Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I propose that we name one of our new recruits Nepgear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Ibblebibble posted:

I propose that we name one of our new recruits Nepgear.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I don't get it? :confused:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Anticheese posted:

I don't get it? :confused:

-Nepgear is a Neptunia character
-Leal hates Neptunia
-:thejoke:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dr. Snark posted:

-Nepgear is a Neptunia character
-Leal hates Neptunia
-:thejoke:

Thanks. I had no idea what that thing was, or who the characters are. :shobon:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
GOD drat YOU ALL

megane
Jun 20, 2008

nep ad nausea

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Goddamit, I should've waited for this sale before buying all the Nep games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Journey to the Hub

Pretty cool art of some skeletons, the loading tip warns us to be aware of whose territory we build in.

While the wounded rest we can take a look at what we can offload our hashish for. This is selling it to the Shinobie Thieve's fence, it is a really bad idea to try and sell it to normal merchants. While there is a markup selling it here since its illegal, that mark up profits are cut thanks to the fence discount. So I instead hold our stash.

I bring everyone who isn't wounded into a group, Sandalphonse and Megane took some hits and are resting and Lela's leg is currently flopping around like a Havok engine physics object. Noire will be sticking around the tower and grind assassin training.

We take our stash and head northeast to the city of Mourn, which is supposedly a UC held city.

: The Bonefields are not meant for humanoid life. This is animal territory, a different world. Even the empire is starting to fade away from here. Not surprised with all the beak things around. And that Immortal fish guy.

: I am interested in the fish guy. Is he made of fish?

: ...

: Is he.... is he made of fish?

: ....

: .....

awkward

: HURR HURR

Pardon? Look I know the LP is bad but that kind of comment is just ru-

-ude...?

: ME WANT TO HUG TINY. TILL TINY EXPLODE

:gonk: Oh god his hand is bigger then his head :gonk:

Gorillo Bandits, they are big and use martial arts. Needless to say: run away!

We reach Mourn, the city looks like it had better days. The city is also inside a giant circular iron thing. It might be the top of a large collapsed tower.

A majority of the buildings are destroyed, but there is a bar thats functioning. We can ask the bartender about the city.

So slaves had an uprising and razed the city. Good. The UC doesn't hold this city anymore, its owned by the Tech Hunters now. She also mentions there being a giant white gorillo beast locked up in the tallest building in town. We can offer to kill it, but...

: With all due respect, no, don't touch those gates. I don't care if you think you're the next Tinfist, we lost two men trapping that thing in there. Only takes one wannabe hero to let it back out again.

Pshaw, how tough can it be?

While in town we can offload our hashish, at a 400% markup :getin: Doing runs from the swamps to Mourn is another route, though there are only 2 shops in town and its very possible to take all the money available in town in a single trip.

Mourn has a good amount of buildings available to purchase, including some buildings that require nearly end game researching to build yourself. While its tempting to buy a bunch of these buildings and set it up as your base of operations, you'll want to give it a pass because...

The city has jack for power. I quicksave and buy a building so we can see this, the city generates 0 power but consumes 173 power. While we can build some power generators in buildings we own, that power isn't exclusive to us. We'll need to generate 173 power first before we can start generating power we can use. Hard pass.

: They told us to not open this.

: Come on, there is 8 of us and only 1 of it. We can be big drat heroes!

: What can possibly go wrong?

: :stare:

:lol:

: *girlish shriek*

We nope the hell out of town and head on back to Catun. Along the way we see the remains of a barge, interesting. Either this area used to be underwater and the water dried up or a big tsunami hit. Whatever happened to cause the apocalypse.

Back at Catun we meet up in front of the thieves' guild. Hilariously there is the noble's house right next to the guild. Not the greatest choice for a location....

They do have a guard posted outside the door, but he can't look at 2 people at the same time. So he stares at Lela while Ibble picks the door behind him.

Nice digs, hope you don't mind if I make myself at home. The guard didn't seem to care that Lela ran past him and into the house. Being a noble's house, there has to be some nice stuff right?

Pearl vases, sword holders, ceramic bowls, fancy carpets...

A... skeleton eye

: :gonk:

:stonk:

You're a sick gently caress Lord Shiro

We start to overload the backpacks, but we can trade items between party members from a distance by dragging items from the inventory onto their portrait, so I keep Average Lettuce near the house. I like to imagine we are throwing pearl vases and bowls out the door from behind the guard, who is still trying to figure out where that ninja who was standing in front of him went.

We head the the upstairs of the building and we find the man himself, along with his guard retinue. Thankfully everyone is asleep, he may be a noble but he is pretty drat buff.

There are 2 safes in his room, I went to check my KO chances with him and it was in the low 60s. Probably for the best to NOT risk getting caught there.

The safes have some nice stuff in them, sadly Lela and Ibble only got a 60% chance of succeeding. I forgot Noire had high thievery skill and didn't think to bring her, so these items remain for now.

It is a shame that stealing will automatically cut the price of items by half, but considering how many you can throw in your inventory I guess thats the price you pay. Or earn. Or something.

We go to head out of town and see the gate guards getting their rear end kicked by a few beakthings. We stay inside until they are taken care of, then I proceed to rip out all their delicious meat and animal skin. Skins can be sold for a good enough price (220 C) but I'll keep them for turning into leather.

Huh. While walking back to Mourn we stumble across a leviathan. Leviathans are the biggest wildlife in the game, also the most dangerous. They have over 3.5k health on their limbs and 7.3k for their chest and stomach, along with nearly 7k units of blood. They hit really hard and they do AOE, but they are pretty slow and for the most part fairly chill. They have orbs that you can butcher off them if you can kill them that sell for a decent amount.

Usually these guys are in the northwest part of the map, but it seems some can spawn down south.

Back in Mourn we stop by the bar for some food and spot an NPC bragging about stealing from the UC nobles.

He does have a bounty on him for 10k. But eh, it'd be hypocritical to turn him in for his bounty of stealing stuff when we just did that ourselves :v:

We continue east past Mourn in our journey around the world.

We enter the area of Greyshelf, where it is currently raining. I was wrong before, rain DOES effect perception a bit. Not as harshly as dust storms in the desert however.

: Okay, what about grievewraiths? They're definitely real.

: I heard they eat brains.

: Nah, that ain't grievewraiths. Grievewraiths don't eat meat.... They just possess you and then burst you inside out.

: ... Ah okay, that's SO much better. And there I was worried for a second...

With that foreboding story out of the way, we come across a destroyed building with a few books around it. Also 2 more skeleton eyes that we take cause they're worth a good amount of cash, to the dismay of our skeleton party members.

We discover a city labelled as "unknown", on the top of an extremely steep hill.

A REALLY steep hill. There is a little path on the northern side of the hill we can walk up on.

We enter the city of Spring, capital of a group called the Anti Slavers. Sounds like a promising place.

Entering the domed building in the center we apparently teleported back to Flotsam Village. No wait, it just looks the same. There is an NPC named Tinfist inside with a 50k bounty on his head.

: Goddamn! It's Tinfist! You're my hero!

: Heheh! Fists of Justice!

We head on back westward towards the Swamps, with the intent of heading north of them.

And yes, the only reason I went there was for that line :colbert:

Along the way we come across Gorillo bandits, beak things and garrus all fighting one another. Garrus are pack beasts that kinda look like Falkor from Neverending Story had a baby with a one humped camel.

Oh god we hit more beak things and they're chasing us across the river. Our swim skills suck, but thankfully most of the beak things only hit Shootaboy and run off when he gets ko'd :v:

So the big threat with beak things, beyond the hard hits and AOE, is that they eat people. Most humanoid creatures will leave you be after smacking you down, but beasts will actively eat ko'd people. I think there isn't a way for them to eat things in the water, which is why they took off after Shootaboy got ko'd.

One beak thing did follow us onto shore and we took it out. Made a campfire so we can cook its delicious meat while we patch up Shootaboy. Even though he got ko'd in the water nothing bad happened, no drowning or anything.

Heading on back through the swamps, I'm sorry I know its hard to see but its night, its in the swamp which has this fog effect and the person is in dark clothes. But it is a wandering assassin, who belong to the Shinobi Thieve's. They are of course allied to us, they randomly appear in places and wander around and will give us a helping hand if we are in a fight. I'm sure more then a handful of people have a story about a wandering assassin popping out and helping them at a critical moment.

We stop at a swamp village but quickly move on as the drat place doesn't have a bar or any place that provides beds :argh:

Continuing through the swamp we had a tussle with some red sabres, Drakenel (Pia) has unique lines to healing characters, which is why I wanted to pick them. There are a few other unique recruits in Flotsam village, but they all share the unique lines (Namely about the Holy Nation) except for Pia, who has those lines as well as medical lines.

: Relax! I'm here to save the day! Wait... what is that? I have no idea what I'm doing...

You know, I respect this red sabre. She has some real stones to, after being beaten down, her weapon and armor taken away and with a crippled leg, decide getting up and chasing after the party of 12 that just beat her and her fellow bandit's asses.

We arrive at the Borderlands, the game takes on a cringe worthy sense of humor while farming for guns and getting trash drops that makes us use the same gun for 20 levels. Wait, wrong Borderlands.

: Did I ever thank you guys for getting me out of that bar in the Swamps? Yeah... One time I drank so much sake that I made a wager with a cactus. It was destined to go downhill from there...

:yaycloud:

We take a brief stop at the city of Squin, a Shek owned city. The Shek Kingdom is the third main faction, though they don't hold as much territory compared to the UC or Holy Nation.

: Watch your fragile bones, flatskin.

: Hmph. More outsiders. First our cities fall, next we welcome the flatskin with open arms. What next....

Oh, and while the HN was both racists and slavers, and the UC are slavers, the Shek are racist but don't practice slavery. They also insult Hivers and Skeletons, but they're focusing on the humans in the party for some reason.

We take a seat in one of their large bars. I was looking for a particular recruit but they weren't here.

: The Shek will crush every last flatskin nest in this world! The greedy, fat cowards repulse me. Raise your sword. Prove your worth if you are to set foot in my kingdom, flatskin!

Shek are also a proud warrior race who only wants war, to the point their current ruler killed the last ruler just to impose a rule to stop warring so hard because its actively causing their race to become extinct.

Let's go somewhere a little less caustic. As an aside, beyond a few unique recruits most Shek recruits will refuse to speak with you if you are not a Shek yourself. Good thing we got Turt around.

Finally we reach the end of our world tour, the city of The Hub.

Much like Mourn it is a city that has seen better days. Tons of destroyed buildings here, with a functioning bar and a Shinobi thieves' tower. The city is owned by Holy Nation Outlaws, and its pretty much in the middle of the map. Of course Holy Nations is north of the city.

There are a few lore books in a shack that explains whats up with the Hub. Beyond this report, Ludin has a few others:

quote:

Ludin's Report II
Part of an official report with the Holy Nation seal:

"High Paladin Ludin reporting his patrol.

During our patrol on the southern border, Paladin Lusac's hound spotted shadowy figures atop the hill on which the Hub sits. At this point, the day was getting late and Okran's light had almost fully passed the eastern hill so that we could not clearly see who the intruders were.

Lusac's hound grew increasingly more agitated until it eventually managed to escape his hold and chase after the intruders inside of the ruin. We followed, but during our ascension we lost sight of them. The Hub itself was still empty, but it appeared that somebody had indeed been there: Doors were opened and items had been moved, for example.

The hound could not be found anywhere within, most likely it was killed during the chase. It is my belief that the Shek may have sent scouts to see if the Hub was retaken. We couldn't see anyone retreating down the southern rampart so they must have set up camp in a nearby cave.

I suggest we send patrols deeper south to prevent any further incursions. I also recommend that Lusac be sent home for a few days, the loss of his hound has been a blow to him."

Ludins Report III
Part of an official report with the Holy Nation seal:

"High Paladin Ludin reporting his investigaion of the Hub.

As instructed, we reached the Hub under cover of night. We heard voices when we got close to the walls, both female and male, but once past the gate, the voices vanished and the Hub was silent again. Again, there had been signs of movement inside but after thoroughly searching the place we found no one.

However, it was when I was investigating the bar that I heard Sentinel Amphetio's scream. We looked everywhere but couldn't find him, nor could we find any sign of fighting; not even a drop of blood! It was as if that damned place itself had swallowed him. We didn't stay any longer and quickly withdrew to the outpost.

That place is cursed, the darkness has taken hold of the town, and it must have been this darkness that killed the Shek soldiers and Lusac's hound. I previously reported the presence of potential Shek scouts but I know now that the shadows were in fact wraiths. The Hub must be torn down and scorched to purify the hill and to cut off the corruption's spread!"

Sounds like the Holy Nation sees the place as haunted, which means they will most likely leave this place alone. Can't think of a better place to hide out at. There are also 2 more lore books:

quote:

High Priest Varloo gives his opinion on the Hub's abandonment:

"As history has shown, the Hub cannot be held.

Everytime we try, we inevitably lose it within months. The recent loss at the hands of the Empire was further proof of that: Narko shook the world and made two entire sections of the southern wall collapse. And, no later than this week, wraiths have appeared and taken one of our holy brothers.

As long as Narko's darkness covers the place, we cannot hold it. For too long have we fought with the false enemy! We must redirect our attention to the Dark Demoness' first minions, only by destroying the dark ones can we weaken her influence."

quote:

High Priest Tyluig gives his opinion on the Hub's abandonment:

"While brother Varloo is right on the fact that the Hub cannot be held for now, he is mistaken as to the reason why. Narko's power did not increase significantly in the last years; It is Okran's light that has been wavering for some time now.

Our faith is the conduit that allows Okran's grace to be bestowed upon us. We have let our society fall into decay and debauchery and none but we are to be blamed. Women acting with ignorant brazenness, children shaming their fathers, men forgetting the deeply rooted traditions of our holy society...

It is not the Dark Demoness' minions that have been covering the light, it is we. If we are to avoid our lost brother's fate, we must purify ourselves! Only then can we save this world from damnation."

: SKELETONS!

The citizens here are former Holy Nation people, similar to how Flotsam ninjas still follow Okran these citizens will also have a phobia of skeletons. However they don't attack on sight, just sling insults.

Much like Mourn, the majority of the destroyed buildings are available to buy. Unlike Mourn the city both A: Generates some power (50) and B: Consumes very little (6). Buying destroyed buildings requires us to build it back up, as if we placed a blueprint of our own. We get to use less materials rebuilding a destroyed building however. I grab a stormhouse building close to the shinobi thieves' tower.

To get more materials I do a run to the nearby Holy Nation city of Stack. Why get our own materials when the Holy Nation has already provided them and it just requires us to pick them up?

Stack is a fairly big city, has quite a few bars and one of each shop type.

Which is weird that their general storage building is still a tiny shack. After giving the usual greeting to the HN patrol inside we start grabbing stuff. Building materials, food, leather and fabrics.

On the way out Lela gets spotted and gets a harpoon to the leg for her troubles.

: Tainted woman!

: Seize the unholy heretic!

And finished! A stormhouse is the next step up from a shack. Its bigger, but also has a rooftop that we can build stuff on. I'm sticking with buying a building in town as building a base of our own will get the Holy Nation giving us poo poo real quick. For now this gives us a place to recoup, do some research and do some training in.

Oh hey, looks like freeing Holy Nation Outlaw people from Fogmen poles and healing them has had some positive effect on relationship after all, a whole 0.0524538 points! Something that is neat is that our faction is listed as the city residents.

On the roof I build a melee defense sparring mat, comes with the same mod as the martial arts mat. Its hilarious that you can use dummies to train melee attack but got nothing to train melee defense with in the vanilla game. This lets us train to 20 defense, the mk3 training dummies lets us train attack to 15 so I think its fair.

While training is going on I send Lela and Noire past Stack to some Holy Farms. They usually have food laying around and you can never have too much food :btroll:

: Holy Nation land? Well isn't this just my lucky day... This woman-hating hell hole is no place for a lady.

Nor an escaped slave from their most prominent slave camps!

Holy Nation farms have.... get this... Farms on them. A few buildings, but most importantly they don't have walls. My first slave start almost ended with everyone starving to death because of every place having walls, making it impossible to get access to food. This was before I trained hyper ninjas by sneaking in the cages. I eventually came across a farm and they had food which saved my game.

Sadly this farm doesn't have a storage building, it has a barracks and a residential building in it. I swipe their cooked veggies off the table and leave the farmers be.

Heading even further north to another farm... And it was this one in particular that I stumbled across my first go around.

This one has one residential, one empty building (I'm assuming you can buy this if you weren't hostile with the HN) and one storage building.

Oooh yeah. That'll do. Building had a ton of rations and foodcubes laying around. It also had a blueprint (top right item) for advance harpoonery, an expensive as hell blueprint (over 20k cats). I hold onto it until we do the proper research to unlock its contents.

Back at home I decide to do some AFK athletics grinding for the entire team. I built an iron ore box on top of the stormhouse and set one person to mine and haul to it, and everyone else set to bodyguard that person. They do this lap over and over again while I use the ninjas to steal materials from the HN or doing recruiting runs.

Speaking of recruit runs, Ibble comes across this while in the swamps.

: Look at this 'un Margery, it's a bleeding Fogman *hic*

: My name ain't Margery...

: E's only a bloody bleedin' bloody Fogman innie, Margery?

: A bleedin' Fogman?! *hic*

: I'm not a Fogman. I'm just a normal Hiver...

: Bleedin' 'ell! A talking bloody Fogman, innit?!

: Bleedin' 'ell!

: No really, I'm not a...

: We're gonna be bloody rich! Get 'im!

: No.

: Aww....

In the UC territory, Noire comes across a recruit.

: Sponsor? But you're just a kid!

: And you're an adult, a stupid one at that. What could you know about deciphering generator core wiring, salt distillation, wound purifiers, even building designs? I figured that stuff out at ten, what did you do when you were ten? Don't answer that, just promise to keep me safe and you'll get all the benefits of my work. And my stellar interpersonal skills.

: Can you fight?

: I fix black eyes and hemorrhages, not make them.

: Okay... And how much "sponsorship" am I gonna have to pay you?

: Well, see, I kinda broke some stuff in a shop here.... 2,500 Cats covers it.

: Here you go. Let's get to work.

Meet our newest recruit Sordas Volantry. Starts with high science and medic skills, and will be the first of our goon stay at home squad, researching everything we need and being a home medic.

While in town we overhear some conversation.

: 'Ey, what's with those rags you're wearing, anyway? Looks like you've been chewed on by a gutter... Surprised the guards haven't arrested you on the spot in that state, hahaha...

: Really? This again? I've got more important things to worry about right now than fashion...

: .... I tease but, you know, I worry. They're clamping down on poverty lately and I don't wanna lose my drinking bud...

: *sigh*

: .... I know.

:smithcloud:

Well after that depressing bit of dialogue, we have to run our new recruit all the way back to The Hub. Just running, Noire and Sordas go 18 MPH, this isn't good as most things can run faster.

If Noire picks up Sordas, now they move 26 MPH :v:

Back at the Hub, I get hit with a dialogue from everyone running laps. Its a Dust Bandit Boss, these guys are the bandits who hang around the Borderlands. I tell him to gently caress off.

Its then I realize the boss is in the middle of our entire crew by himself. Dust Boss' are annoyingly quick, and they seem to see through stealth crazy easy. I'll have people Naruto running past them just for them to immediately break stealth and the Dust Boss will run halfway across the world trying to extort them and somehow managing to stay close enough to continue being aggro'd despite going slower then whoever they're chasing.

Dust Bandits use sabres and, annoyingly, crossbows. Since we number them 1 to 1 they aren't all that bad as Dust bandits have their skills in the 20s, just like our party member.

But they don't have a big rear end bull bodying people on the first hit.

Continuing with recruiting, Lela finds the person I was looking for in Squin.

: Er... no?

: Good. Don't... Because I can still prove my worth in battle without them... I have a question for you, flatskin. What do you do if you are outnumbered on the battlefield?

: Fight tactically. You take out the weakest opponents first.

(also you have a giant bull AOE the crowd)

: Truth. We must even the odds against us when our situation looks bleak. We fight the enemy to the death, and we die with honor on the battlefield. But I didn't die... I awoke, surrounded by death, b ut still alive. They labeled me a deserter and cut my horns on my return. I'm not longer a warrior... but a servant.

: But you fought bravely. You didn't deserve that.

: Perhaps. Either way, I will not remain here as an unclad warrior. But you, you seem different to the other outsiders I have met, flatskin... Let us band together. I am intrigued to fight alongside you.

: Sure, what could go wrong?

The game's inconsistency to which uniques allow us to edit them right then and there and which ones require running to a surgeon baffles me. Anyways meet AnilEhilated, a disgraced warrior.

She has some ok starting combat skills, I go with heavy weapons on her. I'll note at some point I switch Turt to polearms and give heavy weapons to CommisarMecha.

Back in the hub, we hit research level 3 and I upgrade the research bench. Some constructed items can be upgraded with a simple upgrade button that you press, it'll show you what is needed to further upgrade it. Research benches 2 and up use power, which is why I wanted to settle in a place that already has some power ready.

Things I want to focus on now is researching various farming plots. We'll need 2 books and 2 of whatever crop we want to research. As the army grows, it becomes less feasible to feed them off stealing stuff and buying from the bar.

The gameplan for research right now is to research hydroponics, this will allow us to grow whatever crop regardless of the local climate. It will require power however, so I make sure to research down the wind theory line for wind turbines, small turbines and turbines 2. Never use fuel, protect the environment, etc.

So we end with everyone pitching in to build up our new research bench. We'll be settling for a bit here, as I said doing research, training people and smacking around Dust Bandits and selling their gear for cash.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 27, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And now we're officially in the midgame :allears: Also it's kind of hilarious to me that one of the last places you visit is the frickin' Hub, where 90% of the other starts begin. Good job on finding Izumi too, and good luck keeping her in research books.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Leal posted:

Well after that depressing bit of dialogue, we have to run our new recruit all the way back to The Hub. Just running, Noire and Sordas go 18 MPH, this isn't good as most things can run faster.

Not the most... auspicious start, I have to say.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Did I get added and I just missed it? If so, I'm blind as a bat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Not the most... auspicious start, I have to say.

dervinosdoom posted:

Did I get added and I just missed it? If so, I'm blind as a bat.

You are named, I've played a few updates ahead.

I uh

Really like playing this game :v:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Awesome! I have it and I've honestly learned a ton just with the few updates. Having fun with the super sneak slave start.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think you've got two screenshots out of order, the ones about recruiting AnilEhilated.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
These 'start as a single person/small group, end up leading an empire' games are so rad, even better when the game's actually alright. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are there no modes of transportation in this game?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are there no modes of transportation in this game?

Your feet!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Leal posted:

Your feet!

Or particularly swole ninjas.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The dev's tried to add animal mounts over the years, but nothing really panned out. As I understand it, Lo-Fi relied on premade asset packs for quite a few elements in Kenshi. Unfortunately, when the time had come to add mounts, none of the assets he wanted to use meshed well with the assets that were already in the game, so you'd better get used to footslogging, boyo! Incidentally, that reason is also why there's no dual-wielding (none of the skeletons- as in model skeletons, not the robot dudes) had dual-wielding animations), and why a full two sets of weapons (halberds and one-handed swords) are of Japanese origin.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Nice to see this here, I got the game three years ago and bounced off hard. Now that it's in final release and got some mods going I figure I'll give it another shot.

I'd like to get in on the ninja party if you please. I personally favor ranged combat or science, but any race and role is acceptable. Male, in the case of races with gender dimorphism.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Good to see even a videogame bug version of me is a drunk and a loser with terrible luck :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Leal posted:

This cracked me up. It's just the right kind of jank that I want from these games. Also the pose for Sordas is perfect

I took a short dip into the game with the wanderer start to get familiar with controls and such. What town do people recommend as an early place to hang out and mine/lure mobs? I started in the Hub and it's a lovely place with one vendor and no guards to help me with fights. And I also couldn't find a copper node which sucked since iron sells for less.

Speaking of mining, do you have to take the mined ore out and directly into an inventory? I mined like ten pieces and just dropped them from the mine on the ground but couldn't pick them up afterwards so yeah go me for wasting a whole night in game :doh:

dervinosdoom posted:

Awesome! I have it and I've honestly learned a ton just with the few updates. Having fun with the super sneak slave start.
The horrible power-gamer in me wants to abuse this start a lot and I'm gonna do it once I'm comfortable with my handle on the game. Abusing games to get big numbers is good and cool

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tin Tim posted:

This cracked me up. It's just the right kind of jank that I want from these games. Also the pose for Sordas is perfect

IIRC the game has a setting where everyone in a group runs at the speed of the slowest member. Dunno why this is even an option; in a world with loving BEAK THIIINGS letting your weakest and slowest hang behind is hardly optimal. Unless you're gazelle :v:

Tin Tim posted:

I took a short dip into the game with the wanderer start to get familiar with controls and such. What town do people recommend as an early place to hang out and mine/lure mobs? I started in the Hub and it's a lovely place with one vendor and no guards to help me with fights. And I also couldn't find a copper node which sucked since iron sells for less.

Squin, Squin, Squin. The Shek guards are extremely tough, you can level up snaking and stealing quickly, there's mineral nodes just a short distance away from the town, you can get Ruka (or AnilEhilated, as she's known here) here, maybe even a few more unique Sheks and non-unique Shek recruits. Not to mention a few cheap houses too (at least, cheap for the time you should start considering buying a house)! The only problem is that its power sources are mostly wind-based and I don't recall it having a lot of power to begin with, so a starting base there might be a little slow.

Tin Tim posted:

Speaking of mining, do you have to take the mined ore out and directly into an inventory? I mined like ten pieces and just dropped them from the mine on the ground but couldn't pick them up afterwards so yeah go me for wasting a whole night in game :doh:

I think so, yeah. I'd suggest building a container and automating their behaviour to auto-carry to said container. I think you have to shift+right-click the ore deposit and shift+right-click the container.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thx for the info. I'm a little hesistant to steal in that town though. I mean my starter guy should not be able to get anything without being caught and those shek guys will destroy me, no?

Also I picked up the free drinking buddy in the hub and was bummed to see that he walks so drat slowly. Then I noticed that the creator put some real heavy chain pants on him. I took those and gave him my rags and oh hey now we're both moving like normal dudes. But he's still a little slower than me which puzzles me. He has no weight issues and also has higher athletics than me but I'm still 2 mph faster and can't figure out why

E: Oh, and one other thing. How do you tell what items exactly cost when buying them? I can see the value, a sell value, and the markup. But I'm not really getting the price together by adding the numbers

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 27, 2019

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tin Tim posted:

Thx for the info. I'm a little hesistant to steal in that town though. I mean my starter guy should not be able to get anything without being caught and those shek guys will destroy me, no?

I don't think guards strike to kill, though the Shek Guardians do have large swords and high stats that would probably cause more damage than the choppers the Holy Nation has. Like I said though, they usually don't strike to kill, and the constant revives will build you up good and strong. That said, I'm a save/reload kind of guy, so if you're playing ironman this might be suboptimal. Even so though, you can definitely build up sneaking skills just by parking your dude in sneak mode in a shop corner and leaving them there while you do something else.

EDIT: Basically, just level up your sneak first before going on a stealing spree.

Tin Tim posted:

Also I picked up the free drinking buddy in the hub and was bummed to see that he walks so drat slowly. Then I noticed that the creator put some real heavy chain pants on him. I took those and gave him my rags and oh hey now we're both moving like normal dudes. But he's still a little slower than me which puzzles me. He has no weight issues and also has higher athletics than me but I'm still 2 mph faster and can't figure out why

Are you wearing wooden shoes and he isn't? Wooden shoes as a 25% bonus to speed in exchange for a lack of armour.

Tin Tim posted:

E: Oh, and one other thing. How do you tell what items exactly cost when buying them? I can see the value, a sell value, and the markup. But I'm not really getting the price together by adding the numbers

IIRC the 'Value' is how much the item costs in that particular shop, and includes the markup price.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright lets hold a vote while I'm playing ahead. On the path to taking out the HN we need to train up our guys cause HN dudes are loving buff. There are 2 options for training up:

A: We can hang around the Swamp area and train on swamp ninjas and red sabres

B: Head back into UC territory and beat up on manhunters, slavers and the city heroes. Note that this will mean basing up in UC territory, who will demand taxes from us.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A - to become the ninja, you must first beat up a bunch of ninja

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Bastard slavers

Also, add me I guess. Don't care what

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

B Revenge on all slavers

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Taxes are worth Beating up slavers! No, really, they are- we beat up enough dudes and take their stuff to sell, we can easily afford the UCs' taxes. Also, we should be able to parlay that kind of behaviour into getting in good with TINFIST and his FISTS OF JUSTICE!™ too, so that's nice.

EDIT: I have a suggestion for taking down the HN and the skills we need, but I'm afraid it might be spoilery. Would it be okay to put my suggestion in tags?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Anti-Ninja Shinobi Brigade.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Taxes are worth Beating up slavers! No, really, they are- we beat up enough dudes and take their stuff to sell, we can easily afford the UCs' taxes. Also, we should be able to parlay that kind of behaviour into getting in good with TINFIST and his FISTS OF JUSTICE!™ too, so that's nice.

EDIT: I have a suggestion for taking down the HN and the skills we need, but I'm afraid it might be spoilery. Would it be okay to put my suggestion in tags?

Go for it

Is it the broken skeleton army?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nah, nothing quite so complex :shobon: I was simply wondering if we could train a bunch of sneaky buggers and have them kidnap Lord Phoenix to sell to the Shek. NOT the Flotsam Ninjas, they couldn't handle him if he escaped. But putting him in an Admag prison will not only net you all the Cats, but also a mighty Shek waifu warrior.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Beating slavers is part of a complete breakfast.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hell, let's go bash some fash slavers.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Beat up slavers, take all their stuff, and then pay their taxes with their own money.

Can you smuggle weapons to slaves and then pick their locks or similar, because if so you should

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A mix between Dwarf Fortress, Jank, and Mount and Blade?!
With Naruto Running?!

Sign me up as Velo
If I get human, give me some obnoxiously bright hair, otherwise unfussed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Seems like I'm getting a handle on the game. I'm nearing the end of week one and I'm missing one b-mat to finish a house in squin. Gonna make a copper mining loop there before my other guys set out to explore the map.

I got kinda lucky with two decent groups of dust bandits that wandered close enough to the city. I just attacked them, ran away, watched the guards maul them, swooped in to steal all weapons and dropped their armor on the ground, beat up any cripples around, and then collected&sold the loot after it was over....this game takes murder hobos to a whole new level

Btw, do npcs pick up items from the ground?

Also, swamp lyfe for the thread