Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Becky/Ronda off?
This poll is closed.
Yes, Vince said so, so that's that. 20 10.42%
No, this is an angle you idiots. You morons. You loving imbeciles. 54 28.13%
Yeah but it's a really badly handled angle they're overthinking a simple idea. 45 23.44%
Goddammit don't prejudge it, this is probably gonna work out fine. 11 5.73%
Why'd they just have Becky apologize after all that buildup though? 62 32.29%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dias posted:

THis...isn't so much.

It's exactly in character for Steph. Becky 'beat up' trips the other night, IIRC, so scheduling that match then inserting Charlotte or having Trips interfere for the win is almost perfectly on-note for this feud.

You just have Steph win outright instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Steve “But I Said I Was Sorry” Austin

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I 100% believe HHH briefly but genuinely considered campaigning to put himself in the becky/rousey match

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is a dumb, circuitous way to go about getting to the triple threat, but it's still gonna get to the triple threat and Becky's gonna go over and the reaction is gonna be the same. But there were much simpler ways to go to that point that don't involve eight weeks of McMahon dicksucking. The result is the same but it's filling up the next two months with useless TV instead of decent TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-YfuVQmX8

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The match at Mania is still going to be loving amazing, Becky is still going to be ridiculously over, all the promos that involve McMahons will be bad. World keeps turning.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Liquid Communism posted:

It's exactly in character for Steph. Becky 'beat up' trips the other night, IIRC, so scheduling that match then inserting Charlotte or having Trips interfere for the win is almost perfectly on-note for this feud.

You just have Steph win outright instead.

So they just literally kill a character, at least until after WM if I assume they'd do this to set up a title chase, that they have been actively pushing, that they have to have come out on house shows even with the kayfabe injury because people wanna see her THAT much?

Look, WWE sucks at booking but that doesn't make sense kayfabe-wise if you assume the apology was a sham and they just don't wanna give her a shot, it doesn't make sense from a booking perspective considering, again, she's being actively pushed, AND it doesn't make sense from a dirtsheets perspective either, seeing all the rumors have been Becky/Ronda for quite a while. You'd have to assume plans changed brutally just because...I guess Steph willed it so? Nah. WWE is dumb and bad, but they've got limits to their dumbbadness.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cabbit posted:

The match at Mania is still going to be loving amazing, Becky is still going to be ridiculously over, all the promos that involve McMahons will be bad. World keeps turning.

It’s probably going to be ok

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, a Becky vs Stephanie match seems obvious, no? Like, I don't know when and I'm not sure who wins but that seems super, duper obvious as soon as people were all "Becky is the new Stone Cold" and "Stephanie is confronting Becky." Duh. A McMahon can't resist that.

I don't know if Steph wins but that poo poo's 50/50 at best with a McMahon. I mean, Shane just won some "Best in the World" trophy. They wouldn't hesitate to put themselves over anyone.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

becky/rousey/charlotte will be good and rightfully should be the main event of like any other show

but there's something about a pure 1 v 1 match, and Rousey/Becky just had the right feel to be a real legendary thing. Charlotte's addition, I dunno, seems to water it down(and I don't mean to say Charlotte is bad, she's been great lately)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For as much as fans are getting mad of WWE rehashing a McMahon authority angle y'all are all desperate to rehash Stone Cold. Becky Lynch isn't Steve Austin, she's Becky Lynch. A much better comparison is the Daniel Bryan WM30 angle and it's going to end the same way but she needs to be unfairly screwed over first.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dias posted:

So they just literally kill a character, at least until after WM if I assume they'd do this to set up a title chase, that they have been actively pushing, that they have to have come out on house shows even with the kayfabe injury because people wanna see her THAT much?

Look, WWE sucks at booking but that doesn't make sense kayfabe-wise if you assume the apology was a sham and they just don't wanna give her a shot, it doesn't make sense from a booking perspective considering, again, she's being actively pushed, AND it doesn't make sense from a dirtsheets perspective either, seeing all the rumors have been Becky/Ronda for quite a while. You'd have to assume plans changed brutally just because...I guess Steph willed it so? Nah. WWE is dumb and bad, but they've got limits to their dumbbadness.

It gets Steph over.

That's what the womens' division is for. Sell that brand.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

To be clear, I 100% think Becky goes over at Wrestlemania and this all eventually is worth it, but let's be real about something:

Dias posted:

WWE is dumb and bad, but they've got limits to their dumbbadness.

At the height of their respective moments of popularity and momentum, they:
  • Made CM Punk the third wheel in a feud with Triple H and Kevin Nash where he lost repeatedly
  • Made Daniel Bryan second fiddle to Bray Wyatt with the ultimate goal of having him rematch Sheamus in the Wrestlemania midcard so the spotlight could go to Randy Orton and Batista
  • Made Bayley a weirdo geek who couldn't talk to boys and was too nervous to win matches
  • Made DDP a sexual predator/stalker who constantly got his rear end kicked
"The WWE can't be that dumb" gets said a lot in response to people being negative, but they have demonstrably been that dumb on numerous occasions. It does not mean they will be that dumb this time, but they are absolutely, one hundred percent capable of being that dumb.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Even if you want to go with 'the modern WWE can't be that dumb', just look at Ambrose. Or Nakamura. Or Rusev.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
It's good to see the belittling of Becky at the hands of the mcmahons took a week to do

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Bayley's the worst of those, since that's the one where people actually gave up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't care what the topic is. "The WWE can't be that dumb" isn't a serious statement.

Like I was gonna say "we're talking about the lady who compared 9/11 to her father's steroid trials" but the reality is if we start down that road we'll be here forever.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Rarity posted:

For as much as fans are getting mad of WWE rehashing a McMahon authority angle y'all are all desperate to rehash Stone Cold. Becky Lynch isn't Steve Austin, she's Becky Lynch. A much better comparison is the Daniel Bryan WM30 angle and it's going to end the same way but she needs to be unfairly screwed over first.

At least the rehash of Stone Cold would be a 21 year old callback rather than a 5 year old one

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I watched raw and I don't know what the problem is people are having.

Becky got her thing, then it was taken away from her at the last second. She's gonna kick scream claw and attack everyone until she gets it back and everyone will cheer, and then cheer even louder when she gets put back in the main event.

Then she wins at wrestlemania and people cheer even louder yet.

Also the elias stuff was really funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Evil Canadian posted:

I watched raw and I don't know what the problem is people are having.

People are tired of McMahon heel authority figure storylines and have been for years/decades. And in this case its directly infecting something they were already into.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DarkstarIV posted:

Worth noting that Sean Ross Sapp explained why Charlotte was added to the match as well (in his RAW review). He doesn't agree with the decision, but sees why as well. Put in spoiler tags just as a precaution.

Right now its penciled in to be the first ever women's main event for Wrestlemania. However, he's heard earlier this week that Ronda is definitely leaving very soon after Wrestlemania (apparently the day after), and won't be back until Survivor Series at the earliest. And WWE apparently doesn't want half of their first ever women's WM main event to vanish for that long. Hence why Charlotte was added.

I too remember when Austin and HBK's rises were ruined because the other guy in their crowning match disappeared, leaving them to shine alone at the top of the mountain for multiple months.

Conversely, I also remember how when Batista was crowned Top Guy he did nothing but benefit from having his feud with Triple H continue for multiple months after his big Mania Main Event victory

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Draxion posted:

Bayley's the worst of those, since that's the one where people actually gave up.

I mean, the only reason not everyone has given up on Zayn or Owens is that they've been gone for six months.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Sanguinia posted:

I too remember when Austin and HBK's rises were ruined because the other guy in their crowning match disappeared, leaving them to shine alone at the top of the mountain for multiple months.

Yeah, imagine how over he would’ve been if they had a 5 match series trading wins back & forth instead of one decisive match! They really dropped the ball with that one!

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

i don't like EC3 much but him losing struck me as dumb

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Best part of Raw was Becky being as thirsty for Finn's abs as the rest of us :allears:

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean, the only reason not everyone has given up on Zayn or Owens is that they've been gone for six months.

Oh, yeah, I definitely think Sami's been wasted more than practically anyone else relative to what he can do, I was just thinking about the ones that got posted. Owens has at least been a champion six times on the main roster.

Edit: real cool to see the segment they ran after the show went off air was "riott squad comes out and attacks Becky and Ronda, are swiftly beaten up." Great way to make your next challenger look like a threat.

edit again I don't think I can bring myself to care about any of these people any more, the build to this match has been exhaustingly tedious

Draxion fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 12, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Draxion posted:

Edit: real cool to see the segment they ran after the show went off air was "riott squad comes out and attacks Becky and Ronda, are swiftly beaten up." Great way to make your next challenger look like a threat.

It was a dark segment to send the fans home happy, nobody cares

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Oh my god someone got beat up in the dark match, BURIAL.

Can't wait to hear next about house show burials.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

GrimGypsy posted:

i don't like EC3 much but him losing struck me as dumb

Yeah, it's been overshadowed by the Becky stuff but this episode really drove home that thus far, this round of NXT callups isn't really doing great:
  • EC3: Despite being a good, funny talker is portrayed as a mute and spent weeks doing nothing, then immediately 50-50ed with Ambrose
  • Heavy Machinery: Really weird debut stalking Alexa, randomly thrown into #1 contendership matches on both shows despite being on neither show; most successful by far which is tragic
  • Lacey Evans: Jobbed in dark matches, made one interview appearance on Raw, put in an impossible position in the Royal Rumble and got embarrassed, now losing on Main Event
  • Nikki Cross: Showed up in November, went back to NXT for months, re-debuted in a random six-woman tag, has since done nothing but giggle and lose a lot
  • Lars Sullivan: Went home to get mad about rap music or something
Lars obviously isn't their fault, but they announced these callups two months ago and thus far no one has a character, storyline, push or even particularly fleshed out personality. The currently most-featured player isn't allowed to talk despite that being about 75% of his appeal.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
So the revival strapped up. They agreed to a contract ext. or this is Vince pulling out all the stops to keep them...?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Their contract isn't up until next year iirc

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The revival signed five year extensions based on a non-written promise To build up the tag scene and a pay bump. most likely, tag team wrestling will become very important again in WWE.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

Best part of Raw was Becky being as thirsty for Finn's abs as the rest of us :allears:

Back when they still thought she was going to be a heel, there was this great moment on Smackdown where she bumps into Rusev backstage, cracks a joke at his (or Lana's) expense... then pauses for a moment and eyes him up and down like,"Yeah I'd have a bit of that :heysexy:" before moving on :allears:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Becky apologizing is actually a social commentary about how women in our society often feel the need to and are forced to apologize for things, even when they're not at fault. Just this weekend, Representative Ilhan Omar was forced to apologize profusely after tweeting a poorly-thought-out, but likely innocent criticism of how lobbying groups like AIPAC negatively influence our politics. Meanwhile, many of the men attacking her have said and done much more anti-Semitic things right out in the open. When viewing the Becky/McMahons feud as a companion piece to the original Austin story that it is borrowing from, it shines a light on how men get what they want in our society by acting in utter confidence, often to the point of assholishness. It's really quite brilliant when you get down to it. We should give them a chance to tell an interesting and culturally relevant story.

jk WWE can't write with that level of nuance and it's probably going to be dumb as gently caress

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
My sources are saying that WWE will recreate the limo explosion angle by having Becky carbomb each separate McMahon like the end of the Godfather

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

My sources are saying that WWE will recreate the limo explosion angle by having Becky carbomb each separate McMahon like the end of the Godfather

Make Finn/Sheamus/Becky/Devlin a stable called the Irish Rassler Alliance

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That story is dumb as poo poo but if you think they're burying Becky you are the world's top moron

They aren't burying her, they're killing her. This storyline will result in most participants been less over than before, particularly Becky.

Winning matches is one thing, but constant boot licking and the stink of the involvement of the McMahon's makes people way less over now, and it has for the last decade.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Rarity posted:

Make Finn/Sheamus/Becky/Devlin a stable called the Irish Rassler Alliance

Please do not spoiler the plot to The Marine 7: The Legend Of Curly's Gold

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

I cannot comprehend why they had Becky say she was sorry, then have Triple H and Stephanie just walk away. It makes no sense from a character POV for any of them, and Vince has had zero skin in this game so his appearance makes no sense either.

I know this is gonna end with Becky/Ronda/Charlotte and the match is still gonna be loving great, but this is just a completely bizarre way to handle it.

Because it makes them seem in control but forgiving and sensible, whereas Vince is insane. Thus when they take over, it's better.

They're continuing the most important long-term booking of the company: the company will be better under HHH and Steph.

Jerusalem posted:

Becky apologizing makes no sense other than as a way to cement Triple H and Stephanie's position as bigger/more powerful than her.

That DICK! posted:

Yeah but it’s ok because the fans will ignore it and still cheer. Because stories, wins and losses do not matter

I love in the retro raw reviews Bryan makes a note of how HHH always won as clean as possible, with his finisher preferably. On a show of bullshit, he consistently won by hitting the Pedigree and pinning people, and now he wants people to think wins and losses don't matter.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Where were Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVga482-4Rs

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 12, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

That DICK! posted:

They’re saying this is work. Being a wwe fan is hard work. It’s like owning a horse

We're going to tell Vince McMahon it's sick and go home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Why can't we just have a straightforward build up to a WrestleMania main event? These two people hate each other, keep them apart until the show and then have them fight each other to see who's baddest. Without all of these bullshit swerves, angles and loving McMahon's.

I was genuinely going to buy WrestleMania for the first time in like 15 years because of Becky v Ronda. But I have absolutely no interest in a triple threat, especially after this nonsense.