Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

sebmojo posted:

Binfinite is loathed by goons because it's supposed to say "maybe fighting racism is just as bad as racism?!" but it actually says racism is America's original sin and produces horror in a way that can't just be turned off without time travel. This is explicitly the text of the game.

It didn't do a great job of putting it across though, and that fight with the lady was fairly tedious.

Bioshock Infinite's two real sins are that a) the plot is bad, and b) none of the environments are as good as Rapture. It was just boring IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Metacritic paints a rosy picture, but the game more or less killed Irrational, and what had been a lucrative series. Ken Levine apparently wanted to make more throwback DLCs but 2K put the kibosh them. Sometimes not even a game's success can save a studio from the strain of making it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Basic Chunnel posted:

Metacritic paints a rosy picture, but the game more or less killed Irrational, and what had been a lucrative series. Ken Levine apparently wanted to make more throwback DLCs but 2K put the kibosh them. Sometimes not even a game's success can save a studio from the strain of making it.

Yeah it seems to have been a hellish job making it.

I haven't played the dlcs set in rapture, they do sound fairly bad.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Everything about this game looked pretty drat bad even before they canned that guy.
It was so strange, as the gameplay vid seemed (?) to really lean on the fact that fans loved Bloodlines 1 for all its jank. But when we said that a true sequel would be a mess we'd love all the same, we were only half-serious. We loved the jank of Bloodlines because we were forced to move past it, we weren't actually looking forward to more of it (and there's a crucial difference between learning to live with jank as you play through it and watching someone else experience it). Going forward with "the sequel has all the endearing shoddiness you love", which is the only real explanation for releasing that full gameplay segment in the state it was in, left a bad taste.

And then E3 came around, Mitsoda and the studio lead were nowhere to be seen, and the "big reveal" was like a stiffly animated 15 seconds of Damsel. In retrospect, the writing was on the wall.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Basic Chunnel posted:

It was so strange, as the gameplay vid seemed (?) to really lean on the fact that fans loved Bloodlines 1 for all its jank. But when we said that a true sequel would be a mess we'd love all the same, we were only half-serious. We loved the jank of Bloodlines because we were forced to move past it, we weren't actually looking forward to more of it (and there's a crucial difference between learning to live with jank as you play through it and watching someone else experience it). Going forward with "the sequel has all the endearing shoddiness you love", which is the only real explanation for releasing that full gameplay segment in the state it was in, left a bad taste.

And then E3 came around, Mitsoda and the studio lead were nowhere to be seen, and the "big reveal" was like a stiffly animated 15 seconds of Damsel. In retrospect, the writing was on the wall.

The jank was part of it, but you put up with it because the good parts were so good. I think people are willing to write off what we've seen, because they go along with that. The parts that made you love the first, haven't really been shown yet. Which were also the parts that Mitsoda and Ellison were presumably working on.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Wacky Delly posted:

The jank was part of it, but you put up with it because the good parts were so good. I think people are willing to write off what we've seen, because they go along with that. The parts that made you love the first, haven't really been shown yet. Which were also the parts that Mitsoda and Ellison were presumably working on.

I dunno some parts the jank added to the charm. I remember on launch patch the animations didn't work for the intro cutscene so you had people scooting around on one leg and poo poo. It was amazing.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

With the current attrition, I feel safe in writing off bloodline 2.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I don't think my machine will handle it when it comes out, but even if it could I'd wait for the DLC to come out.

No Nosferatu, no juego. :colbert:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the game was dead ever since they showed off the the trailer that had a soundtrack like they thought they were making fallout. bury it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sebmojo posted:

Binfinite is loathed by goons because it's supposed to say "maybe fighting racism is just as bad as racism?!" but it actually says racism is America's original sin and produces horror in a way that can't just be turned off without time travel. This is explicitly the text of the game.

It didn't do a great job of putting it across though, and that fight with the lady was fairly tedious.

yeah sorta. i think the problem with infinite is its clearly like 5 builds and stories that got pushed into each other to make one weird inconsistent whole. i get what ken was trying to do with the vox but the issue is it doesn't have the guts to go all in really. it just kinda waffles and than the DLC loving retcons everything to some extent. the vox needed a much much bigger presence and less based on "irish and blacks are basically slave underclass" for the game to pull off a "maybe full great terror isnt the best method". plus the world building for columbia in general sucks compared to rapture. id say up until finkton the game works but than the stupid universe smashing happens and everything is pointless.

sebmojo posted:

Yeah it seems to have been a hellish job making it.

I haven't played the dlcs set in rapture, they do sound fairly bad.

they rebuilt it like 5 times from the ground up because as much as i like ken(met him once and he was cool) dudes one of those artists who loves feature creep and than when the game becomes a giant mess. it gets reset but with some of the ideas /story kept. so you get a weird mess. its even like that in bioshock 1. but it only shows itself post ryan. you even see the game start to slowly break apart when you get to hephestus.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah sorta. i think the problem with infinite is its clearly like 5 builds and stories that got pushed into each other to make one weird inconsistent whole. i get what ken was trying to do with the vox but the issue is it doesn't have the guts to go all in really. it just kinda waffles and than the DLC loving retcons everything to some extent. the vox needed a much much bigger presence and less based on "irish and blacks are basically slave underclass" for the game to pull off a "maybe full great terror isnt the best method". plus the world building for columbia in general sucks compared to rapture. id say up until finkton the game works but than the stupid universe smashing happens and everything is pointless.

they rebuilt it like 5 times from the ground up because as much as i like ken(met him once and he was cool) dudes one of those artists who loves feature creep and than when the game becomes a giant mess. it gets reset but with some of the ideas /story kept. so you get a weird mess. its even like that in bioshock 1. but it only shows itself post ryan. you even see the game start to slowly break apart when you get to hephestus.

this is a good gloss on what I wrote, thanks. I just don't like the 'both sides' take because that seems a tendentious reading, but I agree it was fairly muddled. Had some crazy good setpieces though.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mushika posted:

I don't think my machine will handle it when it comes out, but even if it could I'd wait for the DLC to come out.

No Nosferatu, no juego. :colbert:

Frankly, I'm unsure if the thing itself will make it to launch; the only reason that it isn't a likely shoein for the worst disaster RPG of the 2020s is that Dragon Age III hasn't been formally cancelled yet.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 21, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Armadillo Tank posted:

is it normal to layoff SENIOR staff after dev completes?

I can see lower levels, but even after the game releases the possibility for a sequel, DLC, or expansions is still there so it would make no sense to fire them. Also then it wouldn't be quiet and the respective people wouldn't be silent about it was well.

It is normal to lay off staff that is only going to work on that particular game once their components are complete. We are kind of used to the American system where Senior Designers are often co-owners of the company they work in, which was not the case here.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The game is gonna come out eventually and nobody will be happy about it. Not the fans they were catering to before, and not the new crowd they're hoping to attract later.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TheAnomaly posted:

It is normal to lay off staff that is only going to work on that particular game once their components are complete. We are kind of used to the American system where Senior Designers are often co-owners of the company they work in, which was not the case here.

I think you'll find that the prognosticators know with 100% certitude that this game will be the worst thing since Star Citizen met ET for the Atari.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sebmojo posted:

this is a good gloss on what I wrote, thanks. I just don't like the 'both sides' take because that seems a tendentious reading, but I agree it was fairly muddled. Had some crazy good setpieces though.

yeah. i still like the game partially but like the middle kinda sucks with the first and last bit being good. also whats gloss?

Demiurge4 posted:

The game is gonna come out eventually and nobody will be happy about it. Not the fans they were catering to before, and not the new crowd they're hoping to attract later.

yeah. i think its gonna be a weird cult hit type. fun but janky gameplay mixed with some interesting story stuff but broken and glitchy/etc.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

TheAnomaly posted:

I remember the same line being dropped in the halcyon days of "needs more... ehhh" CCP and the World of Darkness MMO. Europeans emerging out of their toadstool houses just long enough for their whimsical ways to collide against the machinery of business. The same exact thing happened when they handed Swedracula the White Wolf license. They're just guileless that way, everybody takes advantage of their good faith.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i think its gonna be a weird cult hit type. fun but janky gameplay mixed with some interesting story stuff but broken and glitchy/etc.

How could you think that this could be the case? This going to be a tedious mess more likely than not, like the original has loads of really good content. We don't know what if anything this game consists of. It's safe to assume its going to be very bad.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Do we know if Mitsoda and Ellison ever went to Sweden at any point? I’d be surprised if they did, they seem shockingly ignorant of the custom

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean "tedious mess" describes a lot of the first game too

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

How could you think that this could be the case? This going to be a tedious mess more likely than not, like the original has loads of really good content. We don't know what if anything this game consists of. It's safe to assume its going to be very bad.

idk. i like being optimistic i guess.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blockhouse posted:

I mean "tedious mess" describes a lot of the first game too

I think once you hit mid hollywood you've seen the best the game has to offer.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. i like being optimistic i guess.

Yeah fair enough man, I really want it to be good too. But all the news points toward a real disaster.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

I think once you hit mid hollywood you've seen the best the game has to offer.

Yeah fair enough man, I really want it to be good too. But all the news points toward a real disaster.

oh i am sure. i will still probably pick it up at some point. i am more excited for this years Ubisoft games and cyberpunk 2077 at this point than this. i am more curious about that action RPG wherewolf game. like its probably gonna blow rear end too but idk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJKHn2ugRNI

i know a decent bit about the vampire lore but are the werewolves just nuts and think that modern technology is wyrm/devil tech or is that poo poo all real or whatever. I am used to 40k where everything is taken with grain of salt.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i still like the game partially but like the middle kinda sucks with the first and last bit being good. also whats gloss?

Expansion/clarification

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think there's good stuff in Bloodlines all throughout, even if the sewers and the post-werewolf taxi ride instead of proper exploration both suck.

Chinatown has my favorite hub theme and this music for the final area rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Z8lCRFl7k

Climbing LaCroix's Tower felt like a good, climactic final dungeon. So different from pretty much every other area in the game. This is not some dirty shithole or abandoned building, it's high tech and intimidating because of that if you get my meaning.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I can still imagine a world where this game is good and I would enjoy even a passable successor to the old one

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Monkey posted:

I think you'll find that the prognosticators know with 100% certitude that this game will be the worst thing since Star Citizen met ET for the Atari.

The game will likely come out, will be okay, and be titty modded/"rebalanced" to hell and back within a week of release.

I have spoken.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The game will likely come out, will be okay, and be titty modded/"rebalanced" to hell and back within a week of release.

I have spoken.

You're probably wrong since this isn't a source-engine game that can be easily modded.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
In the year 2020, only the Source engine has been cracked by modders. You heard it here, Paradox games are usually really difficult to mod and have no modding community.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

In the year 2020, only the Source engine has been cracked by modders. You heard it here, Paradox games are usually really difficult to mod and have no modding community.

Your sarcasm would be great if you had any idea as to what the gently caress you were talking about.

It's a UE4 game. UE4 is arguably the least mod-friendly engine on the market. No one is modding it unless the devs invest the time and resources to allow you to mod it.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 21, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was excited for this game because the original was pretty good (or at least the first half was lol) and it was set in the city I lived in and playing vampire seattle sounded fun

Then I promptly forgot all about it until I saw this thread on the thread list, I click in, and I guess there's been a million red flags that the game is not going to be good since the initial trailer?

That sucks

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I was excited for this game because the original was pretty good (or at least the first half was lol) and it was set in the city I lived in and playing vampire seattle sounded fun

Then I promptly forgot all about it until I saw this thread on the thread list, I click in, and I guess there's been a million red flags that the game is not going to be good since the initial trailer?

That sucks

Honestly, I wouldn't let this thread dampen your mood. The reality is that with everything we heard so far, this game's development is no more tumultuous than most other AAA games. The only difference is that most of the time news of that turmoil never hits the mainstream and tends to stay within the realm alcohol induced venting (like literally not a single article was written about how Visual Concepts basically imploded and lost about half their LA staff in 2018). Like it sucks and is an indictment of the industry that this poo poo is so common, but is in fact very common. The reality is that we won't actually know how good this game will be until we get close to release.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't pre-order.

But then that's true of all games ever.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Zephro posted:

I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't pre-order.

But then that's true of all games ever.

Speaking of; https://merch.paradoxplaza.com/bloodlines-2-ce/3837/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines-2-ce-pc?c=217

Check that estimated release date.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Oh, for fucks' sake. Cyberpunk better be good :(

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 21, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jan 2022? Lmao that's a "rebuild from the ground up" delay.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I wouldn't put too much stock into that. While this is Paradox's official store, ultimately they're probably still just putting a generous placeholder in there and that arm of the publisher doesn't have inside information on the date they're currently shooting for.

That said, the news lately really makes this sound like a gigantic gently caress-up and I have little hope for the project at the moment.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I mean it might just be they chucked a date far away in as a placeholder. But yeah not a good sign.

edit:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wouldn't put too much stock into that. While this is Paradox's official store, ultimately they're probably still just putting a generous placeholder in there and that arm of the publisher doesn't have inside information on the date they're currently shooting for.

That said, the news lately really makes this sound like a gigantic gently caress-up and I have little hope for the project at the moment.

Yeah this. I just happened to look at it today and laughed at the date.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
[quote="communism bitch" post="509127172"]
Jan 2022? Lmao that's a we dont have anything more than the things we have shown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

As everyone else has said, that's just placeholder, but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a Q4 2021 game.