Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Thank frick this is coming to ps4 because there’s no way it would run on my nine year old MacBook and if any game would tempt me to build a new pc, it’s a Bloodline sequel. I am hyped beyond hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

Mages are assholes and should just be let to explode from hubris. Although I'm not aware of the interaction in nWoD.

Does anyone remember why exactly the pre Tremere mages even bothered becoming vampires back in the dark ages? Seems like mages are several magnitudes of power greater than your average vampire and can be functionally immortal with limited effort.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

YaketySass posted:

I think that's more the domain of Koldunic sorcery.

Koldunic sorcery is the one the clan had due to its relationship with the entity that lived in a mountain of their homeland, right? Then Vicissitude is what you get instead when you’re infected by the virus Tzimisce turned himself into?

I’m kinda thinking about running a game for the first time in 15 years because of this announcement. All the old useless trivia is beginning to wake up.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The Changeling posted:

Redemption had no demons because DtF came out much later than VtMR did.

Down: To gently caress

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

communism bitch posted:

Didn't Tzimisce earth-meld itself into the New York sewer system or something like that?

I think he more or less became a far ranging vampiric fungal network, as well as the disease that causes vicissitude in his clan, and because of that can take over anyone who has “learned” the discipline.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

I have some bad news about the Baali.

If I remember correctly, Saulot is more reviled among Kuejin than most western vampires because he came over as a mystical style weeaboo sex tourist, ganked a bunch of ancient secret knowledge, then left a sect of completely mental vampire satanists when he effed off back to the west.

And he's the good one.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Somebody on Reddit made a thread asking about the supernatural population of oWoD
https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiteWolfRPG/comments/bhfhul/actual_global_population_of_kindred_in_wod/

Anybody know about this?

I remember when I was playing Bloodlines I challenged the entire justification for the Masquerade. Wars are not about tanks and infantry anymore, numbers are not so vital. Vampires, with centuries of experience and many exotic abilities, could surely make use of technology to beat humans.

A variety of counterarguments were mustered against me, not least of which was how apparently in the game itself during Gehenna or whatever humans kicked the poo poo out of vamps, I believe killing an entire clan leadership with a bomb?
Also it isn't just Vampires vs. humans. All the other beings in existence make a vamp victory impossible.

I'm coming from Warhammer and tried to bring that mindset here, I guess. Sadly, Vamps are not the Forces of Chaos or even the Tau.

Both the Camarilla and the Sabbat are controlled by old, clueless, disproportionally powerful vampires who don’t really understand anything beyond maintaining their personal comfort and traditions, Cammies have their faux Great Society and Sabbat have Dark Catholicism. Anarchs would be the next biggest group and they’re relatively small, not too organized and are looking to not get nixxed by the Camarilla and the Sabbat. In this way wod is a reflection of our own dying world; we could get a lot done if we were t so bad at getting things done.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Crabtree posted:

And then you'd also have to deal with mages who may or may not profit from this

I was actually just thinking, wouldn’t vampires coming out and using their powers to gently caress with people shift the Consensus to the degree that Mages would have a ton more freedom to act, so long as they made it look like they were vampires when they did their thing?

Then if werewolves came out into the open to oppose the with all their powers mages would be even more empowered and mostly left alone by werewolves. Basically mages would end up winning the day no matter what if the Consensus shifted enough that they didn’t have to worry about Paradox hate loving them for creating anything larger than an eerie coincidence.

Im thinking it actually benefits vampires for mundane reality to stay the way it is. You have a potential opposing force with limitless power who is kneecapped by you not doing anything.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Being about actually preying on people and the relationship they have with humanity.

This, in comparison, is all just conspiracy circle jerk. You could replace "Vampires" with "Aliens" and almost none of it would change. oWoD has more in common with Art Bell then anything else.

Well... yeah. It's a world of darkness, not world of vampires. All sorts of weird poo poo is interacting.

You're also getting the "season ten" view of things. Things are always cooler when you're experiencing the small story in the big world full of mystery. By season ten there's no mystery and too much explanation and you know way too much about everything and the revelations were all kinda bad in retrospect.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

I feel like it would be cool as hell for two weeks and then the routine of staying out all night + no food , sex or friends would wear you down.

Although I guess if I was still a teenager working in a lovely warehouse I'd take that deal.

I like the idea of powernapping for a couple decades whenever I got too bored of the scene, then waking up to see what's new. eat some fascists, gently caress around, get bored, got to bed, wake up in the future, eat whatever the future's new fascists are, gently caress around, get bored, repeat. as long as it was me and my wife I could probably make it at least a thousand years before I started looking for someone to put me down, or I was so deranged that it wouldn't matter anyhow.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

I chuckled at Cross then thought nothing more of it. It's a silly reference. I genuinely don't get why it's a big deal.

This is part of process of goon love, just let it happen. Two years from now there will be people talking in the thread, still complaining either about the game and/or its source materials, still dropping hundreds of hours into playing and/or modding it.

Also some dipshit will be making posts like mine, trying to be above it.

Yeah, I know where I fit in all of this.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

lol OP, you dingus

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mortons stork posted:

Toreadors in the Sabbat definitely do not have a romantic view of the world, unless you include 'savage and creative methods of torture, and continuous refinement and research in the subject' as a subset of the Romantic movement.

Sabbat are way more Ballardian than Romantic. Pure Darwinist anarchy in the streets being loosely held together by Right To Rule Catholicism fetishists and their body mod pals.

In a very American sense the Camarilla are predacious Democrats/Neoliberals and the Sabbat are the Dork Enlightenment.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

As a fan of Changeling the Lost I always feel doing Changelingchat has an air of being pretentious as gently caress but it doesn’t have poo poo on Magechat

Is nwod changeling the one where the true fae are more like terrifying alien intelligences who will kidnap you, completely screw up your life and twist your very essence into knots just by being near them? Then after you overcome all sorts of great challenges to free yourself and they eventually come after you, you more or less find out that that was part of the plan, because a legitimate challenge to one of their aspects would make for a good story, maybe a new title. Like, all your suffering and achievements are little more than a pastime for the gods.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah, basically. The True Fae are fascinated but humanity but are so alien you can’t really attribute human understandings of right and wrong to them (for a human this translates to incomprehensible insane cruelty). If you do escape back through the Hedge not only are you part fae at this point but because Arcadia is completely up to the whim of the Gentry time is all hosed up there. So you could be a child when you’re kidnapped, escape 20 years later but you can’t go back to your family because for them maybe like a month has passed at most. There’s no set passage of time in Arcadia. On top of that the Gentry leave behind a little security deposit if you do manage to escape in the form of a Fetch that is your double they crafted together from basically trash and fae magic. The Fetch will range from either being such a perfect double it actually does believe it is you to a raging psychopath that has demolished your life with your family and friends so you don’t even want your life back, it really depends on your particular Keeper’s mood. But the Fetch exists to purposely isolate you back on earth so you’re more likely to return to the Hedge and thus more likely to fall back into your Keeper’s clutches and as an alarm system because the Fetch will 99% tell it’s creator it saw you if you

I liked that setting idea a lot, and also the concept that True Fae are like IT, insofar as they can be traditional looking Fae Folk, a cluster of lights, a pack of goblins, an entire kingdom, a house, an enchanted object, grey aliens, a chimerical nightmare, etc, all at once and no two Fae are alike. It makes for a lot of good opportunities for weird stories and difficult to grasp motives.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

The Lasombra have a real "the strongest have the right to rule, and we're the strongest or else we die" thing going. Their revised Clanbook is over of the best.

They also introduced the whole dark Catholicism/chilling adventures of Sabrina style motif to the Sabbat, which is awesome, both when taken seriously by the upper echelons, and sarcastically by street level punks.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Is the The Council actually any good?

This.

EDIT: also, if it turns out it is good it looks like it's on deep discount on PS4 if you buy the episodes individually instead of getting the season pass plus episode 1.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 15, 2019

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

UrbicaMortis posted:

They've already confirmed brujah, tremere and now toreador. There's only five at launch, so only two unconfirmed. I think one will be ventrue. My other guess would be Gangrel but since they've announced there's going to be a werewolf themed dlc, it seems likely they'll be in that. Malk I assume will also be dlc.

Maybe it will be nossie then or perhaps they skip them and use lasombra instead to avoid the sewer problem.

Lasombra would be good for stealth and striking looking powers, so that’s not a bad bet. I’m kinda thinking about it as if they’re picking these clans because they can be fit into generic d&d style rpg classes. We now have the fighter, the mage and the bard, more or less, so a rogue makes sense, especially one that looks human since that makes it easier to create generic base scenarios involving npcs for everyone. Not sure what the fifth clan would be in my class model.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

YaketySass posted:

The rogue class is definitely Nos or Malk business, Lasombra are more like Tremere with capital-D Darkness instead of blood for their magic tricks.

True enough, I was thinking more how they would make the powers work in game if that d&d class thing i came up with is close to whatever internal design choices are shaping the game. Enveloping in shadows, not showing up in security cameras, etc.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Also is The Council $20 worth of good? If you buy all episodes separately on ps4 right now you can get the complete game for that price. Conceptually it sounds good, but the fact that I haven’t heard of it and it’s been out long enough to have all episodes drop make me pause.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Grout is a big reason I'm not even convinced the Camarilla is more ethical than the Sabbat.

They're good neoliberals\dems. Keep how hosed up you are more or less under wraps, be valuable to those in power and you're good.

The Sabbat revel in being monsters. They're the alt right, basically.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Fuzz posted:

So I've been playing VAMPYR all weekend and I gotta say, I'm digging it.

It's most definitely NOT VtM adjacent and sorta feels out its own weird little niche in terms of how vampires (yeah, gently caress keeping up that spelling) work, but I'm really digging it. The things it has in common with Bloodlines:

Janky combat that's hardly fluid and polished but still manages to be fun
Really good NPC characters and personalities
Lots of side quests
Mostly great voice acting
Fetch quests
Eating rats

Stuff that's new/different:

Feeding is 100% fatal
There are only named NPCs to feed on, and they're mostly interconnected to the various regions/each other
Killing NPCs actually causes some (minor) changes in the storyline
Main storyline DOESN'T feature any fetch quests

Things it does better than the Witcher:
Doing an autopsy in a game via menus and having it both be interesting and actually factually accurate

Speaking as a physician with a personal interest in medical history/history in general, I'm probably a little biased but I REALLY dig the setting and the fact that the protagonist is a vampire doctor. He's smart, relatable, not whiny, and actually pretty great. His VA is straight up awesome. The game itself is also surprisingly accurate to period medical practice, the crafting of medicines aside, that part is totally made up poo poo other than the compounds being used were all really commonly used in that period. Don't want to spoil much, but there's a point where you do some surgery and it's also not egregious and stupid. They also heavily cover concepts of medical thought, ethics, techniques, etc of the period... not crazy in detail, but what stuff is there is relatively accurate.

The game drips atmosphere, and if you like the idea of wandering around plague ridden WW1 London, definitely check it out when the next Steam/Humble sale rolls around.

Vampyre was instance #34,107 of my getting a game, despite being told it’s kind of a bland mess, thinking it’s fine people are crazy for the first five hours, then spending the last 15 hours being increasingly bored. It’s not a bad concept but man it coulda used some zazz.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I'm still in Whitechapel, so you may be correct still! Was just basing that on my first 10 or so hours of the game.

I got it on pretty deep discount so I was pretty ok with it, but the arpg gameplay loop doesn’t hold up. I would have given it higher marks if it had leaned harder of conversation ala Life Is Strange. It’s a c- overall.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m about halfway through and think that the rate that they just throw weapons at you really takes the sting off. Any weapon degradation system just needs loot to offset it.

The true issue is that we’ve got people with 20 years of “hoarding all my elixirs for a boss fight” bored into their skulls and as a result some people just will never find consumable items fun in any circumstance.

The new zelda was maybe the only time in a game where I liked weapon degradation and cooking and felt like they were necessary, fun mechanics of the overall game.

There’s no way bloodlines will be designed that well though and I’m guessing it will be something I live with because it’s not that annoying, I can kinda see what they were going for and I like the rest of the game.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Are the other Sabbat clans just as hosed up?

I mean, yeah. Their whole thing is being the dark enlightenment + alt right to the Camarilla's establishment, itself already an evil, abusive and morally vacuous organization. You gotta be kind of a depraved tryhard dickhead to join volitionally, and if you weren't inducted voluntarily your entire worldview has been forcibly shaped by the whims and philosophies of depraved tryhard dickheads.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Oof yeah. Based off of what I’m seeing still play but maybe not for a long while. Maybe when the ultimate all patches and dlc edition is on sale for $19.

I’m hoping I’m wrong but they’re not filling me with hope.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Hubs are a million times better, in general and especially for a game like this. The vast majority of stuff to do in open world games is collecting garbage to get a percentage as close to one hundred before your mind snaps from the tedium. And really talented people have to waste years designing it, rather than making awesome, nuanced and focused content. I don’t want to have to walk three kilometers in this game to trigger a “Drain 30 kine in 90 seconds” challenge.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I just started chapter five of The Council and can say with a reasonable degree of surety that the devs could make a pretty good Vampire game. It's not perfect game by any means but it is a quirky game in a perfectly French way, and that makes up for a lot. Really, without giving away too much (and I'm not giving away as much as you might suspect), it already halfway to a social intrigue focused VtM game that just needs a lot of polish and enough time\budget to expand on the systems and ideas present.

Also way better voice acting.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

That's fair, I get that each clan is figuratively a reflection of one aspect in humanity, it's just hard to believe Tzimisce lineage could last as long as it has in a world with humans and supernatural beings.

Few things to keep in mind with them.

1. Tzimisce often sire members of their revenant families and those guys are immersed in the lifestyle and religious/philosophical aspects of metamorphosis from birth. Nothing is going to seem weird or alien to someone that is basically 200th generation in the Cenobite family.

2. There have been BME communities in the real world since forever, stories online about people that want to have their limbs amputated, abrupt self castration in a fit of almost spiritual pique, etc. if you told one of these people “not only can you explore these interests in a more extreme way than is thought possible; you can do it FOREVER... and you could put it all back the way you found it if you don’t like it, honest” how many takers from these groups do you think you would get and given that they now have eternity to push the envelope, where would their experiments be after a century of pushing at boundaries?

3. Some believe that fleshcrafting Tzimisce are literally infected by their Antediluvian, who is now like a disease or spore floating on the wind. Gotta imagine its influencing the mind of its hosts.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

I mean, I get why people would want to become Tzimisce. I just don't understand how the Camarilla, Werewolves, Kuei-jin, Holy Church, and Humans would not make it a singular purpose to obliterate a hostile faction that wholely lacks and opposes humanity.

It'd be like the world finding out that pod-people exist, collectively shrugging about it and then going back to their merry ways as if nothing changed.

“wholly lacks humanity” doesn’t mean “runs through the streets fleshcrafting bystanders into screaming broadsheets that reveal the existence of vampires”. Vampire society is pretty ok with hosed up psychos, so long as they don’t stir up too much poo poo with the normals. Like, the Camarilla has all sorts of weirdos doing weird stuff behind closed doors; some might thing you’re gross but nobody cares enough to do anything to you, so long as you’re not causing masquerade violations. It’s sort of like reddit in that way.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

I was always disappointed that they made the Tzimisce a designated villain clan.

For one, Vicissitude is interesting to me as kind of the logical conclusion of protean. I.e. why should shape shifting be limited to form of wolf or form of mist? Bloodform and Zulo seem totally in line with protean. I was thinking that it should be a sub power (I think they call them Amalgams in V5?) of protean.

Additionally, it seems like all of the eastern European vampires are Tzimisce, and making them all designated villain body horror monsters seems like a waste of potential. I.e. there's so much eastern European vampire traditions and literature with eastern european vampires (like Dracula, who although canonically Tzimisce, doesn't fit in with the Sabbat body horror monsters).

It would have been cool to have some old world, pre vicissitude nobility tzimisce who could comment on the state of the clan. Or koldunic sorcerers. I do see why they focus on vicissitude though; it’s flashy and sets them apart from the other clans/makes an easy, neon sign pointing directly at them, villain to show off with visual language.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Lassitude posted:

Hunters without superpowers has always been more compelling. Although Hunters as Society of Leopold's expendable stormtroopers was a pretty boring take.

I like hunters with superpowers, but the superpowers are so poo poo that your main advantage over a normal human is that, say, losing to a vampire only results in an extended hospital stay instead of becoming a stain in the corner, and having these oftentimes just kind of make you miserable and teetering on collapse.

What I'm saying is I really liked GMing Reckoning for people with no previous WoD experience in college and made all those previous years spent reading other White Wolf books without playing the associated games worthwhile.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Someone should make a Tzimisce game which is basically Princess Maker but with fleshcrafting.

Can you raise the perfect vozhd?!

There was that one alchemist game I remember hearing about. Guy makes various weirdo homunculus girls in a quest to resurrect his daughter. Not exactly what you were looking for but I hear it’s messed up.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

The general Dev speak has been leaning towards a very inclusive aesthetic unlike BL1’s 90's Goth/Punk.

Maaaaaaaaaan, I really want an exclusive piece of nostalgia that fails commercially tho.

Well not the failing commercially part but, I mean, it probably would if i got my way.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Nobody has posted the pic yet? For shame:

I think Mitsoda said something in the same spirit will exist. I'd love for Karis Campbell to return but there's no way to know for now.

That’s from the Pentex book right?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the chapter on Black Dog. I loved it, but even now you'll get people complaining they took time out of the Very Important Book About The Evil Satanic Megacorporation to make fun of themselves.

I used to have that book! There was a period where I mainly worked to get money for sourcebooks that I never used and gas so I could drive to get the sourcebooks. Yes I used to experiment with nonsexuality, but it was college!

OG White Wolf soucebooks about the bad guys and general weird stuff were the best.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

EdithUpwards posted:

I finally understand why MageChat is tedious and deserves it's own containment thread. Holy poo poo. Vampire is a game about being a vampire, and vampire is cool because it's not Mage.

Anyway, I hope VTMBL has a ska vampire and a fire-juggler some rear end in a top hat Embraced.

Mage is a game where doing anything neat gets you immediately hate hosed by reality itself, unless you design a mousetrap style series of events that make it look like a plausible natural occurrence that happened in the area; then reality only hate fingers you. Every time I read a Mage book I’d be like “Cool I really want to run this!” Then I’d step back from the ledge of either trying to make people play by the rules that keep each individual mage from conquering the world in a weekend, or run the worlds least pleasurable power trip.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

TTBF posted:

Hatefucking is consensual.

They were giving us an example of how to creatively make a spell, in this case the spell was Valid Scold.

Unfortunately it failed.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I know Mage Chat is a berserk joke of uitself but goddam if some of the stuff you all talk about doesnt make it sound like the actual coolest poo poo in the whole world. Is there any way I can absorb chunks of this lore besides just studying PDF files of the rulebooks?

The technocracy, book of madness (nephandi and the like) and pentex books are just straight up fun reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

drat so this game is still sp, right? Based on this mage convo that won’t end I sure hope it’s still sp.