Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

In my experience she dies really quickly when you use the flamethrower on her, even when you have fuckall for firearms skill. I've always felt like it was included so that people can beat the bosses even if they don't have a significant combat investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Nosferatu seems like it could be left out, Malkavian is a more interesting weird playthrough option than "hey guess who gets to hang out in the sewers" again.

The biggest problem with Nosferatu was that the game mechanics made their whole "getting seen is a masquerade violation" thing pretty meaningless.

You can't lose masquerade in combat areas, so some huge chunks of the game it just straight up doesn't apply. Important NPCs will still talk to a Nosferatu without a violation, so you don't lose access to any shops or quests, and you don't even have to make tradeoffs like "Using this shop will cost me a masquerade violation". Obfuscation as a discipline largely negates any need for stealthy gameplay, especially at higher levels that let you interact with things.

The only real change I found it made to my gameplay was forcing me to use the irritating sewers to get around when another character could have just used the front door, and after enough points into Obfuscate I really didn't even need to do that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

And it was really weird how a lot of the PC options for dealing with Pisha are "EW, GROSS, YOU EAT MEAT!" Like, I prefer my meat well-done precisely because meat is yummy and blood isn't. Others disagree obviously but the point is, isn't it a bit pretentious to get on her for eating people when all she's doing is adding an extra step to what you already do?

I feel like a vampire hearing that another vampire eats the meat along with the blood is like somebody hearing about somebody who eats peanuts without removing the shells or corn without removing the husk. It's just... wrong.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I like the lore posts, because I liked Bloodlines but never learned more about VtM than what was in the game, so it's interesting to hear about the background.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They want different clans to actually feel different to play, they don't want a repeat of Bloodlines 1 where there was no real playstyle difference between Brujah and Toreador because they were both Celerity/Presence classes that played pretty identically.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

That said, they could do something pretty interesting with animalism now, if they cared to. The rat staff/blowfly stuff from Dishonoured gives an illustration of how it would be possible. And I’d love for them to put in talking to Animals like Divinity, it would give Nos actual NPCs to talk to in the sewers.

In Death of the Outsider the Heart was replaced with talking to rats, and that worked really well. A lot of the talk was just atmospheric gossipy stuff, but they also gave out clues on missions and such. Telling you about alternate routes, warning you that people were waiting ahead of you, giving hints about the location of charms and the black market, etc.

Really, I'd be pretty happy if Bloodlines 2 basically played like Vampire-themed Dishonored with a dialogue system added in.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've got high hopes for the thing with the ammunition. It would be nice to see a more active style of gunplay and I like the idea of taking a gun and killing a couple of people with it, but then needing to get a new gun off of one their bodies to keep up the spree. Feels like it'll keep the things up close and personal as opposed to opposed to "shoot enemies from range, buy more bullets, repeat"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I feel like resonance is mostly going to matter to the Ventrue because of their feeding restrictions, while other vamps will be able to to treat humans like juice boxes. Sure, fruit punch is the best, but grape is perfectly drinkable.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Guest posted:

This is what made me assume Nosferatu would be in from the start, since I'd expect that creating hidden access ways everywhere would need be an integral part of level design that you'd need to be planning for from day one. If they just make a DLC that tacks on a bunch of sewer levels everywhere, that'll be kind of a bummer. Still I'm not too sad about Nosferatu being absent from the start, they're the only clan I never bothered with in Bloodlines because spending the game in the sewers just seemed boring.
In Bloodlines 1, the sewers were mostly there to get around the city, and that was boring and lovely and you really only had to do it to avoid being seen by passersby, because everybody important just went "HOLY poo poo YOU'RE SO loving UGLY OH GOD" and then just dealt with you normally. Shopkeepers, questgivers, etc. You never had to really sacrifice any kind of social contact in the game as a Nosferatu, you just had to pay the ugly tax by traveling in the sewers so normal people wouldn't see you.

And really, I don't feel like Bloodline
Eh. In Bloodlines 2 will need an extensive sewer system. With the levels having increased verticality for Chirpoteran and the vent systems and whatnot for Nebulation and Nosfertu getting Obfuscation as a discipline, I really don't think you'll need an extensive sewer system to get around.

Tetrabor posted:

My guess is Nossy DLC may use Mask Of A Thousand Faces or something to differentiate their use of Obfuscate from Nebulation while also letting them stay on surface streets provided they have blood.

I hope not. I feel like this really reduces the flavor of Nosferatu. Anyways, I don't think Obfuscate really needs a ton of differentiation from Nebulation because Nebulation turns you into a visible mist. That might be stealthy in a foggy dockside alley, but it's definitely gonna draw some attention if you're trying to sneak down a hallway in an office building.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, "you're forced to create flawed characters" and "you don't just make 'badasses'" isn't quite spot on. oVamp is the origin of "supers with fangs" and "trenchcoats and katanas" for a reason.

Trenchcoats and katanas was Shadowrun, wasn't it?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

So messing around with the original game and it seems playing nosferatu is literally sewer simulator. it is pretty interesting though having to avoid everyone to not break the masquerade.

Once you level up Obfuscation a bit you can just straight up ignore the sewers for most of the game. The blood requirements are so low and it's so easy to get more blood that it's never an issue. There's a few quests where you still need the sewers to avoid a hit, but not many.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Everything I read about this game stated that it was specifically not exclusive to the Epic store.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Just do what I did.

Do your first playthrough as a Malkavian to see all the dialogue options cold and try to puzzle out meanings from them. Then do your second playthrough as a Malkavian so you can see what references you missed the first time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tetrabor posted:

I mean, I get why people would want to become Tzimisce. I just don't understand how the Camarilla, Werewolves, Kuei-jin, Holy Church, and Humans would not make it a singular purpose to obliterate a hostile faction that wholely lacks and opposes humanity.

It'd be like the world finding out that pod-people exist, collectively shrugging about it and then going back to their merry ways as if nothing changed.

As a vampire I could potentially live forever. I'm not going to risk that just because some jackass likes to play with his food.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

What do you mean by average big city? 100k? 250k? 500k?

I mean this seriously; I've only ever lived in a million plus population city and I can see this place maintaining a good few more than 20.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Zephro posted:

If you want inspiration you could do worse than checking out the Laundry Files books, which are basically stale-beer spy fiction meets supernatural gribblies. They aren't always entirely serious but the intelligence-agencies angle is generally done well (ie sometimes they're competent and sometimes they're not and there's bureaucracy and infighting and a lot of the supernaturals end up brought inside the tent via various means, etc). One novel (the Rhesus Chart) is basically about what happens when an old vampire decides he's had enough and picks a straight fight with the government (it doesn't go well).

The last few books have become more and more about political commentary on current events and I don't think they've aged well, but the first half-dozen or so would make a good mine for ideas.

One thing I like in that series about vampire 'society' is that there's a sort of Highlander approach to it. Every vampire who learns about another vampire tries to kill them, because if they could learn that somebody else is a vampire then it's also possible for a human to learn that, and they know that they're not powerful enough to stave off the entire modern world if it mobilizes against them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Khanstant posted:

This is awesome ands I really love hearing about it secondhand, don't have the chops to go through it myself, but torture nuclear decay ghosts is way rad.

P.S. What's the phosophorous-vampire weakness from?

It's a flame weapon, phosophorous is super duper flammable.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

The Tzimisce can only sleep in the soil of their birthplace, right? Or they have to be within a circle of it?
I can't remember if that means where they were born or where they were sired but either way, it shouldn't be difficult to get a crate of Slovakian soil shipped to Colorado or whatever.

Sure it means that you can't go far from your haven but that's not really a big deal.

IIRC the amount was small enough that it was easily transportable without special equipment or shipping, you could fit it in a gallon ziploc bag with no problems.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Randallteal posted:

"Curses aren't real, fool" - Spiders, maybe? Harebrained Schemes? IDK.

Harebrained did great with Shadowrun, I think they'd be a good choice for a WoD game, if they got to do it in their style of game.

GhostDog posted:

Left field option: partner with Microsoft and give it to Obsidian with support from Arkane.

Arkane doing Bloodlines is basically my dream game. I am 110% on board with Vampire Dishonored.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

These are basically CYOA books in a digital format right?

Yes, with stats they track for things like discipline levels and whatnot.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fuzz posted:

So for the Night Road crowd:

I finally had a successful run as a Gangrel after I died in my initial run as a Banu Haqim literally RIGHT at the end. Restarted now as a Toreador Cam-whore ( :hurr: ) and was wondering... are the clan add-ons at all worth it? I'm still having fun and unlocking weird new side poo poo (just found out a totally throwaway character from the other two playthroughs can actually become a ghoul and do cool poo poo). The base clans all have clear "hooks" in terms of who your sire is, with Banu Haqim having the most overtly "logical" one, oddly enough, but other than like, The Ministry, Nosferatu, and Tremere I can't see how some of these other clans would even remotely fit in without some very heavy handed shoe-horning. Do any of them actually add some interesting, albeit small, side content?

The 'Secrets and Shadows' DLC adds an additional mission(it's a heist at an auction house), and the Ravnos and Hecata sires are both involved in it. It also adds a possible romance plotline with Dove, I think.

The new clans are okay.

The Nosferatu have a thing where they need to constantly spend blood to keep up a mask when they're dealing with people who aren't clued in, or they take a Masquerade violation for revealing their appearance. I don't know if this makes a real difference, but the Nosferatu Courier starts at a lower generation(9th) than other couriers(11th), because the Nosferatu sire is Dove, and she's only two generations down from Reremouse.

The Ravnos have a thing where they cannot sleep in the same place more than once. This makes SI raids a motherfucker, since you're constantly skipping around and don't sleep in a fortified haven. This also has minor effects on some of the quests where you have to find places to sleep. Their sire is involved in the DLC mission.

Lasombra are okay? The technology penalty doesn't come into play much at all that I remember, though I avoided taking technology skill points and avoided all the tech checks, so it may show up there if you actually try to use computers. Their sire is Millicent, the owner of the bar down at the camp, and she also shows up a bit in the DLC mission.

I haven't really played Hecata or Ministry. The Hecata sire is involved in the DLC mission, and the Ministry sire shows up in one of the ghoul plotlines, I think.

I didn't regret paying for it, FWIW.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Trenchdeep posted:

Any opinions on the werewolves games by the same people?

As a note, Choice of Games is a publisher of that type of "choose your own adventure" style game. They're not all up to the same quality and they're not all by the same people. The guy who wrote Night Road has written several other games for them, but none of them are WoD properties and I haven't bothered to play any of them, so I have no advice. I am pretty sure most of their games have free trials somewhere though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I can make a new thread this weekend with a new OP.

I finally succeeded in diablerizing another vampire and lowering my generation in Night Road, but then I (endgame spoiler) hosed up and didn't have the stats (even though I COULD have, I had the exp, I was just cocky/careless) to unlock the 2100 serum and lower my generation ddown to 9, just to see what happens. Anyone tried it? How low can you get your gen?

Also, (second half spoiler) can you actually kill Lampago, or just drive her off? I thought this time around I'd finally be able to take her down, but despite having the gemmed up wakizashi and a 7 on Sex+Combat, I still couldn't slice her up and she escaped into the forest dome.

You can get your generation down to 7th if you do things right.

You have to be a Nosferatu for that to work. The Nosferatu courier starts at 9th, because Dove is their sire and she's only two generations removed from Reremouse(who is 7th.) So the Nosferatu courier is originally 10th generation, diablerizes Aila to get to 9th before the start of the game, diablerizes Reremouse to 8th, and then can Formula 2100 to get to 7th.

I don't think anything happens differently if you do this, but not certain.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My take on this has always been that the SI doesn't really know what all the vampires can do. As such, they don't want to blow the Masquerade completely open and have the vampires go to a straight up war footing, because they don't know how much damage the vampires can do if they're pushed to the limits of "if we're going down, you're all going with us."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Boogle posted:

Just give me Dishonored: vampire edition.

Yeah, my dream Bloodlines 2 version is done by Arkane with Mitsoda brought in for it, and it's basically "Dishonored but Vampires"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I just picked it up myself, starting at S1 E1. I'm a couple episodes in and so far it's been pretty good. I'm doing it in podcast form so I can listen to it on the road, and the voice acting is good enough that I don't need visuals to go along with it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'm a fan of rolling dice for Hunger. I find it way more suited to the theme than a pool of "I get this many uses of my superpowers" points.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I feel like Out for Blood would have worked better if it was not set in the Vampire the Masquerade setting. I still liked it, but it felt like the setting held it back a little bit.

IMO, this one really suffered from it being the main character's first exposure to vampires without having any sort of experienced teacher. This meant that your opposition vampire had to be really stupid to get caught and killed by a bunch of complete neophytes with no knowledge or training at all, and that sort of trickled down through the rest of the game.

I'm also a fan of Parliament of Knives. I like that it's a VtM game where you're starting as somebody more established in the local hierarchy and not as a complete neophyte or a drifter rolling into town. Makes for a nice change of pace.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 16, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bloodlines 1 was a barely working pile of jank supported by a great story, and I'm positive both that HBS could manage that and that I'd almost certainly be happier with that outcome than I would with a more polished game by a studio that's worse at storytelling.

As far as Hunger/Blood goes, I feel like something about Hunger just tempts me to tempt the Beast more than the blood pool. The idea of maybe spending something triggers all those "I better hoard all these magic wands in case I need them later" impulses in me that have me spending resources like a miser, while the thought of gaining more Hunger is just kinda "meh, if it goes up it goes up" which is imo far more thematically appropriate. This leads me to prefer Hunger, even if it does boil down to a mana pool in the end. Something about the presentation changes how I think about it and that changes makes for a better experience. .

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Khizan hits upon the exact problem here, which is that the lack of deterministic mana loss means that it's possible to get lucky and avoid the consequences of using vampire powers. Why is avoiding those consequences bad? It's because the consequences of using vampire powers don't actually fall on the vampire. They fall on living people. That's the point of being a vampire, you export all your difficulties onto others.

I think that it works better with the uncertainty, honestly. When every use of a discipline results in a loss of blood, it reduces the temptation offered by the powers. Even if I don't care about the human cost inherent in the use of the blood, it still means that using a power just for fun or convenience is going to be a pain in the rear end later when I have to deal with the effort and potential dangers of feeding.

I prefer the way that Hunger sort of encourages you to be a bit profligate with power use. The human cost is still there and every time you use a power you're still saying "I want to do this and I'm okay if it means a person gets hurt for it". That chance to get away with it just encourages you to be a bit more careless with human lives, and that feels like a very vampire thing, to me. Avoiding the use of powers to avoid harming humans becomes more of a moral decision and less of a "well, it would be a pain in the rear end to feed because of this" decision.

Sure, you'll have your lucky days where you ace all your rouse checks, but you're also going to have your No Good Very Bad days and I feel like Hunger tends to do those more spectacularly. Bomb a couple of early rouse checks that the system sort of encourages you to be a bit wasteful with, get a messy crit/bestial failure because you've got all those extra hunger dice, have to use some more powers to avoid the consequences of that, and suddenly you're in a terrible failure cascade that has the potential to be very messy and harmful.

I prefer that to the sort of attrition-based harm that comes by blood pool, where the harm you cause to humans tends to be spread out through feeding in a way that can be almost invisible.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

In V5, you instead have "this is important enough to me that I'm willing to risk someone getting hurt in case I need to pay for it." On average, this is actually the same as the V20 system, since you're paying 1d2-1 points out of a 5 point pool rather than paying 1 point out of a 10 point pool, and the expected value of a power use remains 10% of your maximum capacity. But I think something is lost when, at random, you get to use your superpowers for free. Remember, it's not you that the Beast is kindly letting off the hook, but rather your next victim.

I feel like the inconsistency in power cost is compensated for by the effects of Hunger on literally everything you do. It's fairly easy to get into a situation where you blow the rouse check for waking, then you blow it again on your first use of a discipline and wind up at Hunger 3. Then you have to do something you're not particularly great at, so you've got a pool of five or six dice and three of them are hunger dice. You fail that check because those hunger dice can't be rerolled with willpower, and now you've got to handle that failure so you make some more rolls or maybe tempt the Beast again. You've done two blood points worth of actions and your Hunger is already a major consideration that's having effects on how things go down for you, whereas with blood points you'd just be down two blood points and it really wouldn't matter at all.

These kinds of failure cascades can have such direct and catastrophic consequences for humans that I feel like they balance out the fact that not every power usage requires feeding. After all, most of the harm to humans that results from them comes directly from acts that you committed during play. You couldn't keep a grip on the Beast and now somebody is dead and it's all because you let your hunger get the better of you. This kind of stuff feels far more meaningful to me than making sure every power use has a corresponding feeding cost, especially when you consider that, in practice, feeding is often glossed over with a simple skill check because most groups don't want to dedicate significant chunks of playtime to something that boils down to "how well did you do at drinking your mana potion?"

Khizan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 20, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

I started watching L.A. By Night again and I'm enjoying season 2 a lot more than season 1. I never got to play the tabletop game cause my buddies were to proud to switch from D&D to "your sparkly vampire game" (yeah that was a fun and futile conversation) so I'm not massively familiar with the lore, but is Nelli G's secret that she Diablerized a Tremere?

It seems like that's where this is going, which is why I'm guessing she has the ghost problems.

No. She did diablerize somebody, but it was another Toreador that Chaz had sired. She learned blood sorcery via some connections.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's worth noting that the Blood Buff in the original version without the patch just sets all your physical stats to five dots while it's up, so it would just straight up turn you into a combat powerhouse in the early game. Late game, being able to completely ignore the physical stats let you just drop a few points into Melee and spend the rest on whatever you wanted.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rap Game Goku posted:

Mal-kay-vee-an and Prim o gen. Although I think the only time I've ever heard them spoken was in Bloodlines.

LA by Night had one character explain to a new vampire that all these terms are unbelievably ancient and that, accordingly, they're all pronounced in all sorts of ways depending on where people are from and what their native language was and who taught who the proper phrases and whatnot, and I'm okay with that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I’m hoping it will be good. I really like season 1 of LA by Night, but I tapped out in S2 because Annabelle is the loving worst and I hate everything involving her.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I thought it was pretty good. Ward's nicely creepy and does well in his familiar role as the more experienced mentor vampire, Serif's a lot better than Annabelle, and Rey just fuckin' kills it. Fuego's the only low point to me, because she just feels like Great Value Nelli G right now, but I'm sure that'll improve once we get to see more of the character.

I think the vibe is a bit different from LA by Night because I think that everybody in this crew but Isaac is pretty new to this. It doesn't feel like the whole "Three experienced vampires with established presences and resources teach one neonate" thing so much as Isaac getting stuck with running oversight on three neonates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Brawn rules.