Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DoubleDonut posted:

I feel like this is a weird question for an adult to ask, but: How do I figure out if my insurance will cover a given therapist? My new job's insurance just kicked in and this is my first time not living in a small town where absolutely everyone nearby is covered by the only health insurance around, and I would prefer not to get owned by insurance network bullshit

You call them, they run your card, and you go from there. In my case, the insurer referred me to providers who said my plan doesn’t cover anything and quoted me a 500 dollar initial appointment :v

Somebody has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
The people at the doctor's office will know for sure if they take your insurance, and many places will check before even letting you schedule an appointment.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

I think I'm getting kinda terrified of psychiatrists now that I'm watching a bunch of Frontline stuff on the satanic abuse stuff in the 80s and the controversy over MPD and repressed memory theory. These were some of the premier psychiatrists in the world, and they believed that average people were programmed by satanic cults to have multiple personalities to be triggered like the Manchurian candidate!! We're told to be listening to the experts and the science!!

The panic was kicked off by a book written by a woman who married the psychiatrist who treated her, and said husband's position was used to give it legitimacy. No way would poo poo like that fly today.

Not to say psychiatry can't be used for misguided or sinister aims but these days I think the biggest problem is how it and psychology are getting more and more geared towards making people ignore (or be "mindful" of) the realities of hellworld and capitalism so they can keep the system running until it inevitably falls apart. And even that heavily depends on individual therapists. Seek help until you find one that works for you.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 10:11 on Apr 16, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Chuka Umana posted:

I really hope there isn't anything today that we'll look back on and think wtf were we doing?

Almost certainly there is. The harmful things we're doing is just one aspect of this, but I wonder about what sort of poo poo we're just taking for granted that future generations will look back at in horror (if we survive that long). For example, it's not that long ago that it was just normal for everyone to walk around in constant agony as their teeth rotted out of their mouths. Attempts to deal with the lack of dental hygiene then made things worse instead of better, with people using acids and abrasives to strip the enamel of their teeth, and crudely operating on themselves without anesthetic.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Chuka Umana posted:

I think I'm getting kinda terrified of psychiatrists now that I'm watching a bunch of Frontline stuff on the satanic abuse stuff in the 80s and the controversy over MPD and repressed memory theory. These were some of the premier psychiatrists in the world, and they believed that average people were programmed by satanic cults to have multiple personalities to be triggered like the Manchurian candidate!! We're told to be listening to the experts and the science!!

So we've had lobotomies, electroshock, homosexuality as disease and the satanic abuse cult theories, and psychiatry has left a huge amount of wreckage in its wake. I really hope there isn't anything today that we'll look back on and think wtf were we doing?

I'm not saying don't see a psychiatrist but I've been pretty disillusioned with the whole practice outside of the medications which work.

yeah people are right to be afraid of psychiatry because its past was so barbaric and exemplified the worst parts of humanity. (just a quick shout out to freud who got blacklisted for saying maybe we should stop doing that poo poo and digging out people's brains and just listen to them for 10 minutes.) IIRC operation paperclip pulled a lot of nazi doctors as well which founded the APA with the help of pharmaceutical companies that of course were tied in with nazi pharma companies that produced the meth necessary for blitzkreigs.

this is why governing bodys for psychotherapy are extremely big on boundaries/ethics/standards and stuff like that. they will take your license pretty quickly. i get a monthly newsletter and in the back you can look at the wall of shame and licenses get revoked or suspended for. most of them are DUI's though. you can also go to the gov website of your state and check the license of whoever you want to see if they've ever had any issues. i do this with whoever i see. this is for psychotherapists btw, not psychiatrists. MD's don't report to those governing bodies they "report" to the APA which is REALLY powerful. they are backed by and are in bed with pharma companies so psychiatrists can break rules all the time and are usually above reproach. it sucks but that's capitalism. therapists need to and should refer clients to MD"s often so we keep an eye out for the good ones which absolutely do exist. i uh....have also met a few who thought michael flynn was q and his son was the messiah...so...

on the Frontline show though....you have to take into account the neoliberal capitalist perspective. capitalism is terrified of therapy because many people will end up realizing they are unhappy and hate their job and want to quit to do something that speaks to them. this is obviously antithetical to capitalist control over a population so Frontline has an interest in deterring anyone from bettering themselves mentally. But there is a group of people that management to escape the negative press from Frontline: life coaches. because by and large life coaches push people to Hustle and Flex That Side Gig and essentially keep working harder and harder.

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Apr 16, 2021

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

thehandtruck posted:

because by and large life coaches push people to Hustle and Flex That Side Gig and essentially keep working harder and harder.

Silver lining here is that that agenda will never work on a lazy prick like me lol

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtnJ_4lndr0

Here is the Frontline documentary from 1995 that shook me so much. I think people should watch this and be mindful when seeing a psychiatrist. Again I'm not saying you shouldn't see a psychiatrist but you also shouldn't be uncritical to the stuff they say. They can easily lead you down a road to worse health so don't be afraid to push back.

The same channel that was posted on also has a lot of other documentaries on MPD/repressed memory theory and the satanic abuse trials. Here's another Frontline doc on the criminal aspect of the panic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSLZQ9zXT38

tl;dr Janet Reno is pure evil and the courts places way too much power and authority in the hands of psychiatrists.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Consummate Professional posted:

hey gang, just checking in and saying hi.

I did manage to get all my ducks in a row and was supposed to start an virtual intensive outpatient program today but they called and said the system is hosed so there's no session today.

kinda frustrating but I'm proud of myself for not thinking "gently caress yeah one more day of drinking" and played video games instead.

I also started a certificate program this week to work towards getting into the IT field because I am real sick of customer service and there's so many IT jobs around here.

School sucks but I'm super motivated to get this done. I do know I'll probably start out in a help desk spot which is also basically customer service lol. but there's really no upward mobility in my current job.

so, things are going okay and every waking moment of life isn't miserable!! I know I'll ebb and flow and hope the IOP helps with that as well as getting better coping skills.

I hope everyone is doing okay or if not, surviving in this weird rear end world

Awesome stuff man!

Identifying those frustrations really shows how tuned in you are to your surroundings right now. Sometimes you really do have to just wiggle your toes in the morning to really get that motivation going.

It sounds like you're settling in great - don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything!

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

The panic was kicked off by a book written by a woman who married the psychiatrist who treated her, and said husband's position was used to give it legitimacy. No way would poo poo like that fly today.

Not to say psychiatry can't be used for misguided or sinister aims but these days I think the biggest problem is how it and psychology are getting more and more geared towards making people ignore (or be "mindful" of) the realities of hellworld and capitalism so they can keep the system running until it inevitably falls apart. And even that heavily depends on individual therapists. Seek help until you find one that works for you.

If you want to listen to two journalists go through Michelle Remembers and talk about the Satanic Panic in general, the podcast You're Wrong About did a deep four episode dive of the novel - https://www.buzzsprout.com/1112270/3883895-quarantine-book-club-michelle-remembers-week-1

To be honest, the evil of psychiatrists is much more banal and human - people just cashing in a paycheck, bigotry and biases, pushing medication they get kickbacks on, and just not giving a poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chuka Umana posted:

Here is the Frontline documentary from 1995 that shook me so much. I think people should watch this and be mindful when seeing a psychiatrist. Again I'm not saying you shouldn't see a psychiatrist but you also shouldn't be uncritical to the stuff they say. They can easily lead you down a road to worse health so don't be afraid to push back.

Vetting a doctor is always crucial, but please try to work with your doctor first. You'll know if they're ignoring you or forcing you down uncomfortable roads, in which case you can fire them and try something else. Never forget that a doctor is a service provider.

Also I'm pretty sure no one jabs a huge needle into your frontal lobes and scrapes it clean these days, ethics in psychiatric medicine honestly have as much in common with 50-100 years ago as the four humors do to today's medicine.

On a related note, this whole line of dialogue is dangerously close to "I'm just asking questions here." Please be mindful of the road this leads down and avoid it if possible.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chokes McGee posted:

Also I'm pretty sure no one jabs a huge needle into your frontal lobes and scrapes it clean these days, ethics in psychiatric medicine honestly have as much in common with 50-100 years ago as the four humors do to today's medicine.

My psychiatric care involved drilling a hole in the side of my head and sticking a straw inside to suck the juice out. Last decade.

The surgeons were a little too excited to have a reason to break out the really wild poo poo.

And it worked really well.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
At a bare minimum just find somebody you can talk to about anything. It doesn't even need to be a therapist or doctor. Humans need to speak to other humans to process the poo poo we go through.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

samantonio posted:

just find somebody you can talk to about anything

lol

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

endlessmonotony posted:

My psychiatric care involved drilling a hole in the side of my head and sticking a straw inside to suck the juice out. Last decade.

The surgeons were a little too excited to have a reason to break out the really wild poo poo.

And it worked really well.

Never said medical science didn't have some wild poo poo in its playbook. just, y'know, they're not doing it based on some wild rear end guess on how the body works. Presumably.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Why? It's extremely good advice.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chokes McGee posted:

Kinda difficult to accomplish with C-SPAM brain.

I've got half a dozen people like that and I'm extremely good at posting a lot and without care.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

if I were depressed I would simply find someone I trust enough to be vulnerable with who wanted to listen. it’s easy peasy, they practically grow on trees!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Chokes McGee posted:

My dude this was in the 1990s.

People still believe in MPD (as depicted in popular media like Sybil or the United States of Tara)/repressed memory theory even though it's been thoroughly discredited.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

indigi posted:

if I were depressed I would simply find someone I trust enough to be vulnerable with who wanted to listen. it’s easy peasy, they practically grow on trees!

They're called therapists tho

Chuka Umana posted:

My dude this was in the 1990s.

People still believe in MPD (as depicted in popular media like Sybil or the United States of Tara)/repressed memory theory even though it's been thoroughly discredited.

Some people still believe the earth is flat. Damning all of psychiatry based on some idiots is... unhelpful at best.

Anyway this has crossed a line for me and I would appreciate it if you dropped it for the good of the thread.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Apr 17, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

They're called therapists tho

did you even read the original quote? it was specifically not about therapists

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

indigi posted:

did you even read the original quote? it was specifically not about therapists

I don't even read my own posts

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

And what is funny about this?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chokes McGee posted:

I don't even read my own posts

:same:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

samantonio posted:

And what is funny about this?

it’s simplistic and laughable

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

indigi posted:

Uh yea, I said at a bare minimum. Like, if you can't get a therapist, at the very least find someone else to open up to. It's intended to be simplistic. What's wrong with that?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

indigi posted:

stop

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

samantonio posted:

Uh yea, I said at a bare minimum. Like, if you can't get a therapist, at the very least find someone else to open up to. It's intended to be simplistic. What's wrong with that?

eh. the reason why a lot of people (including me) are having problems is because of a lack of real-world community and human connections, with no or daunting answers on how to reconnect them. it's good advice but it's hard

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

i say swears online posted:

eh. the reason why a lot of people (including me) are having problems is because of a lack of real-world community and human connections, with no or daunting answers on how to reconnect them. it's good advice but it's hard

Agreed; I don't blame anyone for feeling helpless or stuck in a corner when they're asked to just "find someone". It can be extremely difficult to extend trust or an olive branch when you've been burned so many times.

I've learned to twist that burning process into something positive, and use it as a way of gauging my growth by trying measuring my ability to stay resilient.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Conversely, if you never reach out to people, it is impossible to form connections. The best garauntee of continuing the problem is to do nothing to solve it. It may be simplistic, it may be hard, but you still have to do it to expect change.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cool, cool. Place my wife and I was nearby yesterday had a mass shooter event this morning.

Cool, really super cool country we have.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Zil posted:

Cool, cool. Place my wife and I was nearby yesterday had a mass shooter event this morning.

Cool, really super cool country we have.

oh gods are you in austin

if so that shooting is like 5 minutes from me

sup america hell state buddy :smith:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chokes McGee posted:

oh gods are you in austin

if so that shooting is like 5 minutes from me

sup america hell state buddy :smith:

sup, glad you are doing well and hope everyone in your family is also.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
man this country loving sucks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've been to that apartment complex a hundred times, insane

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this toxic positivity “just make friends!!” bullshit with zero elaboration or context is unhelpful.

e: if people want this thread to just have Instagram physical trainer-level mental health discourse I guess that’s fine but someone should probably rename it. drink more water! go for a walk! pet a dog!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

indigi has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Apr 19, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

indigi posted:

this toxic positivity “just make friends!!” bullshit with zero elaboration or context is unhelpful.
neither are your sarcastic and often flippant responses. like this one:

quote:

e: if people want this thread to just have Instagram physical trainer-level mental health discourse I guess that’s fine but someone should probably rename it. drink more water! go for a walk! pet a dog!

you know that that is not what this thread actually is. if you don't like that someone is mildly more optimistic than you, ignore and move on.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

indigi posted:

Yeah no, we're not doing this. Take a break.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

indigi posted:

stay hydrated bestie 🥺🥺🥺

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
whoops wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Hey sorry that got you probed, not my intent with my responses. And not to beat a dead horse here but I feel I need to clarify:

Having a support group of a few people I can turn to to talk has been a solid foundation for me now that I'm out of therapy. They aren't therapists (well my mom is), but mainly just like two friends that I know I can trust to talk to about anything without them judging or condemning me for what I say. It's something we worked on towards the end of my CBT as I was developing a success plan for leaving therapy.

But in my experience it doesn't even always need to be someone you know. Just being a person who listens to someone else who you may notice is going through a rough time is HUGE for that person and sharing your own similar experience usually allows them to open up more and share deeper which in turn shows how similar we are all. We're all struggling with something but we don't know that if we're shut off from others. Each of us can be someone who helps another soul, and sometimes that's the best way to help yourself. Not always, but it may help.