Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Dale "A lesson is learned but the damage is irreversible" Beran is writing a Goon's-eye perspective on the Slenderman/Eggs website hacker pedo troll board.

He was the author of this 2017 4Chan explainer article that non-online people saw
https://medium.com/@DaleBeran/4chan-the-skeleton-key-to-the-rise-of-trump-624e7cb798cb

Quoting from http://daleberan.tumblr.com/post/182765345311/ive-got-a-book-coming-out-its-called

quote:

What’s it about? It’s a history of counterculture’s collision with technology and politics, specifically online message boards and social media, and even more specifically the infamous otaku cesspool message board, 4chan.org. It tells the sad tale of how the site spawned the left-leaning hacktivist collective Anonymous, then how after all those guys got arrested, the dregs remaining formed into far right gamergaters, incels, and ultimately the alt-right.

It also discusses 4chan’s longstanding rival Tumblr.com, and how that alternative online community came to define a new form of fantasy-inflected identity politics.

It comes out on August 1st this year.

You can pre-order it from many a bookseller already.

How could this possibly happen you ask? How did they let you an ancient internet cartoonist whose writing to date mostly consists of far left Zizekian screeds on pop culture (written as Tumblr blog posts) write a book?

Well, I accidentally wrote a viral article on the subject in 2017, on which the book is based.

So if you read that piece and want to hear even more about the nightmarish sludge at the bottom of what is already considered a toxic disaster, human civilization the internet, boy, have I got the book for you.

This is my life now!

One minute I was making cartoons for Cartoon Network that they never put on the air, the next, I was suddenly a troll-whisperer, just chilling out, maxing, relaxing and letting the dark internet hate for me and my work flow in.

Essentially, what every internet cartoonist dreams when they first put pen to wacom tablet!

Anyway, here’s a longer summary of the book:
An insider’s history of the website at the end of the world, which burst into politics and memed Donald Trump into the White House.

The internet has transformed the ways we think and act, and by consequence, our politics. The most impactful recent political movements on the far left and right started with massive online collectives of teenagers. Strangely, both movements began on the same website: an anime imageboard called 4chan.org. It Came from Something Awful is the fascinating and bizarre story of 4chan and its profound effect on youth counterculture.

Dale Beran has observed the website’s shifting activities and interests since the beginning. 4chan is a microcosm of the internet itself simultaneously at the vanguard of contemporary culture, politics, comedy and language, and a new low for all of the above. It was the original meme machine, mostly frequented by socially awkward and disenfranchised young men in search of a place to be alone together.

During the recession of the late 2000’s, the memes became political. 4chan was the online hub of a leftist hacker collective known as Anonymous and a prominent supporter of the Occupy Wall Street movement. But within a few short years, the site’s ideology spun on its axis; it became the birthplace and breeding ground of the alt-right. In It Came from Something Awful, Beran uses his insider’s knowledge and natural storytelling ability to chronicle 4chan’s strange journey from creating rage-comics to inciting riots to according to some memeing Donald Trump into the White House.

#books #comics #memes #alt-right #anime
7 notes Feb 12th, 2019

https://twitter.com/daleberan/status/1095427983471448069

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I hope he falls and hurts his hip cuz this book sucks BALLS!!!!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

God what a shitshow title and OP

I blame Awful and myself

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Hopefully Lowtax will get some exposure and finally get that titanium spine we’ve all been hoping for

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

They straight up murdered a kid with a zip line bro

I told you dog

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Does this mean the forums are no longer obscure?

Is it finally our time in the sun as goons?

I feel... fulfilled.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Hm, I hate this.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Looks poo poo

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

All this because lowtax banned anime pedophiles

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018
If we just turn off the internet will all the damage be reversed?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Something is awful about the state of internet.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
feelin like a pretty cool shadowy ghost figure rn

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

looks bad dale

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm gonna turn this car around!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is this guy actually even a goon or what

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Holy crap lol.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this is definitely going on my summer reading list

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So really it's almost entirely about 4chan.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Why isn’t there a book about Doobie’s Dog House?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woof Blitzer posted:

So really it's almost entirely about 4chan.

bbbut we banned moot! we're relevant really!!!

he should have just made an effortpost on here instead so we could gas it and ban him

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

soy posted:

bbbut we banned moot! we're relevant really!!!

he should have just made an effortpost on here instead so we could gas it and ban him

He's technically not banned anymore is he?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

bad

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 13, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is lowtax the architect from the matrix movies

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I read the book and did you know you actually have to pay money to post on somethingawful.com??!!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Op, this sounds terrible

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Uncle Wemus posted:

All this because lowtax banned anime pedophiles

This is the scene in the story where I have to go back in time and kill Lowtax before 4Chan to prevent this timeline from coming to fruition ( “If I don’t kill you now, Donald Trump becomes president!!!”) only for skulmund to lead to some Brony hitler or whatever.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

1redflag posted:

This is the scene in the story where I have to go back in time and kill Lowtax before 4Chan to prevent this timeline from coming to fruition ( “If I don’t kill you now, Donald Trump becomes president!!!”) only for skulmund to lead to some Brony hitler or whatever.

Who's playing Lowtax in the film and who's directing?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Never thought about it but it's correct and true that Lowtax is solely responsible for the Trump presidency.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TheReverend posted:

Never thought about it but it's correct and true that Lowtax is solely responsible for the Trump presidency.

Maybe Trump can show some gratitude by getting Lowtax a new spine. Does McDonalds sell spines?

naem
May 29, 2011

I thought this site leaned to the left mostly

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Well, some of us hang to the left. Is that the same thing?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
the list of splinter groups from SA is pretty big and there are a pretty decent chunk that go hard right

but liberalism is dead so w/e

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
SA will always be relevant.

Exhibit A...

:stare:

Uh, this garbage here.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Next slide, please.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

1redflag posted:

Lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Wait what was thid about im not reading all that bullshit, is the lesson is learned guy lovely? I remember really liking their art i even bought one of their posters back in the day

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

1redflag posted:

SKULL MUND DOT COM BINCH

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Nooner posted:

Wait what was thid about im not reading all that bullshit, is the lesson is learned guy lovely? I remember really liking their art i even bought one of their posters back in the day

1. David Hellman did the art on LIL, this guy wrote the dialogue

2. He seems like a good guy but it's funny how boldly he's taken on the role of Marginal Forums Historian to regular people

3. Lowtax is going down in textbooks as the 2000s Franz Ferdinand

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
wow thats a bunch of lies and boring poo poo even just in the summary

4chan was all left wing mature dudes, then they all were arrested for some reason and then just morphed into the alt-right, sure why not no one is going to read it anyway i might as well start printing this thing already

also the podcast 'cumtown' already explained to the internet that the right went to 4chan and the left stayed here, and then it got silent and awkward when the highest paid guy told the guy who said that to shut the gently caress up