Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MonsieurChoc posted:

V Rising looks interesting, but what's with the expensive DLCs?

Whales will pay anything for cosmetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

yeah they don't look like actual game content, so it's ignorable

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MonsieurChoc posted:

According to their page on the website it's for supporting game development after release/showing support to the devs.

Either way, it's an ignorable cosmetic. You'll get better stuff in game.

Edit: Also, raided a town. Was pretty neat. They put way more effort than any other survival game gets in setting the scene when assaulting this one town too.

Some guardsman raised the alarm once I was spotted and started running through the streets ringing a bell. Civilians were screaming for help and trying to find a cubby hole to hide in that I wouldn't see when the guard with the bell ran through, civilian militia formed up and got into formation before rushing past the guy with the bell to try and slow me down, a guard was running through the streets yelling for everyone to get inside while I was cleaving through the other town militia, etc, etc.

Just the whole nine yards of gothic horror on display culminating in me storming the abbey on the hill and having a slugfest with the town priest who used his faith as a weapon, Salem's Lot style, to repulse my character until a vampire hunter could arrive to drive me off. :black101:

They really did some work setting the tone. Suffice to say that i'm having a ball so far with this, even though the start was really slow and put me off at first.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 19, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Question how the PVP works in V Rising. Are there only 4 people you can encounter online at once or something.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question how the PVP works in V Rising. Are there only 4 people you can encounter online at once or something.

From what I've read in reviews/forums, it seems like 4 is the maximum group size, but server populations are a lot higher.

People are claiming that multiple groups of 4 people are teaming up and ganking people which is exactly what I feared and expected. It's what all these games tend to turn into.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
V Rising is a lot like Conan exiles or rust insofar as pvp servers go. It is not a solo friendly experience, but you can just play alone if that's your jam.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr Scumbag posted:

From what I've read in reviews/forums, it seems like 4 is the maximum group size, but server populations are a lot higher.

People are claiming that multiple groups of 4 people are teaming up and ganking people which is exactly what I feared and expected. It's what all these games tend to turn into.

Yeah, I'm just playing in a solo game because gently caress that noise.

Swansong news: This is looking 100% like a fancy interactive novel. Yeah you move around but the settings don't even have a listing for combat buttons. Even LA Noir had some shoot out sections. I'm only about twenty minutes in,though.

edit: If you're planning to invert your y axis like a normal person, HOLD in the apply button.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 19, 2022

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Soonmot posted:

Swansong news: This is looking 100% like a fancy interactive novel. Yeah you move around but the settings don't even have a listing for combat buttons. Even LA Noir had some shoot out sections. I'm only about twenty minutes in,though.

I''d recommend PVE. If you want I can invite you to the official server i'm on? There is little people can do to grief you so far that i've seen. Just make sure to put palisades around your dungeon heart so no one can roll up with a key to destroy it. Also be sure to keep it stocked with blood essence, which isn't hard to do at all since you'll be swimming in the stuff.

Also, I just discovered that bosses can leave their initial spawn and go on patrol to raise hell in the world at large. The Ravager or whatever his name is decided to leave his tiny graveyard to start roaming around. Which was a problem since I ran into him and he was rolling around with two summoners that can summon swarms of skeletons.

Also, apparently the haunted iron mine had a siege laid to it by the townspeople. No less than four bosses/heroes assaulted the place, with the town priest I mentioned before holding a defensive action at the gates while a holy archer went inside to clean the place out and two vampire hunters showed up to just ruin my day through bad luck.

It got to the point where I actually said "Are you making GBS threads me!?" when I kept dodging one only to find one or two more come seemingly out of nowhere to try and kill my character who was under geared to fight them during the day with all of it's navigational hazards.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 19, 2022

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

There are three types of PvP server: Standard PvP with up to 4-player clans/groups, Duo PvP with 2-player clans/groups, and Full Loot PvP which is also up to 4-player clans/groups but full looting of equipped items on death. Normally when you die on the Standard/Duo server you'll just drop your bag's contents/take an equipment durability hit, but your armor/weapons/tools are safe. Server population is max of 50 by default. There aren't any loading screens so you're all on the same, big map concurrently.

I play on one of the Duo servers as a solo and even there it's mostly duos/mostly about getting ganked. But it's not too bad.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Soonmot posted:

edit: If you're planning to invert your y axis like a normal person, HOLD in the apply button.

Swansong is from the same people who made The Council. It was always going to be The Walking Dead but with some light RPG/conversation mechanics. You won't be getting into any shootouts.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but I didn't think a full priced game would have zero action. The graphics are not what I've come to expect on the ps5, even from games that were developed for the ps4, lip synching seems to be off and hair textures are weird enough that I notice it. I'm going to go back to V Rising.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Playing Swansong now, aside from some occasionally texture popping at times I'm digging it.

Except the way they pronounced Primogen and Malkavian. What the absolute gently caress.

Maul-Kove-ian :thunk: what the gently caress

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
PRIME o gen

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

joylessdivision posted:

Maul-Kove-ian :thunk: what the gently caress
For a made up word it's probably more accurate-ish, like in Altered Carbon where the name Kovacs is pronounced "Co-Vatch"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

For a made up word it's probably more accurate-ish, like in Altered Carbon where the name Kovacs is pronounced "Co-Vatch"

I've always heard it/said it as Mall-cave-ian. It just struck me as extremely off when I first heard it. PRIME O GEN was also pretty weird

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

joylessdivision posted:

I've always heard it/said it as Mall-cave-ian. It just struck me as extremely off when I first heard it. PRIME O GEN was also pretty weird

Mal-kay-vee-an and Prim o gen. Although I think the only time I've ever heard them spoken was in Bloodlines.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LlJo6vAfN0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rap Game Goku posted:

Mal-kay-vee-an and Prim o gen. Although I think the only time I've ever heard them spoken was in Bloodlines.

I feel like that the way listed in I think Revised how to say them. It’s probably why they were pronounced that way in Bloodlines.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like that the way listed in I think Revised how to say them. It’s probably why they were pronounced that way in Bloodlines.

As Caine intended :colbert:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

We had one person in our ttrpg group who would say prim O gen and we made fun of them for it because that's wrong and WEIRD!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rap Game Goku posted:

LA by Night had one character explain to a new vampire that all these terms are unbelievably ancient and that, accordingly, they're all pronounced in all sorts of ways depending on where people are from and what their native language was and who taught who the proper phrases and whatnot, and I'm okay with that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yep. Prime-o-gen sounds weird. There's a super odd pronounciation of kine in there later too. But I'm quite positive on it, thus far. There's some serious eurojank going on, but some of the things they do, especially with the Malkavian character, are really cool.

Also, while the graphics as a whole are not good, I really really love how they render the fangs.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I bet there are a load of incredibly obnoxious elder vamps who use archaic words / pronunciations in everyday speech and correct anyone who doesn't. Also probably wannabe elders who copy them or even make up their own weird linguistic idiosyncracies to sound fancier.

Is age impersonation a thing with vampires? The way Lacroix talks about being in Napoleon's army and Nines talks about the great depression in Bloodlines makes me think there are definitely vampiric nobodies out there telling anyone less experienced than they are that they're hundreds of years old and were present at every major historical event. I wouldn't even be surprised if Lacroix's fancy lad backstory was partially made up to make him seem more important, although I don't think there's anything in the game to back that up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A Malkavian who absolutely believes they're 300 years older than they are.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Randallteal posted:

I bet there are a load of incredibly obnoxious elder vamps who use archaic words / pronunciations in everyday speech and correct anyone who doesn't. Also probably wannabe elders who copy them or even make up their own weird linguistic idiosyncracies to sound fancier.

Is age impersonation a thing with vampires? The way Lacroix talks about being in Napoleon's army and Nines talks about the great depression in Bloodlines makes me think there are definitely vampiric nobodies out there telling anyone less experienced than they are that they're hundreds of years old and were present at every major historical event. I wouldn't even be surprised if Lacroix's fancy lad backstory was partially made up to make him seem more important, although I don't think there's anything in the game to back that up.

Part of a Harpy's job is basically mocking people for saying things wrong I think, so yes.

And age impersonation is absolutely a thing. Usually in smaller domains when some newcomer rolls in that's just a little stronger than everyone around them. LaCroix would be mocked back in the old world for how young he is but in the new world he can flex a bit.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
After reading that Polygon article, I have to say I'm super-turbo-hyped for Swansong. Overwrought soap opera vampire politicking sounds like exactly my kind of jam :allears:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Yep. Prime-o-gen sounds weird. There's a super odd pronounciation of kine in there later too. But I'm quite positive on it, thus far. There's some serious eurojank going on, but some of the things they do, especially with the Malkavian character, are really cool.

Also, while the graphics as a whole are not good, I really really love how they render the fangs.

Does it do the malk as well as Bloodlines did? Or is it all about how crazy they are?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Randallteal posted:

Both of these paragraphs tie back to the founder of the Camarilla in an interesting way.

The first thing is that Hardestadt the Elder was from Bavaria, so even though Camarilla is, in the real world, a 19th century Spanish word, it's plausible that a more Germanic pronunciation may have been used by the founder.

Those more familiar with the lore might be saying "But Hardestadt the Elder was diablerized in 1395, and the Camarilla was founded in 1493."

His childe, Hardestadt the Younger impersonated his sire, an extreme version of age impersonation.

My thinking about the pronunciation is that vampirism grants superhuman physical abilities, but cognitively there's nothing really special. The powerful Baron who pronounces Camarilla with a rolling ⟨r⟩ was probably a doofus goat herder in who'd never seen a book when they were embraced, and they've been overcompensating ever since. It's the vampire equivalent to habañero (ñ intended).

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Does it do the malk as well as Bloodlines did? Or is it all about how crazy they are?

Leysha the Malkavian is a good character from what I've seen so far (opening chapter + her first solo chapter) and her daughter playing a role in things has been interesting.

This is spoiler stuff about her first chapter:
Having a kid vampire around is definitely a Malkavian thing to do, but I actually really dug the social combat moments between mother and daughter as Leysha tries to control her own beast as well as her daughters.

Also good job me for walking into the trap that her premonition warned about

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a thread for V Rising?
I'm absolutely loving it so far.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

This is basically the one-stop bloodsucker video game with sometimes bonus random white wolf / onyx path lore discussion thread at this point

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fair enough.

V Rising is hella good! I really love the way the systems fold around eachother and it's a hoot, even on SP.

It's like an open world Diablo with base building and more!

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

There's talk in the survival games thread about V Rising as well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's Prime-o-gen, malk-avian, and Cama-ree-ya.

Everyone else is wrong sorry.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
cerality

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blood rhymes with brood

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

V Rising really looks like something I could dump a ton of time into.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
already in the prologue in Swansong are neat implications, Emem is 70 years older than the Herald (and same generation!), but she is helplessly outclassed

and then you wonder why Emem is so cocky, yet has so few points to spend, and come to the realizaion that she must have spent points into things the game doesn't simulate

yes, I posit that Emem is a combat monster with several 5s in melee, guns, and martial arts etc. :v:

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Captain Monkey posted:

It's Prime-o-gen, malk-avian, and Cama-ree-ya.

Everyone else is wrong sorry.

I want to find the short video where they got wod staff to pronounce tzmisce

Randallteal posted:

Is age impersonation a thing with vampires?

yes, also occasionally old ones pretending they're young as part of hiding their identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bloodhunt chat, i think the game flows super well in solo, as the extra life lets you play risky to try and secure buffs for later on.

I also think they straight up need to delete enforcer and retool it. loving flesh of marble immunity that you can reload/cancel by shooting with a silence dash that does damage while also slowing everyone near you?

Lol, no wonder enforcers win 80% of all matches.