Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Survivor airs Wednesday, February 20th on CBS! Check your local listings.

:siren: If it hasn't aired in an episode, don't spoil it in this thread. :siren:

If you get a better thread title sometime in the run, post it!

Someone bought :blindside: Thanks, Mysterious Poster! You rock!

"I took the flint!"
https://i.imgur.com/28YgW4D.mp4

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

What's the theme this time?

Get this poo poo. They brought back four players that audience members tend to like and then created the "Island of Extinction" where people who were voted out can rot for a little while with a chance to re-enter the game. That's right, they created a new Redemption Island for their returnees in a newbie season loving again. We never loving learn, do we?

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel used to keep the Ponderosa videos and bonus scenes but I guess they now have those on the CBS official website? I don't know. Just search for "Ponderosa [jury member]" and you'll find someone else uploaded it so you don't have to figure that out.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

This Season's Cast

“The jury doesn’t just reward whoever plays the best game. It determines who played the best game.”/

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Yay pumped for new Survivor!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was like 4 deep on "man, there's a lot of bartenders" before it clicked...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Looks like Joe's team got switched at the last moment.

Pony: Kelley
Poison: Joe

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pony: Wentworth :allears:
Poison: Aurora

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

Yay pumped for new Survivor!!

:same:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Pony: Dave
Poison: Dan

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
pony: aubry
poison: chris

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

Pony: Kelley

This. And for newbies:

Pony: Gavin
Poison: Victoria

Also, Wentworth's bikini color against her skin tone is making my brain hurt.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Propaganda Machine, this link you shared was great, something about this ancient rear end website full of old drama is also just magical in its own right. I clicked a link and started to read someone's fan fiction of an all-stars season in Alaska haha. I do wonder if moves like that are called on the fly or if they set up what week they want to pull twists on ahead of time.

Pony: the hot one
Poison: Keith because all Keiths lose, v cursed name

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Glad you enjoyed! It's fun to poke around on there sometimes and get nostalgic. The same guy (Mario Lanza) writes both the Funny 115 entries and the fan fiction. I think he kind of lost his way with the second version (really, REALLY needed an editor) but it's a great nostalgia trip. Also a great source for screencaps.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Pony: Gavin's delightful shoulder tattoo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This would have been great to have handy as I was going through those seasons, the sass is great and it's got ~vintage~ net gossip about the show and production drama.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I read one of the Rob Cesternino ones and it was cringey how the writer found all the sexist jokes hilarious.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It depends on the context for me. Some sexist jokes are funny, but they have to be good-natured and actually funny. I recall that season being really petulant and mean though, especially early on.

You're talking about Rodger? He's the one I remember being particularly gross.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dave is gonna win. I can feel it

Edit: anyone who doesn't take the shot to vote out Joe at the first possible opportunity is a total moron

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Pony: Gavin because one of his pet peeves was people who vape

Poison: Ron, because his profile basically sounds like he’s a life coach with a temper.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A reminder that players won't know EoE exists until the merge, so chances are pretty good Joe will stick around til probably the vote or two before the merge since challenge strength. Then 'better stop him before he goes on an immunity streak'.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I'm so over Joe and I think CBS cast him because he's popular in the tween girl demographic

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

A reminder that players won't know EoE exists until the merge, so chances are pretty good Joe will stick around til probably the vote or two before the merge since challenge strength. Then 'better stop him before he goes on an immunity streak'.
It seems like the kind of twist Jeff might announce at the top of the show, during "mat talk" for instance. Has it been said it's gonna be a surprise?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Dave is gonna win. I can feel it

Edit: anyone who doesn't take the shot to vote out Joe at the first possible opportunity is a total moron

100% agree

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I bought a Valentine's Day message from Nick for my SO on cameo. Only 40 bucks! :laffo:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

It seems like the kind of twist Jeff might announce at the top of the show, during "mat talk" for instance. Has it been said it's gonna be a surprise?

Yep

quote:

“You’re voted out, and what you don’t know, and what nobody knows, is that you’re going to turn a corner and see a torch,” Probst told ET Canada. [...]  “And the signpost will say, ‘You have a decision to make. If you’re done playing and you want your adventure to end, keep walking. If, however, you want a chance to get back in the game, take the torch and get in the boat.’ That’s all you know.”

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Propaganda Machine posted:

It depends on the context for me. Some sexist jokes are funny, but they have to be good-natured and actually funny. I recall that season being really petulant and mean though, especially early on.

You're talking about Rodger? He's the one I remember being particularly gross.

There was a lot of "girls can't win, they're only here to look good, which one's your favorite?, lets call dibs and fantasize about them doing naughty things to each other over footage of them bathing." And Rob was always in the middle of that stuff and the main narrator.

I loved it at the time but I imagine it doesn't age very well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It did not.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pony: Wentworth
Poison: the incel with a bad tat

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Pony: Aubry (I'm willing it into existence)
Poison: the annoying as gently caress dude talking about Monica in the RHAP interviews

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Poison: Gavin
Virgin pony: Eric
Returnee pony: Wentworth

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Pony: Dave
Poison: Lauren

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

If your poison isn’t Joe I don’t know what to say

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's actually kind of odd having 2 returnees on each tribe to start. Like those 2 are most likely going to be working together to get as many newbies on board with them as they can. Would be quite possible for a pair of returnees to try to make their tribe a cult like Rob did...

Either that or the newbies will just get together and get rid of the returnee power pair.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My Pony is the bartender

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"John Carroll started Marquesas as an anonymous male nurse on Tribe Rotu. And he ended it (seven episodes later) with the most spectacular downfall the show has ever seen. He became the first alliance leader to give away his numerical advantage, he became the first victim of the now-famous "coconut chop" strategy trap, and he had one of the most epic storylines I have ever seen on Survivor."

From that ancient survivor site, I just want to know what "coconut chop" strategy means.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It's that type of challenge where everyone has like an idol or something else that represents their life in the challenge, and which can withstand three whacks. You suffer three whacks and your thing falls or gets smashed or whatever and you're out of the challenge. In this instance it was a "coconut chop." (I don't remember what that was exactly, but imagine maybe like a net holding a bunch of coconuts, supported by three ropes. The coconuts fall to the ground when you have all three support ropes chopped, and you're out of the challenge.) Probst does different rounds of questions, and each player that gets it right gets to chop one of someone else's rope.

So when they get the questions right, the majority alliance quickly knocks all the outsiders out of the challenge, of course. Then they all go in order systemically chopping down their own alliance members' ropes -- transparently in the order of the internal hierarchy! The people on the bottom got a wake up call and went on to join up with the people outside the alliance to take power. Basically the people running the show (the Rotu 4 led by John the nurse) betrayed themselves with their hubris, and it was the first time on Survivor ever people really "flipped" on their alliance.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 16, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. As I remember it John had a tight alliance of 4 and then a bunch of hanger ons and then some obvious targets. The basic setup we see all the time. Boston Rob was trying to do the now classic tribe overthrow but couldn't get everyone on the same page so he got taken out. Then the very next challenge was the "coconut chop" where John and his crew clearly laid out the pecking order and what order everyone was going to be eliminated in. That basically confirmed everything Boston Rob had been telling them and they all got on the same page and overthrew John and Co.

It was one of those things we kind of see all the time now but back then people still had a hard time reading "alliances" and planning a few moves ahead. Boston Rob was arguably ahead of the curve a lot like Rob C was but he fell victim to another now classic - the unfortunate tribal swap.

The mechanics of the "coconut chop" is basically that the 4 people ended up working together to eliminate everyone else one by one in a clear order. So think of it like Players 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 working together to eliminate Players 7, 8, and 9. But then once its down to those six Players 1, 2, 3, and 4 just knock 6 off immediately and then 5. It becomes completely clear that 5 and 6 were only there to be necessary numbers and would be tossed aside when they were no longer needed.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 16, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ahh, okay, totally know what you mean. I guess I would've just called it by a pecking-order challenge. Those are always fun, that's a really good shake-up trick from the production side. I definitely like it more than the anonymous-questionnaire where they gang up on some chick to call her a lsut or whatever, those are usually just mean and mostly ends up singling out one person more than the peckin order.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

In One World everyone ganged up to praise Kim. :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The coconut chop challenge is like the loved ones visit where sometimes the best move is not to win.

It's a bit of a shame that the challenges have become a lot more streamlined so we don't get the goofy fun challenges anymore like the mixer and 'answer a bunch of questions about the spooky story Probst made up'.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

'answer a bunch of questions about the spooky story Probst made up'.
My favorite version of this is the one in Vanuatu. He even brings back parts of the story in the finale.

"And his grave, the one from the story...has been the island in the view of your beach this whole time!!!!!!!!!!!!"

IIRC Probst even makes them take the Spirit Stone over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just give me one night challenge this season Jeff.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 16, 2019