Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
drat rope kid really is lurking everywhere

I got curious about ex-obsidian guys, Kevin Saunders and George Ziets (made Mask of the Betrayer) are basically free agents now... :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Lifeglug posted:

Lol for paradox making my dumb hopeposting even more loving dumb.

Give it to hairbrained schemes or something or just kill it.

Who can even prove that you made those hopeposts? Perhaps they were unsubstantiated rumours. You don't know if you made those posts, perhaps nobody in the thread knows.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
bringing back damsel whas the first sign this game would have been bad. just remake the oroginal with all the fan patches included or let the ip die

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Take it with the requisite considering that Outstar is WoD PR, but here are her thoughts on this. It feels pretty honest, but everyone can make up their own minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2PsPo5z4co

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is there a good Dracula game

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

El_Elegante posted:

Is there a good Dracula game

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kviz-NO3UZs

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Take it with the requisite considering that Outstar is WoD PR, but here are her thoughts on this. It feels pretty honest, but everyone can make up their own minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2PsPo5z4co

Any chance of a quick summary? That's a long video.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Sinteres posted:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That's more "hiatus/effective cancellation" than the announcement implied. If they announce a studio with any kind of talent is working on it there might be a release in 2023 or something, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I got curious about ex-obsidian guys, Kevin Saunders and George Ziets (made Mask of the Betrayer) are basically free agents now... :pray:

George Ziets started his own company. I'm not sure if Kevin Saunders works there now.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Roughly:
  • Mitsoda being fired is private and no company would announce it publicly unless it was in the public interest
  • New folks coming on (the writer from BioWare and the business guy from Ubisoft) isn't a big deal and does not mean a pivot to an ubisoft open world
  • HSL had a game there, it was unfinished, but has 160 hours playing it, she enjoyed what was there at least
  • Can't announce who is taking over because of legal reasons
  • What HSL had done so far, assets, art, etc, is not being thrown away, will be reused.
  • Basically NDAs everywhere
  • Updates on her own channel and stuff

That's all I remember from watching it earlier today.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
you just dont tro away 160 hours of gameplay and change the studio.

if this game ever comes out it will be bad

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Zeta Acosta posted:

She was saying that she had 160 hours in it across various development builds. Not that it was 160 hours long.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

Honestly in this day and age I don't see why you would throw out completed Unreal art assets anyway, because you can certainly throw that up on the Unreal asset shop as "gothic portland pack" or "scary vampire character model" and recoup SOMETHING off of it, for some angsty teenagers first Unreal game.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

George Ziets started his own company. I'm not sure if Kevin Saunders works there now.

yeah that's what I meant, they have their company and could theoretically do this: https://digimancygames.com/our-story

but then again it says they started a thing last year already so rip

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lifeglug posted:

Roughly:
  • Mitsoda being fired is private and no company would announce it publicly unless it was in the public interest
  • New folks coming on (the writer from BioWare and the business guy from Ubisoft) isn't a big deal and does not mean a pivot to an ubisoft open world
  • HSL had a game there, it was unfinished, but has 160 hours playing it, she enjoyed what was there at least
  • What HSL had done so far, assets, art, etc, is not being thrown away, will be reused.

Thanks, that seems pretty thorough!

If they don't find a way to be more transparent about who's taking over in the relatively near future, I feel like that's a pretty bad sign, either in terms of confidence or in terms of the game being really really far away from release. I don't think I'd be totally surprised if we hear in six months that the project is cancelled altogether, but I'm still hoping they find a way to make it work in a way that's worth playing at the end.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Thanks, that seems pretty thorough!

If they don't find a way to be more transparent about who's taking over in the relatively near future, I feel like that's a pretty bad sign, either in terms of confidence or in terms of the game being really really far away from release. I don't think I'd be totally surprised if we hear in six months that the project is cancelled altogether, but I'm still hoping they find a way to make it work in a way that's worth playing at the end.

She kind of implied it’s in talks right now who is taking over and they can’t say anything until it’s agreed, rather than they’re shopping around for a studio.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The best thing I can say for this game is that Prey went through a similar wringer, with more than one studio handoff and concept change until it landed at Arkane. Bethesda / Zenimax only did a single cinematic teaser for the original open world Prey 2 concept, though, whereas Paradox was dumb enough to orchestrate a full court PR press for Bloodlines 2 in its infancy.

Though to be fair, Prey did not sell well on release and part of that came down to the game press being hesitant over its rocky development history (and, naturally, Bethsoft giving it a very soft marketing push).

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 24, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, from the sounds of things they have a new studio working on the game, they're just still going through the legal formalities and don't want to announce anything until the ink's dried.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's just as likely they're making typically bad decisions and have just decided that maybe just maybe they ought to stop advertising them

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I hope all the behind the scenes issues boil down to “we made these vampires too sexy” vs “no, you didn’t make them sexy enough” aka The Eternal Struggle

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

The best thing I can say for this game is that Prey went through a similar wringer, with more than one studio handoff and concept change until it landed at Arkane. Bethesda / Zenimax only did a single cinematic teaser for the original open world Prey 2 concept, though, whereas Paradox was dumb enough to orchestrate a full court PR press for Bloodlines 2 in its infancy.

This is all largely incorrect, mind you. Prey 2 got multiple gameplay demos, was effectively canceled, and the use of the Prey name was basically just a ploy to reuse the IP while Arkane did an original game. The situation is only comparable in that the game eventually was handed to other devs?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Lurking in the forum I've been posting in for ~20 years and the thread I've already posted in half a dozen times.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lifeglug posted:

Roughly:

interesting. so the game might see the moonlight of night at some point in like 2023.

Lifeglug posted:

She kind of implied it’s in talks right now who is taking over and they can’t say anything until it’s agreed, rather than they’re shopping around for a studio.

sounds about right.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Epic has sent out an email to those who pre-ordered. It includes info on how to get a refund:

Epic posted:

Hi,

Thank you for your recent pre-purchase of Vampire: The Masquerade® - Bloodlines™ 2. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the release date has been postponed until further notice. For more details, see the official Bloodlines 2 website.

If you would like to keep your pre-purchase, no further action is required. If you want to cancel your pre-purchase, please visit this site and submit your refund request.

Thank you for your ongoing support of the Epic Games Store.

The Epic Games Team

It was not "Recent" in my case. I remember pre-ordering Borderlands 3 in early 2018 and saying "To hell with it" and grabbing Bloodlines 2 while I was at it.

Anyway, it had been so long that their system didn't allow automatic refund requests so I had to email them. Refund approved within a couple of hours, so it's worth taking a couple minutes and emailing them if you have a pre-order you no longer have any faith in.

\/\/\/ As touched as I am by your obviously genuine concern about my finances, I'm just gonna go ahead and continue spending my money they way I wish to, especially when I'm able to refund with no problems. Thanks!

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 25, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Don't preorder games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Preordering games isn't that big a deal anymore cause unless you're doing it through Kickstarter you can almost always get a refund any time prior to release.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What's the point, though?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Why does anyone do anything on this crazy earth?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I preordered and when this news dropped I got a refund.

Easy peasy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

Sometimes there's a pre-order bonus. People get excited about games and preordering is part of the hype idk.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I try to avoid preorders for the most part, except for all three Total Warhammers, but tbf most of us have probably backed something on kickstarter at some point, which is a glorified preorder most of the time but with less of a guarantee in terms of being able to get your money back if the project fails.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sinteres posted:

I try to avoid preorders for the most part, except for all three Total Warhammers, but tbf most of us have probably backed something on kickstarter at some point, which is a glorified preorder most of the time but with less of a guarantee in terms of being able to get your money back if the project fails.

Kickstarter can be different though, because at least in theory the idea is to secure funding to finish the project. You're pledging to something that otherwise wouldn't get made, in the hopes it does.

You're not funding a AAA game with your pre-order, you're just buying into a marketing scheme.

Unless you're picking your game up from GameStop the day of release there's no reason to pre-order games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pre-downloading can be a big bonus for people with crappy internet.

Yeah there's no real benefit to it but it gets people excited about the game and can add to their enjoyment. It's just not as big a deal as it used to be when most digital retailers allow for cancellation anytime prior to release and have refund windows post release.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WrightOfWay posted:

Childishness

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm surprised that VtMB2 is in such a state, considering that janky 1st person CRPGs are hardly an unsolved problem, lots of developers have worked out the basic bones of such a game, and all you need are some good writers (like Mitsoda et al). Heck, I expected this game to be easier to develop than CP2077, it's nowhere near as ambitious, it's not trying to be Deus Ex plus GTA.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

rope kid posted:

Lurking in the forum I've been posting in for ~20 years and the thread I've already posted in half a dozen times.

So, from a dev perspective, how would it feel to be handed an unfinished game, of a quality that got the previous dev fired, and being paid to make it work? Certainly, not a dream project is it?

Also, please get hired to finish Bloodlines 2. :)

Dec 30, 2008
I'd argue that preordering is signalling your interest in the game to the publisher, so that when development isn't going well they have an incentive to transfer it to another developer instead of just cancelling it. Well done people who preordered, you saved Bloodlines 2. Now we all get to watch this trash fire burn.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NikkolasKing posted:

you're the first person I've seen who called Pillars of Eternity 2 "so-so." That game was awesome.

Poe is so so. I just couldn't enjoy it. A few decent moments but the story utterly failed to hook me.

Tyranny ruled, same engine, loved the game and the story, even if the third act was written in crayon and said "sequel here later maybe", still very enjoyable.

Definitely enjoyed the rules lawyering in the castle re the kid in act 2.

Sorry ropekid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Pillars of Eternity is a weird one for me. I've spent a lot of time playing them, I've probably mastered them in some ways (Path of the Damned was too easy tbh), but looking back on it there's nothing worth remembering, my brain has reallocated that space.

Meanwhile something like Pathfinder: Kingmaker is more comfortable in it's own skin, and despite aiming much lower, actually hits the mark. Underrail is the best RPG since Mask of the Betrayer though. I haven't played Disco Elysium yet, I missed it the first time around and now I'm waiting for the Final Cut with voice acting and stuff.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 25, 2021