Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My interpretation of it was that the existing game was troubled enough that they thought the damage to the IP+cost to get something minimally functional was bigger than the likely sales, so they canceled Bloodlines II 1. Then they turned around to decide what to do with all this newly freed up budget, and a sequel to Bloodlines I was still the best pitch, so they greenlit Bloodlines II 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

pedro0930 posted:

Finally bought Night Road thanks to the summer sale. It's a lot more interactive than I expected for a VN, and better than the other WoD games I've played recently (Shadows of New York, the Werewolves VN). Are the DLCs worth the pickup?

Definitely worth it. They add a ton of poo poo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A really good bloodlines 2 could do an xcom, and turn a cult classic into a blockbuster. Adjective/adverb combo is important there

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
As long as it has a third person view option, i'm sucker enough to preorder

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's every possibility that blood hunt set a standard for how the game needs to look and control that it couldn't meet as-is.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

NihilCredo posted:

A visual designer posted some of his work for the cancelled Bloodlines II. I think they're mockups, but aside from the bobblehead guy in the first picture it looks reasonably good to me:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/143273617/Bloodlines-II

So this is not showing up anymore due to being taken down. Anyone got the links saved for all the pics?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Fuzz posted:

If anyone is really into Swansong's story, there's a couple bits of fiction expanding the backstories of some characters:

https://news.vampire-swansong.com/

They've been posting them up every few days.

man Swansong was so disappointing it feels really bad they are wasting any time on fluff

is there a story on why all three PCs are abolute morons with neonate starting skills? I made a joke about Emem being a combat monster, but even Galeb (who is so old he can hear the call of the Middle East!!!) is a clueless klutz

I gave up and cheated more stats, wasn't that much better experience but at least I felt more like a Vampire

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_flxHhmYqg

Episode one premieres Friday July 1 at 7PM Pacific on https://twitch.tv/worldofdarkness

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I’m hoping it will be good. I really like season 1 of LA by Night, but I tapped out in S2 because Annabelle is the loving worst and I hate everything involving her.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Khizan posted:

I’m hoping it will be good. I really like season 1 of LA by Night, but I tapped out in S2 because Annabelle is the loving worst and I hate everything involving her.

Pretty much my experience. I think I made it about halfway through S3. The decision to build the story around Annabelle was a terrible one, in my opinion.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, Annabelle also ruined it for me. She just kind of hijacked the entire narrative when the other characters were much more interesting and way less annoying.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Annabelle was a good "newbie" introduction to the Vampire universe, but she really should have been rotated to the back after season one.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I actually really liked Annabelle as a character; she was a great source of friction in the group against Victor's urge to compromise on his morality or Jasper's brutal worldview. But at a certain point, they stopped pushing back on her idealism and just went all-in on talking her up as this charismatic revolutionary and the whole story wrapped itself around her. It was so forced that, for the longest time, I really did think that Victor was intentionally overselling her and propping up her little anti-Camarilla movement as part of some Ventrue scheme to use her as a bargaining chip or something.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

https://twitch.tv/worldofdarkness NY by Night is premiering now by the way.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Hahahaha. I have to pay $5.00 to sub to the channel to watch the video?

Don't they only release these once a month?

gently caress that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I disliked how the later series lost their... don't know the word for it. It just turned into randomly picked short scenes with unknown periods of time and activity between without build up or feeling of continuity. Instead of "last week when we left off you did that and are trying to do this" it went "for this scene you are here and are doing this". We don't need to watch Victor do paperwork for five hours but just making long jumps forward over and over every epidose disconnected me from everything.

Generic American posted:

I actually really liked Annabelle as a character; she was a great source of friction in the group against Victor's urge to compromise on his morality or Jasper's brutal worldview. But at a certain point, they stopped pushing back on her idealism and just went all-in on talking her up as this charismatic revolutionary and the whole story wrapped itself around her. It was so forced that, for the longest time, I really did think that Victor was intentionally overselling her and propping up her little anti-Camarilla movement as part of some Ventrue scheme to use her as a bargaining chip or something.
Same. But like the others said it got really grating after some time for me. If it wasn't for the forced hyping her up it wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad I think.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

wiegieman posted:

There's every possibility that blood hunt set a standard for how the game needs to look and control that it couldn't meet as-is.

I dunno if you recall the old gameplay demo, but at least pre-2077 the visuals looked great to me, the problem was that the engine was clearly not handling the verbset very well. It had very stiff early 2000s shooting and everything else was just sort of awkwardly stapled to that. I suspect that the team was simply not up to the task of delivering a AAA action RPG, and maybe not even a AA one. Despite 2077's bungled release, it set a really high bar in terms of being a functional shooter with stealth, melee, and magic (or hacking, but you get me), and anything in the genre coming out afterwards is going to be immediately compared to it.

The gameplay section they showed off was basically a couple of corridors where the devs would have been able to dress it up for the show and make those specific encounters work as well as possible and it was still preeeeeetty janky. It's impossible for the viewer to tell whether that's a working game that needed some visual polish, or a game that was never going to be able to handle open world combat in the huge environments they wanted with all the cars and NPCs and stuff.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

Hahahaha. I have to pay $5.00 to sub to the channel to watch the video?

Don't they only release these once a month?

gently caress that.

They go up on Youtube like a day or two later on the official WoD channel so chill.

E: https://youtu.be/u2mmB1_urxc

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 3, 2022

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

First episode of New York By Night is up on their youtube channel (link is here, and in the post above).

The wonderful return of an actor from the previous series! :drac: :toot:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Poil posted:

First episode of New York By Night is up on their youtube channel (link is here, and in the post above).

The wonderful return of an actor from the previous series! :drac: :toot:

Started it last night and I'm about halfway through the episode. Really glad to see Alex Ward back with a new character, and I'm already enjoying the vibe of the new crew. Their Gangrel is going to get them into so much trouble :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah he is so amazing. I still have the last 10 minutes to watch when I can sit down and relax but it's pretty interesting.

Jason Carl is great here.
Food? Food? Food?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I just started it. Hunt's Point is a solid choice, making it set in the Bronx is super rad.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I like NY By Night so far. But it's less intriguing and engrossing than the first episode of LA By Night, in my opinion and the production values are definitely worse. It seemed like LABN had a practical set and while minimalistic, it was effective and did a good job of setting a vibe. NYBN is filmed on a green screen and the background is this weird modern thing that makes me think of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I don't see how it's relevant to the setting (at first I thought it would change after the nightclub. It doesn't), and we're also treated to the cast getting a green glare on the side of their faces from the green screen while the background is dark and monochrome which just accentuates how low quality the production is. They also kept the stream intermission in the Youtube upload which just seems lazy. That intermission also proudly advertises the company responsible for the production not once but twice.

It's also a bit weird and disappointing that at least three of the four characters have extremely similar personality archetypes (despite being different clans) to the characters from LA By night. They are even in the same positions on-screen as their analogues in LABN. The neonate even has a similar haircut to Annabelle, though I won't hold that against them, it's just kind of amusing when taken with the rest of the similarities.

Alex Ward is top-left (again) and is the sagely older kindred providing knowledge and advice to the neonate woman in the top right (right down to trying to help her discover her clan). Fuego is the fashionista woman and socialite (Not Toreador, but Ventrue, about as similar as two clans get) in the bottom left. Then there's Rey in the bottom right, who so far is potentially the most divergent personality and the hardest to pin down. He also comes off way louder in the mix, either because he talks louder or because production isn't balancing the audio properly, another example of worse production than LABN.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that the personalities are similar (we'll find out soon if it gets stale), but it feels weird and a little "safe" and paint-by-numbers when you consider that there's really no limits to what they could potentially do with personalities in a game like VTM.

My main take away is that I like Serif way more than I liked Annabelle after episode 1 of LABN, so that gives me some hope that I'll stick with this for the long haul, but they really need to either get rid of the green screens and/or find a production company who can do a better job of using them. The green glare is really distracting and I can'ty understand why you would use them if you don't plan on changing the background dynamically, which they don't do in E1.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
One of the things I really liked about LABN is how all of the characters were totally in character like 95% of the time. It doesn't feel like it this time. Serif and Fuego are trying way too hard to be cute, and Isaac reacts to it too much. Really, Rey is probably doing the best job of sticking to and staying in character, even when it disadvantages the character.

EDIT: Even Annabelle, as annoying as the character was, felt more consistently in character than these three. Getting big Keiko and Delilah vibes here.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

I like NY By Night so far. But it's less intriguing and engrossing than the first episode of LA By Night, in my opinion and the production values are definitely worse. It seemed like LABN had a practical set and while minimalistic, it was effective and did a good job of setting a vibe. NYBN is filmed on a green screen and the background is this weird modern thing that makes me think of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I don't see how it's relevant to the setting (at first I thought it would change after the nightclub. It doesn't), and we're also treated to the cast getting a green glare on the side of their faces from the green screen while the background is dark and monochrome which just accentuates how low quality the production is. They also kept the stream intermission in the Youtube upload which just seems lazy. That intermission also proudly advertises the company responsible for the production not once but twice.

It's also a bit weird and disappointing that at least three of the four characters have extremely similar personality archetypes (despite being different clans) to the characters from LA By night. They are even in the same positions on-screen as their analogues in LABN. The neonate even has a similar haircut to Annabelle, though I won't hold that against them, it's just kind of amusing when taken with the rest of the similarities.

Alex Ward is top-left (again) and is the sagely older kindred providing knowledge and advice to the neonate woman in the top right (right down to trying to help her discover her clan). Fuego is the fashionista woman and socialite (Not Toreador, but Ventrue, about as similar as two clans get) in the bottom left. Then there's Rey in the bottom right, who so far is potentially the most divergent personality and the hardest to pin down. He also comes off way louder in the mix, either because he talks louder or because production isn't balancing the audio properly, another example of worse production than LABN.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that the personalities are similar (we'll find out soon if it gets stale), but it feels weird and a little "safe" and paint-by-numbers when you consider that there's really no limits to what they could potentially do with personalities in a game like VTM.

My main take away is that I like Serif way more than I liked Annabelle after episode 1 of LABN, so that gives me some hope that I'll stick with this for the long haul, but they really need to either get rid of the green screens and/or find a production company who can do a better job of using them. The green glare is really distracting and I can'ty understand why you would use them if you don't plan on changing the background dynamically, which they don't do in E1.

A lot of this is because it's literally a table game. The actors actually decided on their characters and the personalities within certain bounds, like "pick one of these three clans" and whatnot. They did a Q&A about it months ago, it's not 100% scripted.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Poil posted:

Jason Carl is great here.
Food? Food? Food?
:allears: oh my gaaaaawd

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I thought it was pretty good. Ward's nicely creepy and does well in his familiar role as the more experienced mentor vampire, Serif's a lot better than Annabelle, and Rey just fuckin' kills it. Fuego's the only low point to me, because she just feels like Great Value Nelli G right now, but I'm sure that'll improve once we get to see more of the character.

I think the vibe is a bit different from LA by Night because I think that everybody in this crew but Isaac is pretty new to this. It doesn't feel like the whole "Three experienced vampires with established presences and resources teach one neonate" thing so much as Isaac getting stuck with running oversight on three neonates.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

NYBN is filmed on a green screen and the background is this weird modern thing that makes me think of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I don't see how it's relevant to the setting (at first I thought it would change after the nightclub. It doesn't), and we're also treated to the cast getting a green glare on the side of their faces from the green screen while the background is dark and monochrome which just accentuates how low quality the production is.

I talked with Joey Rassool last night (player of Rey). It's not a green screen, it's a set. The green light is from a lamp set in the center between the two tables and the green light was to simulate reflections off the East River at night, but he's no longer the lighting guy since he's playing this season, although he helped build the set, so they're still ironing out the system. It's why the lighting went red during the feeding scene, it's meant to be the mood lighting.

The characters were all picked and created by the players playing them, he picked the corporate Gangrel after seeing the example blurb in the book and loving the vibe, so he's channeling literal wolf of wall street with it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I have a question for someone wanting to play a Lasombra character in the tabletop game.

What would be the best way to describe the kind of person your character might have been as a human before they were turned?
Then what sorts of ambitions or goals could a Lasombra character have once they start their unlife?

Shadows of New York had some decent references to their powers and abilities and that their blood makes them extremely ruthless in their pursuit of power and status. What are some other examples of this manifesting during campaigns?
What are some key characteristics about a Lasombra that makes them different from Ventrue characters, besides having access to shadow powers and communication with extra dimensional beings? I want my character to have a rivalry and disdain for the Venture while still being able to differentiate them as two culturally separate clans and still being legit under the Camarilla but trying to shake things up without being a full blown Anarch.

My goal for the character I have in mind is to build a Lasombra character who was down and out, rock bottom before their Embrace, gets thrust into Camarilla politics as a total outsider and one of the only ones of their clan in the domain. Then over the course of the campaign they develop their powers in oblivion, build a good rapport with their coterie but occasionally shock and horrify everyone with the lengths and extremes they'll go to achieve a goal before reverting back to a more civilized appearance.

Basically I want my character to still have some friends, be ever striving to get stronger and take power for themselves by any means necessary and to occasionally frighten other kindred but I don't want them to have the same prim and proper attitudes of the ventrue. Its going to be a phoenix rising from the ashes kind of story where the character has to fight and strive for every good thing they get while occasionally causing extreme and often unnecessary collateral damage, having to reckon with it and sometimes make ammends, only to do it again in a fit of passion on another occasion. Like blowing up an entire building just to get rid of one person.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 7, 2022

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

I have a question for someone wanting to play a Lasombra character in the tabletop game.

What would be the best way to describe the kind of person your character might have been as a human before they were turned?
Then what sorts of ambitions or goals could a Lasombra character have once they start their unlife?

Shadows of New York had some decent references to their powers and abilities and that their blood makes them extremely ruthless in their pursuit of power and status. What are some other examples of this manifesting during campaigns?
What are some key characteristics about a Lasombra that makes them different from Ventrue characters, besides having access to shadow powers and communication with extra dimensional beings? I want my character to have a rivalry and disdain for the Venture while still being able to differentiate them as two culturally separate clans and still being legit under the Camarilla but trying to shake things up without being a full blown Anarch.

My goal for the character I have in mind is to build a Lasombra character who was down and out, rock bottom before their Embrace, gets thrust into Camarilla politics as a total outsider and one of the only ones of their clan in the domain. Then over the course of the campaign they develop their powers in oblivion, build a good rapport with their coterie but occasionally shock and horrify everyone with the lengths and extremes they'll go to achieve a goal before reverting back to a more civilized appearance.

Basically I want my character to still have some friends, be ever striving to get stronger and take power for themselves by any means necessary and to occasionally frighten other kindred but I don't want them to have the same prim and proper attitudes of the ventrue. Its going to be a phoenix rising from the ashes kind of story where the character has to fight and strive for every good thing they get while occasionally causing extreme and often unnecessary collateral damage, having to reckon with it and sometimes make ammends, only to do it again in a fit of passion on another occasion. Like blowing up an entire building just to get rid of one person.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899775 This thread might be a good place to also ask

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So given that New York by Night is a thing, they specifically mentioned that it's set between Coteries of New York and Shadows of New York. And if you want to play them then good news, both are on sale on Steam for less than $10 for the both of them!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1549347601421668354

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I want to believe, but it's hard :(

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
VtM Bloodlines 2 - Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand edition.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Angry Lobster posted:

VtM Bloodlines 2 - Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand edition.

The Talma'hera Blade was in the first game.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
vtm bloodlines 2 but instead just publish the ck3 mod as a standalone

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dick lockpicking as a skill.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Dick lockpicking as a skill.

You just have to align the tumblrs

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

"Hi I'm the Lockpicking Lawyer, and today I'll be defending myself in a public indecency trial..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fuzz posted:

"Hi I'm the Lockpicking Lawyer, and today I'll be defending myself in a public indecency trial..."

Pretty sure that's the plot of one of the many Ace Attorney games.