Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

doverhog posted:

When you do comedy, you should aim to be making fun of yourself, before god. That's the basis of my posting.

PS. god does not exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
timing

jimmyjams posted:

what is comedy

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE

Fruity20 posted:

i've been here for quite awhile now and....I can't seem to engage with the topics on here. When I add a post, it doesn't seem to be funny. heck, I don't even know half of the Similes here. For any of you goons out there, how do you do comedy? does it just happen or is there a science behind it?

Lurk longer

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
OP, write a drat sketch and test out what you’ve learned.

tensac
Jun 9, 2011

is it anything?
Flail your arms around maniacally whilst bumping into things and make sure you smash as much glass as possible, slip and fall and poo poo yourself then slip in your poo poo. Make sure you get as much poo poo on yourself as possible. Smear poo poo all over everything as you topple furniture and set fire to your shoes. Grab a cat and poo poo on it. Try to get some poo poo into it's mouth. Fumble with a turd but keep dropping it and as you bend to pick it back up fall and rinse and repeat. This is called Slapstick. Good luck in your endevour.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

protomexican posted:

According to YouTube comments, start by not being a woman.

i'm a girl....so that means i'm unfunny? :thunk:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Good comedy just hits you right in the face

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

tensac posted:

Flail your arms around maniacally whilst bumping into things and make sure you smash as much glass as possible, slip and fall and poo poo yourself then slip in your poo poo. Make sure you get as much poo poo on yourself as possible. Smear poo poo all over everything as you topple furniture and set fire to your shoes. Grab a cat and poo poo on it. Try to get some poo poo into it's mouth. Fumble with a turd but keep dropping it and as you bend to pick it back up fall and rinse and repeat. This is called Slapstick. Good luck in your endevour.

The Aristocrats!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
its easy op you just combine a cuss word with a random noun like "gently caress knob"

see now thats funny

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

its easy op you just combine a cuss word with a random noun like "gently caress knob"

see now thats funny

this but unironically

dick manger

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If you belong to any minority you're allowed to mock that minority. I have a slight limp so I do a routine about disabled people. I do the "DUURRR DURRR" voice and people howl with laughter and give me huge bags of money.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

vyst posted:

Good comedy just hits you right in the face

as a bong-hit transplant recipient i find this characterization demeaning and unfair

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
the funniest thing I ever did was trick my closest male friends into looking at my dick through a high powered snipers optic

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

BloodRed posted:

the funniest thing I ever did was trick my closest male friends into looking at my dick through a high powered snipers optic

lol if you have to trick your male friends into looking at your dick.

me and my friends are constantly showing our dicks to each other and trading hot dick tips and secrets.

tensac
Jun 9, 2011

is it anything?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

The Aristocrats!

Mr. Plinkett. Aristocrats is more of a ribaldry.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The last thing you see before you die. Ytmnd.com bro. Epic

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

gleebster posted:

Words with a K in them are funny. Try posting nothing but the word Kikkoman until you get the hang of it.

bukkake

hey it works!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I landed a book deal, late last year, where I take simple jokewriting formulas and show teachers how to use them to increase student learning retention.

There are simple formulas (which goons use instinctively) to create a joke. For instance, this:

jimmyjams posted:

What is comedy

Is a great example of a 180. Dilkington gives some solid advice, timing is the key to comedy. Then goes the completely opposite direction by messing up their own timing. These things are innate to a lot of GBS goons but other people haven't learned it.

It works: I've built a career on writing comedy, even though I'm really not that funny (see my post history). But formulae like these have helped me build a comedy writing career. There is science to comedy

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
post a baffling carlton

https://i.imgur.com/zOblm1r.mp4

seriously what the hell carlton

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

dsf posted:

lol if you have to trick your male friends into looking at your dick.

me and my friends are constantly showing our dicks to each other and trading hot dick tips and secrets.

Haha same

Just a lot of sucking dicks, as a prank

Waking up and there’s Bob, sucking my dick and I’m all like awww duuuuude you got me lol

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Subvert people's expectations. They expect one thing, you give them something else and then they laugh because the absurd is funny.

See: all of my posts on this, a comedy website.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Subvert people's expectations. They expect one thing, you give them something else and then they laugh because the absurd is funny.

what is a comedy website

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

jimmyjams posted:

what is a comedy website

An online web zone that is run so badly, it becomes hilarious

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jimmyjams posted:

what is a comedy website

it's like a hip hop operating system

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

This and timing are two of the biggest keys to being funny in person. But you can't just be lolrandom, you have to have some wit and creativity too. I suck at being funny on the forums but I'm moderately funny IRL and I think I owe much of that to growing up with classic Simpsons and MST3K.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its timing, knowing your audience, and the ability to pivot

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

And when all else fails, OP, just post a funny picture.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

BloodRed posted:

Must have been difficult for him to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nut to Butt posted:

it's like a hip hop operating system

flip flop to the flippity floppy drives