Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

wiegieman posted:

Capitalism and Imperialism are mechanisms of control that the technocrats tried to use to manage the world and that they completely messed up, like everything else mages do.

It's not a WoD setting unless the new faces/PCs are throwing their hands up in the air in disgust over what those in power over them have done. That includes things like the idealistic Ventrue neonate who realized that the Sabbat targeted BICOP populations for recruitment, wrote up a statistical analysis of why it's in the Camarilla's best interest to better those communities to make that harder, and then had a bunch of centuries old dustfarting monsters just go 'double down on the racism to keep those folks from having any influence, got it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/VtM_Bloodlines/status/1293064749157167105

Oh well.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Honestly not too surprising, and if it'll make the finished game better, all the better. With stuff like Cyberpunk 2077 being pushed back, you really don't want to release against one of the larger titles and have something that's full of bugs or just lacks polish.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

been waiting for this announcement for basically every game so i'm usually surprised when any actually come out this year

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This looked fairly average last time I looked, have there been any recent releases of info about it?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They’ve been pretty quiet. But yeah, it’s been pretty obvious that it needed to be pushed for a while. Even before COVID. Still very excited to play it whenever it releases. Though on PS5 now, I guess.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’m glad it’s getting pushed out, because now I don’t have to exhibit any patience to play it on ps5 and have better load times, lol

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

alansmithee posted:

Honestly not too surprising, and if it'll make the finished game better, all the better. With stuff like Cyberpunk 2077 being pushed back, you really don't want to release against one of the larger titles and have something that's full of bugs or just lacks polish.

But these things would make it a proper sequel to the original!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

crepeface posted:

been waiting for this announcement for basically every game so i'm usually surprised when any actually come out this year

yeah. we would have heard something already if it has a date for this year. I am happy world of darkness is making more video games now. i know an action rpg werewolf game is coming out now and the council devs are making a vampire game so its cool.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
When it's done is the best policy*.

* - except when it's Star Citizen, because they will forever add new features and it'll never be done.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Southpaugh posted:

But these things would make it a proper sequel to the original!

I had forgotten what original Bloodlines went up against. It was, as Smiling Jack said to the Neonate, "They just plop you out here like a naked baby in the woods."

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Wasn't it Valve who forced Troika to delay the release of VTMB until the release of HL2 because they didn't want the buggy prerelease Source engine they gave the Troika devs to be the first public impression of Source?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Dross posted:

Wasn't it Valve who forced Troika to delay the release of VTMB until the release of HL2 because they didn't want the buggy prerelease Source engine they gave the Troika devs to be the first public impression of Source?

I've heard that before, and also that the publishers, knowing full well it would be held back because of HL2, still insisted that the final code had to be handed in months before the thing could ever be released, denying them something like 3 months of polish/debugging time, even allowing for all the usual publication necessities like putting disks and packaging together.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Dross posted:

Yes. Troika spent that time trying to fix things more, but well, we know how it shipped.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A delay doesn’t necessarily mean “we’re working on it longer”, it just means a longer time until the game can recoup its cost. If they do work on it, that means more cost to recoup on release, so delays are never really a *good* thing.

But I suppose if anyone was to throw good money after bad it would be Paradox.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Basic Chunnel posted:

A delay doesn’t necessarily mean “we’re working on it longer”, it just means a longer time until the game can recoup its cost. If they do work on it, that means more cost to recoup on release, so delays are never really a *good* thing.

But I suppose if anyone was to throw good money after bad it would be Paradox.

Throwing good money after bad occasionally results in more good money. For good or ill, Bloodlines 2 is meant to be V5’s debut outside of the tabletop space.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s also the next big milestone in Paradox trying to break into the RPG market. Making sure this comes out well probably pays dividends in a year or two when HBS announces some new RPG.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If this game fails the licence is officially cursed.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I've been half-expecting a delay ever since Cyberpunk was pushed back to late this year, much like how they delayed after Cyberpunk announced their first release date.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anno posted:

It’s also the next big milestone in Paradox trying to break into the RPG market. Making sure this comes out well probably pays dividends in a year or two when HBS announces some new RPG.

I thought they've published rpgs previously? Or are they actually developing this? I'm still not sure exactly how these developer/publisher relationships always work.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Paradox’s unabashed championing of eurojank makes it a natural spot for CRPG diehards, but they don’t actually have much to show yet. They own alt-4X and grand strategy but haven’t made super strong inroads into the CRPG market. Pillars of Eternity 1 was a success, but it wasn’t their IP and iirc their role was mostly physical distribution in Europe.

Tyranny had a quiet launch and a quiet death you could attribute to many different factors: Infinity Engine revival fatigue, troubled development, very anemic hype from Paradox in the lead up to release, extremely unfortunate release timing (a week after USA election ‘16) that might have turned away fash-shy gamers. Perhaps most bizarrely on several levels, there was an abject lack of bootlicking story path options that the fash-curious gamers really really wanted for their immersion. It was patched in later but the damage had been done.

Bloodlines 2 could be cool cult hit but if they’re expecting it could do blockbuster numbers… I hope that’s not the case. That’s how you end up with a perfectly successful game that’s still somehow a disappointment to the publisher, eg, Alien: Isolation

Anno
May 10, 2017

alansmithee posted:

I thought they've published rpgs previously? Or are they actually developing this? I'm still not sure exactly how these developer/publisher relationships always work.

I guess they’re technically just the publisher here as well, though it seems like they’ve had substantially more input this time around (which makes sense, it’s their IP) and they also have a substantial ownership share in the developer, just not a total one.

The biggest difference is just the scale I think. Going from niche isometric cRPGs to a full price more “modern” looking game releasing across PC and consoles from day 1.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Didn't they have that Viking RPG in development a few years ago ? It died a very quick death, I wonder how that all happened.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

That's disappointing about Tyranny. I actually just played it all the way through about a month ago and quite enjoyed it. Definitely needs a sequel at least to wrap it up. I'm on the fence about preordering bloodlines on sale right now, as long as it isn't a dumpster fire I'll probably love it. Just started playing vtm with some strangers and a GM I know as well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Never preorder anything.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
We are gonna buy it even if it's a dumpster fire, it's part of the charm.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry Lobster posted:

We are gonna buy it even if it's a dumpster fire, it's part of the charm.

I wonder if Wesp5 is already thinking about modding it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Parallelwoody posted:

That's disappointing about Tyranny. I actually just played it all the way through about a month ago and quite enjoyed it. Definitely needs a sequel at least to wrap it up. I'm on the fence about preordering bloodlines on sale right now, as long as it isn't a dumpster fire I'll probably love it. Just started playing vtm with some strangers and a GM I know as well.

I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed Tyranny’s setting and characters. It was not the grimdark misery I was expecting.

Anno
May 10, 2017

El_Elegante posted:

I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed Tyranny’s setting and characters. It was not the grimdark misery I was expecting.

Yeah I don’t think the pre-release marketing really did a good job of selling the setting or most of your character choices.

I really enjoyed this video from Noah Caldwell-Gervais talking about the world and his general thoughts while playing. Worth a listen imo, as is most of his stuff if you have the time.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

wiegieman posted:

Never preorder anything.

Only pre-order things you're literally going to buy under all circumstances, and even then only if there's a good deal.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It was a nice bonus to get this game for free in the goodie bag envelope in Berlin, an otherwise shoddy and cheap experience that was only a net positive because my fellow Mapgoons are cool and we hung out a lot.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I look forward to enjoying some quality Amerijank with the sequel. The only thing I'll be unhappy about is if it's more GTA sandbox and less focused on interesting environments.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
lol I bought a console a few months ago for the first time in over a decade because I wanted to play, among other things, this and Cyberpunk at release, I am capitalism's bitch. oh well.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Don’t be embarrassed, I’m seriously considering buying a ps3 to play its exclusives.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm preordering the poo poo out of this, you can protest all you want but it's the metric the industry uses, and I want this IP to be successful and generate more games.

It's me, I'm the horrible Camarilla apologist.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fuzz posted:

I'm preordering the poo poo out of this, you can protest all you want but it's the metric the industry uses, and I want this IP to be successful and generate more games.

It's me, I'm the horrible Camarilla apologist.

I'm also going to preorder it. I mean, there's no way I'm not buying it and I want the dev diary, but I'll wait until a couple of weeks before release. As I see it, there's literally no point preordering stuff before it has an announced release date.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m way ahead of y’all. I preordered this like 18 months ago

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

El_Elegante posted:

I’m way ahead of y’all. I preordered this like 18 months ago

i'm gonna wait and see, everything I've seen has been mediocre but it could be a fakeout

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I don't care if this game is a piece of poo poo I will still play this garbage there's only like 12 vampire video games in all of existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oooph.

Paradox posted:

Hi everyone,

Paradox Interactive and Hardsuit Labs have some important updates to share today. We recently shared that we were making some organizational changes to the Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 team, as promised, we will now give an update on what that means.

Lead Narrative Designer Brian Mitsoda and Creative Director Ka’ai Cluney are no longer part of the team at Hardsuit Labs. This was a joint decision made by the leadership of Hardsuit Labs and Paradox Interactive.

We appreciate, and value, the contributions of Brian and Ka’ai, which were instrumental in establishing the game's storyline and dark tone and have helped to ensure that we are making a true successor to the iconic Bloodlines. We wish them both the best in their future endeavors.

With that, we are excited to announce that Alexandre Mandryka has come aboard as Creative Consultant, filling the Creative Director role for Bloodlines 2, and will help us in the final stages of development. Alexandre is committed to following the vision that is in place, and successfully bringing Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 to the fans.

Alexandre has been in the industry for more than 20 years and has worked on iconic franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Warhammer 40,000, Far Cry, and more. With a long history of shipping excellent franchises, we are excited with what Alexandre brings to the game and the World of Darkness.

These changes to the team are focused on one thing: to bring you the best possible Vampire: The Masquerade game. We will share further updates as they occur.

We thank you all for understanding.

What the hell has gone on behind the scenes here?