Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Extremely cool when your boss threatens to fire you because you and your colleagues don’t want to do 10 extra hours of pointless, unpaid work every week

Also after looking at the ADHD thread on e/n I’m going to see a therapist and hopefully a psychiatrist for the first time in six years

I don’t really have a point I’m building to here, I just wanted to complain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any good resources on, like, how to make sure your therapist is actually good and/or right for you or whatever? Since the last time I had any mental health care at all I've gone from living in a fairly large college town to rural North Carolina so I don't really have much of a choice, but I am still nervous about it

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Consummate Professional posted:

why oh why do the brains that fix your brain break your dick?

wait, is that what I've been doing wrong? I haven't been consuming other brains?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
ask me about introducing the term "hypernormalisation" to my therapist and then coming home to feel sorry for myself

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I had mentioned before that I studied political science in college (which is true) and when I went in on Tuesday she asked me if what happened on the 6th had bothered me because I follow politics pretty closely

I said not really because I'm pretty used to the idea of poo poo just constantly being bad in this country and from there just kind of got into what hypernormalisation is

fwiw I have not gotten into the depths of my cspam brainworms other than saying that I'm "pretty left wing"

DoubleDonut has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Jan 16, 2021

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got accepted for a position in Seattle, which is good because I hate my current job and the place I currently live

The problem is I live very very far away (I currently live in western North Carolina) and moving all the way over there is gonna be a huge fuckin pain, especially because I don't even have a full month to do it

And I also get to deal with questions like "what happens if I uproot my entire life to move out there and I get hosed by this job" and "is it worth the money to have my couch shipped over there, considering sleeping on it is one of the only things I've found that helps to deal with my crippling insomnia," which causes some great anxiety which is not something I normally even have a big problem with

It's all very first world problem poo poo but gently caress, trying to improve your life is hard work

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
real cool to get rejected on a rental application because my credit score is slightly too low

good thing I live in the land of the free instead of some horrible country that uses social credit

(i'm not even in debt lol)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
just moved to Seattle after having lived in rural NC almost my whole life. I’ve never felt even close to this overwhelmed and anxious

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
anyone got a basic guide to meditation they can recommend? I may as well try it because it's gonna be a little bit before my new health insurance kicks in and I can find a new therapist

going from an easy on-call night job to a normal job for grown adults is loving hard

DoubleDonut has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Mar 23, 2021

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out.

Christ, though. I've gone straight from "neither one particularly appeals to me" straight back to "actively wanting to die all of the time" again and it sucks. Partly I think I just need to stop working for the court but I'm not sure what else I could do besides get another degree. Getting an accounting degree might be reasonable but I'm scared to even make decisions anymore these days

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I feel like this is a weird question for an adult to ask, but: How do I figure out if my insurance will cover a given therapist? My new job's insurance just kicked in and this is my first time not living in a small town where absolutely everyone nearby is covered by the only health insurance around, and I would prefer not to get owned by insurance network bullshit

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
while looking for a therapist in my area, I've decided that one of the things I hate most in life is looking at lists of professional portraits

or maybe I'm just already stressed out to poo poo and latching on to something vaguely unsettling idk

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Haha, I don't even mean that - just the photos on Psychology Today. Creeps me out for some reason.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a relatively easy, stable job and I can’t fuckin stand it. I don’t know how anyone manages to be professionally bored all day without losing their mind, and just thinking about doing this kind of poo poo forever makes me anxious. what the hell is wrong with me (rhetorical question, i know this is not a thread for medical advice)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

AceOfFlames posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boreout

There's nothing wrong with reacting like this to unstimulating work. I personally was driven to near insanity with a dull job which was even worsened by lockdown. Now I am making a super long shot with another job where I can fail spectacularly. I am riddled with doubt and maybe could have looked a bit better but I know if I stayed where I was I'd go insane.

yeah, I’m also going for a long shot in the hopes of not having to do “normal” work anymore; it just makes me feel uniquely hosed up because I don’t know if there’s anything I could actually do that I could tolerate over the long term. meanwhile there’s people who’ve been in this office for decades and seem satisfied and fulfilled

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I still have not been able to actually find a new therapist because even looking through Psychology Today stresses me out

And I just can't help feeling like I'm *right* to feel miserable all the time

I don't want to feel better about my lovely life, I want to stop having a lovely life

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
thank you for the offer; I don't think I have any questions about how to do it, it's just working up the gumption to actually do it

I don't know if there's a more elegant term than, like, "emotional exhaustion" but that's the main way I feel about it. The last two times I had to get a therapist were when I was in college and I called the on-campus health center and said "I've been having thoughts of suicide and I need help" and they just assigned me whoever was available at the time (which ended up working out for me) and when I was living in my very small hometown again and just got lucky considering how few choices there were, so this is the first time I've had to actually take an active role in this part

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Josherino posted:

Just wanted to ask - how well equipped are you when it comes to coping mechanisms?

I can really empathize and relate to not wanting to endure or just settle with forcing yourself to feel better about having a lovely life.

I’m not even sure what qualifies as a coping mechanism; I’ve never been formally taught any in therapy. Mostly I just try to keep my mind on other things, which can be difficult with how dull my job is, and try to spend my free time doing things that will hopefully allow me to someday stop doing this kind of thing for a living.

My last therapist told me I was practicing “radical acceptance” and I told her I didn’t know that even had a name

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Josherino posted:

Terms like "coping mechanisms" can seem really rigid/black and white when I think about it - is there anything you do or that interests where you notice, "hey, I'm feeling pretty good right now".

I don't tend to notice for myself (at least, while it's happening) but I started streaming stuff recently (because I finally have an internet connection that can support it) and I've been told by friends and family that I sound a lot more animated and happy while doing that compared to usual.

Otherwise I just try to keep myself busy and distract myself, which I've luckily gotten pretty good at as long as I'm not sitting at work with nothing engaging to do.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I didn't actually end up being able to work from home during COVID in any capacity so I'm a little worried I'm gonna come off like a dickhead compared to everyone else having to get used to social situations again

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
does anyone have any advice as far as, like, whenever I'm in therapy I feel fine and have trouble describing how I feel hosed up most of the rest of the time? I try to write stuff down but I'm much more eloquent when I'm hosed up; I can't help but go into Forgettably Polite Office Worker mode whenever I'm at therapy.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Monowhatever posted:

I don't know how people deal with pets dying. Our oldest family dog (12.5) was diagnosed with lung cancer about a week ago. She was given about a month to live. I've been spending as much time as I can down at my mom's to spend time with both her and the dog. She's still eating, drinking, and getting up on her own. She pretty much only moves to go to the bathroom or move to one of her favorite spots.

She's happy, she's just slowing down. I feel like I'm barely holding it together but I also know I'm gonna have to be the one to make the call on putting her to sleep. I will there for her to the very end, but gently caress I'm slingshotting from numb to breaking down hour by hour. Never in front of the old girl though, only smiles for her.

I feel pretty dumb and whiny typing that out but i gotta cry into the void somewhere.

this is part of why I don't own any dogs at the moment despite really liking dogs a lot (the other parts being "I do not have a house with a yard and don't expect to, ever" and "I am liable to do something irresponsible like quit my stable job to try and do something I don't hate for a living instead")

a few years ago my mom's dog vanished in the woods (we think she was probably killed by a coyote) and that was loving awful, and it wasn't even a dog I lived with!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Seatbelts posted:

I'm kind of stuck right now and honestly I would prefer to do something else; sometimes I'm worried I'll be stuck doing this forever but I can't really think of a situation that's better for me or one that would make me happier; short of being able to do whatever I want and not stress about capitalism ever again.
I definitely feel anxious a lot but at this point it feels more like guilt for not wanting to finish highschool or something; like if no one ever came after me I'd probably stop working any never think about it again.

I feel like this quite a bit myself, so I think I understand how you feel.

I don't really have a solution for it, but I've mostly just been trying to find an alternate income instead of the "normal" daily grind; luckily for me I have a pretty cheap lifestyle and have no real desire to be rich, so if I can make enough to live on and not have to spend most of my waking hours doing stuff that I tolerate at best, I'll be fine with that.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I had literally nothing to do at work all day starting from 10 am today so I just sat in an empty room and watched youtube videos on my phone and worried about someone finding out that I wasn't working even though I didn't have any work to do

really questioning why I bothered working hard in high school and going to college and why anyone told me I should do those things

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
i feel like I’ve mostly just used the thread to vent for my own benefit, but thank you

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ronwayne posted:

Your therapist is a loving rear end in a top hat Uganda.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
realized today that I’m kind of hoping my supervisors realize that I don’t bother to seek out things to do and fire me, because it will absolve me of responsibility for quitting this job that I hate even though like most people I still need money to survive

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
if I had a therapist that said the kind of poo poo to me that y’all seem to tolerate I’d probably cuss them out and walk out the door

that’s not meant as advice, I’m just sayin

DoubleDonut has issued a correction as of 23:47 on Sep 16, 2021

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ronwayne posted:

gently caress everyone who encourages self destructive, miserable behavior because if you don't do it "It'll look bad on your resume/bad for your career". Its like the career is the actual person and me, I'm just a vestigial attachment to it like one of those anglerfish.

I think a lot of people encourage kids to do things that will make them unhappy because it will give them a better future, which in my experience never pays off

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm definitely talking about the latter part

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, I need to vent for a bit

So for background since I've been posting in this thread off and on for a while now:

I've worked for the court my whole adult life. For about six years I was living in my hometown in rural NC where I worked as a judicial official. The work itself was boring and lovely but I barely had to do anything; a significant amount of it was spent on-call so I only had to go do anything when I was actually needed, which was usually only a couple hours of work a day and only on days when I was scheduled to work. The pay was also great for the area, mostly because it was so cheap to live there; like I had a two bedroom apartment to myself and had no problem saving money.

The problem was there was literally no dating scene at all, which is unsurprising in a graying rural town in the bible belt, but is also not ideal when you're in your 20s. So a friend of mine who lives here in Seattle recommended a court clerk job posting to me, and I ended up getting hired.

The problem is I really hate the work, mostly because it primarily involves staring at my phone when I can get away with it and waiting for the day to be over so I can go home; there's very little work to do most days and what work I do have is not engaging in the slightest. And I'm not even dating, which was the actual reason I moved in the first place, partly because of COVID, but mostly because of other reasons that are better discussed with a therapist. And along with that, I'm having a much worse reaction to being so far away from everyone I've ever met than I was expecting.

I've thought about seeing if there's an opening at my old job (I'm sure there will be before too long one way or another) and just moving back, but there's a couple problems with that; first is that it would make me feel like a real piece of poo poo for wanting to leave for so long and then going right back, and second is that I started streaming regularly since I moved here, and I really enjoy it. I wouldn't be able to keep doing that in my hometown because the internet there is complete poo poo, and I feel like I've had to give up enough things in my life due to lack of talent, dedication, or opportunity already. I could just move somewhere back east and be closer to my friends and family, but I'd likely still have to be Professionally Bored all day.

None of these are great solutions and part of that is because I've just kind of given up on being actually satisfied with my life at all. I don't even have a lot of the significant familial or health problems a lot of people in here have, but Christ, I just wish I could figure out what to do with my life

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

poll plane variant posted:

The West Coast doesn't "click" for a lot of southerners, you're not the only one. Why not look for a job in a more developed part of NC? There's not really many places in the state where you couldn't have a dating scene and fast internet within an hour of your hometown.

I am actually from one of those places that is that remote

but anyway yeah I've thought about trying to find a decent job in Asheville or something. Within NC would be preferable because if I could get a State-level job I could keep my pay steps and stuff

But really mostly I just wanted to complain about really, really hating working 9 to 5. Still, thanks for the advice, everyone

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You're gonna have to make a pretty convincing case for me to move to fuckin Arizona

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
today in bad ideas, I’m contemplating taking out loans so I can go back to school for a different degree, because my only options with my current career are to do mind numbing entry level bullshit forever or move into middle management, which I wouldn’t want to do even if I wasn’t politically opposed to management existing in the first place

Is there such a thing as career advice that isn’t just, like, rise and grind financial snake oil

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean another good answer is that Mississippi has a much lower percentage of people living in urban centers (causing all kinds of hilarious problems re: districting and gerrymandering, along with people in rural and suburban areas being way more likely to be republican) and a long, long history of voter suppression based primarily on race

But liberals don't have an answer for those problems other than "vote!" which does not work very well when you are not allowed to have a meaningful vote, if you are lucky enough to get one at all

I don't think you went overboard but I'm also a pretty aggressive person re: politics which is why I never discuss it in person anymore

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
both are acceptable imo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
alright, I’ve been going through some poo poo lately so I’m just gonna brain dump because this thread’s been good for that in the past

i used to work as a court official in rural North Carolina, and about two years ago i moved to Seattle for a different (still court-related) position, with the primary reason being that i wanted to live somewhere with an actual dating scene. this hasn’t actually panned out as hoped, but anyway.

It turns out i really, really hate working a “normal” 9-5 job, so I’ve been trying to get back to my old position in nc. that had a very irregular work schedule including a lot of night shift and on call work, but i was pretty well suited for it. The way hiring is done for that position is that the clerk of court nominates people for the position and the chief judge selects from those; I’ve recently learned that if there is an incumbent person in that slot who is not voluntarily leaving, they are included in that selection.

the clerk of court in my home county recently changed and the new one knows me and has worked with me and wants me to replace one of the guys currently there, who is a lazy poo poo - i worked with him and he would regularly take three or more hours to respond while on call, decide to just end his shift early, etc., and this has apparently progressed to things like “won’t bring his paperwork one floor down to the office that needs to file it.”

it seemed like this was going to happen no problem, but i was told yesterday that the judge has likely decided to keep the current guy after talking to him and receiving a bunch of excuses and promises to do better (from a guy who’s acted like this for around a decade). it’s not set in stone, but that’s what it’s looking like. so after two years of being in a position i absolutely hate, i thought i was finally going to be able to leave, only to have that taken away, which has been extremely disheartening. I’m almost definitely the first in line once a position opens up, but that basically depends on when someone else in the position (there’s four in that county) decides to leave.

i could, uh, influence things by calling people from other agencies and “suggesting” that if they submit some complaints against this guy (who they have also had significant problems with) that I would be able to replace him, but that seems pretty drat unethical to me, even if the guy is a shithead.

alright, that’s about all. Not as bad as what a lot of people in here are going through but i feel like I’m gonna lose my mind from this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do you think it's bad if I just genuinely don't actually like talking to other people anymore