Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

citybeatnik posted:

TS:V are also presented as chronically underfunded and their tech can gently caress up in hilarious ways - such as taking guns that only fire at targets with lower then human body temperature on to a place where it was hot enough that the tech went "nope warm bodies can't shoot".

I do appreciate how the Abbey basically rubs their hands together in glee whenever they find a chapter of the Hunt Club. Brings to mind a bit in the Ecstatics book where they justify the left-handed paths as necessary because "what better way to fight those who commit atrocities than those who see atrocities as a sacrament."

Best compact's still The Union though.

Yeah, there's that hilarious blurb (And picture, if I recall.) where the badass black ops hunters chase a vampire into a freezer. They got him now! Except the ambient temperature is so low that whatever sensor inside their guns reads the temperature, then compares it with the the vampire's and says "Yeah, this guy is okay, alive, and is certainly not about to rip someone apart.".

Cue the soldiers pulling the trigger, nothing happening, and them presumably cursing overdesigned MIC/tech division guns before they get ripped to shreds.

Also, yeah, the Union are also great. Blue collar workers and labor unions meets hunters + hunters that have experience in mechanical labor jobs = a bunch of hunters that will look at the nearest monstrous bastard ruining their community and get together after beers to turn a bulldozer into some sort of hosed up frankendozer/killdozer monster killing machine.

Turns out that all the super strength in the world ain't going to punch through several inches of steel armor plating welded onto a construction machine. Meanwhile, it's fully capable of punching through them. :black101:

And that's if they don't just get the rest of the fella's in the local Union together to demonstrate why communal action trumps individual superpowers in the WoD's.

I think VASCU is my favorite though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait. Werewolf Earthblood is a WoD game in the same universe as Bloodlines?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Wait. Werewolf Earthblood is a WoD game in the same universe as Bloodlines?

It's based on Werewolf the Apocalypse, a White Wolf game that happens in the same world of darkness setting as Vampire the Masquerade. No idea if the games interact at all.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I skimmed the PC Gamer review and apparently you're a werewolf who rips apart all of the fracking sites of the Rotting Rapist in Chief?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTK542MJZMk

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Captain Monkey posted:

The entire point of the oWoD is that it was doomed and flawed. You can dislike it all you want, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong in my interpretation.

oWoD, to my mind, was geared towards the age of it's audience, and kind of grew up with them.

1st edition games: Young teenagers. The themes are that you're this helpless little fish in a big scary world, the structures and institutions of society are all-powerful, all-knowing, monolithic and solidly arrayed against you, but you and a bunch of like-minded friends, all rebelling in the same basic way, can fight against them while still benefitting from them, and they're kind of paternalistically trying to co-op you. 1E Mage had the Technocracy as the all-seeing panopticon that ruled the world, Vampire had the elders as secretly ruling entire countries and global industries, and so on.

2nd edition games: Late teenagers. You know what? It's not that bad. You can carve your own space out in the world. Turns out mommy and daddy fight sometimes, and you can play them against each other. The elders are just as petty as everybody else, and their authority is a lot less absolute than you thought. Elders don't run countries, but they do influence politics. The Technocracy doesn't rule the world absolutely; it just looked that way until you really started examining it. You've figured out how 'your world' works, which isn't to say the world; you're the king of high school, or you've figured out university, and you figure that's all there is to know. The world is yours to take, the elders/technocracy/whatever don't really know, but you do, because you're young, hip, and know how to use technology. Gehenna/The Apocalpyse/whatever? Sure, it's coming eventually, but people have been saying that forever, and what do they know?

Rev edition games: early adult hood. Oh poo poo, the world as you know it really is ending. The world outside really is dark, scary, unfathomable, and doesn't care about you. Suddenly nobody is helping you, and you have to sink or swim on your own. Nothing you do will change anything. It's nice to fantasize about changing the world, but at the end of the day, nothing will ever be the same, and you'll have to sacrifice your childhood, which is to say your entire life, and hope it all works out OK.

20th Anniversary games: all grown up. You know what? It wasn't that bad. The world didn't really end. No, you can't remake the world, but you can sure as poo poo work to make things better. Yeah, things suck, but that just leads to the question: what are you doing to make things better? Yes, major institutions have come and gone, there's been massive upheaval, things aren't the same, but hey, that's life, that's growth, and that's how change works.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Archonex posted:

I mean, if any company was going to come up with this as an invention it'd be Endron or whatever V5 Werewolf's equivalent is.

This is the company that measures pollution reports as a measure of success, not profit. Stuffing some 9 to 5 schmoe full of cancerous stimulants and then locking him in a closet packed tight full of other guard's coked off their gourd is probably just another day for the management.

I think what always bugged me about this setting is that the enemies are literally lifted out of a particularly bad Captain Planet episode. Pure greed as a profit motive works just fine for smashing the environment, and it’s a lot more relatable.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

I think what always bugged me about this setting is that the enemies are literally lifted out of a particularly bad Captain Planet episode. Pure greed as a profit motive works just fine for smashing the environment, and it’s a lot more relatable.

Yeah I like the implication that a non-Pentex oil fracking site would be a lower priority target despite the environmental damage.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kavak posted:

Yeah I like the implication that a non-Pentex oil fracking site would be a lower priority target despite the environmental damage.

To be fair, I do sort of recall that there is an explanation for this. The board of Pentex is headed up by a Malkavian. Wyrm corruption also tends to make you become mentally ill at the high end, from what I recall. And I don't mean normally mentally ill. I mean it will drive you nucking futs, screaming and trying to skitter up the wall, gibbering to yourself and eating your fingers sorts of crazy. Alternatively, i've misremembered it and it's the rear end in a top hat Malkavian that worships the Wyrm that is responsible. Though walking the Black Spiral Labyrinth definitely does...things to a werewolf, so :shrug:.

Seeing as how the company is basically the primary purveyor of apocalyptic agendas of the wyrm on the planet among humans, this means that ironically the Malkavian, IE: the clan that thinks madness is good is working overtime to keep these crazy bastards from self destructing and probably taking the entire company down with them.

Couple this with a heavy dose of spite at the world (Imagine, for instance, if the Koch Brothers were murderously offended that the world and life itself would proceed onwards after they passed away due to old age and tried to kill everything else via climate change.) and you have a recipe for plans that make even Captain Planet villains tell the bad guys to chill out.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 5, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh no there's an entire board of assholes leading Pentex, the Malkavian is just one of them.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What gets me is that the whole "Kill Gaia" thing has to hit the bottom line at some point- spilling so much oil is lost product and profit, blowing the entire quarter's budget on silver weapons, etc. Is there a timetable where Earth dies just before they file Chapter 11?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Kavak posted:

What gets me is that the whole "Kill Gaia" thing has to hit the bottom line at some point- spilling so much oil is lost product and profit, blowing the entire quarter's budget on silver weapons, etc. Is there a timetable where Earth dies just before they file Chapter 11?

Pentex is one of the largest, if not the largest multinational megacorps in the WoD with dozens of subsidiary companies. They have a hand in everything from pharmaceuticals to major grocery/retail chains to military aircraft/missiles. If Endron spills a bunch of oil and loses profit/product it's bad for Endron internally but for Pentex as a whole it's a minor problem since their holdings are so diversified.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Pentex is one of the largest, if not the largest multinational megacorps in the WoD with dozens of subsidiary companies. They have a hand in everything from pharmaceuticals to major grocery/retail chains to military aircraft/missiles. If Endron spills a bunch of oil and loses profit/product it's bad for Endron internally but for Pentex as a whole it's a minor problem since their holdings are so diversified.

Yeah but every single subsidiary and component does stuff like that, it has to add up at some point.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

:lol: they fridge the daughter and in cutscenes her model isn't even really part of the fomori-thing she's merged with, you can see the top band of her underwear so she's only connected below the waist if at all. This game is so dumb.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kavak posted:

I think according to W20 they're basically planning to build large glass eco-bubbles to move the executives into around the time the rest of the planet starts running out of oxygen.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

I think according to W20 they're basically planning to build large glass eco-bubbles to move the executives into around the time the rest of the planet starts running out of oxygen.

I like that, appropriately supervillain.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
considering the ice caps are literally melting and far right maga hogs are still trying to drill for oil and loosen emissions regs and trying to push propaganda that its actually the jew space lasers that are lighting the forests on fire there is no more room for subtlety in fiction

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
like rolling coal is a thing your average chud has within their budget and means it literally destroys their engine how is that not within pentex wheelhouse

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Phobophilia posted:

like rolling coal is a thing your average chud has within their budget and means it literally destroys their engine how is that not within pentex wheelhouse
JFC. That's a real thing. Live and learn.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8nZvhHcBYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8nZvhHcBYE

as expected. the werewolf rpg isnt that great or good.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Got the other werewolf game heart of the forest in the most recent humble bundle will report back.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

oWoD, to my mind, was geared towards the age of it's audience, and kind of grew up with them.

1st edition games: Young teenagers. The themes are that you're this helpless little fish in a big scary world, the structures and institutions of society are all-powerful, all-knowing, monolithic and solidly arrayed against you, but you and a bunch of like-minded friends, all rebelling in the same basic way, can fight against them while still benefitting from them, and they're kind of paternalistically trying to co-op you. 1E Mage had the Technocracy as the all-seeing panopticon that ruled the world, Vampire had the elders as secretly ruling entire countries and global industries, and so on.

2nd edition games: Late teenagers. You know what? It's not that bad. You can carve your own space out in the world. Turns out mommy and daddy fight sometimes, and you can play them against each other. The elders are just as petty as everybody else, and their authority is a lot less absolute than you thought. Elders don't run countries, but they do influence politics. The Technocracy doesn't rule the world absolutely; it just looked that way until you really started examining it. You've figured out how 'your world' works, which isn't to say the world; you're the king of high school, or you've figured out university, and you figure that's all there is to know. The world is yours to take, the elders/technocracy/whatever don't really know, but you do, because you're young, hip, and know how to use technology. Gehenna/The Apocalpyse/whatever? Sure, it's coming eventually, but people have been saying that forever, and what do they know?

Rev edition games: early adult hood. Oh poo poo, the world as you know it really is ending. The world outside really is dark, scary, unfathomable, and doesn't care about you. Suddenly nobody is helping you, and you have to sink or swim on your own. Nothing you do will change anything. It's nice to fantasize about changing the world, but at the end of the day, nothing will ever be the same, and you'll have to sacrifice your childhood, which is to say your entire life, and hope it all works out OK.

20th Anniversary games: all grown up. You know what? It wasn't that bad. The world didn't really end. No, you can't remake the world, but you can sure as poo poo work to make things better. Yeah, things suck, but that just leads to the question: what are you doing to make things better? Yes, major institutions have come and gone, there's been massive upheaval, things aren't the same, but hey, that's life, that's growth, and that's how change works.

Definitely agreed. And having been at those age groups as they were released, it resonated with me in a way bad fiction often does with nerdy teens.

And Archaeopteryx can love Lost-style two inch depth mystery box stories all they want, but I’m definitely not reading their 2 page screed about why that makes them better than me lmao.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Southpaugh posted:

Got the other werewolf game heart of the forest in the most recent humble bundle will report back.

I played through it and it's neat but it took me 80 minutes to finish a playthrough. Seems like there's some variance depending on the choices you make but I cant imagine there's more than 3-4 hours of content in it overall.

I've also played through VTM: Night Road, and I can't recommend that game enough. It's a lot more barren in it's presentation than the other WoD visual novels, but it has a fairly interesting cast of characters, and it feels like the character you build actually changes the game quite a bit. There's also a full stat, hunger and humanity systems, so it really scratched that bloodlines itch.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Make something like Night Roads with an actual art budget and I'll be as happy as a pig in poo poo.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this; I've had the mighty urge to play the original, again, recently.
Is there any meaningful difference between the GOG/Steam versions and if so which is the one I should go with? And what's the current suggested/must-have list of mods and fan-patches?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I have come across a mod for Crusader Kings 3 called Princes of Darkness. I only saw a little of it, but it seemed like a pretty interesting take on the world of darkness, since CK2/3 are about plotting and scheming and what have you. Any experience or opinions on that one? Is it a work in progress or completed? I might end up buying CK3 just for that mod some day. There is a version for CK2 also.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

SlightlyMad posted:

I have come across a mod for Crusader Kings 3 called Princes of Darkness. I only saw a little of it, but it seemed like a pretty interesting take on the world of darkness, since CK2/3 are about plotting and scheming and what have you. Any experience or opinions on that one? Is it a work in progress or completed? I might end up buying CK3 just for that mod some day. There is a version for CK2 also.

You have to feed for it, and more than half the time feeding just doesn't work so you eventually run out of blood.

I'm sure this will be fixed eventually, but as of last time I tried it (a week ago) it was inevitable.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

New Dev Update

quote:

Good morning, everyone

As you have noticed, we’ve been keeping pretty quiet for a while. With this in mind, the first piece of news we have for you is to confirm that Bloodlines 2 is still in development.

Secondly, we have made the hard decision that Hardsuit Labs will no longer be leading the development of Bloodlines 2 - which also means that we will not be releasing in 2021 as previously planned. Since we cannot at this time communicate a new release date, we've also decided to stop accepting pre-orders for the time being.

This game is very important to us and it has been an ambitious project from the very start. In order to meet our goals for it, we’ve come to the conclusion that a change is needed and, as a result, more development time is required.

We’d like to take this opportunity to honor Hardsuit Labs for their efforts and thank them for their hard work on the project. The studio has done a tremendous job in laying the foundations for the game and we hope that you, the community, will also appreciate their contribution to Bloodlines 2.

We’re thankful for your continuous support throughout the game’s development. We understand how important this is to you, and we’d love to share more with you. As soon as we can, we’ll let you know what the future development team of Bloodlines 2 will look like.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HOLY poo poo AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH WHAT THE gently caress AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

That seems bad

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Vampire: Bloodlines II - Now more of a disastrous development than Bloodlines 1

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gonna need to change the thread title soon.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
This game is going to be the duke nukem forever of janky rpgs

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

"yeah we're starting over" isn't the best impression to give

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
This game is now a sunk cost and they should just kill it already.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Time to put all their eggs in the Vampire - Swansong basket that's still in development.
At least an episodic Telltale-esque game on a smaller scale sounds like it has less scope to gently caress up. I've mentioned in the thread before that The Council by the same developers was an interesting game that shat itself midway through so there's the possibility for the developers to improve.

Boogle posted:

This game is now a sunk cost and they should just kill it already.

The revival of the old WoD is kinda that as a whole, yeah, it's been a debacle at almost every turn.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 23, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
what the gently caress

they don't even know who is developing this???

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The game is in development but there's nobody developing the game.

Cool.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bewilderment posted:

The revival of the old WoD is kinda that as a whole, yeah, it's been a debacle at almost every turn.

That's not my impression at all. Sure the V5 thing was a petty high profile disaster but that was years ago now. People liked the New York and Heart of the Forest VN's. Some of the Onyx books are very popular.

I dunno about sales or revenue, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My immediate reaction during the announcement of "why the gently caress are they giving this to Hardsuit Labs" turned out to be the right one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
On their Discord, a Paradox guy is saying they can't talk about which dev is picking it up until all the legal details are sorted.