Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Some men devote themselves to simplifying English Spelling

Melvil Dewey's Welcome Address posted:

“It is a great plezur to welcum this association which has done and is doing so much to preserv and make more widely known the history of the greatest state of the greatest nation. Yu hav askt me to tel yu briefly the meaning of this unique club.”

Some men devote themselves to creating a system of library classification that also somehow manages to be homophobic and racist

quote:

In 1932 topics relating to homosexuality were first added to the system under 132 (mental derangements) and 159.9 (abnormal psychology). In 1952 homosexuality was also included under 301.424 (the study of sexes in society). In 1989 it was added to 363.49 (social problems), a classification that continues in the current edition.[53]

In 1996 homosexuality was added to 306.7 (sexual relations) which remains the preferred location in the current edition, although books can also be found under 616.8583 (sexual practices viewed as medical disorders), however the official direction states that "Use 616.8583 for homosexuality only when the work treats homosexuality as a medical disorder, or focuses on arguing against the views of those who consider homosexuality to be a medical disorder. ... If in doubt, prefer a number other than 616.8583."[53]

The subject of religion has been very heavily favored toward Christianity, with nearly the whole 200s being used for Christianity, and only the 290s being used for all other religions, of which there are thousands.[54] While Christianity is a popular religion with 33% of the world subscribing to it, Islam has a very large following as well and only has DDC 297 to work with.[55] The entire 200 section has been largely the same since DDC 1, and it would likely be a large undertaking to completely rewrite this section, particularly for individual libraries to adapt to. Despite topics such as Islam only having a single digit associated with it, there is adequate room in that number, due to the ability to expand beyond the decimal point.[56]

Some men devote themselves to creating a health resort that would host the Olympics twice

quote:

As leisure time increased in the late 19th century, Lake Placid was discovered as a resort by the wealthy, who were drawn to the fashionable Lake Placid Club. Melvil Dewey, who invented the Dewey Decimal System, designed what was then called "Placid Park Club" in 1895. This inspired the village to change its name to Lake Placid, which became an incorporated village in 1900. Dewey kept the club open through the winter in 1905, which aided the development of winter sports in the area.

Some men devote themselves to excluding African-Americans and Jews from that same health club.

quote:

In 1904 the New York State Board of Regents received a petition demanding Dewey's removal as State Librarian because of his personal involvement in the Lake Placid Club's policy of excluding Jews and other religious and ethnic groups. While the Regents declined to remove Dewey, they did issue a public rebuke, and in the summer of 1905 he resigned as a result.[12][13]

Some men create career opportunities for women where there were none before.

quote:

In 1883 Dewey became librarian of Columbia College, and in the following year founded there the School of Library Economy, the first institution for the instruction of librarians ever organized. The proposal to establish the school was approved by the college's Board of Trustees on May 5, 1884. After a period of preparation, the school was officially opened on January 5, 1887, with an enrollment of 20 students—three men and 17 women. Women were admitted to the program at Dewey's insistence and against the wishes of the college's Regents.

Some men are later found to have done that because they were Weinstein-esque sex creeps who got MeToo'd in 1905

quote:

Dewey established a pattern of making powerful enemies early in life, and many of his friends found him difficult as well. As one biographer put it, "Although he did not lack friends, they were weary of coming to his defense, so endless a process it had become." Another biography refers to Dewey's "old nemesis—a persistent inability to control himself around women" as a chronic cause of trouble on the job. Indeed, when Dewey opened his School of Library Economy at Columbia College to women it was rumored that he asked for their bust sizes with their applications. Though the rumor turned out to be false he did require a photograph from each female applicant since "you cannot polish a pumpkin". In 1905 during a 10-day trip to Alaska sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA), a group he co-founded, he made unwelcome advances on four prominent librarians who informed Association officials. As a result, Dewey stepped down from the ALA.[8] Reports, allegations, and an investigation of Dewey's inappropriate and offensive behavior directed at women continued for decades after his departure from ALA.

Some men can do it all some men are:

Melvil Dewey

More information on Melvil Dewey can be found at your local library

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

More information on Melvil Dewey can be found at your local library

I’m having trouble finding any. What section is it in?

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

You’re a special kind of rear end in a top hat if you’re so racist and sexist that you get called out on it in 1905

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
well no one's perfect

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Sounds like Dewey's burning in hell.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

extra row of teeth posted:

You’re a special kind of rear end in a top hat if you’re so racist and sexist that you get called out on it in 1905

Ah drat, stuff used to be so chill and open minded, now everyone is censoring and calling me out on stuff I say and propose because of their feelings.

I can't stand this modern time and its hypocrisy anymore, I miss the 1860s, where you could get away with everything.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
So did he do any early century drugs? Opium, coca cola, that kind of thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
hell yeah this is the thread I've been waiting for. im a professional librarian and let me tell you i have some words to say on the Dewey decimal system vs Library of Congress classification.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is this melville's dewey OP?

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I had a grade school teacher tell me that I wouldn't get into college if I didn't know Dewey decimal. 🖕🖕eat poo poo lady I'm gonna get a triple super PhD just you watch

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dope stuff OP guy sounds like a true baller

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
fun fact: mountain dew's original name was melvil dewey

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i mean it was melvil "the mountain" dewey after all

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
dewey was a man of contrasts

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Is this melville's dewey OP?

this man is using the devil's spelling. Mods?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
deville*

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
what category would he have put hentai in?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ben Smash posted:

Special circular filing system.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Smash posted:

895 Literatures of East & Southeast Asia

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does cyberpunk have its own number?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Ben Smash posted:

*lifts you up by the collar*

Don't you know the Dewey decimal system? :catbert:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

895 Literatures of East & Southeast Asia

where does the literatures of north asia go? I would think that would be much smaller than east and southeast. unless russia is included I guess.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Doobie Decimal System; section 420.69 - "Piled High"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
990-999, History of Australasia, Pacific Ocean Islands, Atlantic Ocean Islands, Arctic Islands, Antarctica, and Extraterrestrial Worlds

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
You have to give it to the guy that his system has a ring to it's name.

Dewey Decimal System

Dewey Decimal System

Dewey

Decimal

System

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

where does the literatures of north asia go? I would think that would be much smaller than east and southeast. unless russia is included I guess.

each category has lots of sub categories and modifiers. The numbers can get really long and stupid. I have the DDS guide on my tablet but it's like 900 pages scanned .pdf (volume 1) so it wont load properly or something.

Dewey decimal system isn't so much a classification system as a shelving system. The catalogue will put books into many categories for search, but in the end the physical book has to be somewhere on the shelf so it's given a number. it's really only helpful for people that are browsing the shelves (aka no one).

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
He also defeated Truman! :woop:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Making my stinkhole all dewy :kimchi:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Making my stinkhole all dewy :kimchi:

Where were you in Alaska?

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
dewert "dewey" decimal, founder of the metric republic

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
drat, dewey!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Where were you in Alaska?

Unbirthed :(

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I’m having trouble finding any. What section is it in?

002.021 - Founding, scope, and usefulness of Libraries and Library Stuff

920.2 - Biographies of Librarians

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

Mooey Cow posted:

*lifts you up by the collar*

Don't you know the Dewey decimal system? :catbert:

No, that's why I asked. Also kudos for hoisting me! I'm not small.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Big Beef City posted:

Doobie Decimal System; section 420.69 - "Piled High"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ben Smash posted:

I had a grade school teacher tell me that I wouldn't get into college if I didn't know Dewey decimal. 🖕🖕eat poo poo lady I'm gonna get a triple super PhD just you watch

Yeah it was also really critical to learn cursive

In this society where it's rare that I actually have to physically write something down.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

each category has lots of sub categories and modifiers. The numbers can get really long and stupid. I have the DDS guide on my tablet but it's like 900 pages scanned .pdf (volume 1) so it wont load properly or something.

Dewey decimal system isn't so much a classification system as a shelving system. The catalogue will put books into many categories for search, but in the end the physical book has to be somewhere on the shelf so it's given a number. it's really only helpful for people that are browsing the shelves (aka no one)*.

Whoa there, my friend. I browse the shelves. :eng101:

But I'm also a cataloging librarian who can't switch off. :eng99:

In grad school, we had assignments where we were given enormous Dewey numbers, like 663.2260946915*, and then we'd have to diagram the numbers to break down what every digit signified. It was loads of fun!

*class number for the commercial processing of port wine :eng101:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As part of his mission to simplify English spelling, Dewey not only changed the spelling of his first name from "Melville" to "Melvil," he changed his last name to "Dui" for a time

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Do you know Dewey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rabbit Hill posted:

Whoa there, my friend. I browse the shelves. :eng101:

But I'm also a cataloging librarian who can't switch off. :eng99:

In grad school, we had assignments where we were given enormous Dewey numbers, like 663.2260946915*, and then we'd have to diagram the numbers to break down what every digit signified. It was loads of fun!

*class number for the commercial processing of port wine :eng101:

I took that exact same class. though after learning all that and the library of Congress system the professor admitted that these skills were largely pointless, as we should just copy the catalogue entry of a bigger library :v: