Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I have suffered from OCD since I was a child that went undiagnosed until my early 20's. I then began to have panic attacks in my late teens. I came from a small, rural community that had no psychiatric outpatient care. My general practitioner inappropriately put me through series of antidepressants that culminated in messing me up pretty bad (active psychosis) for a grip. I was inpatient for five days at one point when I formally got diagnosed.

When I got out on my own and moved to a larger city I sought psychiatric care to further my life's journey of tangible healing. I've done CBT (hugely helpful), mindfulness (also hugely helpful), and my current psychiatrist (apparently a very accomplished psychoanalyst and prolific author) has me monitoring my own dreams to see how my unconscious works. He taught me a technique for pitching problems and scenarios in your daily life to your unconscious to see how it symbolizes and 'speaks,' and I can honestly say it's fascinating. He gave me some stuff to read to explore the field, which included Marx, Gramsci, Freud, Jung which he says formed his ideological formation.

It's been a journey, and for anyone that is struggling: Your pain is real. Your pain is justified. You are more powerful than your pain, and one day you will realize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

There's a lot going on here that would do well to be explored by an honest visit with a psychiatrist, a psychologist, and a social worker.

My general impression is that your sibling would be somewhat reactionary to any sort of even light handed intervention. It also sounds like in interactions in therapy they are more interested in warping the therapist to condone their lifestyle as opposed to allowing the therapist to ameliorate their problematic cognitions so as to allow them to better fit into society. There's a good amount of substance abuse issues that would be better addressed by a psychiatrist and a substance abuse counselor, along with just a general psychiatric work up to get a firm diagnosis. However, it also sounds like your sibling would not be a terribly reliable narrator as to their problems and knows enough of the psychiatric interactions to get whatever diagnosis they want (read: HB getting massive Borderline Personality Disorder vibes).

It sounds like something of a complicated case. Without knowing where the sibling resides and the corresponding statutes, if you honestly believe they pose a threat to themselves I would genuinely recommend seeking an emergency detention. It's not pretty and will likely result in the siblings having a lot of negative feelings towards you, but at the same time it sounds like there is a general misery and at a certain point you have to decide what misery you can live with.

At any rate, best of luck. Family members / friends with treatment resistant psychiatric disorders is a tough one.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Qoey posted:

It made me realize just how close to the breaking point I've been for the last several months, and that this was the tipping-over point. I realized that I had to stop assuming that I could "do this on my own," and that I should try medication for the first time in my life. I have a telehealth appointment set for next week, and I'm hoping that I can try out some kind of anxiety prescription, to see if that can help calm my brain down.

If you're the type that can get a lot of help from books I would highly recommend checking out Jon Kabat-Zinn's 'Full Catastrophe Living' and 'Wherever You Go, There You Are'.

FCL is the foundational work of the mindfulness based stress reduction (MBSR) program that has about a high an efficacy for stress reduction as any medication or therapy, the book itself includes the outline of the program that you can implement in your daily life. WYGTYA is a bunch of different mindfulness exercises that you can just try out on a day-to-day basis.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I received word today that my cousin (who hadn't been heard from since last weekend) was found dead in his apartment in West Virginia today. He had been unemployed for 10 months and had struggled with depression for all of his adult life, recently having gone through rounds of ECT. Apparently the coroners are having difficulty figuring out how long he's been dead, because of his poverty he was keeping his apartment at 54 degrees.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
His funeral will likely be the first time I've seen my dad in five years, and in all likelihood the last time I see him for the remainder of his life. He was an incredibly abusive man to me and my sister.

I don't intend on starting poo poo with him out of respect for my Aunt and surviving cousin, but I'm going to need to have a good final memory of me finally standing up to him and being brutally honest to him if he comes looking for anything resembling reconciliation.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Spoke with my Aunt earlier and apparently my dad is too chickenshit to face me so he won't fly back to attend the funeral.

However, he has something growing in his chest so he likely has one foot in the grave at this point.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I went back in forth in my mind about whether or not this post belongs in the OSHA thread, but considering the mental health impacts I opted for this. I apologize for the length of this but this is a slow burning event of the past six months.

I work in a secure mental health facility with patients and juveniles that have been in the system and have substantial histories of aggression to themselves and to others. I've worked on a juvenile unit for over nine years and in general I very much enjoy working with kids. I work in the capacity as something of a camp counselor from a nursing discipline.

We have a particular kid right now that ranks among the most interpersonally aggressive individuals I've ever met. He's attacked his family. He's attacked teachers, nurses, clinicians, police, everyone. While we've had him he's attacked his peers too many times to count. He's attacked us staff too many times to count. He's been officially charged with battery a few times in the past few months.

My bosses have been playing the part of cowboys and have disregarded basic safety standards with respect to this kid many times. In so doing, they've been violating doctors orders and created the conditions for this kid to be able to attack people. People have been hurt by this one interaction and ended up on light duty, and traumatized.

I've been extremely vocal about how violent this kid is and how their safety practices have led to these opportunities and have more or been laughed off.

My coworkers and I joke about this practice blowing up in their face all the time and one time one of the bosses caught wind that we were having discussions about this and I was given the cold shoulder by them for a few weeks. I heard one of them instruct another to have me on "timeout for a minute." Another supervisor got all our attention one day and gave us a spiel about how if we have suggestions we should just say these things instead of leaving them out of the loop and that we're lucky because they're the ones who are most receptive to suggestions. He later asked me about this particular safety situation and I gave my honest assessment. I said that I believe this kid just wants to hurt people and we need to take every possible precaution (which already exists in our mandated training) and provided a succinct suggestion that would prevent all of these violent incidents.

Last Tuesday all three of my bosses were present with a female nurse and ignored these safety concerns again and the kid attacked. While attacking, he groped the breast of the nurse. My coworkers texted me (I was off) that the kid attacked, so I contacted the nurse to see if she was alright. She said she'd been sexually assaulted and was just burned out. I came extremely close to driving in to yell at all three of my bosses for their careless behavior. The only thing that stopped me was the idea that my doing so would make them oppositional-defiant enough as to continue their ignoring of safety precautions.

When I came back to work I notice them somewhat sulking, but I don't really see them eating crow about this (if it had been my mistake I would never hear the end of it) or apologizing for their behavior. The kid is getting charged with sexual assault. I had a ton of respect for them before, and suddenly I have extremely little patience for any of them. I'm becoming very curt with them. I harbor so much anger towards them that I feel my blood pressure rising as I type this.

TLDR: I'm beginning to not like my job and my bosses because they're gaslighting me for wanting safe working conditions and helped a kid sexually assault one of my coworkers.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

I feel like you've gotta take this over their heads somehow, especially if they're still allowing these lapses in proper safety procedure. it's not fair to you, your coworkers, your patients, or frankly even the kid. first figure out what your options are, then talk to any coworkers you trust not to immediately spread it around to see if they'd be willing to act as witnesses, and go from there.

So far they appear to finally be taking it seriously. For the past week they've been following safety precautions with this kid. I overheard the main one talking to our operations director and basically parroted my talking points that I've been saying for month.

I had a ton of respect for all three of those dudes. The one running the show lost his kid late last year to liver failure brought on by alcoholism. He (more or less) bullies his two compatriots into doing poo poo the way he wants. He's on the verge of retirement and (barring an act of God) I'll slide into his spot when he does.

He's a gym bro and has been taking steroids for awhile and is acting like an alpha male douchebag and governs with alpha maleism and gets super reactionary when people upset the echo chamber. I'm beginning to think he likes creating these situations where the kids can attack because then he can tackle the dogpiss out of them or whatever.

He used to rail against the cowboy mentality and inspired me, and now in his twilight years he became the thing he (rightfully) used to hate.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I got nothing but love for the guy. My workplace isn't the most professional but he's been more of a father to me for the last decade than my actual dad did in 20 years. I have sympathy for the guy losing his kid in such a tragic way. I do.

But in this instance I divorce all of that from his responsibility to make our workplace safe. He's not himself. Besides all of that someone got sexually assaulted and I saw her crying and it hurts.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

had bad anxiety all week about the appointment I had this morning to ask to be prescribed an antidepressant. The call lasted six minutes in total and I will be picking up my meds on the way home from work. really thought it was going to be a whole ordeal. if I knew it was so easy I would’ve asked years ago. gently caress!

The trick is to keep on them and have patience to figure out the best one / combination for you. I went through loads of them over the years. Nowadays there's about as many antidepressants as there are stars in the sky.

Started off with escitalopram, went to citalopram when my insurance no longer covered the former, then to adding duloxetine to the maximum dose (which legit made me like crazy-crazy). Eventually when I finally met with a psychiatrist I was diagnosed with PTSD and OCD and given sertraline and mirtazapine, which have been instrumental in my recovery.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

erosion posted:

On day 5 of cold turkey Cymbalta withdrawal.

You're probably fairly close to being over the hump. If memory serves, for me it was like a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Removed as I think this is a better fit for E/N.

Hilario Baldness has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Jul 5, 2021