Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Taking another shot at starting therapy today. I have to leave work early which I hate and I have hosed up my life in really big ways that talking or drugs cant help but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N4jf6rtyuw

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I have real hard time engaging with therapy sometimes. I know that there aren't enough to go around and I often feel like my condition isnt bad enough to take one of the spots. I'm still going though.

I also feel this way when I try to apply for accommodations at work/school. Still working on that one.

twoday
May 4, 2005

It's up to the therapist to determine their schedules and how often they see patients and whether they should be seen at all. To be altruistic is saintly but your needs are just as valid as everyone else's

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twoday posted:

It's up to the therapist to determine their schedules and how often they see patients and whether they should be seen at all. To be altruistic is saintly but your needs are just as valid as everyone else's

In fact minimizing your own problems at the cost of your sanity is unhealthy as well. Besides the fact you’re a paying patient and this is your therapist’s job, you can’t compare your own issues against others. it’s good to have compassion/empathy for others, but ultimately, you have to do something about your own suffering.

you deserve to feel good. it’s not selfish!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pushpins posted:

Taking another shot at starting therapy today. I have to leave work early which I hate and I have hosed up my life in really big ways that talking or drugs cant help but whatever

good luck. Make sure to be honest about how you’re feeling, it’s easy to fall back into old habits and put on the “everything’s fine” mask.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Chokes McGee posted:

good luck. Make sure to be honest about how you’re feeling, it’s easy to fall back into old habits and put on the “everything’s fine” mask.

Thank you. I actually overshare a lot with people who aren't my family so we'll see how it goes

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I have real hard time engaging with therapy sometimes. I know that there aren't enough to go around and I often feel like my condition isnt bad enough to take one of the spots. I'm still going though.

I also feel this way when I try to apply for accommodations at work/school. Still working on that one.

if you live within a developed country, the reason that there's 'not enough to go around' is due to political decisions made in the past. get the care you need. then, use your voice as a citizen to push the state to provide for more mental health resources, imo.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im havin a REAL poo poo TIME ATM

losing my poo poo and flipping out

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zyla posted:

Color

Or maybe play a video game, or meditate

twoday
May 4, 2005

Zyla posted:

Why

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Dang it took a lot to chill blah

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think cities are the most harmful thing for mental health, but the internet is like, overtaking cities.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

our society is the most harmful thing for mental health

keep everybody in a state of low to high panic about if they're going to be able to pay rent, what happens if they get sick, what happens if they can't get to work, what happens if their boss fires them for any reason at all

unless you have a good job with good benefits or you're a sewer hermit and you don't have to worry about these things as much, it's going to eat you alive and that's even before you start considering people's predisposition to brain problems

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

redneck nazgul posted:

our society is the most harmful thing for mental health

keep everybody in a state of low to high panic about if they're going to be able to pay rent, what happens if they get sick, what happens if they can't get to work, what happens if their boss fires them for any reason at all

unless you have a good job with good benefits or you're a sewer hermit and you don't have to worry about these things as much, it's going to eat you alive and that's even before you start considering people's predisposition to brain problems

Yeah. Constant, oppressive fear is one of the major major components to do many Millennials dealing with depression and suicide. There's a lot to be afraid of out there, and that's before you factor in brain chemistry issues like bipolar.

One book that helped with with that is Man's Search for Meaning (and I'm eventually going to make that book recommendation list). It's some rough poo poo in the first part about concentration camps before it gets into actual noologic theory, but the author not once comes across as "look how much worse it was here." it's more, "here is the most extreme version of suffering imaginable and you will see parts of your life mirroring it, and here is how I overcame them."

It helps a lot, especially with existential depression/anxiety, which a lot of us in cspam have. It's pretty much what the entire subforum runs on, really.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
my dentist keeps telling me I'm grinding my teeth but if I gotta choose between wearing my teeth down to nubs or not being able to sleep cause I'm wearing a mouth guard I'm gonna choose sleep.

plus they want like $250 to make that poo poo because of course it's not covered by insurance.

wouldn't fix the underlying problem anyway, which is that I am physically incapable of Chill

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

my dentist keeps telling me I'm grinding my teeth but if I gotta choose between wearing my teeth down to nubs or not being able to sleep cause I'm wearing a mouth guard I'm gonna choose sleep.

plus they want like $250 to make that poo poo because of course it's not covered by insurance.

wouldn't fix the underlying problem anyway, which is that I am physically incapable of Chill

once you get used to it you will sleep a lot better and have many fewer headaches

its worth it to try to push on thru

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Zyla posted:

ice cold shower

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Bruxism is a common problem, people without anxiety can end up with it.

They actually do make otc mouth guards. They won't be as good as the dentists but they're way cheaper.

Check bed bath and beyond, they should have ones that go over your back molars and are less invasive. Take the dentists off you can afford it though.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
You may also be magnesium deficient which causes bruxism like nobody's business. Take vitamins and pound some chamomile tea and see what that does for your jaw. At the very least you'll be chemically chilled.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

You may also be magnesium deficient which causes bruxism like nobody's business. Take vitamins and pound some chamomile tea and see what that does for your jaw. At the very least you'll be chemically chilled.

if you take magnesium supplements get the chelated version, they're bigger and maybe a bit pricier but they are absorbed a gently caress ton better by humans

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Does anyone else feel profound feelings of worthlessness? Does political news only make it worse? I look at these colossally awful things happening in the world and even close to home, and just think of how powerless I am. It really exacerbates depression.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

do NOT jack off posted:

Does anyone else feel profound feelings of worthlessness? Does political news only make it worse? I look at these colossally awful things happening in the world and even close to home, and just think of how powerless I am. It really exacerbates depression.

Oh yeah. The system is basically set up to make you feel tiny and powerless. Becoming involved in local activist groups really helped me with these feelings. I can at least say I'm doing something even if it seems insignificant.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

do NOT jack off posted:

I could tell you what helps relieve that and other tension but I don't think you're personally allowed to do it

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I could tell you what helps relieve that and other tension but I don't think you're personally allowed to do it

Speak your mind, and we shall see.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
smoke weed about it

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't like smoking I'm bad at it because I'm lame I should get one of those weed vapes or something.

I bought several ounces of weed from my uncle three years ago and I've only ever used half of it, it's probably all lovely now, now that I think about it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Weed vaporizers are two pieces: One little round USB battery and one little cartridge thing full of thin wax with a circuit hidden somewhere inside it too I guess. Each of them costs less than 50 bucks at your local dispensary. For how long they can last they are definitely the most cost effective way to get the strongest high. The strongest that you can from THC and CBD oil. These vaporizers are also almost certainly better on the lungs than smoking raw leaf is, burning fewer random organic chemicals from leaves and also with less risk of burning your lungs.

You have to decide if your goal is to relieve anxiety or get ideas, because that determines if you want the chemical CBD oil or THC, and if you want indica or sativa breeds of weed, respectively. Smoking or eating too much sativa when you don't mean to is a huge existentially terrifying mistake, but even that can serve to relieve anxiety later simply by showing you more about how your mind works and that the world doesn't end even if you give up control fully.

When you use a wax cartridge it is crucial to be good at taking hits or else you're wasting it and only getting a placebo effect. Remember that video of Elon Musk smoking and nothing but white smoke came out? That means he did it wrong and absorbed almost nothing - he didn't hold it in. On the other hand, if you try holding in really dense, hot smoke you're going to burn the poo poo out of your lungs, cough, and gently caress your lungs up. Don't do that either. Here's what you do: Suck in weed for only a brief moment and then suck in totally clean air for the remaining 90% of your inhale. Your lungs should be full of mostly cool clean air except for the quick concentrated hit of smoke you sucked in at the beginning. It will absorb *extremely* well into your body this way and it could take you by surprise, so be warned. Try it just for one hit at first to avoid being knocked off your feet. By doing it this way your weed will last forever and you will feel it for sure. Breathe out hard enough and breathe back in soon enough to clean it all out of your lungs and prevent coughing.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Feb 14, 2019

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i gotta look around, weed is legal in michigan now but i don't know how many dispensaries there are that aren't classified as medical dispensaries.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Weed vaporizers are two pieces: One little round USB battery and one little cartridge thing full of thin wax with a circuit hidden somewhere inside it too I guess. Each of them costs less than 50 bucks at your local dispensary. For how long they can last they are definitely the most cost effective way to get the strongest high. The strongest that you can from THC and CBD oil. These vaporizers are also almost certainly better on the lungs than smoking raw leaf is, burning fewer random organic chemicals from leaves and also with less risk of burning your lungs.

You have to decide if your goal is to relieve anxiety or get ideas, because that determines if you want the chemical CBD oil or THC, and if you want indica or sativa breeds of weed, respectively. Smoking or eating too much sativa when you don't mean to is a huge existentially terrifying mistake, but even that can serve to relieve anxiety later simply by showing you more about how your mind works and that the world doesn't end even if you give up control fully.

When you use a wax cartridge it is crucial to be good at taking hits or else you're wasting it and only getting a placebo effect. Remember that video of Elon Musk smoking and nothing but white smoke came out? That means he did it wrong and absorbed almost nothing - he didn't hold it in. On the other hand, if you try holding in really dense, hot smoke you're going to burn the poo poo out of your lungs, cough, and gently caress your lungs up. Don't do that either. Here's what you do: Suck in weed for only a brief moment and then suck in totally clean air for the remaining 90% of your inhale. Your lungs should be full of mostly cool clean air except for the quick concentrated hit of smoke you sucked in at the beginning. It will absorb *extremely* well into your body this way and it could take you by surprise, so be warned. Try it just for one hit at first to avoid being knocked off your feet. By doing it this way your weed will last forever and you will feel it for sure. Breathe out hard enough and breathe back in soon enough to clean it all out of your lungs and prevent coughing.

I am in Louisiana so lol. No local dispensaries. That being said, therapy and weed sound like the way forward. I have a lifelong case of depression, and weed and meds make it easy enough to function for now. Weed may be the next best thing until I move to NOLA

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I finally sacked up and looked up therapists in my area. Pretty much the moment I started reading the bios and therapy strategies I had an insane upwelling of nonspecific emotion and started crying so I think this is definitely a good thing.

I sent an email requesting an appointment so here goes.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Good job, Salvor

And good luck!

:hf:

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I finally sacked up and looked up therapists in my area. Pretty much the moment I started reading the bios and therapy strategies I had an insane upwelling of nonspecific emotion and started crying so I think this is definitely a good thing.

Congrats! I know how confusing all of it can be but it does get better. Don't be afraid to "shop around" until you find a therapist you feel comfortable with.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

I cant speak to anyone elses lived experience, but for me, smoking weed became a serious loving problem and ive felt a lot better since i knocked it off.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Good job. I can't say that it always works out, but starting therapy really helped make life a lot more bearable for me.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

do NOT jack off posted:

I am in Louisiana so lol. No local dispensaries. That being said, therapy and weed sound like the way forward. I have a lifelong case of depression, and weed and meds make it easy enough to function for now. Weed may be the next best thing until I move to NOLA

I wasn't suggesting weed to you earlier, it was a joke on your username

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
bong hits 4 broke brains

Gonna repeat this again: tell your p-Doc you're smoking. SSRIs, antitypical psychotic, and cannibis are mostly likely not going to play well together and they need to tell you what could happen at the very least.

Hilariously I have bipolar friends who get prescribed loving ketamine of all things. I mean, it's super micro doses in an inhaler so you're not gonna be trippin on special k 24/7 but they all swear by it for alleviating depression.

Iirc Nona can comment on this since the first time I heard about it was from her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You have done an incredibly brave thing. Remember, nothing said in that room leaves it and your therapist is professionally trained to not judge a single loving thing you say except in the context of whether or not it impacts your overall recovery plan.

Good luck! Keep us posted :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
CSPAM Mental Health and Depression Thread: smoke weed about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I had a dentist recently want to charge me $1700 for one but after I fired him and went to another the night guard I had been using for the past long time is still fine.

You can also get them at a drugstore for fairly cheap, just saw a few to choose from tonight in fact. They won't be perfectly custom but eh better then grinding them. I use dto wake up with a sore mouth and loose teeth and don't anymore, its a huge help