Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Let us play Sabbat :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Let me be Sabbat you coward game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

User posted:

Clutch those pearls. Heaven forbid bloodsucking ancient monsters be portrayed with unwoke beliefs.

Uh, no. You're missing the point here. The issue is not that the vampires themselves have quote unquote unwoke beliefs, the problem is that entire Clans are racist stereotypes. And that those Clans were written by people, they aren't naturally occurring racist stereotypes or some poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This thread is a case study in why the #1 problem with the World of Darkness is the fact that the fanbase are some of the worst troglodytes on earth. Just absolutely insufferable edgelords who never mentally matured beyond the 90s.

Much like Swedracula really.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

But what does that have to do with the reveal? Why would one be painted in later? Therese and Jeanette were actual sisters as children, Jeanette wasn't just a figment of Therese's imagination. Therese killed her father and sister, they literally spell it out in the game. It's just a family portrait painted before Therese killed her father and sister.

I don't believe so no.

Therese was sexually abused by her father. Jeanette was never real. Disassociative identity disorder in media typically correlates to childhood abuse, like Therese had. Jeanette is an invented persona to be the recipient of that abuse that "deserves" it. To disassociate from the abuse.

She definitely killed her father but there was never a Jeanette.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 24, 2019

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm genuinely sad they made the Sabbat just up and leave to the Middle East, they were one of the more interesting parts of the setting.

Camarilla power struggles are all well and good but they get seriously old. Anarchs lack a compelling identity and message. Meanwhile the Sabbat's hell crusade to destroy the antediluvians and their commitment to alternate codes of morality (rather than Humanity) like in Paths of Blood made for fun campaigns.

Seriously though I'm sick of the Camarilla :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Everybody does.

What's the dumbest clan anyway?

Lasombra are fukken great. :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not really into the “all hubs all the time” choice. An open world by any other name…

Besides, gating areas allows for a controlled reveal of the world from a conceptual standpoint so you’re not inundating the player with context and giving them their one hundred millionth lore codex to ignore.

I mean "all hubs available at all times" also describes KOTOR 1 and 2. Would you describe those as open world games?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

You imagine nobody read the script before they built a game from it? Like they just threw the first draft to the programmers and asset creators?

Yeah? It's not that unusual.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

As someone implied that there are people in this thread playing the game for the first time, I'll spoiler this. It's about the Voerman sisters:

Were there two of them originally? I go back and forth on this. Based on what Therese says, it's possible Jeanette was always an aspect of her personality, but it could equally be read that she killed her father and her sister when she caught them having sex (because only she was allowed to have sex with her father :barf:) and manifested Jeanette, her murdered sister, as an aspect of her personality then.

Most likely

There was only ever one Voerman. Disassociative identity disorder is strongly linked to abuse as a child, you disassociate from the abuse, it's happening to someone else. Someone who deserves it. Tourette checks all the boxes. There was most likely never a sister. Just a single girl, sexually abused by her father, trying to find a way to cope until she snapped.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Avasculous posted:

I haven't read any V5 stuff, but my (admittedly fuzzy) recollection of V3 stuff is that:

-They're unequivocally weaker than other vampires, and mechanically limited to very low level Disciplines
-The spontaneous Discipline thing just reflects that their blood is so dilute, their powers aren't even stable/reliable.

So they might be slightly super-fast one day and slightly super-strong instead the next day, but they're never going to be elder-strong or elder-fast except during the Gehenna thing when everyone was getting occasionally supercharged.

But maybe this was expanded on in one of the sourcebooks.

Ok, well at least they're calling them something new.

Well, now I'm just mad that they're not letting us start the game with no vampire powers except gender swapping.

No, you remember correctly. In earlier iterations of VtM there was a big to do about Thin Bloods maybe possibly posing a legitimate threat but the fluff and mechanics never followed through in any serious way. DivineCoffee is articulating ideas that were PRESENT but not executed on in any way shape or form.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Really I like most of the V5 lore changes except for the part about the Sabbat 100% loving off to the middle east. Removing them entirely from play is a disappointing waste, and it sounds like the writers just weren't sure what to do with them. The Camarilla becoming more of a reactionary gated community and abandoning their attempts to present themselves as the default is cool, escalating war with the Anarchs is cool, the Second Inquisition is rad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Well it isn't necessarily 100% of the Sabbat, but the entirety of the organization reveres Caine and hates the Antediluvian as Childr that devoured the Second Generation and Betrayed their originator. They are the part of the initial Anarch Revolt that didn't want to make peace with the Elders ever, the part that hated any trappings of control by anything that isn't Caine. Because Caine's coming back and will gently caress everyone's poo poo and we need to prove our loyalty to him, not elders, societies or kine through a Masquerade that denies OUR heritage and who WE really are! We need to eat the Antediluvians, assume their power and be the true benefactors of Gehenna!

So you know, when an Antideluvian actually woke the gently caress up, how are you gonna keep the zealous and the power hungry from not marching to the middle east where powerful vibes are coming from that feel just like Zapathasura? Same as the elders of the Camarilla that are finding themselves drawn there as well. The blood calls Kindred and they answer.

However, that doesn't mean the Jihad against the Camarillia is ended. Just that, something more important to their beliefs and cause has happened to overshadow their oldest enemy.

I mean that's kind of justifying it from an in lore perspective, which I don't care about because I'm looking at it from a structural perspective of "why was it written that way in the first place" and I think for the most part the whole middle east shtick thing is the weakest part of the V5 lore changes and Zapathasura never needed to happen at all really :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I believe there are no clans in the game.

You believe wrong. They've repeatedly said that, while you start as a Thin Blood, through some currently unknown method you join a Clan pretty early on and that there will be additional playable Clans post release.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

alansmithee posted:

There's also a bunch left over who never joined the Sabbat (Montano comes to mind as a major one) who are with the Camarilla, but yeah they seem to be becoming more prominent. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they just eventually write out the Sabbat entirely with whatever war/battle is going on in the middle east now in V5.

That seems to be the direction they’re going sadly.

I have fond memories of Paths of Blood :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I feel like these lore dumps would have been absolutely fascinating if I could figure out wtf you're trying to say half the time.

The english in that one is super mangled but what they're getting at is:

Lasombra Elders are a peculiar case of defection from the Sabbat to the Camarilla, because no one really trusts them, but they also can't practically speaking turn them DOWN either. They're too much of a boon to say no to.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't know that there's a Vampire clan that isn't some shade of social darwinism.

(But yes)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

I'm not a fan of it either because this thread has turned into Reddit with people regurgitating pages of WoD lore that has just about nothing to do with Bloodlines.

Any goon wanna volunteer to create a WoD lore thread so we can spare this one?

So that you can talk about all the subject matter there is to talk about for this game such as

And

Face it my dudes this is basically just an OWoD Vampire appreciation station at this point precisely BECAUSE there's nothing else to talk about. If you wanna talk about Bloodlines 1, be the change you want to see in the world.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

The issue is that people bookmark this thread and expect to see new information on the game when there's +20 new posts, instead they're getting thread-shits by some goons who can't stick to the WoD thread specifically designed for this purpose.

It's like any LOTR game, people don't give a poo poo about how much middle-earth lore you know, they just want to talk about new ways to stab orcs in the game.

Yeah except the opposite of all that, because the people who care about this game are exactly the kind of people who want to just shoot the poo poo about the insane metaplot lmao.

You'd have better luck pissing upwind man, maybe roll a stone wheel up an impossibly steep hill, any of those sound more productive than what you're doing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I think they should ditch Ventrue (for the initial five) and go Lasombra. They're close, but different enough, you know?

This is my take. They've talked a lot about how they want to pick the most distinct Vampire Clans but...to be completely honest Ventrue and Toreador have a lot of thematic overlap. And Ventrue have a very passive/dull Discipline set.

Lasombra gets you a lot of the same thematic/gameplay elements of Ventrue, the Dominate capable leader, plus shadow magic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TheNamedSavior posted:

Daily Mail is known for being racist old people propaganda that claimed we didn't come from africa.

Just sayin.

Check their rap sheet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

So, the Anarchs then?

Ehhh kinda? The Pioneers and Baron factions both seem to be different flavors of Anarchs.

Doesn’t look like there’s really anybody analogous to the Bloodlines 1 Anarchs in terms of ideology as yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Hard to predict, but I almost feel the opposite impression. By splitting them up it means you can do that. If it was just "Clan Nosferatu" then it really wouldn't make sense having a Ventrue suddenly join the ranks. But since its "The Unseen", it excuses it.

Look, we're THE UNSEEN okay? Just because 90% of us are Nos doesn't mean we're clan-affiliated!

Yeah if anything it kinda seems like Clan is way LESS important in this city.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Is that the chick you turn into your blood thrall or whatever? The advantages of having a human be so slavishly devoted to you seems pretty obvious. The thing I hated was you couldn't save her the second time, you just kind of look down at her corpse and give her a JC Denton "what a shame" and move on. I was really hoping for more development on that front, she basically hangs around your slum and brings you delivery food one time. You can also be really mean to her, like, I insulted her appearance and next time I saw her she was wearing tiny panties and a small t-shirt. Felt skeevy. Maybe that's just the kind of vampire I am naturally but I would've been making myself a little army of thralls. Seems easy, give them a little bit of blood now and then. Blood that I just jack from random rich douchebags?

Speaking of, you should gain humanity for feeding to death rich people who should be getting the guillotine anyway. I proudly took my first humanity hit feeding on that rich guy after bilking him for all his cash.

The fact that you cannot save Heather the second time is the point of her character. Keeping her around is an irresponsible lovely thing to do. The actual cool and good thing is to save her the first time then cut her loose.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Magil of Shadow posted:

Not if you're playing the Plus patch, however. There's a dialogue choice to command her to stay indoors after she mentions feeling like she was being watched. You miss out on the body armor she gives you, but it becomes available to purchase from Mercurio after the Sabbat mission that would have normally ended in her death.

One of many reasons why the Plus patch is bad yes. Utterly missing the point of a story.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Poil posted:

"I'll tie her fake eyelashes to her rear end hair and bowl her rear end into a car compactor! Demon whore!"
"..., I'd go over there right now and rip him a new wizard chute - Magic missile casting motherfucker!"

Damsel has the absolute best lines :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

Sure but what does that have to do with this vampire videogame, are the devs located in Seattle or something? What it got to do with the story?

The game takes place in Seattle.

Regardless it’s too late for a major rewrite.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Wait sorry I know this has been covered but what the hell is the Sheriff? And there will be another one of whatever he is in the new game?

Nagaloper. Weird offshoot Tzimisce Clan in Africa. Probably not.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

mostly cause Damsel is kinda a jerk

Yeah but she's an entertaining jerk

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Speaking of secret worlds, how well did The Secret World do? It was nearly the World of Darkness: Mage MMO.

It was a good game but how well did it do? Extremely not very.

Too much launch jank, too niche, too little post launch support. MMOs are mostly a dead genre for good reason. Few MMOs can survive one of those things let alone three.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Anything short of derailing the game to go on Damsel's Wild Adventure to Destroy Capitalism counts as loving her up imo :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Honestly despite the terrible assholes associated with the development of V5 I think most of the setting level changes in V5 do a good job of their stated objectives (shaking up an ossified setting so the player characters have more room to Actually Matter without resorting to full stop apocalypticism).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

I can't remember if it was a fan story or not but it basically involved a vampire being caught on a thermal camera and the government(UK I think ?) freaking the gently caress out at the revelations vampires are real and hold considerable power in society and immediately investing hard into kill squads with phosphorus rounds and installing thermal cameras everywhere while using it's considerable power to hack into basic rear end vampire sites to hunt them down.

No that's essentially what happened in V5. The Second Inquisition involves world wide governments running vampire elders asses down like animals. Schrecknet was blown wide open, the UK is a total no go zone, the main Tremere Chantry got a hellfire rocket crammed up its rear end and the whole chain of blood fealty is broken now for a lot of Tremere, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Lol cmon guys, ropekid isn't gonna potentially burn bridges in the industry that he works in with baseless speculation just because goons ask him to

We're shitposting here, not making actual asks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

But anyway what Ropekid should do is make a second SA account that coincidentally has the exact same avatar but with a photoshopped ridiculous Pink Panther moustache, and then post his baseless speculation under that flawless incognito disguise. Josh Clouseau.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

How many excuses and cries of ‘other people’s fault’ does a person get though?

Game making is a highly collaborative enterprise so uh

Somewhere between zero and many? There is no hard rule, I don’t know why you think there would be one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

We don’t need to “know” to make some pretty damned informed guesses. Signs aren’t looking good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Seriously what the gently caress is going on over there

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HBS makes actually good games so yes, they should have.

But on the other hand I'd rather not inflict the Vampire videogame curse on HBS they're good people who don't deserve that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Insert a Name Here posted:

I've never been sure; is this a d20 sort of game or is it hp/mana/abilities?

Neither? It's d10/Storyteller based, which is the biggest single competitor paradigm to d20.