Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you going out of your way to use 5g?
yes i want the latest and greatest
no gently caress you
i'll use whatever the se support
View Results

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

MononcQc posted:

just make phones that look like this

someone call this guy (on a 5g phone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5xV893dAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mobile airbag is a powerful posting name

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Needs the commercial smarts of not making it reusable though, need to rake in money for each and every drop.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

works for Apple

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrMoo posted:

Needs the commercial smarts of not making it reusable though, need to rake in money for each and every drop.

it probably wears out after a couple of drops. just have to say that you "recommend replacement" after each drop

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

they named it that because you had to get hit by lighting on a regular basis to have a hope in hell of keeping the battery charged

a finger width vertical slice of the touchscreen stopped working about 6 months in

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no idea why anyone would move on from such an awesome tech as 4g which works without antennas.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Phobeste posted:

a finger width vertical slice of the touchscreen stopped working about 6 months in

every android from that period had a 12mo service life if you were lucky it was absolute garbage

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if you were lucky it was absolute garbage

and if you were unlucky it was a literal trashfire

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

no idea why anyone would move on from such an awesome tech as 4g which works without antennas.

the point here is that’s you have to use their 5g-nr antennas, not whatever you wanted to lay out

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
isn't mmWave going to be much more susceptible to antennagate style issues?

maybe we should go back to little antennae on the top that you cal pull out for better reception

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
this thread is about cool 5g. not whatever nerd poo poo that is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

~Coxy posted:

isn't mmWave going to be much more susceptible to antennagate style issues?

maybe we should go back to little antennae on the top that you cal pull out for better reception

thats why massive mimo is always said in the same breath along with the mmWave stuff

still, seems like it'll help mainly with vehicles and fixed broadband and the like

the company i work for does industrial mainly so 5g-nr is basically "uh no that won't work for basically any of our customers". catm/nb is really good in those kinds of environments (2g or better sensitivity) and should see a mass roll out along with 5g

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 21, 2019

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

massively multiplayer online wifi

coke
Jul 12, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol the future everybody

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if mmWave is good for anything it'll be fixed wireless finally giving cable companies some competition

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

if mmWave is good for anything it'll be fixed wireless finally giving cable companies some competition

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

its not gonna go thru walls so that's probably an issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its not gonna go thru walls so that's probably an issue.

mmWave user equipment goes on the outside of buildings like a satellite dish. then unlicensed spectrum can be used inside the premises

coke
Jul 12, 2009
yeah sounds like a great idea for fixed broadband in the desert because lol if your internet breaks when it rains or get a little bit foggy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

coke posted:

yeah sounds like a great idea for fixed broadband in the desert because lol if your internet breaks when it rains or get a little bit foggy

we has LOS microwave wireless backhaul back when i was in high school and it would very reliably poo poo the bed every time it got foggy or rained hard enough. this has been an issue since forever and no poo poo it only gets worse with higher frequencies.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

but wow itll be great for all the data mining and tiny sensors with a million relays in dense areas so that little ads on store shelves can be marketed directly to you and your emotional state while you're trying to buy some fuckin bread

~iot~

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

we has LOS microwave wireless backhaul back when i was in high school and it would very reliably poo poo the bed every time it got foggy or rained hard enough. this has been an issue since forever and no poo poo it only gets worse with higher frequencies.

well yeah microwave is dogshit for that because it absorbs in water. should have been using 900mhz or something and it would have been fine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

but wow itll be great for all the data mining and tiny sensors with a million relays in dense areas so that little ads on store shelves can be marketed directly to you and your emotional state while you're trying to buy some fuckin bread

~iot~

that stuff all uses 900 for unlicensed or 850/700 or whatever the gently caress those bands are for licensed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m sure it’ll be fine, the carriers will be putting up microcells everywhere

https://www.lightreading.com/mobile/5g/5g-and-millimeter-wave-band-challenges/a/d-id/735852

quote:

Received power in dBm = Tx power + Tx antenna gain + Rx antenna gain – path loss – rain fade (est. 2dB/200m) - shadowing loss (20 to 30dB)– foliage loss (10 to 50dB) – atmosphere absorption – terrain /humility -– Fresnel blockage – system margin

Fresnel zone radius (R) = 17.32 x √(d/4f) (d in km, f in GHz)

By examining the above equations, it is obvious that many factors can cripple mmWave links. Link budget is the most important area of focus for any 5G deployment team.

10dB loss per kilometer. it’s fine! microcells will be as ubiquitous as power transformers!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

so the answer is to just get a couple fieldfoxes and a horn antenna and you're good to go 5ging

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if i understand things correctly the idea of mmWave is to some extent less about a fixed infrastructure and more about setting up very high-bandwidth cells where needed and for special purposes. the easiest example being in an arena, sure any 5% of devices there will fail to connect to the cell because the user is holding it wrong, but those devices will then talk to the LTE-like, which is then perfectly fast because the other 95% are on mmWave.

also no doubt an eye towards just displacing wifi in the home, similarly just betting that most traffic will go mmWave and LTE picks up the slack, and being able to offer a decent price on that seamless experience.

wouldn't buy a 5g phone for many generations yet, but there seems to be a neat flexibility planned out in the standard.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
you keep asking what 5g is, but have you considered what 5g isn’t? hmmmm?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

just think about that one for a while

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

it isn’t...

...a sandwich?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

99% of the time my 4g speeds seem to be limited by lovely coverage/software, I don't see how 5g is going to improve on this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

it isn’t...

...a sandwich?

well, actually...

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

President Beep posted:

https://html5zombo.com

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

for twelve years, you have been asking: what is 5g?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

thanks???

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

99% of the time my 4g speeds seem to be limited by lovely coverage/software, I don't see how 5g is going to improve on this.

*analyst points at street light*: microcell
you: :lol: carriers won't actually do that, you can't just point at everything and claim it'll be a microcell
*analyst points at seagull*: microcell

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

5G is the acceleration I experience when walking away from the OPs posts.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep posted:

just think if zoll was still with us, today

I could never get into overwatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

well, 600-700MHz deployments with way better coverage at the expense of bandwidth is not strictly a 5g thing, but is looking to happen on a broader scale together with 5g.