Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Not that I´m trying to downplay the red flags that this game already has but doesn´t that link just refer to the collector´s edition physical stuff, since it doesn´t mention the game itself in that package? Could be that several of those items won´t ready to ship until 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Captain Monkey posted:

I think you'll find that the prognosticators know with 100% certitude that this game will be the worst thing since Star Citizen met ET for the Atari.

This IP is, without exaggeration, cursed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

placeholder though a weird one. I am guessing early mid 2021 or summer of 2021.

sebmojo posted:

Expansion/clarification

thanks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bloodlines 2 will probably not be good? :/ I really want this to be a good game.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It's going to be flawed in several aggravating ways, buggy as hell, but ultimately evolve into a decent game with a small but fanatical following after years of modding.

Just like the first one.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dapper_Swindler posted:

placeholder though a weird one. I am guessing early mid 2021 or summer of 2021.

My money's on September/October next year.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Holy shiiiiiiit.

Like forget the NDAs, something unnatural happened here.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

jng2058 posted:

It's going to be flawed in several aggravating ways, buggy as hell, but ultimately evolve into a decent game with a small but fanatical following after years of modding.

Just like the first one.

As has been said before, UE4 is not moddable. We’re going to get what we’re going to get.

SweetBro posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't let this thread dampen your mood. The reality is that with everything we heard so far, this game's development is no more tumultuous than most other AAA games. The only difference is that most of the time news of that turmoil never hits the mainstream and tends to stay within the realm alcohol induced venting (like literally not a single article was written about how Visual Concepts basically imploded and lost about half their LA staff in 2018). Like it sucks and is an indictment of the industry that this poo poo is so common, but is in fact very common. The reality is that we won't actually know how good this game will be until we get close to release.
This would be reassuring if Visual Concepts made good games people were happy with and enjoyed playing.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 22, 2020

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I said come in! posted:

Bloodlines 2 will probably not be good? :/ I really want this to be a good game.

Same, but I've gone from expecting it to be acceptable to good; to expecting it to be bad to maybe acceptable. No confidence, but I want it to be good.

Or I'll just go play the original through the ocean house for the 30th time. Every time I start it back up I get maybe to downtown before I think "I've seen what I want from this again."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Next year? geez. GOG says 12/31/2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Next year? geez. GOG says 12/31/2021

That one is certainly a placeholder.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
My neighbor's cousin's ex-wife's pool boy says it was delayed until 2024 for incorporate a Battle Royale mode.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cobbsprite posted:

My neighbor's cousin's ex-wife's pool boy says it was delayed until 2024 for incorporate a Battle Royale mode.

100 Kindred Enter, 1 Kindred Leaves

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

CottonWolf posted:

Diablerie Mode DLC.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

CottonWolf posted:

And one very tired Tzimisce is satisfied with a job well done.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is Vampyr any good? I got a 75% off coupon for it and I never played it. Honestly the gameplay videos didn't really excite me, but then again VtMB's gameplay isn't very exciting either. Is the story decent?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is Vampyr any good? I got a 75% off coupon for it and I never played it. Honestly the gameplay videos didn't really excite me, but then again VtMB's gameplay isn't very exciting either. Is the story decent?

I remember the gameplay getting stale about midway through, but I had fun.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Upmarket Mango posted:

It's really padded with boring combat as you backtrack through respawning enemies. Also the core idea of balancing the health of districts, learning about characters, and choosing which ones to drain is mostly a failure, because most of the content you unlock by doing so is plain uninteresting. On the plus side, it is quite atmospheric, and at times it nails the archaic romantic vampire melodrama style.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Upmarket Mango posted:

It's free on PS4 if you have PS+ right now, so you may as well grab it there if you're a PS4 haver.

It has some decent writing and voice acting, though kinda eh gameplay. The whole social networks thing and hidden storylines aspect of it is decent, though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Vampyr is great if you played Bloodlines and thought "this is ENTIRELY too funny"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I tried it and was just bored with the gameplay. And I'm a sucker for anything with vampires.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Story and sidequests were alright but the combat was garbage.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kavak posted:

Story and sidequests were alright but the combat was garbage.

Not so different from the VtM games then.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

I like Bloodlines' stealth :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Angry Lobster posted:

Except flip the combat:story ratio upside down.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks for y'all chiming I think I'll just give it a pass.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I was annoyed by how it repeated the classic Bioshock design mistake: "You can eat Little Sisters citizens to get powerups to make the game easier. Boy, that sure is a MORAL DILEMMA, isn't it?"

No it isn't, I'm going to play as a perfect good guy until either the game ends, in which case all the extra content is wasted, or until the game gets too hard and I must either change my roleplaying or uninstall. Being unable to continue the game is not a meaningful price to pay for roleplaying a good guy.

To be clear, having good and evil paths in a videogame is totally fine, just don't tie your character's performance as a decent human being to your performance as a skilled player.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I didn't play the game far enough to find out how well implemented the system was, but it seemed to make sense to me conceptually that a vampire who was feasting on blood all the time would be more powerful than one that was deliberately trying to avoid hurting anyone. Maybe it made the game unfun, but 'you're going to be a pretty lovely vampire if you don't drink blood' seems like a pretty common perspective for media about vampires to have.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sinteres posted:

I didn't play the game far enough to find out how well implemented the system was, but it seemed to make sense to me conceptually that a vampire who was feasting on blood all the time would be more powerful than one that was deliberately trying to avoid hurting anyone. Maybe it made the game unfun, but 'you're going to be a pretty lovely vampire if you don't drink blood' seems like a pretty common perspective for media about vampires to have.

It would have been far more interesting if the game said that you have to kill 5 people in this area to stop yourself from starving. And then the moral question would be something along the lines of, "this is a good person, but they don't keep the district running, this is a bad person, but their protection racket is the only thing stopping the area falling into chaos, which of them will you kill?"

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
Oddly enough, Fable 3 is a fantastic example of doing this well despite its many other shortcomings. Picking the evil route caused everyone you meet to visibly live in squalor and generally dislike you by default; you could mostly overcome that on a person-by-person basis with time and effort and money (which you would have plenty of), showcasing the exact kind of intense wealth inequality that defines immoral capitalism in the first place. The only things it specifically locked you out of entirely were having positive interactions with specific high-minded NPCs who knew exactly how selfish you were and could not be individually bribed. You were still able to protect your kingdom from the big threat but it took additional investment to counteract your own act of sacking the populace.

Arguably, doing so is an emergent and unintended example of the most abject evil: guaranteeing the continued suffering of the most people vs the blithe indifference that was natural to the route.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Basic Chunnel posted:

As has been said before, UE4 is not moddable. We’re going to get what we’re going to get.
Just to go on the record to clarify this. It's not impossible to mod UE4 games. It's that it is considerably more difficult to do so (especially if you want to edit levels or add custom logic) and a lot more restrictive due to how Epic licenses their engine. Meaning that unless mod support is somehow a part of the game's primary business model (E.G. Something like privately hosted servers) it makes little sense in investing development time into it.

Basic Chunnel posted:

This would be reassuring if Visual Concepts made good games people were happy with and enjoyed playing.

That's a fair stance I suppose. Though strictly speaking I was only using them as an easy example that I 100% certain of the validity. Point is that this kinda of poo poo is disturbingly common and most of the time people outside the grapevines don't find out about it until some post-portem expose hits the news cycle a few years later.

Also on the subject of Vampyr. It's a solid 7/10 game that's primarily held back by the fact that it's most interesting and engaging mechanics punish the player narratively. The game makes it clear that if you feed on Named NPCs and the world will react to their absence in a dynamic way. However the way the world reacts is narratively negative and since you get max benefits from feeding on them after you've learned more about their background it feels like a narrative gut punch to betray someone like. The alternative however, is to just not. The only benefit you get from it is more exp, but since the combat is sufficiently skill based, if you've beaten any DS game you'll probably be able to beat this without ever chewing on anyone. Plus you get the good ending. So like, the game creates this super interesting dynamic world system and them does its best to encourage you to never interact with it in any meaningful way.

I don't think it's as bad people here make it out to be. Just don't expect anything super groundbreaking here.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 23, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
vampyr is a dour and humorless game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zeta Acosta posted:

vampyr is a dour and humorless game.

That's the main thing I appreciated about it, it is an overwrought vampire melodrama, and it makes no concessions in that regard.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah, it is misery and angst in the most Victorian gothic horror way possible and in that regard it works brilliantly.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

NihilCredo posted:

I was annoyed by how it repeated the classic Bioshock design mistake: "You can eat Little Sisters citizens to get powerups to make the game easier. Boy, that sure is a MORAL DILEMMA, isn't it?"

No it isn't, I'm going to play as a perfect good guy until either the game ends, in which case all the extra content is wasted, or until the game gets too hard and I must either change my roleplaying or uninstall. Being unable to continue the game is not a meaningful price to pay for roleplaying a good guy.

To be clear, having good and evil paths in a videogame is totally fine, just don't tie your character's performance as a decent human being to your performance as a skilled player.

Didn't saving little sisters give you even more rewards through those packages than harvesting them did?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
lol if they've fired all the good writers/creatives and still have more than a year of dev time left. this is gonna be a trainwreck of massive proportions. def looking forward to pirating it and then uninstalling it after 30 mins of uninspired quests, bad writing and janky-rear end gameplay

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

SweetBro posted:

Just to go on the record to clarify this. It's not impossible to mod UE4 games. It's that it is considerably more difficult to do so (especially if you want to edit levels or add custom logic) and a lot more restrictive due to how Epic licenses their engine. Meaning that unless mod support is somehow a part of the game's primary business model (E.G. Something like privately hosted servers) it makes little sense in investing development time into it.

That's a fair stance I suppose. Though strictly speaking I was only using them as an easy example that I 100% certain of the validity. Point is that this kinda of poo poo is disturbingly common and most of the time people outside the grapevines don't find out about it until some post-portem expose hits the news cycle a few years later.

Also on the subject of Vampyr. It's a solid 7/10 game that's primarily held back by the fact that it's most interesting and engaging mechanics punish the player narratively. The game makes it clear that if you feed on Named NPCs and the world will react to their absence in a dynamic way. However the way the world reacts is narratively negative and since you get max benefits from feeding on them after you've learned more about their background it feels like a narrative gut punch to betray someone like. The alternative however, is to just not. The only benefit you get from it is more exp, but since the combat is sufficiently skill based, if you've beaten any DS game you'll probably be able to beat this without ever chewing on anyone. Plus you get the good ending. So like, the game creates this super interesting dynamic world system and them does its best to encourage you to never interact with it in any meaningful way.

I don't think it's as bad people here make it out to be. Just don't expect anything super groundbreaking here.

On the plus side, some of the people are genuinely irredeemable, so i had no problem learning the depths of their shittiness before chowing down.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Frekkie Melody posted:

Didn't saving little sisters give you even more rewards through those packages than harvesting them did?

I think you end up with slightly less over the course of the game, but yeah they basically chickened out on sticking with the theme of sacrificing your humanity for power by giving you power either way. I respect Vampyr for sticking to their guns, even if it leads to an unfun experience for some players--if you find that it's too difficult, just do the thing and eat some people imo. I don't really see how forcing you eat people from the start would be better, because then you end up in a Spec Ops: the Line situation, which people also complained about.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
People will always complain, that's just how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
https://twitter.com/crypticjordan/status/1320773003324448769
https://twitter.com/StillNotSam/status/1320772485831258113

Huh. To be honest, I kind of expected Paradox to give up on Hardsuit Labs given the obvious shitshow that is this game's development. But apparently they are actually planning for something after Bloodlines 2.