Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Yeah there's no way other people could ever hope to fill those shoes.

Tow truck drivers are notoriously bad at repossessing cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Extra Large Marge posted:

That's for antibiotics, not antibacterial soap. I guarantee you germs aren't going to become resistant to ethyl alcohol.

Increasing Tolerance of Hospital Enterococcus faecium to Handwash Alcohols

quote:

Pidot, et al. (2018) tested alcohol tolerance of 139 hospital isolates of E. faecium obtained between 1997 and 2015 and found that E. faecium isolates after 2010 were 10-fold more tolerant to killing by alcohol than were older isolates. Using a mouse gut colonization model of E. faecium transmission, we showed that alcohol-tolerant E. faecium resisted standard 70% isopropanol surface disinfection, resulting in greater mouse gut colonization compared to alcohol-sensitive E. faecium.

The researchers looked for bacterial genomic signatures of adaptation. Alcohol-tolerant E. faecium accumulated mutations in genes involved in carbohydrate uptake and metabolism. Mutagenesis confirmed the roles of these genes in the tolerance of E. faecium to isopropanol.

google Enterococcus faecium

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We need to harness these hard drinking microorganisms for the good of humanity, somehow.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

quote:

Alcohol-tolerant E. faecium accumulated mutations in genes involved in carbohydrate uptake and metabolism
drat. in humans a bac over 0.5% can kill most people. if those bacteria are happy living in 70% alcohol i think it goes beyond tolerance. those bacteria have a problem and need help

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Bitch how are germs even real like turn off the microscope hahahaha...

*Scratches rear end in a top hat and immediatelt resumes eating chicken wings*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

kuddles posted:

Considering how often someone says something ridiculous with utter sincerity on Fox News and all of a sudden half the US believes it to be true, it's very reasonable to be trolled by them.

50 bucks says if there wasn't immediately a massive rejection of his "joke with no punchline described as a personal belief" at the level it was, there would be conservatives refusing to wash their hands to own the libs right now.

I’m pretty sure conservatives are going to stop washing their hands to own the libs regardless of whether it was a joke or not.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Buncha chodes (chuds but I'm trying to respect their feelings about the microaggressions of calling them that word) going all in on defending the most obvious schrodinger's rear end in a top hat defense I've ever seen

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
3O doesn't wash his hands? Not surprised the man is an proper arschel.

Ohhh it was about some Fox guy, whooops my bad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zombiepop posted:

3O doesn't wash his hands? Not surprised the man is an proper arschel.

Ohhh it was about some Fox guy, whooops my bad.

Wow good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Thank you Milo and POTUS.