Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Robert Plant posted:

So I’m sure it’s a violation to quote my own post from another thread, but I posted this initially in the COVID-19 thread and it now occurs to me that this might be the better place for it

Basically my whole immediate family is firmly right wing and operating under the assumption that the virus is being overblown/fake news, so while I have some sympathy from my sister for the ugliness of the whole thing she’s also still going to all of these parties. I don’t want my relationship with my parents to fall apart even if they are being incredibly ignorant and irresponsible. I’m sure a lot of you fine people have been having similar issues with family during this, any advice on how to talk through this poo poo?

avoid any angle that's political. tell them you're choosing to stay away for their health because you love them and give a poo poo about them. you don't want to be the one to inadvertently give them an illness that could kill them. maybe if they hear that you're not doing this because lolpolitics they'll be slightly more receptive and at least understand your choice, even if it won't change what they do. if they're really bad it might just be best to avoid any discussion about it at all. "I'm going to drop off his gift, hope you have a nice day" and don't even engage otherwise.

sorry you're having to deal with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Consummate Professional posted:

I just got done with my VA appointment. The doctor was fantastic, extremely transparent and made me feel heard. I'm so glad it got contracted out to her and I didn't get sent directly to a VA doctor. Now I wait for the VA to get their end completed which looks like it may be in October.

it feels SO good when you find a doctor you vibe with, congrats!

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Consummate Professional posted:

holy poo poo, my VA claim got approved. I got the rating I was hoping for.

to say this is life changing is an understatement and I don't think I would have made it here without the advice of this thread (and extensive therapy lol).

that's great news! I bet that's a huge ball of anxiety off your shoulders. congratulations

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hi thread. I'm an online activist for covid stuff and political stuff. I've been staring into the void for a bit. Doesn't feel great. Especially since I'm in uh...Month five of this poo poo.

I have some pills that I take as needed, but I bite them in half because I don't really like the feeling of physical exhaustion they put me in, though the mild sleepiness from the half is nice.

I exercise and journal and read and write for fun and I'm usually good about self-care, but today just sort of sucks and not much is working and I'm pretty sure I know why. I'm missing people and largely I don't see any save for my roommates, whom I don't have much in common with so I don't interact much.

I don't think I'm in need of a therapist, at least not yet. Mostly I'd just like to talk to people in a low stress environment and plug into a community that isn't toxic where I can hear someone's voice and respond in kind. Somewhere where I can go talk and be heard where I don't have to think about covid or activism.

I'm a big fan of board games and have a cop of board game simulator. I run and play in tabletop games and I'd be down to run a Shadowrun game or something. I'm interested in online gaming, though not pvp, too much stress. Mostly I'd just like to have a vehicle to chill out with people and I'd like some suggestions if anyone has any.

I think we might have the same as-needed pills lol I have been having trouble sleeping too, so I just take one at every night and it's quite nice to be able to sleep for more than a few hours at a time. (my doc suggested to do that, please do not do something your doc doesn't tell you is ok first)

I don't really have any suggestions for you because I'm kind of in the same boat as far as loneliness. poo poo sucks man. you know where to find me if you ever need something or want to commiserate or whine or vent or talk about anything other than political theory :)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ice Phisherman posted:

Yeah, this is how I feel. Increasingly so as I get older.

I don't need a huge house. I want a small one. Microhome would be cool and is pretty affordable. Easy to heat, easy to cool. Live wherever. Be defined by what I own or consume as little as possible. Live on the cheap in some rural area, but go urban if I want for culture when I need it.

And I'm doing that. Sort of. Life is pretty drat okay right now. I did get roommates and they are at higher risk for covid. That really sucks. But I have people around me that I can sometimes talk to even if none of us have much in common. Micro home is on pause for the moment. I don't want to live alone for the duration of the crisis. And I'm living okay and eating okay and living mostly how I want. So it's all good.

Retirement isn't an age though. It's a financial state and that state can end with poo poo like bad investments. But living small and living within your means can definitely take the stress off your life. Capital wants you to endlessly consume, live beyond your means, wind up in debt to them so that they can collect rent forever off your rear end. gently caress that. Live small, within your means, but don't stress. And I think that a lot of people will be able to do that in the coming months and years as we go more and more remote with our jobs, if we can.

the microhome thing has always been appealing, but I'm entirely too irrationally attached to way too much stuff. just material stuff. thinking about living without so much stuff feels amazing, but then I think about actually getting rid of the stuff, and gently caress that lol

I hope you can live out your teeny microhome dreams soon :)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm in bad shape. Every day is torture to get through. I literally do nothing at my job and feel like a waste of space, and I'm not even sure I can do my job anymore given how jacked up my anxiety is. Anything I try to do hobbywise feels bland and meaningless. It is torture just to get through the day as the minutes crawl by.

I need something, anything, to hang onto here. I don't know where the exit door is except for one way and we're not loving doing that again.

I know it's hard, but look at it this way: each day is another day you get through. that's great! maybe you weren't productive, or maybe you weren't helpful to anyone, maybe you didn't feel happy or do anything interesting, but you loving made it through. and that isn't nothing. that's hard loving work right now.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chokes McGee posted:

Packing my go bag, it's hospital time

Truck's in charge while I'm gone, try not to burn anything down

be well friend

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm too weak. I should've cut them off years ago when they were still relatively healthy, because to do so now when they are in terrible trouble would cause them immense pain. Without my help they could easily become institutionalized or even homeless and although I haven't loved them since I was a child my conscience cannot bear the thought of abandoning them to such a horrible fate. I wouldn't wish that on strangers. My guilt would be unmanageable.

I just spoke with my father (as of this week my mother can no longer speak due to her illness) and he's asking me for medical advice because he insists that doctors don't know anything/don't return calls/say that nothing can be done.

His story kept changing and getting twisted up on itself. I tried to contain my anger. The both of them are so bitter about their lives that they often cut off the people trying to help them, and dealing with a serious and rare disease is hard enough without that. When he told me that one doctor's office said that they would only give my mother an appointment if he promised to behave himself I could only shake my head. He thought it was an outrage. I suspect he was awful to them.

I told him "if you are in a bad situation and have few options you owe it to yourself to explore those options fully, even if it means working much harder than you expected, or is fair. Because if you don't explore those options then it's over and she is going to get even more crippled and die."

This is the proverbial slow motion car crash, and I just want it to come to an end so I can move on to the cleanup phase. I've daydreamed about what will be required. Leaving work, driving to AZ. Finding housing for one or both of them. Liquidating their assets. Cleaning up the financial mess they've created.

goons are super quick to advocate for sever but don't feel bad if you can't do it. it's really not an easy thing at all, whether it would actually be better for your own mental health or not.

have you tried talking to any of their doctors yourself? it might be time you need to start. you might be able to at least get a handle of what's going on and get advice on next steps. if your parents hear that information from you they might be more likely to listen and do what's best for them.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Failson posted:

Can I get a permaban?

My mental health is taking a turn for the worst, and I really don't have the self control to stay away from the doom in the rest of cspam.

Please take care, all.

it is queued. it will need to be approved by an admin so it will take some unknown length of time to go in effect. if you change your mind before then let me know.

take care of yourself, friend

e: jk! permas are not a thing I can do.

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 04:17 on Jul 31, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dixville posted:

Thank you so much, all of that is very helpful to me. The feeling of relief is especially something that I've been feeling guilty about. He was a very disturbed person toward the end and part of me feels relief from that going away. But he had talked about leaving anyway! Part of me just doesn't understand why he would do it. Part of me is angry at him for it. These are all feelings i have to work through.

Sending much love.

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

empty whippet box posted:

my wife's friend and coworker of many years killed himself a couple weeks ago and she has been down and she spent like 5 hours making a cross stitch pattern yesterday and it was really awesome and I posted it somewhere here thinking goons would like it and think it was funny and I know now that was dumb but I was hoping to like, pump her up a little by showing her that people liked something she made and instead the first response called her 'loving basic' and then a bunch of them dogpiled on me for snapping on them and I am now feeling Very Bad and also am probably going to get probated over it because I don't sit on discord with mods all day or whatever and a bunch of people are laughing at me in a mean spirited and unpleasant way and I guess that's probably going to happen here too

i am trying to stop myself from full on splitting on this community again over it because I know that's an over reaction but if it goes the way I am expecting I guess I probably will anyway

oh well, hell people will probably respond in this thread with some mean spirited poo poo too

I wish I didn't give a poo poo what people I don't even know think about anything

you are a cool and good person and I bet your wife is too. I think maybe it's a good idea to take the rest of the night off the forums. not because you were wrong or other people are right or anything else in that situation, but because we can all use a mental health break once in a while. no one hates you or your wife, and if you're taking that much stock in what people on this site are saying then take a little breather.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dixville posted:

Part of me regrets opening myself up to loving someone because it hurts so much to lose them. I know that eventually one day I'll just look back on the good times and it won't be so hard but right now it feels like I brought this pain on myself for loving someone. I wonder how long it will take me to open up to someone again, or if i ever will.

and just wait for that first smug “you know what they say, better to have loved and lost...!” :hmmwrong:

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Xaris posted:

THERE'S PLENTY O FISH IN THE SEA

if someone were stupid enough to say that to me they would get punched and/or kneed in the nuts

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nerve posted:

is it a bad idea to have your PCP and psychiatrist be the same person?

It probably depends on what kind of care you need. PCPs will sometimes prescribe anxiety meds and the like, or refill other psych maintenance prescriptions, I think. But you definitely shouldn't go to a psychiatrist for a sore throat :)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

nerve posted:

it would be totally separate appointments, this Doctor is double boarded.

ooooooh. I think I would like that, personally, assuming I have a good rapport with them

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dolphin posted:

Everything. Everything is up. I feel like I'm on an extreme downward spiral and I don't understand it.

stop pooping in your sink!

but also feel free to PM me if you just want to vent at someone. I'm apparently pretty good at listening (or reading, whatever)

hang in there. poo poo is going to be crazy for a little while around here, so it might be good to schedule time away from the computer/cspam/politics poo poo. that's advice for everyone.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

this is not the thread for slapfights please stop already

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

e: ^^^^ thank you!

don't dig for drama like this here, it's unnecessary

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Dec 7, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

snip

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Sep 29, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

indigi posted:

it’s simplistic and laughable

stop

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

indigi posted:

this toxic positivity “just make friends!!” bullshit with zero elaboration or context is unhelpful.
neither are your sarcastic and often flippant responses. like this one:

quote:

e: if people want this thread to just have Instagram physical trainer-level mental health discourse I guess that’s fine but someone should probably rename it. drink more water! go for a walk! pet a dog!

you know that that is not what this thread actually is. if you don't like that someone is mildly more optimistic than you, ignore and move on.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

no one has to be objectively good at their creative outlets. but if anyone is thinking about getting into drawing (or painting), then I'd suggest picking up a copy of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. it's a well known drawing instruction book that will help you improve almost immediately, which I find helps boost confidence even if you're just doing abstracts or only doing art for yourself. it's also nice to have a bit of a structured approach when learning to draw, as opposed to just muddling your way through, I've found

you should be able to find used copies for cheap at most good used book stores as it's pretty ubiquitous.

e: also I find photography a fun creative outlet too. if you have a smartphone, you can Do Photography, so in that regard it's cheap

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Sep 14, 2021

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

skooma512 posted:

There's people in my apartment working on outlets now and I loving hate it. I didn't get any notice, just the super calling 15 minutes before they start when I'm already at work and can't do anything about it or drop back. I left my brain pills and bong out and I hope nobody helps themselves to anything, and I really just don't like the idea of people up in my place and my business in general. I don't want your help, I don't want you here, I don't care what the loving building inspector said. I had a feeling this was going to happen, but because I relaxed I didn't take steps to hide that stuff yesterday because I thought they were done already. I feel like I can't ever relax because I have to consider every possible angle I can be hit at all times, nothing feels safe, everything feels like it could just be taken away tomorrow and I have no recourse. A thread will get pulled and it will all unravel. I can barely even pivot away from working to handle whatever random demands come up so I'm just stuck here waiting for the hit to come. Like, imagine if this start the chain that leads to me getting evicted or something.

I feel this. I don't have anything potentially incriminating out (usually) but I still absolutely despise the idea that anyone my rear end in a top hat property manager decides can come in my apartment any time. yes, I know the laws about notice etc, but we all know they don't care. I've had bad experiences with landlords in the past with harassment and giving me 14-day notices because of poo poo that absolutely wasn't true, and it's given me tons of anxiety about renting and landlords ever since.

did everything turn out ok this time?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Goobish posted:

One of my favorite people died and I have guilt about not having contacted them beforehand. I know thats not really logical, how could I of known, but it's like somehow I should have known. I'm still in shock so haven't even been able to cry yet. They were in their 70s and non-binary, and kind of took me on as one of their own kids (I'm trans also). We just got each other on a level I don't feel with anyone else. I regret not being able to say goodbye. Not sure if I'll be able to get that nagging guilt to go away ever. Life just got "busy" so I was "too tired" to talk on the phone when they last called :(

grief isn't logical. you may feel guilty about it forever, or maybe not. chances are if it sticks with you, it'll just recede into the background and won't be so painful as time goes on.

you can still say goodbye in your own way, and I hope you do.

very sorry for your loss

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

thehandtruck posted:

people unconsciously enact their unprocessed/unhealed traumas out in the relationship.

ahhhhhHHHHH :tviv:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

AceOfFlames posted:

i get what you're saying but I hear other people talk about therapy teaching them coping strategies, or tools to make themselves do things. My therapists inevitably devolve into just listening to me talk. A lot of the times it's like they are waiting for ME to say what I want from them. Aren't they the doctors?

what have your therapists/doctors said when you've asked about things like coping strategies or tools that they can help with?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MLK Ultra posted:

I'm venting my dad dad stuff here. I'm glad I edited that previous post because it was... /way/ descriptive.

how your mom is handling it sounds (mostly) normal, honestly. in fact, a lot of that is super relatable as someone who's lost a partner. took me weeks to throw out something he last ate in the fridge, for instance. but that's ok, and it's totally ok for your mom to think of those things, or think things are "signs" or what have you, within reason (the guilt stuff is another thing, but that can be worked on in time). same goes for you, too. she'll grieve differently than you and at her own pace.

you're clearly doing a good job taking care of her, and I'm sorry that your needs are being neglected. I'd suggest doing more self care and taking stock of your own grieving right now. your mom will survive even if she's only eating a piece of ham and bread in a day. most people don't eat much, or stop eating completely, for a while. she'll probably lose a bunch of weight, which is also typical.

and it sounds like your relatives are very annoying and I'm sorry you have to run interference. consider that sometimes people prefer to stay busy after a trauma like this. that might be the impetus for your mom wanting that tree to come down, or whatever other thing around the house.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I bet your mom is really grateful you're here for her.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

there's been an open discussion between the iks of this thread and the mods about whether this thread should continue to be stickied. we certainly welcome anyone's feedback on that front here or in the feedback thread, of course. that decision isn't going to be up to just Al, though lol

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Jun 28, 2023

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I personally would vote to disappear this thread, start a new one, and keep it stickied. I care more about making sure people who might need this thread see it than keeping prying eyes off it since that hasn't been a big problem.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Spaced God posted:

Lol yesterday marked ten years since I last self harmed and tried to kill myself and I spent it with my girlfriend being very happy and I didn't even realize the date until this morning. I think I've come a long way since then. Don't even really get worked up thinking about it.

Friday however is ten years since my dad died so that's gonna be a fun hill to get over. Already not looking forward to that

just personal experience, but I've found that the anticipation of those big dreaded milestone dates to be worse than the actual date. once it's actually here, it feels like a relief to get it over.

glad you're doing well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jorge Bell posted:

This poo poo (being alive) is tough!!!

:hmmyes: