Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Welcome to the WoD/Bloodlines Vampire Video Games Megathread!
Feel free to talk about any vampire-esque videogame that suits your fancy: V Rising? Do it. - Vampire Survivors? Post away! - Bloodlines 1? We love first-timers! - Mage? Not vampires.

Looking for the World of Darkness mega-thread? Check it out here.
-------------------------------------------
V Rising

Vampire Survivors

Never played the original Vampire: Bloodlines? Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was one of the first Source engine titles to be released in 2004. While extremely buggy, it had one of the most fun stories attached to an action-rpg world and offered plenty of replayability in the form of vampire races with different power subsets.
-You can buy it on GoG here, Or you can buy it on Steam here.
-If you install it from Steam, you'll need to install the Unofficial Patch found here. If you haven't played before, stick with the base patch, veteran players should consider the +Patch which fixes a lot of exploits and changes some things up.
-Upmarket Mango has provided a good post on how to improve lighting to make the game feel more moody and less like a Source engine game.
-Struggling with quests? Want to min-max your character? Just taking the tour? The guides at gamefaq are literally the best options that also cover the +Patch.

Depreciated because it never happened:

Vampire Bloodlines is a first-person role playing game taking place in an alternate timeline where the supernatural exist in the shadows and humans remain blissfully unaware of the vampires, werewolves, demons, mages, and other supernatural creatures live and operate in the same cities and streets as them. In Bloodlines 2, you take control of a newly minted vampire in Seattle destined to change the city forever.
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines2 takes place in the World of Darkness Universe originally created as a tabletop adventure game and has since permeated multiple platforms.

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm really excited about this, but I'm also worried that it will turn out to be an Isometric RPG instead of a FPS rpg.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah I'd rather not have it look like Tyranny or PoE. I'd be a lot happier with a 3rd person or FPS RPG. One of the biggest strengths I've seen in the game was how well the facial animations were done and how unique everyone looked. Voice acting is still superb too. LaCroix and Jack come to mind. I'd be scared of all that being lost in an isometric game. That said, I've been begging for a sequel ever since i first played this in 2014. I don't know how much im cursing the outcome if i'm begging for a sequel and choosing how its done.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

It will be extremely hard for anyone to match Bloodlines, so I'm rather sceptical.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm really excited about this, but I'm also worried that it will turn out to be an Isometric RPG instead of a FPS rpg.

As much as I want the FPS rpg, I don’t see it coming out of Paradox Interactive. It’ll most likely be isometric...but still awesome, maybe.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Let's see if this materializes before Werewolf: The Apocolypse either develops or just cancels.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Harebrained Schemes developing it or bust.

Also its going to probably be isometric and I'm totally cool with it. Making it an immersive sim RPG like the original would probably be too expensive and immersive sims just don't sell unfortunately, even if I love them with all my heart.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 12, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Roman Reigns posted:

As much as I want the FPS rpg, I don’t see it coming out of Paradox Interactive. It’ll most likely be isometric...but still awesome, maybe.

I'm hoping they'll at least go for an over-the-shoulder approach, but there's no telling what way they're going with this just yet. Hopefully the ARG will provide some clues soon.

Edit: It's also worth noting that this could be a direct sequel, one of the ARG images is a fake conversation between two users on the 'Tender' app:

For those who don't remember, Knox is one of the ghouls you meet early on that tricks you into doing a quest for him and his master (Bertram.)

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 13, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Saw this linked the other day via RPS. Ran through it, vaguely interesting - but shallow so far. I'm looking forward to the next stages - a new vampire game could do really really well

I mean, so long as they're not going on about gay purges in chechnya or some poo poo.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Accordion Man posted:

Harebrained Schemes developing it or bust.

Also its going to probably be isometric and I'm totally cool with it. Making it an immersive sim RPG like the original would probably be too expensive and immersive sims just don't sell unfortunately, even if I love them with all my heart.

FPS sims may be popular enough with the Bethesda games making them popular.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Last rumor I heard was that the Elder Scrolls 6 engine is going to be brand new, so if this VTM remake (if it's a thing at all) is real it better use the TES6 engine before all bugs have been ironed out otherwise it ain't gunna feel like VTM.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Whalley posted:

Last rumor I heard was that the Elder Scrolls 6 engine is going to be brand new, so if this VTM remake (if it's a thing at all) is real it better use the TES6 engine before all bugs have been ironed out otherwise it ain't gunna feel like VTM.

They'd have to license that engine out from Bethesda though, and I don't think it'd be that useful since VTM is more focused on city-life instead of sweeping vistas.

If the sequel doesn't use its own engine, then I fully expect them to use Unreal if it's an FPS/TPS. Isometric or topdown would probably use Unity or Lumberyard or one of their previously used engines.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm interested, but I kinda hope it doesn't tie back into VTM:B directly. It would be weird seeing those characters again with different writers and actors (or the same actors but fifteen years older). If this is set in the old WoD, it would be kinda cool if they did it as a 90s period piece like the new Resident Evil 2 remake, but probably not given the ARG stuff.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I look forward to seeing Swedracula's vision of the World of Darkness brought to digital life!

I know Paradox stepped in back in November, though I admit I haven't kept up to date after that

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh fantastic, I have a good excuse to reinstall

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So is this likely taking place in the most recent version of vampire?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Crabtree posted:

So is this likely taking place in the most recent version of vampire?
Maybe, but the new World of Darkness scales back the world building a lot. Also, they are still releasing new versions of Masquerade, so my bet is that its going to be the old Word of Darkness.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

For those of you not following the arg, it references two of the locations from the game, Knox is trying to figure out a secret and travels through Hollywood Boulevard (The third area of the game.) Then heads to Griffith Observatory (Where the trap is sprung and you have to fight a werewolf, eventually pincering it with the observatory doors.)

Sounds more and more like a sequel, or the arg creators really loved the original game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
An alternate possibility for the Tender stuff is that it's marketing for a V5 book that merges Bloodlines stuff into the tabletop canon. Paradox has been mostly focused on the tabletop stuff with White Wolf, especially since that one mobile game blew up in their faces (because they hired a huge piece of poo poo to write it, and he proceeded to make a side character into a literal walking attack on a game designer he doesn't like).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Man, is everyone who wrote for White wolf from mid 00s to recently a shithead?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Chuck Wendig's cool, Patrick O'Duffey, Rose Bailey, just off the top of my head.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The app updated its quests for valentine day.

There's 3 new quests, asking what you did for valentines day, how you felt about valentines day and one that asks you to "reflect on your life" for one minute, while sad music plays and it streams past people holding their heads in their hands in despair.

They've upgraded the amount of "people near you" spots from one (previously; "there are 5 people sick near you") to 3 ("6 People in Stockholm are very hungry, meet them" and "3 people near you are alone, meet them" )

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Man, is everyone who wrote for White wolf from mid 00s to recently a shithead?

As far as I can tell they started recruiting from a pool that consisted exclusively of vampire larpers and that's been downhill ever since.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So since this talks about a Project Chimera (and werewolves had a vampire-chimeric hybrid that often went horrifically wrong) could this actually be a Werewolf arg and people are just hoping for the game that everyone actually wants?

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Archonex posted:

So since this talks about a Project Chimera (and werewolves had a vampire-chimeric hybrid that often went horrifically wrong) could this actually be a Werewolf arg and people are just hoping for the game that everyone actually wants?

Someone familiar with the new print materials was saying that Tender is an app that the Nosferatu hackers had developed to link vamps to willing 'donors.'

For those playing the arg, you might have gotten your first 'match' yesterday, mine had me hunt down Euro art related questions in order to unlock a convo with the user, except I have to wait until they're online to do so.

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 16, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I recall reading something that WoD was corporate nuked by Paradox cause everyone was a Nazi or something?

That seems bad imo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I recall reading something that WoD was corporate nuked by Paradox cause everyone was a Nazi or something?

That seems bad imo

White Wolf's last hurrah was releasing a Vampire: The Requiem splatbook that chronicled the Masquerade in Chechnya, which included a whole bunch of gems like the country being run by a Muslim vampire mafia and public LGBTQ persecution merely being a ploy of various vampire groups. It was probably the most tone deaf thing they'd released since the Roma splatbook for old Vampire and it convinced Paradox to finally reel them in.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Vermain posted:

White Wolf's last hurrah was releasing a Vampire: The Requiem splatbook that chronicled the Masquerade in Chechnya, which included a whole bunch of gems like the country being run by a Muslim vampire mafia and public LGBTQ persecution merely being a ploy of various vampire groups. It was probably the most tone deaf thing they'd released since the Roma splatbook for old Vampire and it convinced Paradox to finally reel them in.

Not Requiem but Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition, AKA V5. It was a section in the Camarilla sourcebook, and it literally caused an international incident and put people in danger.

Maybe the biggest single fuckup in the history of TTRPG.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Basically every game Arkane has made besides Dishonored 1 has done terribly though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Not Requiem but Vampire: the Masquerade 5th Edition, AKA V5. It was a section in the Camarilla sourcebook, and it literally caused an international incident and put people in danger.

Maybe the biggest single fuckup in the history of TTRPG.

Christ, they were still releasing splats for that? I actually had no idea.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Pylons posted:

Basically every game Arkane has made besides Dishonored 1 has done terribly though.

It's crazy though their games are so good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Vermain posted:

Christ, they were still releasing splats for that? I actually had no idea.

V:tM ended in 2003 with Gehenna, and then in 2011 Onyx Path released V:tM 20th edition (V20). When Paradox bought White Wolf off CCP (the makers of EVE Online) in 2015, they created a subsidiary called White Wolf (which is also referred to as Parawolf) being run by a big shithead who wanted to make V5. There was questionable poo poo from the start with V5, and the Camarilla book basically killed V5 (for now) and Parawolf, which was absorbed into Paradox. Paradox as far as I'm aware don't intend to produce any books and are looking to license the IP to somebody to make books.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That seems bad imo

tithin posted:

I mean, so long as they're not going on about gay purges in chechnya or some poo poo.

Refer attach

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

V:tM ended in 2003 with Gehenna, and then in 2011 Onyx Path released V:tM 20th edition (V20). When Paradox bought White Wolf off CCP (the makers of EVE Online) in 2015, they created a subsidiary called White Wolf (which is also referred to as Parawolf) being run by a big shithead who wanted to make V5. There was questionable poo poo from the start with V5, and the Camarilla book basically killed V5 (for now) and Parawolf, which was absorbed into Paradox. Paradox as far as I'm aware don't intend to produce any books and are looking to license the IP to somebody to make books.

Is there any good, comprehensive read about all this stuff? I know Parawolf was absolute trash (but is less trash now?), but frequently hear dark murmurings about Onyx Path and sometimes the authors of the old White Wolf stuff like Mark Rein-Hagen. It's always insinuations and implications, though, so I never know what to make of it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I don't know of a big single source, unfortunately.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I think cyberpunk is going to scratch my VtM:Bloodlines itch but I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be good. Maybe just desperately hopeful. :shobon:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Game's starting to move - I got an out of game email with a link to a webpage that looks vaguely like a wordpress blog about conspiracies, centered around Tender.

https://www.trustnomore.com/2019/02/15/tender-its-spreading-influence/

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

tithin posted:

Game's starting to move - I got an out of game email with a link to a webpage that looks vaguely like a wordpress blog about conspiracies, centered around Tender.

https://www.trustnomore.com/2019/02/15/tender-its-spreading-influence/

I'm still waiting on my 'match' to come online and I haven't seen anyone have a similar case yet on reddit or any other webite.
Edit: Nevermind, one of the arg tracking websites has updated their Tender quest list.

That being said, I haven't received any emails from the TMZ portion of the arg like you did. The website's headline photo appears to be an in-engine rendering:

It's also labeled tender-newyork.jpg, which could be because that's where the event is taking place, or that's where the next game will take place.

Tetrabor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 18, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Turns out, its just going to be a LARP guide for V5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Tetrabor posted:

I'm still waiting on my 'match' to come online and I haven't seen anyone have a similar case yet on reddit or any other webite.
Edit: Nevermind, one of the arg tracking websites has updated their Tender quest list.

That being said, I haven't received any emails from the TMZ portion of the arg like you did. The website's headline photo appears to be an in-engine rendering:

It's also labeled tender-newyork.jpg, which could be because that's where the event is taking place, or that's where the next game will take place.

Following the Rabbit hole, one of the links on TNM says that Tender has a live event on 23/2 in new york for which TNM wants to stack the deck and have people show up with hunting gear including night vision goggles. There's a web form to complete it - it also lists online options.

Going through gamedetectives Wiki, there's a lot of stuff that I've not seen, this has been going on for at least a month - they had an in person event last month with a locked suitcase that had some tender CEO's redacted email.

I anticipate we'll maybe have a "conversation" with DeepSapphire4 today or tommorow, and she'll "invite" us to an in person event on the 23rd, and if we can't make it, she'll invite us to a livestream.