Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

SunAndSpring posted:

Still feel really bad about the break-up. Just feel very confused because my ex (that really feels bad to type) says it’s because I didn’t do anything to change my depressive mindset but I just don’t get what to do without a therapist to help, and I was asking him to do more stuff with me and get myself out of my misery cave for a change. It feels really bad, I thought my talk with him was going to correct the course and we would get back on track since I had some rough spots with intimacy but I guess I just kept getting into awful moods for him to care about me anymore in that way. God, I thought I was going to say “I love you” to him soon because I very much enjoyed the time we spent together. I wish I wasn’t such a grim person, I feel like I just constantly ruin things for myself.

That really sucks and I hope there is something to at least take your mind off of things and reset :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Any advice on avoiding falling into a boring routine and getting depressed? I got out of my parent's house and moved into an apartment in a small city for work. Before that, I was commuting back and forth which put some limits on what I could reasonably do. I definitely want to do some volunteer work and get involved in local issues while also doing something hobby related. I tried Meetup which was okay. But it is easy for me to put off going to a meeting or feeling awkward and anxious if I go to a music show by myself.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

redsniper posted:

I used to be this and like to think I'm way better now. Brain medicine and meditation helped some, but really it was just going out over and over got easier the more I did it. Like everything else it gets easier with practice. I made some of my best friends going to the same (anime) meetup consistently. A lot of times early on it was like a chore but I figured it was good for me to do the social. It took about a year or so before I felt like one of the guys, but I'm slow to warm up to people.
There's not really a magic bullet. Just gotta make yourself do stuff and if you find people you can stand, try to see them consistently.
Also no one cares if you're out alone and if they do they're the rear end in a top hat, not you.

I figure the hardest part for me is to get started and getting started now is better than two months down the line. Meditation is something I have been putting off but I have a pretty good setup for it now.

Consummate Professional posted:

I am currently working on digging out of this hole and regrowing my interests outside of getting blackout drunk. it's really tough! for me once I tell someone I'm going to do something or say it out loud I'll do it, but I also have gotten good at putting that off.

something kinda unique my therapist did is basically "bet" me that I would go to something I wanted to and I didn't I would have to donate $1 to a cause I don't agree with. this probably isn't for everyone and basically comes after 5 months of coming up with excuses. like another poster said, practice makes it easier. I was also really fortunate that the thing I went to was very newbie friendly

Is there anything other than shows you're into? you may want to check out your local library district, mine puts on a surprisingly large amount of events that seem cool

It is tough! I like your therapist's idea, it is clever. I've been getting more into board games and now is a good time to find a local group. A city library should also have something interesting.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

thehandtruck posted:

Long helpful post on finding a therapist and determining if they are good for you.

Just want to say thanks for this. It's time I start looking into therapy and work on getting out of being stuck in this weird numb pit.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Had Thanksgiving with just my parents and brother, and all four of us wear masks in public and avoid large gatherings. My brother is putting in his notice for a gig retail job he started a few weeks ago since barely anyone in the store, customer or employee, wears masks or is taking COVID seriously while cases in the area rise. He wears a mask and social distances at home and reads the news on COVID. My parents are doing the 'blah blah no work ethic he lives at home' and not even talking about working retail on Black Friday in a pandemic and even the job market being poo poo before that.

I live by myself and WFH and am thinking of offering him to stay at my place for a weekend if he wants to and is clear of possible infection. It loving sucks because he has a degree to be a computer toucher but the job hunt and now the pandemic have just drained him. Any article I read about how poo poo things are for millennials and zoomers or about Japan's lost generation makes me go "yup that sounds familiar :smith: "

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Mainly venting but does anyone have friends you don't look forward to talking to because you realize they are an adult bully?

A friend is visiting the area and wants to know if I want to meet up. He's always had a libertarian contrarian streak and is now in a white-collar field. My politics changed over the years and I read more, started giving a poo poo, and moved left. Talking to him felt like he was trying to 'own the libs' with Socratic questioning, ambush questions, dismissing concerns with Stoic quotes, or getting angry and saying he doesn't care about the topic he ultimately brought up. Even before that, some of his stories and comments about other friends were off. I've noticed him lying as a joke or playing pranks in that odd 'you're dumb and uncomfortable and I got one over on you' way

I have other conservative, libertarian, and 'moderate' friends who aren't as online that I get along with and they try a good faith effort when we discuss politics. And I've read and listened to some of the usual people they bring up like Jorp, Pinker, Rogan, and Rand. But the last few conversations with him felt like trying to one up each other in either life happenings or politics. I don't know how much of this is my own personality and difficulty maintaining friendships. But this is making me realize that some people you got along with are mean and petty

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Therapist scheduled me for 6:30PM, cancelled it, and moved it to 4pm. Uhh, I end work then but there not really anywhere for me to set up a telehealth here.

I ask her to reschedule, now she's telling me she only does 9-4 Tues through Friday. So I guess if you work, you don't get help. I really don't understand why services like this are always on a tight normal business day when presumably most people would be unable to use it.

Tempted to :sever: and just forget about it. I've never really had an experience with a therapist that made me think the endeavor was worthwhile. I'll see if I can snag a time slot during a less busy time of the day, but I of course can't necessarily anticipate when someone is going to file an URGENT!@ ticket about a label printer that will make me have to cancel.

It really sucks how a lot of therapists are only available during business hours. And even setting up a zoom meeting during the workday is not doable for everyone.

bobtheconqueror posted:

I've rolled over in the barrel and am licking my own sweat off the bottom for sustenance, emotionally. Just really unhappy and feeling like an outsider lately.

Emotional isolation is a fucker. If it helps, I hope things get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Basically half my family. And the other half are oblivious to mental health issues. I have one sister who also had a mental health crisis, the one person who I feel safe talking to.

The half of my family who I feel are bullies, I've written off. I can't do it. It's not worth having them in my life right now because I'm barely able to take care of myself.

Adult bullies exist. They likely have childhood trauma of their own, which doesn't excuse their actions, but I'm coming to believe there are a lot of humans who don't understand how bad they are hosed up and living in the "matrix", a fantasy world built on bullshit.

It always sucks when you realize a good chunk of your family is made up of either cruel or uncaring people :smith: . At least when a friendship turns sour there aren't the inherent issues that come with the person being a family member or co-worker

Venting some more. It's one thing if we had different political views and overall values if there is enough common ground. But when the conversations start to fall into the pattern of catching up and then veiled fishing attempts for them to own the libs or spout some line from whatever shithead Joe Rogan had on, why would I want to talk with you? It's looking more like my friend is trying hard to be a sociopath that I can't even share anything personal for fear of them using it