family. :sigh:

That's the other thing about it: as much as we knew about each other, we got really close. So, when one of us got their release date and commenced with the ceremonial stripping of your bed, there were cheers and hugs all around, and we genuinely missed them. There were always new people rotating in, of course, and I did my part while I was there to pay things forward: invite them over during breakfast, make chit chat in between group, that sort of thing. Just generally making me feel welcome like the woman did when I came in. When the time came for me to leave (one week later), I was shocked at how genuinely crushed I was to be separated from them. I knew I wasn't going to see them again, but also that I didn't want to exchange contact info. The hospital works because we're all just first names. I don't want to screw with that.

When I was finally released, I discovered that the doctors had been handling everything about my case themselves because my case worker didn't have a single goddamn clue. I saw her twice: once when I was admitted, and once when I was being signed out. Besides being completely useless for post hospital care (she gave me a worksheet of triggers to fill out and a recommendation to a therapist who was dicey at best), she brought my wife into the ward while discharging me. This is a massive HIPAA violation, not to mention taking someone into a restricted area with mental health patients is a terrible idea. There is no world in which my wife should have been back there, ever, and I'm still pissed about it to this day.

The first thing I demanded after we left the hospital was a large fry and coke from Wendy's, then a two hour nap with my cat. I was still on short term disability for two months after I got out. It hurt. It hurt to do anything. In the first week, it was a good day if I could get off the recliner and go for a 10 minute walk around the apartment complex, which would wipe me out for the rest of the day. I couldn't do much of anything that required concentration or creativity and was incredibly fragile emotionally. Fortunately, I found a local bipolar support group I could share my experiences with, which helped a lot. The scary thing was, nearly everyone I talked to said I was bouncing back insanely quick: Walking around the first few days, staying med compliant, trying to set one goal a day I could do, actually going places by the end of the second week, etc. If that was bouncing back quick, I can't imagine what the alternative is.

So, that's my story. I want to emphasize the moral here: I am a privileged person, with decent health care, short term disability, and a wife who loves and understands me very much, and I know that. I'm very thankful for it. And yet, in spite of that, I fell down and hit the ground hard, and those four months will forever remain a nightmarish nadir of my life. The thought of someone having to go through that without all the resources and privileges I have loving horrifies me. If you find yourself having suicidal thoughts (ideation), please find a therapist and talk through them. But, if you find yourself actually making plans, that's the time to check yourself into the hospital. We had two days before my attempt where it was 100% clear I was at the end of my mental rope. I saw my therapist, and I thought I could come back from it afterwards, because who goes to a hospital before the attempt? I was a humongous dumbass, so learn from my mistakes. The instant suicide sounds like a great idea and you know how you want to do it, it's time to get help.

Finally, if you can, please help those of us out who end up in places like that. Donate your time to mental health awareness (NAMI is great!). Donate things like playing cards or books to local psych wards---we really appreciate those, especially cards. (Mileage varies on whether or not we get to keep them, though.) And if you see someone suffering from depression, say something. Don't think they'll work it out or that it's none of your business. They may tell you that, but they may also be genuinely surprised to find someone else cares.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 07:12 on Feb 28, 2019

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is it cool if we post personal experiences? I've gone through a lot of treatment and while I won't say I'm cured I'm now stable and happy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

quote:

hey guys i think i'm finally gonna pull the trigger
You literally just posted a section against suicide, and still used this language.

Not attacking, just highlighting how lovely a lot of our throw away phrases are

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
I disagree with the anti GP prescribing psychiatric medication point, considering how less people have access to a psychiatrist than a general practitioner. Depression is both underdiagnosed and undertreated, people need whatever help they can get and doctors didn't go to med school for nothing, they can help.

JuulPodSaveAmerica has issued a correction as of 08:38 on Feb 10, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bilirubin posted:

You literally just posted a section against suicide, and still used this language.

Not attacking, just highlighting how lovely a lot of our throw away phrases are

it's a reference to a really poor attempt at trolling I made that backfired in my face. in retrospect it was not the wisest decision and will be edited

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blanketspace posted:

I disagree with the anti GP prescribing psychiatric medication point, considering how less people have access to a psychiatrist than a general practitioner. Depression is both underdiagnosed and undertreated, people need whatever help they can get and doctors didn't go to med school for nothing, they can help.

I agree it's better than nothing but I still don't recommend letting them handle it long term unless you absolutely have to. Almost all my experience with GPs prescribing psych medicines have been "here's an SSRI check back in with me in a few weeks." Psychiatry requires a lot more tinkering than that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Is it cool if we post personal experiences? I've gone through a lot of treatment and while I won't say I'm cured I'm now stable and happy

Absolutely, since I just barfed out a huge post about my hospital stay. I fully encourage it.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
:gas: this sub is cringe enough without a bad E/N thread

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Autism Sneaks posted:

ain't nobody forcing you to post here chief

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Autism Sneaks posted:

hey its my balls please eat them

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I hope everyone in this thread has a good day today and tomorrow with lots of trump* lols and bestowed upon us and more chuds tripping over their dicks

*I hit random keys to try to misspell trump and that is what actually came out, gently caress

I'm having a hard time this week sharing my usually organized living space with too many people but I finally got some time to myself and ignored them and now my work project's code is organized as hell to make up for it, so that's my good mental health story today

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also, great work on the OP, you put a ton of effort in!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i depress people when i sugar coat how awful my life is, i am worried that if i told them the truth they'd lock me up

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I hope everyone in this thread has a good day today and tomorrow with lots of trump* lols and bestowed upon us and more chuds tripping over their dicks

*I hit random keys to try to misspell trump and that is what actually came out, gently caress

I'm having a hard time this week sharing my usually organized living space with too many people but I finally got some time to myself and ignored them and now my work project's code is organized as hell to make up for it, so that's my good mental health story today

all words come out trum pnow

turmp

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
my brains are irreparably broken lmao

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Also, great work on the OP, you put a ton of effort in!

ty. I've started work as an actual volunteer for NAMI and if posting all this stuff helps even one unironic death crew poster realize there's a better way than my job here is done

Zyla posted:

i depress people when i sugar coat how awful my life is, i am worried that if i told them the truth they'd lock me up

One of the groups in the hospital was about boundries, you have to set them sometimes and that includes not offering information to casual acquaintances

do you have a therapist

you need to tell that poo poo to a therapist

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Low Desert Punk posted:

my brains are irreparably broken lmao

:hmmyes:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

yep i got two therapists actually :toot:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

yep i got two therapists actually :toot:

gj

remember they can't force you to do anything unless you say the magic words "I want to kill myself" or "I want to kill someone else" in a clearly non-joking manner

so get that poo poo off ur chest

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

op I didn't read but im going to walk in to a black hole while naked and pissing everywhere

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

gj

remember they can't force you to do anything unless you say the magic words "I want to kill myself" or "I want to kill someone else" in a clearly non-joking manner

so get that poo poo off ur chest

yeah i know how to play the game. i just often have the problem like mr burns and his many illnesses. Everything gets stuck in the door all trying to pile in at once.

it my poo poo:

i often forget to bring up really important poo poo because theres so much other poo poo going on i cant think of how to isolate it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

yeah i know how to play the game. i just often have the problem like mr burns and his many illnesses. Everything gets stuck in the door all trying to pile in at once.

it my poo poo:

i often forget to bring up really important poo poo because theres so much other poo poo going on i cant think of how to isolate it

make a list beforehand, then toss it in the trash at your therapists

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poniard posted:

op I didn't read but im going to walk in to a black hole while naked and pissing everywhere

:patriot:

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
My last therapist was clearly connected to the mob in some manner. He was a stout Italian man who always wore an unbuttoned shirt. His office was in his massive house that always had two sports cars parked outside. I miss seeing his wife/mistress doing yardwork in her sports bra. Anyway im looking for a new therapist. Group therapy sounds interesting

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

hey chokes im glad youre doin better

hey everyone else chokes is good people

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

trgbh

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/SeanWithersDraw/status/1094533252499435520

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Every time I start thinking about the implications of climate change I have to stop because as much as I think that we all sort of deserve to die the actual-factual breakdown and dissolution of human society will entail a ton of pain and horror. And y'know, the idea of that just sits at the back of my head buzzing around like flies on poo poo almost every day.

When I was a kid driving outside of the city during the summertime meant that your car got plastered with insects. Now no matter where I drive, whether around my hometown or across the Canadian prairie, my car comes out clean on the other side. And I look at it and realize that we're going to die.

Anyway, trumo. What a guy!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
This is like the weightlifting thread but for your brain

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I could probably benefit from therapy but personally I believe it’s better to have never needed the help, to avoid the stigma of mental illness

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

I've considered therapy but I'm also worried about dumping all of the existential horror I experience on another person, even a trained professional. I'm sure they've "heard it all before" but I'd rather not chance pulling someone into hell w/ me. Irrational?

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Like "lol Donald Trump is president and we're all dead or worse w/in decades" isn't much of a conversation

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

J. P. Beagley posted:

I've considered therapy but I'm also worried about dumping all of the existential horror I experience on another person, even a trained professional. I'm sure they've "heard it all before" but I'd rather not chance pulling someone into hell w/ me. Irrational?

Therapy helps. And there are therapists who specialize in existential dilemmas.

Get therapy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dom is Here posted:

My last therapist was clearly connected to the mob in some manner. He was a stout Italian man who always wore an unbuttoned shirt. His office was in his massive house that always had two sports cars parked outside. I miss seeing his wife/mistress doing yardwork in her sports bra. Anyway im looking for a new therapist. Group therapy sounds interesting

Eeeeey how does dat make ya feel paisano

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

J. P. Beagley posted:

worrying that contact with you will contaminate others, therefore you draw further inward upon yourself, is about as close to a quintessential depressive cognitive feedback loop as you can get, yes. so: irrational. :glomp:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
depression carries with it a kind of "mask" that you throw on because you're trying to maintain that socially mandated false front all the loving time which is utterly draining to keep up, which means you have no energy left over for yourself, which means those insides get worse and worse, which means the mask needs to be held up more rigidly and tightly than ever, which gets harder than ever every single day, which leaves you with less energy, which means you feel emptier and more isolated that ever, which means the mask is more important than ever, and on and on and on and on and on and on and at some point you hit crisis.

and you throw that mask up with the ease of slipping on fitted gloves because a lot of people, even though they truly care, don't really know how to engage with someone clearly Not Feeling It

incorrect: "are you okay?" [mask goes on] Yeah! Sure!

correctl: "what's wrong?" [mask slips, because now you must Show Something] Um. Well,

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Former DILF posted:

I could probably benefit from therapy but personally I believe it’s better to have never needed the help, to avoid the stigma of mental illness

This is an understandable concern but keep in mind literally no one needs to know if you don't want them to. Doctor/client privilege owns

Refusal to talk about it is a million times worse though you'll just rot inside until bad things happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Willie Tomg posted:

depression carries with it a kind of "mask" that you throw on because you're trying to maintain that socially mandated false front all the loving time which is utterly draining to keep up, which means you have no energy left over for yourself, which means those insides get worse and worse, which means the mask needs to be held up more rigidly and tightly than ever, which gets harder than ever every single day, which leaves you with less energy, which means you feel emptier and more isolated that ever, which means the mask is more important than ever, and on and on and on and on and on and on and at some point you hit crisis.

and you throw that mask up with the ease of slipping on fitted gloves because a lot of people, even though they truly care, don't really know how to engage with someone clearly Not Feeling It

incorrect: "are you okay?" [mask goes on] Yeah! Sure!

correctl: "what's wrong?" [mask slips, because now you must Show Something] Um. Well,

Yeah you learn to hide it just so you can function outwardly like a normal human being and that hurts like hell. Depression is so much more common than people think because talking about it is seen as a sign of weakness or just whining, but when it's an epic effort to get out of bed in the morning and take a shower, it's incredibly obvious it's not a personal weakness.

One of the things that pisses me off most about mental health is it's still a medical condition that needs treatment. If I told you I had diabetes and had to take insulin no one would blink an eye, but I tell them I have bipolar and have to take Lamictal and suddenly I'm a ticking time bomb to them