Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would loving love if they did a "who can stay awake" challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Bring back Chinese water torture!!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I didn't watch last season. Did I miss anything good?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The whole season was great!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

clown shoes posted:

no

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

clown shoes posted:

I think the current consensus in the fan community is that it was the best season in years and probably a Top 5 season overall.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm happy enough to go with best in years. That's not saying much.

Top five overall? No way.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

seriously? like top 5 might be a stretch for me personally, but it's a bit silly to say they didn't miss anything good. i mean it's fine if you didn't like it, but it's clear most other people did so that response seems, i dunno, disingenuous?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

precision posted:

They should definitely do a Challenge style stay awake all night while watching goofy little vignettes performed by locals intermittently while standing on something vaguely uncomfortable to stand on, then give them a puzzle based on what they were shown.

Though I guess that's kind of a big brother style competition.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

precision posted:

They hate long challenges.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why would they hate having to stand around for 12 hours for some doofus to decide to give up winning a million dollars?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
because jeff doesn't want to stand around for 12 hours and i don't blame him

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adus posted:

seriously? like top 5 might be a stretch for me personally, but it's a bit silly to say they didn't miss anything good. i mean it's fine if you didn't like it, but it's clear most other people did so that response seems, i dunno, disingenuous?

It was mostly a joke, sorry.

I guess I really liked most of the cast but not the gameplay. I found myself pulling my hair a lot of the time. Again, I think part of what makes it look so good is the crud we've gotten used to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zesty posted:

They hate long challenges.

I mean does Jeff really have to be there tho

Edit: last season was okay but definitely not top 5. My top 5 is composed of the 5 most hilariously insane seasons

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Last season was pretty solid, especially since you can point to nearly every cast member being memorable other than Jessica.

It'd have to be seen how it holds up after recency bias fades, but I think it'll do pretty well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ApplesandOranges posted:

Last season was pretty solid, especially since you can point to nearly every cast member being memorable other than Jessica.

She's more memorable for her tweets prior to going out.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

The coconut chop challenge is like the loved ones visit where sometimes the best move is not to win.

It's a bit of a shame that the challenges have become a lot more streamlined so we don't get the goofy fun challenges anymore like the mixer and 'answer a bunch of questions about the spooky story Probst made up'.
I loved the the objects on the shelf memory challenge from Worlds Apart where everyone was exhausted and brain dead.

AWarmBody posted:

Bring back Chinese water torture!!
:yeah:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I loved the the objects on the shelf memory challenge from Worlds Apart where everyone was exhausted and brain dead.
:yeah:

Wasn't that the one that was blatantly thrown by Mike? Or was it another one?

precision posted:

I mean does Jeff really have to be there tho

Edit: last season was okay but definitely not top 5. My top 5 is composed of the 5 most hilariously insane seasons

I think a lot of whether or not you enjoyed watching DvG is how much you enjoy Angelina/Natalie/Christian. Angelina and Natalie are pretty polarizing, and while Christian is very charismatic, I know I found myself tuning out a bit whenever he started talking at Tribal Council because of how verbose his answers were.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wasn't that the one that was blatantly thrown by Mike? Or was it another one?
I forgot it was a thrown challenge. Google says Mike and Rodney heroically ousted Joe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

It was mostly a joke, sorry.

I guess I really liked most of the cast but not the gameplay. I found myself pulling my hair a lot of the time. Again, I think part of what makes it look so good is the crud we've gotten used to.

FWIW, I'm still working through the old seasons and haven't gotten to this current era stuck in the same island yet and I thought DvG was good without knowing what kind of crud I'll eventually get used to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think a lot of whether or not you enjoyed watching DvG is how much you enjoy Angelina/Natalie/Christian. Angelina and Natalie are pretty polarizing, and while Christian is very charismatic, I know I found myself tuning out a bit whenever he started talking at Tribal Council because of how verbose his answers were.
Nick was a pretty popular character as well and characters like Davie, Gabby, Mike, and Alec all had people talking for awhile. Even pretty low key or flawed ones like Johnny ManyNames and Dan. I think they all contributed way more than Natalie unless you're just really, really, really into watching trainwrecks. But Angelina delivers way more there.

I think ultimately DvG's strength is that it had a very balanced cast and didn't rely too heavily on one or two characters. Yeah, Christian was the breakout in a lot of ways but he was far from the only person people talked about or enjoyed. I mean many argued that his game really was pretty lacking all told. I don't know how it will hold up over time but I think it should do well because there's a bunch of people in there for you to enjoy even if you don't really like Christian or Angelina.

But it also depends on what you watch for. I got for a nice balance of gameplay, personalities, and crazy. DvG delivered that very balanced to me. Obviously some people prefer pure chaos or pure gameplay or pure personalities.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It'd have to be seen how it holds up after recency bias fades, but I think it'll do pretty well.

gently caress. I've literally already forgotten who "Jessica" is.

My brain is swiss cheese. I'm so old.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DvG was for sure one of the top 10 seasons. It was quite solid with a cast that came in to play the game, although some of them did so quite poorly.

Even had the rare tribe with the low numbers going into merge managing to get the numbers in their favor... and then doing the unthinkable and pissing the numbers away back to the other tribes favor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DvG cast played HARD. They did a lot of dumb things but honestly, that's what playing hard usually results in. I'd argue there's no such thing as the classic ideal of a cast filled with "smart players." There's smart players who end up on the same cast together but then they end up trying to outsmart each other and end up making crazy or stupid moves. Its just the nature of the game and why all the "smartest" players are usually people who beat up on very "dumb" casts.

Basically put 2 smart Survivor players on a tribe together and you're waiting for the "I know he knows, but does he know I know he knows?" thing to start.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 17, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean you basically run into the Zeke/David situation where both of them were itching to pull the trigger on the other.

Not that Zeke is actually any good as a player, mind.

The John ouster in DvG was basically perfect because just about everyone played as perfectly as you can expect, it's just that the minority splitting their vote is galaxy brain level risk.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I make a joke of saying players "Zeking it" and it's basically me saying a reasonably smart person trying to outsmart someone else and talking themselves into overplaying and doing something stupid. It's a natural consequence of this game. Either you pull the trigger too early, just right, or too late. We will judge it harshly with perfect knowledge and hindsight but for them in the moment it's a crapshoot of trying to anticipate half a dozen other players motives and moves. It's kind of impossible and every winner gets their share of dumb luck that it works out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Khanstant posted:

FWIW, I'm still working through the old seasons and haven't gotten to this current era stuck in the same island yet and I thought DvG was good without knowing what kind of crud I'll eventually get used to.

Thanks for the perspective :3:

For the record, I'm the sort of viewer who hates "team TV" casting. So, Angelina remaining on my TV for the entire season very severely marred the season for me. You will notice a pointed lack of Russell Hantz in the following-

For shits and giggles, my tops, in chronological order:

7 - Pearl Islands
12 - Panama/Exile Island
13 - Cook Islands
15 - China
16 - Micronesia/Fans v Favorites
18 - Tocantins
28 - Cagayan
31 - Cambodia/Second Chances
33 - Millennials v Gen-X

Only because premiere is Wednesday, at which point this whole conversation will be moot!!!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What's "team tv casting?" My best guess is players who are basically there to be on tv? That doesn't bother me because like, it's a reality show so I dont complain when the rain gets stuff wet.

But Angelina never struck me that way at all. She very much wanted to play the game. She was super, duper bad at it, but she was trying VERY hard. And she very clearly had no concept of how she was coming off to others or would come off on tv. I mean her first memorable moment was that "get out of restaurant checks" thing. No sane person wanting to be a tv star says that.

Edit: Or maybe "makes for good tv" casting? I guess Angelina fits more into that, but again love her or hate her (and I mostly hated her) she played the game and actually pulled a few things off in the game. So I don't think she was just some loose cannon or drama bomb or something. I dunno.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 17, 2019

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
What I mean is the sort of person who was put there to be a character more than a player. I will grant that Angelina played hard, but she was also terrible and that's why and how she made it to the end, ultimately. I did not find her antics entertaining, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority with that. They need to sell some primetime ads geared towards 18-35 year olds, and that's how they're still on the air. Understanding this, I don't exactly appreciate it.

Weren't we just having this conversation about Special Agent Sheppard? And I came on his side as a human outside of the show, but ON the show he was miserable and I hated my brain having to deal with him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean Coach was clearly TV casting but you've got Tocantins in your top 10, so it really comes down to different strokes for different folks.

There are a bunch of seasons where, despite liking the finale/winner, the midgame stuff just turned me off so much I don't really want to rewatch them (One World, Worlds Apart, Koah Rong). Tocantins is also veering around there because I couldn't stand Coach and Tyson. I mean knowing that the Jalapao three turned the tides made it better, but...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I hated Coach at the time! Upon rewatch, his boot episode is a thing of beauty. With the exception of Panama, I really value dynamic gameplay. I love moving pieces and actual blindsides. Tocantins has that. The one minus in my mind was that the cross-tribe exile alliance went nowhere. But that barely matters due to how everything else panned out.

For Panama I adore Cirie, but post-swap Casaya was an incredible clown show and at that point if you don't love it.....

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'd find it hard to rank my top 10 Survivor seasons. God I hate this show so much.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I have very low hopes for this Extinction twist. I hope it isn't boring and lovely, but introducing it in the same season as bringing back players kind of grinds my gears. I think a returning player wins

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spokes posted:

I have very low hopes for this Extinction twist. I hope it isn't boring and lovely, but introducing it in the same season as bringing back players kind of grinds my gears. I think a returning player wins

The upside is that most people don't mind three of the four returnees. It's Joe that has most people rolling their eyes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ApplesandOranges posted:

The coconut chop challenge is like the loved ones visit where sometimes the best move is not to win.

It's a bit of a shame that the challenges have become a lot more streamlined so we don't get the goofy fun challenges anymore like the mixer and 'answer a bunch of questions about the spooky story Probst made up'.
I remember kind of recently in Cambodia they had that kind of challenge. It was fun. They had to run to different stations and pick an answer to a question. Fishbach picked a wrong answer and Abi Maria copied him then he was like "whoops" and changed his answer and went on to win the reward

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

I remember kind of recently in Cambodia they had that kind of challenge. It was fun. They had to run to different stations and pick an answer to a question. Fishbach picked a wrong answer and Abi Maria copied him then he was like "whoops" and changed his answer and went on to win the reward

I feel like this undersells things a bit. You had to run to each station, read a question, look at closed urns representing different answers, pick a scroll out of the correct urn, then carry it back to the start and spend several seconds untying and unraveling it to see if it was right. Abi thought she was being real smart when got to the station Fishbach was already at, stealthily waited for him to lift the lid off an urn, and then stole the scroll out from under him and ran off without even reading the question. Of course, Fishbach then immediately realized he had picked the wrong one, found the correct answer, and ran back to start. As a result, they both unraveled their scrolls at about the same time, and Abi found out she had the wrong answer like a second before Fishbach won. It was such a perfect moment that both I and Abi Maria thought he faked her out on purpose, but to my disappointment, he maintains to this day that it genuinely was an accident.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hope the players this season surprise me because the gimmick has me extremely unhyped for tomorrow

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

I'd find it hard to rank my top 10 Survivor seasons. God I hate this show so much.

I also watch 40 seasons of things I hate

That was sarcasm. I do not do that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's a bit of an abusive relationship. It delights me just barely enough to keep me hanging on.

:sigh:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There is not always love between me and Survivor, but there is always fascination, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I hope the players this season surprise me because the gimmick has me extremely unhyped for tomorrow

Hard same. That plus I wish they'd do either just returnees or just new players, instead of an awkward mix.

Having said that I'll probably still watch every episode.