Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess the line for me is if you are able to create an audience (and therefore generate income) around you doing it, then its a professional activity. if theres no way to make it profitable then yeah its just self justification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

marijuanamancer posted:

i guess the line for me is if you are able to create an audience (and therefore generate income) around you doing it, then its a professional activity. if theres no way to make it profitable then yeah its just self justification

doing a recreational activity professionally doesn't make it a "sport". otherwise cam girls would be sex sportmen

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

marijuanamancer posted:

nobody says that they aren't professional at whatever they do, they make a living, but its still a video game and not a sport, which are two different things in a lot of fundamental and important ways

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Rutibex posted:

doing a recreational activity professionally doesn't make it a "sport". otherwise cam girls would be sex sportmen

They just need to be sponsored by a real corporation and have some kind of stats involved, and there you have the most progressive sport.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Competitive camgirling should be a sport.

Performance is, obviously, judged by views, likes, and wishlist donation numbers.

Do you go for mass appeal, or take a chance and do something niche to try and rope in a few weirdos with very specific tastes who'll spend thousands?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
imagine living in a world where you can know, with completely certainty, just how many people are staring at your tits

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

OMFG FURRY posted:

imagine living in a world where you can know, with completely certainty, just how many people are staring at your tits

Gotta subtract the guys only there hoping you'll show feet.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There's a lovely netflix movie where these cam girls have rankings and get all jealous of each other and what not.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

vyst posted:

There's a lovely netflix movie where these cam girls have rankings and get all jealous of each other and what not.

Do they have cam-fights? Does the winner get the loser's followers and powers through lightning that shoots out of her webcam?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're called e-sports, not sports, so I think you guys are having a crisis of definition over nothing

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the definition of what an e-sport is is still pretty young and not confined to what's been established by physical sports

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

video games already had a perfectly good name though, it was video games. whats wrong with being a professional gamer? Why do you have to be cyber athlete? "E sports" as a term was obviously just invented by some marketing company anyway so they could like, sell call of duty.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

counter-strike rules that alll ive got to say but im not about to watch some other nerds play it whilst i could be playing it myself

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lambert posted:

Same, but sports fans.

I would trust the average sports fan not to be a dumbass far more often than anyone calling themselves a Gamer having listened to both groups go on.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

LethalGeek posted:

I would trust the average sports fan not to be a dumbass far more often than anyone calling themselves a Gamer having listened to both groups go on.

:same:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

i dunno, the whole idea of being like "video games are sports and also are just as legit as chess" just seems like some strange self justification, like trying to convince the world all of those hours in skyrim were actually spent doing something that should be recognised by society in the same way athletes and chess grandmasters are

Why are chess grand masters fine but not champions of video games that have way, way more players than chess and are way more difficult?

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

empty whippet box posted:

Why are chess grand masters fine but not champions of video games that have way, way more players than chess and are way more difficult?

Source?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I was listening to an interview with a baseball agent who has said some of the problems in baseball that are likely to lead to a work stoppage make him want to get out.

The host asked where he'd go and he said he's trying to get into e-sports, because it's such an area to pioneer in and there's no players' union. That's when it hit my why all of this money is being poured into it.

It's not unlike youth sports where the talent kind of trains and ranks itself, but the barriers to recruiting them to a team are so much lower, and you don't owe them anything.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If your really good at Battle Chess does that make you a grand master, or an e-athlete? both?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

what? i just don't want chess players to call themselves "athletes," which they do not.

Also chess is harder than video games, obviously.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Pinecone Sample posted:

I was listening to an interview with a baseball agent who has said some of the problems in baseball that are likely to lead to a work stoppage make him want to get out.

The host asked where he'd go and he said he's trying to get into e-sports, because it's such an area to pioneer in and there's no players' union. That's when it hit my why all of this money is being poured into it.

It's not unlike youth sports where the talent kind of trains and ranks itself, but the barriers to recruiting them to a team are so much lower, and you don't owe them anything.

"These athletes are way too empowered, time to take advantage of some loving nerds"

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Lol imagine getting so upset about the sanctity of the word "sport" itt.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

imagine trying to call games "sports" because you're somehow embarrassed that you play video games, even though you love them

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Lol imagine getting so upset about the sanctity of the word "sport" itt.

what video game do you try to play professionally?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

is shuffleboard a sport

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes

numberoneposter posted:

is shuffleboard a sport

no, but valve's shuffleboard simulator is

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Lol it's okay, better luck next time, sport. When is your bitch of a mother coming to pick you up this weekend, sport?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

is waterboarding a sport???

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

people were playing fighting games 'professionally' for years and none of them called it a sport because they knew it was video games which are a different thing, the term "esport" was invented to market a competitive counterstrike league

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

you cant deny the logo is sweet tho

i dont follow any of that poo poo though, csgo is like the only game i play so im just aware of it through osmosis

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
They should be called iSports

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

people were playing fighting games 'professionally' for years and none of them called it a sport because they knew it was video games which are a different thing, the term "esport" was invented to market a competitive counterstrike league

Wrong, LoL and DOTA2 are way bigger than counterstrike even though the old CAL leagues outdate both.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

down n out posted:

Wrong, LoL and DOTA2 are way bigger than counterstrike even though the old CAL leagues outdate both.

oh well, either way, its dumb marketing with the attempt to make video games seem more like sports so that advertisers take them more seriously

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I agree, bringing giant sponsors and investment groups into video games is poison for what amounts to a competitive weekend among enthusiasts.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This discussion has just further convinced me that these terms are all merely marketing buzzwords that are slapped on to different games to appeal to a specific demographic or sponsor. A game's a game. Let's just all get out there and have fun, do our best, and slap some rear end

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Will the headsets also cause brain damage?

Considering the behavior of most esports players off-stream is what it is, I’d say that’s basically a given

I mean just look at ls coach

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
How about that Toronto Defiant tonight, huh? And the fuckin' Dragons breaking their losing streak?! Wow! Shame they couldn't sweep, though. Boston really held tight on that last defense.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
But really folks, let's get somebody to take the Gladiators out back and turn the hose on. Surefour looks like he is developing a crust. Also can we talk about how handsome Paris eternal tank Benbest is?

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf
Mar 2, 2016

numberoneposter posted:

you cant deny the logo is sweet tho

i dont follow any of that poo poo though, csgo is like the only game i play so im just aware of it through osmosis

I remember call of duty overtaking cs like 16 years ago. Is the counterstrike community really that resilient after all these years. Keep in mind I know nothing of online gaming tournaments. But I remember being 14 and a few dudes liked cs and then being 18 and everyone loved cod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Counterstrike is actually watchable. Call of Duty is a fuckfest.