Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

I feel like you've gotta take this over their heads somehow, especially if they're still allowing these lapses in proper safety procedure. it's not fair to you, your coworkers, your patients, or frankly even the kid. first figure out what your options are, then talk to any coworkers you trust not to immediately spread it around to see if they'd be willing to act as witnesses, and go from there.

So far they appear to finally be taking it seriously. For the past week they've been following safety precautions with this kid. I overheard the main one talking to our operations director and basically parroted my talking points that I've been saying for month.

I had a ton of respect for all three of those dudes. The one running the show lost his kid late last year to liver failure brought on by alcoholism. He (more or less) bullies his two compatriots into doing poo poo the way he wants. He's on the verge of retirement and (barring an act of God) I'll slide into his spot when he does.

He's a gym bro and has been taking steroids for awhile and is acting like an alpha male douchebag and governs with alpha maleism and gets super reactionary when people upset the echo chamber. I'm beginning to think he likes creating these situations where the kids can attack because then he can tackle the dogpiss out of them or whatever.

He used to rail against the cowboy mentality and inspired me, and now in his twilight years he became the thing he (rightfully) used to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Hilario Baldness posted:

He's on the verge of retirement

He's a gym bro and has been taking steroids for awhile

these two facts taken together seem to be a giant rear end red flag. like what person gets into steroids and power lifting in their 60s

if he's finally behaving then maybe leave it alone for a bit, but try to document what happened and see if you can get others on record somehow so the next time it happens (I'm guessing there will be a next time from the way you describe this jerk) you'll have a stronger base from which to act. that whole situation sucks though, I'm sorry you have to deal with such a lovely boss who used to be cool. I hope he retires soon

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got nothing but love for the guy. My workplace isn't the most professional but he's been more of a father to me for the last decade than my actual dad did in 20 years. I have sympathy for the guy losing his kid in such a tragic way. I do.

But in this instance I divorce all of that from his responsibility to make our workplace safe. He's not himself. Besides all of that someone got sexually assaulted and I saw her crying and it hurts.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Consummate Professional posted:

whew, the appointment went pretty well and the doctor was super nice. I'm trying to make my work schedule fit in with the intensive outpatient option they have. I think having accountability like that would be super helpful for me.

thank you for the kind words, everyone!

was trying to see and dig through latest posts to see how it went for you; Seriously happy to see your first appointment went really well. Definitely channel all of that momentum going forward into your next appt.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
finally got our tax return last night - went to get a 2.99 4-pack of beers and checked the account expecting to see $43 ish, which would be for the next week, and saw multiple thousands instead. I guess it's no surprise but as a result i feel more clear headed and good today than I have in months. Resource scarcity does a loving number on your mental health. So relieved to be out from under that anxiety for now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

empty whippet box posted:

finally got our tax return last night - went to get a 2.99 4-pack of beers and checked the account expecting to see $43 ish, which would be for the next week, and saw multiple thousands instead. I guess it's no surprise but as a result i feel more clear headed and good today than I have in months. Resource scarcity does a loving number on your mental health. So relieved to be out from under that anxiety for now.

If you need some extra cash to get through the week next time, hit up the goonbux thread here on CSPAM

Edit: Checked out the thread and you're already there, cool. If anyone needs help though, don't be shy

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Apr 8, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Is this the physical health thread? No? Close enough. (I was never actually threadbanned, I was told to take a break from doomwalling.)

I swear I will go crazy with this poo poo. Or have gone crazy.

FOUND THE BUGGER. loving TWO YEARS.

I first started complaining when the doctors couldn't figure out why I kept getting worse symptoms. They still haven't, they just mitigated it.

It has been an incredibly stressful week. For good reasons, and things worked out fine, and I feel much better now. The year... and late last year... have overall been a combo of "something incredibly stressful happens... and then it works out". But... I couldn't piss.

I was under incredible stress... and I couldn't piss.

Hi mental health symptoms, and difficult to locate headaches, were you blood pressure all along? You were, weren't you. Scamps.

Working in loops, are we. I get stressed out from pain symptoms from my other diseases... and the stress fucks with blood pressure... and the blood pressure causes more pain symptoms. Grumble. So I need to get the blood pressure fixed first, THEN do lifestyle changes, huh. On the journal it goes.

Get blood pressure meters y'all. Confirming the hypothesis was incredibly easy because I had one I was kinda lazy about using. More daily things to do!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
On a related note: a gentle reminder that literally everyone is welcome to post here so long as they abide by the OP rules. I really don't want to do "threadbans" or any of that bullshit, so don't make me!!

ok thanks go back to posting now

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also this experience was actually traumatic in parts and now I actually wish I had access to therapy for some of it. Ironic.

(Do not give me any recommendations unless you have personal experiences with accessing therapy in Finland.)

I can't therapy away my nerves deciding they've given up. I can therapy away cyclical thinking about trauma. Well, I can also benzo it away, and pills are a lot easier to get.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Sep 29, 2021

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I'm glad you found that person.

I've been making a point to talk with more people on a deeper level because I'm finding that everyone is struggling with something and just reaching out and asking them about what they're going through is a huge weight off of their back. Then it turns out more often then not that what they're going through is similar to something I am curret going through, have gone through in the past and have some feedback about, or something that a person I know is going through and sometimes I point those people towards each other to help each other out.

Communication is a great therapy.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
speaking of gaslighting, my cmhc is loving with patients, giving incorrect appointment times, changing the times at the last moment, etc, and reading reviews this appears to be systematic. I'm going to be getting the brain zaps for a while due to Cymbalta withdrawal.

who provides oversight of these facilities? because employees are indicating the executives are embezzling and some of the staff are actively malicious.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

erosion posted:

speaking of gaslighting, my cmhc is loving with patients, giving incorrect appointment times, changing the times at the last moment, etc, and reading reviews this appears to be systematic. I'm going to be getting the brain zaps for a while due to Cymbalta withdrawal.

who provides oversight of these facilities? because employees are indicating the executives are embezzling and some of the staff are actively malicious.

IANAL but at the very least that sounds like malpractice with a healthy dollop of fraud on top. The Attorney General of your state may be interested. If you can prove they're actively doing harm to their patients, suing their pants off for malpractice may trigger licenses getting reviewed/revoked. Way above my paygrade though, those are just wild rear end guesses at Google starting points :shrug:

Also I lol at that acronym like a child every time

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Not gonna lie the Johnson and Johnson covid vaccine sucked the life out of me jfc. I laid in bed for 16 hours and couldn't get up.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chuka Umana posted:

Not gonna lie the Johnson and Johnson covid vaccine sucked the life out of me jfc. I laid in bed for 16 hours and couldn't get up.

Johnson and Johnson sucked the life out of Chuka Umana.

Ok.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

endlessmonotony posted:

Johnson and Johnson sucked the life out of Chuka Umana.

Ok.

yea I was surprised it's usually only ur mum that can do that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chuka Umana posted:

yea I was surprised it's usually only ur mum that can do that.

Two of the Johnsons or me mum?

Got a thing for horrible hair and worse ideas huh.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I feel like this is a weird question for an adult to ask, but: How do I figure out if my insurance will cover a given therapist? My new job's insurance just kicked in and this is my first time not living in a small town where absolutely everyone nearby is covered by the only health insurance around, and I would prefer not to get owned by insurance network bullshit

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

DoubleDonut posted:

I feel like this is a weird question for an adult to ask, but: How do I figure out if my insurance will cover a given therapist? My new job's insurance just kicked in and this is my first time not living in a small town where absolutely everyone nearby is covered by the only health insurance around, and I would prefer not to get owned by insurance network bullshit

Check your insurance's website, see if they have a tool that lists in network providers. If not, you can call your insurance company and ask if a provider is covered. They might ask for what code, and while you should ask your therapist, the most common would be 90837 which is psychotherapy >53 minutes without additional in-office services. If they won't tell you outright for some inane reason, you can try asking for the "allowable charge" for a given code and provider, i.e. how much the insurance company has negotiated the cost to.

This all applies to the US though, which I assume is one of the few places you have to deal with network bullshit.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

DoubleDonut posted:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

Has been helpful for me to find therapists in the past. Only had one case where what was listed was wrong, but that was due to the provider not keeping their info up to date.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I just want to say how grateful I am for the people in this thread, and for this thread even existing. It's nice to know there are people who want to help others, and good to know that I'm not the only one struggling. This thread is the bite to the overall C-SPAM bark.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I haven't heard that take, and I'd love to hear more. My understanding was that CBT focuses on accurate thinking, which is useful if I'm unrealistically catastrophizing. I definitely did a lot of that before CBT (and still do to some extent). However, that doesn't do much to address REAL concerns. A lot of things are pretty bad right now, and accurate thinking doesn't address that. In a way, it might even reinforce the status quo. I like the idea of systemic solutions.

Yeah exactly. Accurate thinking is a dangerous idea and has been historically too. Genocides have all used that paradigm - accurate thinking and accurate [Aryan] people. being gay was literally a mental disorder. so a more progressive mental health stance now is "why would we want to push accurate thinking? what if i'm wrong and i tell my client their thoughts are wrong and it's actually me who is wrong?". the more progressive stance is "i have no loving idea what's right for you, i'm here to give you a space where you can heal. i may prod you a bit to gently steer the ship where my training tells me the ship needs to go but it would be unethical for me to tell you what's right or wrong for your life or your thoughts."

i think primarily due to pop psychology people think they know how the mind works but they couldn't be more far off. the mind works systemically. the unconscious and conscious mind work in together as a system. each piece will pull resources from the other in order to keep the whole being safe. if someone has a trauma that is too painful for the conscious mind to parse at the time it will be pushed to the unconscious. why wouldn't the mind just "forget" the trauma to begin with? well sometimes it does but most of the time you wouldn't want to forget it because you need to know to avoid it next time. it's not fullproof but the body/mind want you to remember the thing that hurt you so you know what it looks like in the future and can avoid it. yeah this worked better during earlier parts of our evolution but it's still applicable now. let's say you're a CBT therapist and you train someone to not be fearful of a situation and they actually needed to still be fearful of it and it hurt them again. well you just did something pretty loving unethical and horrible.

and it really just dovetails perfectly with the western notion that some thoughts and feelings BAD. anxiety is BAD. depression is BAD. it's nonsense. we evolved those things for a reason. we should use them when presented with them. not reduce them. it's like saying your liver is BAD. it's a comical idea.

here's a story a therapist i know told me and it wasnt in the context or CBT/theories or anything he was just talking. i think it will better describe what im doing a mediocre job at. i know it reads a bit like the 'russians used a pencil' in space meme but whatever:

this therapist has his own practice but also works for public schools in lovely areas. he gets called in to help with a kid who is particularly disruptive to class. he's in a meeting with the principal, teacher, and a few other administrators. they want the guy to work with the kid to reduce his behaviors so he's not so disruptive in class. they say they've tried everything but nothing is working and they're at the end of their rope. the school decides on weekly sessions during 2nd period of school. He says okay sure and meets with the kid. the first session he just chats with the kid and asks him about his life. the kid opens up and tells him that his mom sells drugs or something on the street and he's the lookout for cops or dangerous people. he has to be vigilant and on alert to keep her safe so she can make money to put food on the table. he keeps that same attitude and energy level in school because kids can't just turn it off and on at a whim. he's tired and cranky because they have to do this throughout the night, like from 10pm to 4am daily.

the CBT solution here is as the school requested. work on training the behaviors out of him. life be damned if he needs those behaviors and vigilance to protect his mother and himself.

what did the therapist do for their weekly sessions? he let the kid sleep in his office for the hour.

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Apr 13, 2021

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

samantonio posted:

I just want to say how grateful I am for the people in this thread, and for this thread even existing. It's nice to know there are people who want to help others, and good to know that I'm not the only one struggling. This thread is the bite to the overall C-SPAM bark.

Yeah. This thread was originally made because A) I wanted something, ANYTHING, good to come out of my hospitalization and B) because ttujmp. It's taken off from there, and I'm pretty goddamn proud of how much it's helped people.

Group therapy is so so good.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Left SA for a while because of a lot of reasons, but this thread was one I remembered and appreciated. It was nice to get a little helping hand now and again, when poo poo was rough

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
hey gang, just checking in and saying hi.

I did manage to get all my ducks in a row and was supposed to start an virtual intensive outpatient program today but they called and said the system is hosed so there's no session today.

kinda frustrating but I'm proud of myself for not thinking "gently caress yeah one more day of drinking" and played video games instead.

I also started a certificate program this week to work towards getting into the IT field because I am real sick of customer service and there's so many IT jobs around here.

School sucks but I'm super motivated to get this done. I do know I'll probably start out in a help desk spot which is also basically customer service lol. but there's really no upward mobility in my current job.

so, things are going okay and every waking moment of life isn't miserable!! I know I'll ebb and flow and hope the IOP helps with that as well as getting better coping skills.

I hope everyone is doing okay or if not, surviving in this weird rear end world

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i'm thinking of trying ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy). i read a self-help book by the guy who invented it (steven c hayes) and thought it was interesting. or, at least, i find the neo-skinnerian theory of cognition and language it is based on--called RFT--to be broadly plausible, which might be why i'm finding ACT's prescriptions effective.

does anyone itt have experience with ACT, whether as a patient or clinician or from the pov of academic study?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Am I the only one who saved LESS money during the pandemic? I guess between therapy and take out, I saved next to nothing this whole time. And I have a good job which means I can afford to save like that "2 times your yearly income by 35 article" and apparently I blew it on food out of sheer despair. I worry because I haven't invested squat since the whole market looks like a risk and there is almost no advice out there that's non specific to the us. I am an utter waste of space :-(

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

thehandtruck posted:

More good stuff

Glad to hear from you again. I think the intersection of leftist thought and mental health is a big deal, and this is the only place I know of where I can talk about it in a productive way. I tend to keep my ideology and my mental health compartmentalized, as I don't want to import politics into my support group and I don't expect most people to understand mental health issues. They're both a huge part of my life though, and it's stifling to keep it in.

I have more thoughts on the subject of ideology and mental health, but I'm having trouble thinking clearly right now. I looked back at my posts from a few days ago, and I can't imagine writing that much now. I was more up then, and I'm more down now. I tried to write a reply to another thread, but I couldn't seem to get my thoughts together. It's frustrating. Feels like I'm just waiting for my next bout of hypomania so I can be outgoing and productive again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I just don’t have the energy to do anything. Dont cook, don’t clean, and keep wasting money in online courses I don’t finish and a zillion little charges I accumulated. What’s wrong with me?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
had bad anxiety all week about the appointment I had this morning to ask to be prescribed an antidepressant. The call lasted six minutes in total and I will be picking up my meds on the way home from work. really thought it was going to be a whole ordeal. if I knew it was so easy I would’ve asked years ago. gently caress!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

had bad anxiety all week about the appointment I had this morning to ask to be prescribed an antidepressant. The call lasted six minutes in total and I will be picking up my meds on the way home from work. really thought it was going to be a whole ordeal. if I knew it was so easy I would’ve asked years ago. gently caress!

The trick is to keep on them and have patience to figure out the best one / combination for you. I went through loads of them over the years. Nowadays there's about as many antidepressants as there are stars in the sky.

Started off with escitalopram, went to citalopram when my insurance no longer covered the former, then to adding duloxetine to the maximum dose (which legit made me like crazy-crazy). Eventually when I finally met with a psychiatrist I was diagnosed with PTSD and OCD and given sertraline and mirtazapine, which have been instrumental in my recovery.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wish I was already dead :)

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
yeah she was debating between giving me the escotalopram and sertraline but settled on me starting with the sertraline.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tainen posted:

yeah she was debating between giving me the escotalopram and sertraline but settled on me starting with the sertraline.

Keep a symptom journal. Detail how you feel, including the mundane stuff that happens every day, and then note anything out of the ordinary or different since yesterday. Get used to it, you'll be doing it daily for a very long time.

Sertraline is a good starting point though.

Also an electric toothbrush and either a heavy-duty toothpaste or a heavy-duty mouthwash. Or an anti-drying no-fluorine mouthwash and a fluoridated toothpaste. No a regular toothbrush is not enough.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

indigi posted:

I wish I was already dead :)

Please don't do this.

If you're having a legit crisis PLEASE reach out to someone using the resources at the beginning of the thread. Otherwise, don't be flippant about that in here.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

related to my earlier post about my CMHC loving people over:

On day 5 of cold turkey Cymbalta withdrawal. It's not too bad really, occasional floaty zappy moments and some mood issues but not utterly horrible so far. It was odd that Alice in Chains was playing on the radio as I sat in the parking lot before work and that made me tear up for some reason, probably nostalgia, it was a good sort of feeling but odd.

Of course this is a point in life where everything else gets hosed up, wife's mom is in hospice and expected not to last long. Since her dad is there with her most of the time, I drive the kids to school which messes with my sleep. Wife is having her own health issues, anxiety and stuff from her mom and also gall bladder stuff. And our oldest usually drives my old car and the tie rod gave out today, they say it's too old to fix which is probably true but it sucks because he refuses to take a bus or ride a bike, anything other than drive even though he only works like 2 miles away. I've been drinking several times a week and that's not sustainable either.

I tried calling another shrink today and they told me I need a referral from a GP, which I don't really have, although supposedly my insurance assigned one to me. I don't go to the doctor unless it's on a stretcher.

I've even sort of taken the viewpoint that if my CMHC doesn't care about my mental health, maybe it's all in my head anyway and I just need to stop being such a baby. Earlier they cut me off from therapy because I missed too many appointments and even after that ban expired I stopped seeking therapy because the whole thing was such a bad experience.

I'm really just venting here.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

erosion posted:

On day 5 of cold turkey Cymbalta withdrawal.
i tried to do cold turkey cymbalta withdrawal last year, and couldn't. the side effects for me actually didn't start until about the two-week mark, i was feeling fine and then suddenly was hit by a crushing 24/7 anxiety that lasted until i started taking the tablets again. i stuck it out for about five months. at no point did the side-effects ever feel like they were improving or getting better; they just kept getting worse and worse and worse, until i was basically locked in a never-ending panic attack and had no choice but to go back on the medication.

this isn't to discourage you from trying to quit; it worries me how much worse my anxiety is now than it was before the cymbalta, and i wish i could quit too. but it's the warning i wish someone had given me before i tried. be prepared for months of feeling like poo poo. it doesn't happen to everyone, but it looks like it happens to enough people that "cymbalta withdrawal syndrome" is considered a psychiatric condition in and of itself, and if you're not expecting it, it can completely gently caress you up.

if you don't think you're ready for that in your current life situation? stay on the cymbalta. even if it's not working for you, it's not hurting you. you can always quit later, when things are calmer.

perepelki has issued a correction as of 06:49 on Apr 15, 2021

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

erosion posted:

On day 5 of cold turkey Cymbalta withdrawal.

You're probably fairly close to being over the hump. If memory serves, for me it was like a week or so.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

perepelki posted:

i tried to do cold turkey cymbalta withdrawal last year, and couldn't. the side effects for me actually didn't start until about the two-week mark, i was feeling fine and then suddenly was hit by a crushing 24/7 anxiety that lasted until i started taking the tablets again. i stuck it out for about five months. at no point did the side-effects ever feel like they were improving or getting better; they just kept getting worse and worse and worse, until i was basically locked in a never-ending panic attack and had no choice but to go back on the medication.

this isn't to discourage you from trying to quit; it worries me how much worse my anxiety is now than it was before the cymbalta, and i wish i could quit too. but it's the warning i wish someone had given me before i tried. be prepared for months of feeling like poo poo. it doesn't happen to everyone, but it looks like it happens to enough people that "cymbalta withdrawal syndrome" is considered a psychiatric condition in and of itself, and if you're not expecting it, it can completely gently caress you up.

if you don't think you're ready for that in your current life situation? stay on the cymbalta. even if it's not working for you, it's not hurting you. you can always quit later, when things are calmer.

Hilario Baldness posted:

You're probably fairly close to being over the hump. If memory serves, for me it was like a week or so.

so, opinions vary,

i guess i glossed over it above but I'm not quitting Cymbalta by choice, entirely

erosion has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I think I'm getting kinda terrified of psychiatrists now that I'm watching a bunch of Frontline stuff on the satanic abuse stuff in the 80s and the controversy over MPD and repressed memory theory. These were some of the premier psychiatrists in the world, and they believed that average people were programmed by satanic cults to have multiple personalities to be triggered like the Manchurian candidate!! We're told to be listening to the experts and the science!!

So we've had lobotomies, electroshock, homosexuality as disease and the satanic abuse cult theories, and psychiatry has left a huge amount of wreckage in its wake. I really hope there isn't anything today that we'll look back on and think wtf were we doing?

I'm not saying don't see a psychiatrist but I've been pretty disillusioned with the whole practice outside of the medications which work.