Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I had my second therapy appointment today. it was good and helpful. I'm going to a new doc in a couple weeks and will hopefully get medicated for my dang anxiety and depression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

does anyone have advice on getting new hobbies? I've basically been drinking myself to death for the last few years and as a result have no friends outside of the bar. I want and need to quit drinking but it's so easy to keep doing it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

what do you like to do? Like, not activity wise necessary, but what brings you joy other than drinking? Do you like puzzles? Working things with your hands? You can start to narrow it down but for most hobbies you'll just have to get out there and keep trying them until one of them sticks.

Personally, I like writing, weaving, coloring, and martial arts. I'm going to try to get into taekwondo, I don't think I can do aikido any more now that they've banished Ikeda-Shihan to the wilds.

Keep in mind that curiosity is an antidote to anxiety. Even trying a hobby and failing still has a notable effect. Just don't get too down on yourself if you don't like the stuff you pick up, keep trying!

thanks for talking to me and asking some good questions. I've really lost "liking" things as I've just stayed drunk all the time. I guess I like to solve problems so puzzles may be something I haven't considered. legos are kinda fun but annoy me a lot during the process.

I've thought about doing some BJJ classes because I've gotten gross and fat and it seems fun and useful. I don't know, I just feel like my personality has been destroyed by myself if that makes any sense

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

in positive news I did my first safe place exercise for EMDR and it was pretty helpful for me! one more week to see a doc and go at this from a medicine standpoint as well

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

hello, I've failed at "moderating" my drinking for the last 2 years because my brain does that too. once I start I pretty much don't stop until I don't feel anything which is not very sustainable

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

it would own if someone wheeled a dolly in and put you in it to get you outside tho

I wish someone would spray me with a hose till I rolled out of bed some days

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

so I went to a new GP or whatever they're called now. I explained the depression and anxiety I've been going through the last 6 months or so and that I've been going to therapy for a month. he told me to diet/exercise/therapy/spiritual poo poo for two weeks then talk about meds.

so my question is: I've been working on bettering myself but I'm hitting a wall. is it ok to ask to be prescribed for meds? my therapist said they're hard to abuse so I shouldn't be labeled a drug seeker. I'm just kinda scared to ask for this type of help

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

twoday posted:

Did you try this stuff? It can help a lot

today is day 0, I'm doing this in good faith. I'm not opposed to it

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I appreciate everyone's input on meds. My fear is that right now I'm going through a really good period and feel pretty "normal". I'll usually go through a period of like for a month or two and then suddenly I'll wake up and feel paralyzed by anxiety and lose my purpose in life. In the past I've used booze to keep those feelings a little less impossible to beat but weird, they get much worse.

Now that I'm cutting out the booze and going through therapy and working on depression/ PTSD/anxiety I'm a bit nervous about what happens when another wave of depression hits. My hope is that meds would help even that out so I don't stop talking to everyone in my life, drinking 12 beers every day and considering "lol trump" as being social.

I don't expect it to be a cure all and I understand why a Dr wouldn't whip out his prescription pad after a 30 minute appointment. I have gotten a gym membership, started to try to eat better, taking vitamins and all that stuff (trying to get this meditation thing going too). These are all good things for everyone and I certainly could be physically healthier in general. I'm just terrified of what happens when the days get really dark and I stop functioning again which is why I think they might be helpful.

Maybe I should have said all that to the doctor, I don't know. Maybe I needed to sleep on it to try and explain my point of view a bit better but I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

my therapist rescheduled on me for later this week because she's sick, that's fair I get it. I've just been having a really rough week and sleeping maybe 4 hours every night for some reason I can't figure out. I've been doing all the stuff my GP told me to do and oddly enough, it's not helping that much. working out makes me feel ok for about 5 minutes till I'm done and then I just need to lay in bed again.

sorry for the steam of consciousness but this sleep deprivation is really loving with me. I've tried some sleep meditation/ mindfulness stuff but it's not working. Can normal people really force out thoughts when meditating?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

whoops my teacher called me to ask why I hadn't logged in to class all week. sorry I've been laying in bed

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I got my all my homework done today :marc:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

went to the doctor and ended up with a zoloft prescription (and a long talk about my cholesterol). I will admit that the two weeks of doing what my doctor told me to do helped. now I'm just extremely down and not wishing I was dead. let's see if I can get to eh, or ok!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

does anyone have advice on telling your family about mental illness? I've been going through therapy and got on Zoloft, working hard to quit drinking. should I tell my mom this stuff or what? I talk to her a few times a week so I think I may be lying by omission but also this is personal stuff. no idea here!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I appreciate the advice everyone. I think I'll just keep it to myself for now. I'm going home in a few months and I guess I'll answer the rude question about daily pills if it comes to it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

my life has been 100% better since I dropped caffeine. I was having huge panic attacks every few hours for no reason.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

would much rather be not depressed and sober than drunk and depressed. 1000%

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

2 months ago I was staring at two finals for school and was way too sad/depressed/anxious to even attempt them. I just closed my laptop and laid down without turning anything in or emailing the professors

today I had two more finals due. I got them both turned in with a ton of spare time and got 298/300 on one already and expect to do pretty well on the other. thank you to whatever deity for therapy and zoloft, what a loving turn around

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

got any sevens posted:

welp day 1 of zoloft gave me the fun side effects, only got 1 hour of sleep and have pooped 6 times today. i hope this gets better soon

yeah I poo poo my brains out for about a week and a half and oscillated between wired and exhausted. I'm just about to hit a month on 50 mg and feel pretty normal now though.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How do people get delivery jobs for companies like FedEx? Urban driving is one of the few things I'm good at and I'm trying to find something better than loving uber. Do you just have to know someone? They never have public openings.

I had an old roommate that basically met a recruiter and got the job that way. I believe he was with fedex and they were almost treated like independent contractors (in the US) if I remember right.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

hoo boy I just had an intense therapy session. it's wild how much stuff you can block out

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I've been going to a group session put on my therapist that focuses on mindfulness. I find the practice of it genuinely useful but there's someone who tries to make it completely about them which is really frustrating. the person basically asks a huge question and how to be a therapist themselves. my therapist has been good at shutting it down but ugh it's annoying.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

thanks for the context on group therapy, gang. this format is really new to me so it's been an adjustment.

I decided to temporarily stop my blood feud with the VA and try to start a claim for PTSD. It's something that I've really tried to ignore or downplay for the last 5 or so years but going through therapy has really shown me how far this has stretched out into my life

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Making a realization like that and acting on it is a huge step. Good job and good luck.

thanks. the last time I tried to get help I was really skirting the issue and said I was having panic attacks and flashbacks.

the guy told me to drink less coffee and to try a sniper training breathing app which I did not use because of my aversion in the first place. it was pretty disappointing but I'm not gonna gently caress around this time.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I know. I was so loving mad

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

the dude was like "I used this app in sniper training and it made ME relax!" The VA is a very cool organization.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

May have talked a Twitter friend out of killing themself. idk, I'm not emotionally or professionally prepared to do this stuff.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

You don't have to be. Think of it like the oxygen masks in a plane. You secure your own before you help others. This is why SA's policy is to direct people to professional resources.

oh I totally get that. I pushed the crises hotlines and mainly said I plan to talk to them tomorrow. but they said they had a plan so I felt I needed to intervene somehow

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

things aren't perfect but what is. therapy has saved my loving life

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

A Russian troll farm posted:

In other news I got a prescription for Zoloft today. Is it any good?

I've been on it for about 3 months. the first couple weeks I was making GBS threads my brain out, feeling extremely wired at night and extremely tired in the morning. after the first month it's settled down for me, I take it at around 6 pm and try and take advantage of the sleepiness that I get.

overall, I feel way less depressed and anxious. it has messed with my libido but that not a big deal at the moment. for me it's a net good but it will work different for different people. but get prepared to poo poo a lot for a bit

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I'm a remote employee and they flew us in for the week. it was really nice to be around real people for work and I think I may try to find a new job

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Thank you. Colorado is beautiful and in retrospect he is a tool.
Also, youre a beautiful human. Thank you for the empathy you have shown people on this board.

Colorado owns and I hope you enjoy your time here. check out garden of the gods if you can!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I've been doing some light job searching and god does it feel bad. I'm a good worker but most of my job experience is kinda specialized so I feel like it's hard to sell. I feel unqualified for everything. does anyone have job website recommendations?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

yeah that's kinda what I figured. I'm about 7 months away from getting my bachelors and hope that opens a lot of stuff up. the pay and work at this job is fine but the management loving sucks. it's getting harder to disconnect the work and personal life.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

my therapist challenged me to hold myself accountable to going out and doing something social which I have been avoiding with excuse after excuse. if I don't go to Sunday MTG at the comic store I said I will donate $1 to noted shitlord cory Gardner. I'd much rather talk to strangers than give him a cent.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

a "small dose" can absolutely help your brain but destroy how your dick works. it's a balance I guess

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I got an beginners crochet kit. still need to buy yarn but I'm hoping I can make a decent beanie hat and scarf by winter time

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

last year I heard fireworks and basically disassociated so hard I was drunk as gently caress before I could really make any conscious choices. here's to coping skills hopefully working this year!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

just found a job listing pop up that was exactly what I was looking for. obviously who knows how it'll go but it gives me a bit of hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I went and played magic at the comic shop and met nice people. social things aren't as scary as I always assume they will be