Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Big transitions mean big sources of anxiety, rational or otherwise. Just know that you're not the first person to ever feel stressed by a big move or a big purchase or both at the same time. Stay safe and take care of yourself as best you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I need to vent. Feel free to skip this garbage.

I've always been an overanxious mess of a person and 2020 was really, really hard on me. Somehow I managed to keep it all together with weed and booze but it's all going to poo poo now. Massive home repair issues. Unpleasant non-psych medication changes. Wife in unending crunch-time at work. A health scare for me, cancer for my elderly cat and my father. This horrible helplessness I feel when I see what's happening elsewhere in the world. A constant drum-beat of stress, but at least I'm dropping pounds like crazy since I'm nauseous all the time. Started psych meds too but they're not helping all that much yet but the side effects sure are fun.

Getting the vaccine actually made things worse; now I can go out and do...what? Can't take the kid, he's not old enough to be vaccinated. All this "cave syndrome" talk is infuriating when nobody ever seems to account for the near-overwhelming responsibility parents can feel to keep their children safe. I know that I personally would be loving destroyed if I took the kid out for an ice cream or some such and he ended up with long covid syndrome for the rest of his life, or worse.

I really thought 2021 would be better.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Aug 21, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Ball Tazeman posted:

My boss put me on leave and have been heavily encouraged to go in to inpatient care. Im considering it but have also reached out to some other community resources for help. Meanwhile, I am either with my partner or at my parents home so that I am safe and not alone at any point during the day.

My anxiety has been through through the roof still though because of our mouse infestation, we are handling it but I am extremely paranoid about getting some sort of disease from them or getting bitten at night. I really dont want to be in this house.

Mice are like little robots that follow walls basically, the odds that they're doing anything else is pretty slim unless you're passed out in a pile of crumbs. They're extremely predictable. Endless rows of peanut butter baited traps along the walls and in attics and by doorways and for good measure by any water supply and they'll be dead in a few weeks max mostly, then you keep the traps set for another month and after that just leave a few in key spots.

This is stressing you out so much you might want to get a professional in to handle it, a good one will be able to do a lot and work to seal up any mouse entrances and use poison with minimal collateral damage. Poison will absolutely work and if it's risk to the neighborhood pets/birds of prey vs your sanity to this extent don't let anyone shame you out of using it.

The disease risk from mice in most of the US is overstated, there's just barely not any hantavirus most places and most house mice don't have it.

How many mouses have you murdered so far? You've got to be making progress.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

We caught three and sealed up the openings from the basement. Yanked out a couple nests in the insulation. Havent seen any since, but have the perpetual heebie jeebies. We also just had a waterproofer come to do an estimate on the leaking basement and its coming out to a nice $15,000. I cried 4 times today!! yay!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I have been holding off on asking, but seeing at what that estimate was, how is legal for the previous owners to sell it with such defects?

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

INAL or in The Business but i'm adjacent to it.

if the pre-purchase home inspection didn't catch it, the seller doesn't have to be held accountable, there are things they have to disclose but that probably varies from state to state.

also, a lot of buyers right now are also waiving home inspections to get an edge on bidding for homes. the market is absolutely loving insane right now.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Welp, I had a psych appointment today and they said since vyvanse and mydayis didn't work I don't have adhd.... so I'm going off adhd meds and just taking abilify lamictal and zoloft now. We'll see how this goes. I also did a sleep study that I haven't heard back about so maybe I have sleep apnea. My mom has it and I've literally been told by multiple partners that I stopped breathing in my sleep. I kept forgetting to mention it to doctors until my last gp appointment lol.
Oh and the morning nausea did go away with zoloft. So apparently I need to be on an antidepressant or I start feeling like puking every morning. I also have to be on abilify or I start picking at my scalp until it bleeds. I actually have gone on it, then off, then back on again and the picking went away on the abilify and came back when I was off it. It's the damndest thing. I have no idea how that works physiologically but I'm just glad I found something that actually stopped it! I couldn't do it with sheer willpower.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

A small update, but Ive been in touch with a local mental health resource and they finally set me up with a case worker for an intake appointment. Its in 10 days. Should I just keep calling the crisis line everyday until I get to that appointment? Currently, Im set up where Im never alone. My partner drops me off at my parents house before work and I go home with him in the afternoon, so Im not going to do anything unsafe, but I feel like a prisoner in my own head all day.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Ball Tazeman posted:

A small update, but Ive been in touch with a local mental health resource and they finally set me up with a case worker for an intake appointment. Its in 10 days. Should I just keep calling the crisis line everyday until I get to that appointment? Currently, Im set up where Im never alone. My partner drops me off at my parents house before work and I go home with him in the afternoon, so Im not going to do anything unsafe, but I feel like a prisoner in my own head all day.

If you feel like you need to utilize the resources available to you, then use them. You should never second guess yourself when asking for help.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Aug 21, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I need about 6-12 cups of coffee every two hours to do anything besides sleep

is this normal

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Vasukhani posted:

I need about 6-12 cups of coffee every two hours to do anything besides sleep

is this normal

How do you have time to pee?? :psyduck:

I keep thinking about how I am at a super high risk of suicide at this point, statistically. Veterinarians have a high risk, people with bipolar have increased risk, people who have someone close to them commit suicide are at increased risk. I wonder what my odds are. I'd probably put it at 50/50 that I die from something else at this point. I guess those aren't great odds but it could be worse. I think about it a lot. It worries me sometimes but all I can do is live each day one at a time. If I think too much about the future or the past I get caught up in worries or sad thoughts. I can live each day. I don't have to do everything perfect. I just have to live.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Ball Tazeman posted:

It sounds like you have a safety plan until then (unless I'm reading something wrong here). If at any point you do feel like you can't contain or control what you're enduring, you could use the crisis line. Knowing your appointment is in ten days is a great thing - and I want to extend major props for taking the initiative to get help.

** P.S.

Steel wool and insulating foam will seriously help plug up any holes around the house. I had to take care of a few when I moved into this home.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Zil posted:

If you feel like you need to utilize the resources available to you, then use them. You should never second guess yourself when asking for help.

good words for always

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Too Many Birds posted:

also, a lot of buyers right now are also waiving home inspections to get an edge on bidding for homes. the market is absolutely loving insane right now.

Housing prices are a huge reason why my life was so miserable until I left my home town. Like look at this poo poo

https://twitter.com/Hutchyman/status/1388017411580858369?s=19

It's hosed up everywhere but nowhere is more disconnected from local wages and the economy than Vancouver, which has the highest prices and some of the lowest wages of any big city on the continent.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
got in a big fight with my right wing catholic family because i told them i'm not straight and resent the way they raised me. now we're all getting family therapy. :smith:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

hello mental health thread. i hope you've all been well since i last posted ITT. i was hoping to pick y'alls brains a bit. i learned my bio dad was not the fella ive called dad all my life. no problem there. my dad is an absolute saint as far as I'm concerned.

turns out my bio dad died in his late 40s and had a couple of kids who survived him per his obituary. one had died via oversose between the biodad obit and me learning i have a different biological father than I thought.

the other kid, my half sister, is both local and fond of her dear departed pa if some minor Facebook lookilooery is to be believed.

the question is, do i let her know she has a surviving half brother? just let her live her life as she's always known it? i sure don't want to throw a wrench into her situation if I can help it. Do I stay quiet or reach out and say hey, I learned this a few years back and how'd you like to get a cup of coffee and learn more about each other?

her dad and brother both died from addiction issues so it isnt like id be enlightening her on family medical stuff she doesn't already know aside from my mental health stuff. just curious what you all think

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Why do you want to reach out? How do you expect you will react to a positive or negative response? Do you have any reason to believe it might affect her negatively? If there's no red flags then I guess it can't hurt to ask, but there's no guarantee you'll be heard out.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

thotsky posted:

Why do you want to reach out? How do you expect you will react to a positive or negative response? Do you have any reason to believe it might affect her negatively? If there's no red flags then I guess it can't hurt to ask, but there's no guarantee you'll be heard out.

I honestly have no idea what to expect, but if i knew i had a sibling out there I'd hope they'd at least say hello, I guess. she lost her dad and brother at a young age, so some random 30-something dude popping up to say "hey, im a suprise sibling!" may impact her negatively. she's in her mid 20s iirc

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Well gently caress.

A friend of mine just confided in me that she is in an abusive marriage. She feels ashamed and hasn't told anyone else. I'm doing my best to reassure her that it's not at all her fault, and she has nothing to be ashamed of. I don't know if there is physical abuse. I want to help, but I also want to respect her boundaries. Does anyone have any ideas/resources? She has an adult son who is out of state, and I suggested that she could try to stay with him. They're very close. She's talked about moving closer to him before.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Aug 21, 2021

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Eat This Glob posted:

hello mental health thread. i hope you've all been well since i last posted ITT. i was hoping to pick y'alls brains a bit. i learned my bio dad was not the fella ive called dad all my life. no problem there. my dad is an absolute saint as far as I'm concerned.

turns out my bio dad died in his late 40s and had a couple of kids who survived him per his obituary. one had died via oversose between the biodad obit and me learning i have a different biological father than I thought.

the other kid, my half sister, is both local and fond of her dear departed pa if some minor Facebook lookilooery is to be believed.

the question is, do i let her know she has a surviving half brother? just let her live her life as she's always known it? i sure don't want to throw a wrench into her situation if I can help it. Do I stay quiet or reach out and say hey, I learned this a few years back and how'd you like to get a cup of coffee and learn more about each other?

her dad and brother both died from addiction issues so it isnt like id be enlightening her on family medical stuff she doesn't already know aside from my mental health stuff. just curious what you all think

I know every single situation can be different, but from my experience - It honestly did quite a bit of good for me.

My father passed away in 2012, and I only discovered who he was via an ancestry.com dna test that was given to me by my cousin for "fun".

If you approach it delicately with transparency, you could gain someone in your life that adds nothing but value to it. If it all goes wrong, you have the option to say "hey, at least I tried"

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Well gently caress.

A friend of mine just confided in me that she is in an abusive marriage. She feels ashamed and hasn't told anyone else. I'm doing my best to reassure her that it's not at all her fault, and she has nothing to be ashamed of. I don't know if there is physical abuse. I want to help, but I also want to respect her boundaries. Does anyone have any ideas/resources? She has an adult son who is out of state, and I suggested that she could try to stay with him. They're very close. She's talked about moving closer to him before.

Some resources :

Domestic Violence hotline : 1-800-799-7233

The Aspire News App - This app actually disguises itself as an everyday app on your phone or tablet's home screen so it's less suspicious to partners to tend to snoop. It also helps you locate the nearest shelter in case you need it.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Josherino posted:

Some resources :

Domestic Violence hotline : 1-800-799-7233

The Aspire News App - This app actually disguises itself as an everyday app on your phone or tablet's home screen so it's less suspicious to partners to tend to snoop. It also helps you locate the nearest shelter in case you need it.

Thank you!

EDIT: You've been doing an awesome job supporting people in this thread!

Uganda Loves Me has issued a correction as of 20:08 on May 13, 2021

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Uganda Loves Me posted:

You've been doing an awesome job supporting people in this thread!

Echoing that Josherino is an awesome supporter and I appreciate them checking in on folks and giving good advice/resources.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Thank you!

EDIT: You've been doing an awesome job supporting people in this thread!

Of course - and I know the original post wasn't directed at me, but on a personal level, I appreciate you being open with your experiences.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Ball Tazeman posted:

Echoing that Josherino is an awesome supporter and I appreciate them checking in on folks and giving good advice/resources.

We're all in this together, friend. I've had my own fair share of really deep valleys, and I always try to extend what I can to those who need it the most like some did for me.

Inbox is always open.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Aug 21, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Anxiety is such a gently caress.

Signed up for a d&d group and now I am freaking out about going. I have never created a character before and have no idea what I am doing. While every other group member was able to just have one ready to go. My brain just does not have the ability to come up with fictional backstories.

It shouldn't be this hard to do such a simple task.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Zil posted:

Signed up for a d&d group and now I am freaking out about going. I have never created a character before and have no idea what I am doing. While every other group member was able to just have one ready to go. My brain just does not have the ability to come up with fictional backstories.

To help with this particular hurdle, a good group should be fine with "yeah this is my character I'll figure it out as I go," especially for D&D. Hope it works out

breadnsucc posted:

i think i did end up with ptsd, gently caress, my therapist said i had the precursor to the ptsd, but either the paranoia is getting worse or like, the cops are really actually stalking me aggressively this time around

if i end up dead comrades i promise you i would never take my own life, and i dont do any drugs you can od on accidentally so avenge me

And more seriously you too; you did good

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Zil posted:

You'll be fine; making a character at the table where you can get some help is a time honored tradition.
Don't sweat the backstory stuff, it's not strictly necessary, and often it's both easier and more fun to go with the flow and let stuff develop during the game.
If you feel strongly about your character needing some motivation of their own and not simply being an avatar for you, the player, then just pick a body part (heart, stomach etc) and have your character follow wherever it leads them. It's maybe a bit reductive, but it helps if you're getting stuck deciding what to do.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

breadnsucc posted:

i think i did end up with ptsd, gently caress, my therapist said i had the precursor to the ptsd, but either the paranoia is getting worse or like, the cops are really actually stalking me aggressively this time around

if i end up dead comrades i promise you i would never take my own life, and i dont do any drugs you can od on accidentally so avenge me

hey ptsd friend, you can message me if you want and I'll reply as fast as I can. I denied I had it for a good 5 years and that was a really hard way to live.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Zil posted:

The people I play with would love to create another D&D nerd like us. It's fun to see someone experience something like that for the first time. They might like that you're a new player.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I'm worried about using the phone to contact my friend who is in the abusive marriage. I don't know when she's alone, and I don't know if he checks her phone. She works at a local mental health non-profit, so I think I will stop by in-person on Monday. Unfortunately, they are shutting the place down soon. I know that's part of why she's feeling so awful recently. We're both on the board of our local NAMI chapter too, so I could use NAMI business as an excuse to contact her. I really want us to both be open and I want to provide resources, but I just don't think it's smart to do that over the phone right now. We have mutual acquaintances/friends who are social workers, and I'm encouraging her to talk to them. I know abusive people isolate others, and that allows the abuse to continue. I think if she is more open about what's happening, that could lessen the husband's control over her. I don't want to pressure her in any way, or break the trust between us though. I know I'm the only one who she trusts with this information so far. I want to text her this weekend, and I want it to seem neutral enough to add plausible deniability if her husband sees it. I don't want to come off as distant or uncaring to her, though. I'm mostly thinking out loud here. I think I have a good idea of the correct course of action.

I started lamictal again. I have bi-polar II, and I've tried a variety of mood stabilizers, but they all seem to have awful side effects. I'm tired and dizzy. I'm hoping my side effects will decrease over time. I'm also hoping I can keep them under control by not going on as high of a dose that I was on before. I took 400mg for a few years, which is a crazy high dose. I like swimming, but the dizziness makes it almost impossible. It's pretty much the only form of exercise that is easily accessible and enjoyable to me. I know there are alternatives, but it's much harder to push myself to do them.

I had a triggering moment yesterday. My brain feels like it's shutting down as I try to write about it, so I'll just leave it there. It's so much easier to focus on other people's issues than my own.

EDIT: I spoke to my friend again via text. She confirmed that there has been physical abuse. I didn't push for more info on that. She felt ashamed, and was worried I would think less of her for knowing what's going on in her life. I told her that I hate pity and I respect her. We're going to talk again tomorrow.

Uganda Loves Me has issued a correction as of 02:38 on May 16, 2021

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

you're a helluva friend, uganda

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Aug 21, 2021

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'm worried about using the phone to contact my friend who is in the abusive marriage. I don't know when she's alone, and I don't know if he checks her phone. She works at a local mental health non-profit, so I think I will stop by in-person on Monday. Unfortunately, they are shutting the place down soon. I know that's part of why she's feeling so awful recently. We're both on the board of our local NAMI chapter too, so I could use NAMI business as an excuse to contact her. I really want us to both be open and I want to provide resources, but I just don't think it's smart to do that over the phone right now. We have mutual acquaintances/friends who are social workers, and I'm encouraging her to talk to them. I know abusive people isolate others, and that allows the abuse to continue. I think if she is more open about what's happening, that could lessen the husband's control over her. I don't want to pressure her in any way, or break the trust between us though. I know I'm the only one who she trusts with this information so far. I want to text her this weekend, and I want it to seem neutral enough to add plausible deniability if her husband sees it. I don't want to come off as distant or uncaring to her, though. I'm mostly thinking out loud here. I think I have a good idea of the correct course of action.

I started lamictal again. I have bi-polar II, and I've tried a variety of mood stabilizers, but they all seem to have awful side effects. I'm tired and dizzy. I'm hoping my side effects will decrease over time. I'm also hoping I can keep them under control by not going on as high of a dose that I was on before. I took 400mg for a few years, which is a crazy high dose. I like swimming, but the dizziness makes it almost impossible. It's pretty much the only form of exercise that is easily accessible and enjoyable to me. I know there are alternatives, but it's much harder to push myself to do them.

I had a triggering moment yesterday. My brain feels like it's shutting down as I try to write about it, so I'll just leave it there. It's so much easier to focus on other people's issues than my own.

EDIT: I spoke to my friend again via text. She confirmed that there has been physical abuse. I didn't push for more info on that. She felt ashamed, and was worried I would think less of her for knowing what's going on in her life. I told her that I hate pity and I respect her. We're going to talk again tomorrow.

Extremely proud of you for really extending that yourself towards your friend in that abusive relationship. I can imagine feeling extremely daunting, but seeing what you were able to provide is awesome.

Regarding the lamictal; You've got this my friend. I personally don't know what it's like, but if you need help pushing through it - my inbox is always open.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

my former employer is disputing my unemployment claim and the Texas workforce commission has agreed with them, and Ive lost my unemployment payments. I thought I had a decent amount of time to find work but thats clearly not the case and I have to pay back the state $800
and pay my mortgage
and so on
and I can manage this month without income by mostly just sitting at home in the dark weeping and applying to jobs

my situation is kind of weird. I got fired from an engineering services company, but Im currently a reserve employee of FEMA so I can throw red blooded Americans into camps but I only work when theres disasters and stuff. its an on-call position I started in February. I have a bit of online training I can do that is billable, but the timeline for getting paid for it is pretty slow. hurricane season starts June 1st so maybe then Ill have an actually pretty well compensated job to throw myself at for a while or maybe not! who knows.

In the meanwhile, my county has a community mental health services provider that (I think) accepts my insurance and they offer employment help. I spoke to someone from their help line and they said they could help with the state unemployment office, or even filing for disability/monetary resources for utilities? I dont know if Id qualify but since my current income is $0 I think its free or otherwise quite cheap for me to try and get a case manager. are there any traps that I should be aware of when dealing with a county mental health thing? as far as I can tell its a government non profit that doesnt really do inpatient stuff so Im in no danger of being institutionalized but I am new to navigating these things

also!
I found 2 temp firms that say theyll try to place you based off your resume and a waste / recycling company with offices and junk all over the place is having a hiring fair next Saturday which I think Ill go to with some resumes so I have an excuse to leave the house.

between temp firms, garbage, hurricanes, the county mental health care people, and applying to jobs on indeed i should be able to make like 2 grand a month, right???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

wolfs posted:

my former employer is disputing my unemployment claim and the Texas workforce commission has agreed with them, and Ive lost my unemployment payments. I thought I had a decent amount of time to find work but thats clearly not the case and I have to pay back the state $800
and pay my mortgage
and so on
and I can manage this month without income by mostly just sitting at home in the dark weeping and applying to jobs

my situation is kind of weird. I got fired from an engineering services company, but Im currently a reserve employee of FEMA so I can throw red blooded Americans into camps but I only work when theres disasters and stuff. its an on-call position I started in February. I have a bit of online training I can do that is billable, but the timeline for getting paid for it is pretty slow. hurricane season starts June 1st so maybe then Ill have an actually pretty well compensated job to throw myself at for a while or maybe not! who knows.

In the meanwhile, my county has a community mental health services provider that (I think) accepts my insurance and they offer employment help. I spoke to someone from their help line and they said they could help with the state unemployment office, or even filing for disability/monetary resources for utilities? I dont know if Id qualify but since my current income is $0 I think its free or otherwise quite cheap for me to try and get a case manager. are there any traps that I should be aware of when dealing with a county mental health thing? as far as I can tell its a government non profit that doesnt really do inpatient stuff so Im in no danger of being institutionalized but I am new to navigating these things

also!
I found 2 temp firms that say theyll try to place you based off your resume and a waste / recycling company with offices and junk all over the place is having a hiring fair next Saturday which I think Ill go to with some resumes so I have an excuse to leave the house.

between temp firms, garbage, hurricanes, the county mental health care people, and applying to jobs on indeed i should be able to make like 2 grand a month, right???????

I just caught this on my way out to work - I just wanted to throw this link out there in case you need some assistance my friend.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903318

Email plinkey and see if there's anything they can help you with if you need a little cash to make it through the end of the week/month.

There's a lot of us who donate to the patreon for circumstances like this.