Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Not licensed, but Rik Shaffer's involvement was naturally one of the first confirmations of return staff alongside Mitsoda.

I don't have much hope that this one will be as funny as Bloodlines I but I'm willing to be won over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llm0N7nA3kA
I always liked this one. It has a melancholic feel to it which fits Ash to a T.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite part of Hollywood is probably the snuff studio and Andrei's abominations appearing.

The Warrens are a loving nightmare that ruined it but between the studio and the mansion, it felt like things were really getting intense. No more games and small fry, this is what a vampire really faces.

For me it was poking around Hollywood's own masquerade of being The Home of Silver Screen Dreams and instead realizing what you were actually thinking of was Burbank or West Hollywood and finding Actual Hollywood is a couple blocks of this weird, touristy black hole with a vaguely sad collection of people who either tried to make it in the business and didn't or are trying to make it and won't.

(If they wanted an authentic experience, they should have had people dressed up as various pop culture characters shouting nonsense randomly at passersby.)

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Edmund Lava posted:

Ocean House was probably the best received part of the first game, they’ve be nuts not to at least attempt it.

I loved OH the first time around, but it got incredibly tedious during subsequent runs. I think part of the issue is that it has to kind of be non-interactive since the whole point of it was basically "Yeah, you're a spooky vampire, but you're powerless against ghosts and random furniture thrown at you." So I can see the reasoning if they decided to try and not include something like that again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Ocean House is a great set piece, but isn't very scary after you've played through once or twice and you know that very little in there can actually kill you.

Grout's Mansion is awesome because it's simultaneously deeply creepy, characterizes the setting, and is a chance to just cut loose with your vampyre powarz.

Hexenritter posted:

As with a lot of bands it can be a little hit and miss. I like a few of their tracks but as Basic Chunnel so amusingly put it, they're not exactly titans of the industrial scene. Their main schtick is that they're BDSM metal.
Seconded; I have it on good authority that the primary appeal of the Genitorturers was going to their live shows and seeing people do illegal things to each other onstage.

If you like the Genitorturers musically, check out My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult.

After my like third playthrough I replaced the game's soundtrack with my own. The one I chose for the anarch bar was Alien Sex Fiend's "I Walk The Line." I thought it worked better for a location where you have to converse with multiple NPCs.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 13, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llm0N7nA3kA
I always liked this one. It has a melancholic feel to it which fits Ash to a T.

I agree with this 100%. I'm no musician at all but music is the best form of storytelling ever. The right song at the right moment elevates that moment above and beyond what it could be otherwise. Ash just wouldn't be as compelling without "Cain" playing in the background helping us to understand his dismal worldview and feelings.

Same for VV or Damsel or any of the others. Having these great songs play in the background helps us get into their heads. No disrespect the great VAs and writes but the characters just wouldn't be as good without the music.

@ The Genitorturers

Thanks for the replies. I an dig the music. I notice a lot of their comments are filled with VTM fans. Bloodlines did well for them, then. I doubt they'd be in Bloodlines 2, though. Given it's Seattle I expect a lot of grunge.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

KMFDM's cover of the Genitorturer's song Sin City is a lot better than the original I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7QUutqzaPE

Pretty good that the same guy is doing the music for Bloodlines 2, though. Couldn't fault his work in 1.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Synergy: KMFDM used to go on tours sponsored by Jagermeister. Or maybe that was Pigface? Idk. The point is, you know they went to Trent Reznor for an exclusive track first, then went to Ministry for "Bloodlines" (which is an open interpolation of "So What" even then)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't think I ever found ocean house very scary but I always thought it was a charming shoutout to Kubrick, one of my favourite directors.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

faulting The Ocean House Hotel as one-use horror is such a galaxy brain take. The game would be far, far less well thought of if it had not one but two rote Frictional-style hide and seek levels, or whatever people think of when they think of "replay value" in horror. Heading for the laundry the first time only needs to work once, and when it does it's better than everything in Brushstrokes of Terror or Outlast or whatever can throw you at you in an entire game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also lots of stuff in that house can kill you pretty easily. The flying paintings, etc all do aggro damage, to say nothing of the drat elevator.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Also lots of stuff in that house can kill you pretty easily. The flying paintings, etc all do aggro damage, to say nothing of the drat elevator.

I loving hate that elevator. I thought you were supposed to try and jump on and climb the ladder or whatever it was but apparently you can just move to a spot and avoid the thing.

Saw it in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nczjs-7A7k

I heard you see extra stuff with Auspex, too?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Last time I did ocean house I nearly got killed just trying to look around the first floor for all the props that ghost flings at you. I honestly wondered if the unofficial patch or something had been putting more ammo around for it.

Wondering if Hardsuit should attempt it though... I wasn't super impressed with the asylum in the Thief reboot that wanted to be Shalebridge Cradle but then there was never a video game haunted house that got me as bad as Shalebridge did either.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

I agree with this 100%. I'm no musician at all but music is the best form of storytelling ever. The right song at the right moment elevates that moment above and beyond what it could be otherwise. Ash just wouldn't be as compelling without "Cain" playing in the background helping us to understand his dismal worldview and feelings.

Same for VV or Damsel or any of the others. Having these great songs play in the background helps us get into their heads. No disrespect the great VAs and writes but the characters just wouldn't be as good without the music.

By the same token, Isolated (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y33hGaEgW7U) is an extremely good choice for the first club you're sent to. Up to that point you've mostly been dealing with people "in the know" about your condition, so the club is the first time you're really hanging around regular humans.

Plus Tourette herself is isolated, even for a vampire; no one else knows that she's been living as two different vampires all this time.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Ocean House is already significantly shortened if you time your jump just right to avoid going through the crumbling stairs. It could be made even shorter, but then independently of its scare factor it's just a well-made, very atmospheric level full of little details, so I don't think it's that important.

I hope they delve into a different line for the inevitable sequel's equivalent, and that it's just as confusing for someone unfamiliar with the WoD.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Basic Chunnel posted:

faulting The Ocean House Hotel as one-use horror is such a galaxy brain take. The game would be far, far less well thought of if it had not one but two rote Frictional-style hide and seek levels, or whatever people think of when they think of "replay value" in horror. Heading for the laundry the first time only needs to work once, and when it does it's better than everything in Brushstrokes of Terror or Outlast or whatever can throw you at you in an entire game.

The approach to Ocean House was insane. It captured the combination of dread & giddy excitement I get on the walkup to a well designed haunted house attraction.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Popping lights + unplaceable sounds + strategic placement of backstory reveal + low lights and a LOT of blind corners = movie magic

Like literally, making axedad a physical wandering ghoul or whatever would have ruined it. The phantoms popping up did the job

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

YaketySass posted:

The Ocean House is already significantly shortened if you time your jump just right to avoid going through the crumbling stairs. It could be made even shorter, but then independently of its scare factor it's just a well-made, very atmospheric level full of little details, so I don't think it's that important.

I hope they delve into a different line for the inevitable sequel's equivalent, and that it's just as confusing for someone unfamiliar with the WoD.
I keep harping on it but so much of VTMB was in its art direction and level design - aside from the Hollywood sewer, every location had a very distinct and evocative personality. That and the animation / VO are what keep me coming back even as the gameplay is just as poor as people claim. I'm not getting much of that personality from what we've seen of II (which in fairness isn't much), it feels a little too much like The Killing. Or more to the point, Vampyr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ssLizHtFK4
(also, since the OST was mentioned, you get a little bit of Schaffer's new theme music here. Same drum sample as the original, otherwise a little more baroque)

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 14, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember being so startled I flung my mouse off the side of the desk in the basement when the wife ghost runs in front of you in the hallway the first time I saw it. My first Ocean House run was also about 1AM with the lights off, which helped.

Did the specter always try to kill you with the little earth mover when you went to get the key in the trailer or is that more of Wesp doing the Lord's work?

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Hexenritter posted:

Yep, this right here. I enjoy the rest of the soundtrack but goddamn this track fucks. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the bassist is Dave Vincent of Morbid Angel back when Bloodlines introduced me to Genitorturers.

Yeah, its a great track. Perfect for the setting its used in.

Bloodlines introduced to to the Genitorturers too. Lecher Bitch just popped up in my Pandora station years ago. It was a weird experience, just driving around, and then suddenly, completely out of context, the last round's theme out of loving nowhere.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
RE Music again:

Its really a shame that their music wouldn't really fit the setting, but the Misfits have a ton of vampire songs. The post-Danzig Misfits even have one that specifically references VtM (in The Hunger, vampires are referred to as The Kindred):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iom5wvVNG34

But like I said, they've got ALOT of vampire songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mOCCVBwQZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNm6adWL9_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZjC6X7iKg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2tI_4JBECg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thnwc0x_5BQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkgZ7bWXsSI

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

There was this scare in OH that I liked a lot. If you go to the very end of one of the hallways in the first floor (I think the left side), you turn around and you see the axe ghost is right there. It helps sell the feeling of being helpless and trapped.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When I first played Bloodlines, I expected some big twist at the end of the hotel. One of the "files" you can read is a newspaper from the time that says they aren't sure who the killer was, the husband or the wife. I figured "okay, maybe the big twist is that the wife was behind all this and it's just a big fakeout."

Obviously that wasn't what happened. Dunno why they even bothered to include that bit from the newspaper.

Also somebody said a few pages ago that vampires invariably go to Hell. In the Quest Log, if you give the Pendant to Therese, it says the wife goes to Heaven and the husband went to Hell.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

When I first played Bloodlines, I expected some big twist at the end of the hotel. One of the "files" you can read is a newspaper from the time that says they aren't sure who the killer was, the husband or the wife. I figured "okay, maybe the big twist is that the wife was behind all this and it's just a big fakeout."

Obviously that wasn't what happened. Dunno why they even bothered to include that bit from the newspaper.

Also somebody said a few pages ago that vampires invariably go to Hell. In the Quest Log, if you give the Pendant to Therese, it says the wife goes to Heaven and the husband went to Hell.

Well, they're both Wraiths, so they were both already in a horrible afterlife where souls are used as currency.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, they're both Wraiths, so they were both already in a horrible afterlife where souls are used as currency.

I never got why she is his eternal victim. I love Jeanette so I gladly gave her the Pendant on my first run and I got a message about how the wife will forever be tortured by her husband. But it's like, you're a ghost too, lady. Do something!

And what about the kids? What happened to their souls? Why didn't I have to free them?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

The public "mystery" is part of what's keeping the ghost from rest. The fledgling is apparently the first person living or dead to have settled the question

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As spooky as the Ocean House is, I always found Grout’s mansion and the flesh castle to be a bit more disturbing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Elizabeth Dane, OP. Bouncy ball shipping crates and all

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

NikkolasKing posted:

This is OWoD, so when they say "hell" it's like... figuring out what that really means is like using several different web search engines in 1998 to look up the same term; at best you know *something* now, but gently caress if you actually know if any of it is true or applicable, and at best you might have gotten some oingo boingo midis off of a yale student's vanity page, except in this case that represents being driven insane by peeking beyond the curtain of mundane existence to meet a minor cosmic liar that made some crap up about what hell is, simply because confusing the three dimensional is its nega-fetish.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I never got why she is his eternal victim. I love Jeanette so I gladly gave her the Pendant on my first run and I got a message about how the wife will forever be tortured by her husband. But it's like, you're a ghost too, lady. Do something!

And what about the kids? What happened to their souls? Why didn't I have to free them?

There's multiple possible answers going by Wraith rules. Weaker willed wraith just repeat stuff from when they lived/died, so that might be the kids. The husband might simply have been a stronger wraith than the wife.

A thing is that wraiths have two things keeping them here: Passions and Fetters. Fetters ar eobjects, people or places that link them to the material world. Lost those, and the wraith has trouble staying in the Shadowlands near our world and will either have to flee deeper into the underworld or move on. Passions are goals left undone in life, linked with particular emotions. They enable the Wraith to feed on these emotions but are also their singular driving goals.

And then there's the Shadows. Basically, after you die your ID becomes a voice in your head driving you towards self-destructive impulse. It even has powers and can even take over temporarily. And all it wants is to become nothing. When a Shadow takes over a Wraith permanently, they become a Spectre, a servant of Oblivion. So maybe the Husband was a Spectre. Or they were bought kept prisoner by the weird tangle of their Fetters, Passions and Shadows untilt he fledgling freed them.

I loving love Wraith: the Oblivion, ok?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/worldofdarkness/status/1260948146278014977

Interesting to have the Sheriff's clan (well, bloodline) confirmed, even if it was the most logical choice. The story about how a goof like LaCroix wrangled a 7th Generation brute like that to be his pet enforcer is probably pretty good.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I imagine how LaCroix got a Laibon to be his sheriff would be an interesting story. Especially a Nagloper seems like it would want anything but to serve a Camarilla prince.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'd probably have a Tremere or Brujah Sheriff. You could count on a Brujah's loyalty and a Tremere is just loving powerful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The archetypal Sheriff is a Brujah class traitor.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I feel like there should be more Nosferatu Sheriffs.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like there should be more Nosferatu Sheriffs.

They could have their own secret police and everything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've always felt most Nosferatu are generally too smart to want the job.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dawgstar posted:

I've always felt most Nosferatu are generally too smart to want the job.

Or just too paranoid.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
What even is the appeal of being Sheriff, anyway? Seems like a good way to get everyone to hate you very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

YaketySass posted:

What even is the appeal of being Sheriff, anyway? Seems like a good way to get everyone to hate you very quickly.

Probably the only person a Prince trust, if nothing else out of necessity. Seems pretty safe position in any place the Camarila has a decent hold, or as in Bloodlines, they’re pushing in and your clan isn’t well liked or trusted.