Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As long as it's just janky rather than unplayable and the game has the same qualities as the original Bloodlines, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tarantula posted:

The same gameplay video but not played by a lobotomized potato.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybopB0_4Abk

This looks better, but definitely still very janky. Also, the more I rewatch this footage, the more I realize the soundscape of this game is just going to be incredibly inferior to the original. The voice acting I actually have no problem with, but the soundtrack feels sort of boring, the UI barely has any sound effects associated with it, and all in all, the game just has a more neutered atmosphere.

Granted, I understand why they want to move away from the early 2000s aesthetic (we're not in the early 2000s anymore), but this just sounds (and to a certain degree looks) a lot more generic than the original game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, there's a lot of work to do, and I'm sure the final product will be better than what's shown here, but I also think it's fair to comment on what's been shown so far.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tarantula posted:

I hate companies that think it's better to push out an unfinished product and patch it later, just push the release date back and release a polished product.

Eh, release dates can't be pushed forever, and even games that are perfectly good at release can still benefit from improvements and bugfixes based on community feedback.

That said, I certainly agree that games shouldn't be rushed out of the door in a bad state.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The plot/characters are not a thing I'm expecting them to screw up, to be honest. Nothing we've seen so far makes me think they won't do a good job.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Savy Saracen salad posted:

"Welcome to the first day of the rest of your death! Having fun yet?"

Absolute poo poo rear end writing...You are not supposed to be a mid night marvel hero.

Sounds like something in line with what a Smiling Jack mentor character would say in the setting. I mean, let's not pretend like that line wouldn't have fit in the original.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Bloodblines 2 is on Steam and the Epic store and a bunch of other digital storefronts.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Combat still looks bad but better than the previous demos by a fair margin. It also looks like dialogue fonts aren't super-tiny anymore, which is good.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Other than the underlying premise of KotE only rising from death because they're Asian, and Asian people are magic, the rest of the setting was actually pretty chill and Blood and Silk actually had a pretty well researched and involved take on Eastern History, something very few people in the U.S. learn about.

This doesn't sound as exculpatory as you think it does.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The tweet says that it's an episodic mod leading to the events of the original game, not Bloodlines 2. It sounds like basically a fan project they're just being nice and promoting, rather than a canon thing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This guy does seem really messed up, but isn't that stuff quoted above the sort of thing that literal monsters cursed by God in a World of Darkness would do without thinking twice about it?

Consider perhaps that real people read those books, real people go to the LARPS and, most importantly, real LGBTQ+ people are affected by the events cited in the books in Chechnya.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

LARPing reminds me of what I did with friends in elementary school You pretend you are characters from games and TV and play fight.

You know what TV actors remind me of? Children in a school play.

Shameful, truly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, considering the unpleasantness of the role-playing community at large *and* the ridiculousness inherent in the exercise, I don't struggle to see why people would dislike LARPing, but the idea that "YOU'RE PRETENDING TO BE SOMEONE ELSE... LIKE CHILDREN" is some kind of big own is just really funny.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is from the Bethesda blog post they did to highlight his collaboration:

quote:

“Aside from a collection of minor characters, I worked on about five other major characters and their arcs in the game,” Avellone says. Among his favorites: neuroscientist Dayo Igwe and Chief Systems Engineer Mikhaila Ilyushin. “Their arcs have some of my favorite moments.”

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I wouldn't put too much stock into that. While this is Paradox's official store, ultimately they're probably still just putting a generous placeholder in there and that arm of the publisher doesn't have inside information on the date they're currently shooting for.

That said, the news lately really makes this sound like a gigantic gently caress-up and I have little hope for the project at the moment.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HOLY poo poo AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH WHAT THE gently caress AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

drat rope kid really is lurking everywhere

I got curious about ex-obsidian guys, Kevin Saunders and George Ziets (made Mask of the Betrayer) are basically free agents now... :pray:

George Ziets started his own company. I'm not sure if Kevin Saunders works there now.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

The best thing I can say for this game is that Prey went through a similar wringer, with more than one studio handoff and concept change until it landed at Arkane. Bethesda / Zenimax only did a single cinematic teaser for the original open world Prey 2 concept, though, whereas Paradox was dumb enough to orchestrate a full court PR press for Bloodlines 2 in its infancy.

This is all largely incorrect, mind you. Prey 2 got multiple gameplay demos, was effectively canceled, and the use of the Prey name was basically just a ploy to reuse the IP while Arkane did an original game. The situation is only comparable in that the game eventually was handed to other devs?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think Paradox would contract a first-party dev (how would that work? I mean, obviously the game would be PC/Xbox exclusive, but I'm sure it would also be more legally challenging to put together the contract, not to mention Obsidian is reportedly extremely busy right now and likely doesn't have a free team). Harebrained Schemes I think would be a great fit from a writing standpoint IMHO, they don't seem to do the whole first-person immersive sim gameplay though.

Honestly, seeing a new dev emerging in that space with some proven talent from the old team leading it was really exciting, pity it turned out the way it did. At this point, I'm expecting the game to be quietly cancelled eventually, but even if it does come out, I expect the retrospectives to be more interesting than the game itself.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

What was this? I enjoy hearing industry gossip stuff.

I think they're referring to the fact that at one point Chris Avellone alleged that they were getting more money out of the project than they should have by having an executive producer on budget? Of all videogame scandals, that one seemed like a blip in the radar even if true to me.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think there was a general understanding that RPG Codex is edgy but not nazi and lots of RPG devs from the old guard spent time there in the past, including openly gay ones like Tim Cain. Now almost nobody spends time there anymore except Avellone, which... kinda tells its own story.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think Nazi is a good descriptor for the current Codex. They just straight-up have antisemitic memes as their emotes and the forum is inundated with the most vile racism. They used to argue that the forum was just unmoderated and that they had trans people (they used the slur though, which tells you everything) and communists too but uh, they have actual moderators and occasionally hide stuff and they clearly enshrined a bunch of the stuff on the website, so that excuse, which was pitiful to begin with, doesn't fly.

That doesn't mean Avellone himself is a nazi, but it's a bad association to have, and the fact that all the other stuff about him came out, makes it basically impossible for anybody to give him the benefit of the doubt unless they're the sort of superfans that were always eager to buy into the grift into the first place.

Man, I wish we got actual Bloodlines 2 news. We still don't know what studio's working on it now, right?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It sucks poo poo that Chris Avellone sucks! I loved (and still love) Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, Kotor 2, you name it... but in retrospect, it's hard for me to see even the times where he was faultlessly polite as anything other than manipulation. He also wasn't involved at all in Bloodlines, so it's hardly the sort of thing that changes my appraisal of the game (mostly I just grew up and realized how casually misogynistic parts of it were).

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Zeta Acosta posted:

I just read the Avellone thing. I hope this game never comes out

What about the 'I don't know anything but I'm gonna spend hundreds of words saying it' convinced you of this?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
What's the source on Bloodlines 2 being on UE4? I was under the impression it was running on internal Hardsuit Labs tech.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It does feel like, to some degree, the abundance of Vampire CYOA games is also a way to use the license while the bigger projects have largely not panned out, to be honest. I don't necessarily think it's a bad choice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

This game makes me want to throw my controller through a window. Was doing the first real level and accidentally clicked the point of no return because the icon to denote it at such I didn't notice because the camera is super close and your body blocks your view and the icons don't appear until you get close and now I have to redo the entire loving level. How the gently caress do you not have a confirm prompt for that. Why the gently caress can I not skip dialogue until I beat the level. Whoever designed these things please go gently caress off and learn any quality of life lessons at all.

Sometimes I forget that this thread isn't *really* about Bloodlines II anymore because it can't really be, so I read this and I was like 'wtf????' for a full second before I realized the context.