Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
An infant, lying in the dust crying, all alone on the mountain way. Were they lost, abandoned, or sacrificed? Whatever the reason survival surely wasn’t one of them. For this is the land of ogres, monstrous creatures with an appetite for human flesh. Or so they say, except you were not devoured. One of those beasts found you. Took you in. Raised you as their own. But what type of ogre discovered you?

A) An Ogre Mage. A being of two worlds, the natural world and the Wyld. Able to break the law of reality by reaching through it.
B) An Ogre Knight. A paradox, bound to a Code of Honor, yet living in complete isolation from any society that might respect such values.
C) An Ogre Scholar. Caring for an old ruined library.
D) An Ogre Beserker. A beast, surely the very image shared over campfires to frighten travelers passing near these mountains.
E) An Ogre ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ah, several good options, but I have to go with

B) Ogre Knight

For honor!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

I want to know what Ogres read.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

E - an Ogre Milliner

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

sheep-dodger posted:

E - an Ogre Milliner

Hah! Agreed.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mage

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
An Ogre Thief. It's remarkable how low the standard for "moving silently" can be when most of your marks expect you to shake the earth with your footsteps.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

sheep-dodger posted:

E - an Ogre Milliner

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

sheep-dodger posted:

E - an Ogre Milliner

Don’t hat the player, hat the game.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

C, I like books

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

super sweet best pal posted:

C

I want to know what Ogres read.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
B honor is better than knowledge or craft.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A, because breaking things with explosions is neat.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

sheep-dodger posted:

E - an Ogre Milliner

To choose anything else would be a hat-astrophe

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
E) Ogre Cannibal Chef. He is fattening us.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Crazycryodude posted:

C, I like books

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Crazycryodude posted:

C, I like books

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I believe that is 5 votes for both Scholar and Milliner (which to my disgrace I initially mistook for being someone who ran a mill), 2 for the Knight and Mage, leaving 1 each for a Thief or a Cannibal Cook.

In this case I will close voting and break the tie by choosing the Milliner because it is something I would never have thought of myself and one of the key principles for this game is that we Play to Find Out. So let’s find out why this Ogre Milliner is doing in the world and why they have taken in this orphan child.

For those who have entered the thread marked with PbtA it means “Powered by the Apocalypse” and it is a genre of games started by Apocalypse World. I won’t go into the mechanics or even specifically which iteration I’m using (for now at least) but the DM should:

Make the world seem real
Make the characters lives not boring
Play to find out

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm excited.

We're gonna kill some humies with a fedora, m'ogress.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Looking forward to our mentor rolling a 1 on our crucial, foundational lesson. This results in us simply gutting woodland creatures and slapping them down on ladies heads. This is unsurprisingly super popular among the ogre populace and our mentor attempts to murder us out of jealousy.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The child’s early years were happy. All it knew was that it was loved. It was “Littl’un” and its Ogre was “Big’un.”

“Big’un, what are you doing?”

While it often felt that Big’un spent all of their time playing with Littl’un, throwing them in the air, chasing them around the cave, occasionally Big’un would retire to the pretty cave. The pretty cave was unlike the front cave. While the front cave was dark, wet and foreboding, the pretty cave was bright. Filled with wood and brass furniture, and best of all shelves of felt, furs, feathers which Big’un let Littl’un play with, even fashioning into costumes for royalty, knights or explorers.

Big’un looked up from their work, their single bulbous eye magnified by a large glass held in place by what seemed a crown of gold. On their left hand’s little finger, a purple felt nub was was tightly fastened and Big’un was carefully embroidering gold stitch into a bunch of grapes. They watched as Littl’un climbed up the chair on a series of rungs that had been etched into the legs and back allowing them to find their favourite place nestled into Bug’un’s shoulder.

“Well littl’un, you know how I makes you costumes and such for our games?”

Littl’un nodded.

“The reason I cans be doing such stitching and fashioning is because I make these here hats.”

Littl’un frowned.

“But that hat is too small for you and it be too big for me!”

“You’re right. I make it for guests who sometimes drop by here parts and pay me for the work.

“Pay?”

“Yes, although I’m good with fabrics and materials, I can’t make no chair, desks and shelves. And I buy most of the things I turn into your costumes.”

Big’un paused.

“Would you like to meet someone I work for?”

“Yes, please!”

“They’ll be around here next week. You’ll have to do exactly as I say. Ways outside the cave differ from our fun.”

Who does the Ogre work for?

A) A local city has certain patrons in the know who come out to the mountains to get the finest in haute couture hats.
B) Monsters, fae, creatures from the Wyld venture into the natural realm for the sole reason of owning one of Big’un‘s hats.
C) ...

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
C: Why not both?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B, Medusa and other monsters with 'non standard head shapes'.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yes, please!

c) Why not both?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
C. Why not more than both?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
C: The Ogre's cave is a sort of neutral zone. The city's wealthy women may not like it, and may talk behand their hands at it, but they pay the price and go anyway. The gorgons, harpies, and other creatures do the same. They all come for the hats.

Why are these particular hats worthy of such things? Let's find out!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Obviously they're magic hats.

Of course we would never put curses in them. Or mind control backdoors...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Cloud Potato posted:

C: Why not both?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C Both. As long as you've got a head, we can hat it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Obviously they're magic hats.

Of course we would never put curses in them. Or mind control backdoors...

Bunnies, on the other hand...

tons of them. The hat making ogre is also secretly a bunny breeder, making sure every magician can draw one out of his hat

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Nyaa posted:

C. Why not more than both?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

C: The Ogre's cave is a sort of neutral zone. The city's wealthy women may not like it, and may talk behand their hands at it, but they pay the price and go anyway. The gorgons, harpies, and other creatures do the same. They all come for the hats.

Why are these particular hats worthy of such things? Let's find out!

People travel in from all over, from lands strange and hostile, icy deserts, suffocating abundance, beautiful and terrifying, and they bring the weirdest and most fascinating news and stories.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ok, so the child will experience both the cultures of the mortal world and the Wyld in the neutral zone of the Big’un’s Wonderful Hat Emporium.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The first time Littl’un saw outsiders was a shock. They had always imagined that grown ups were Big’un size. Instead, secreted away in a hidey hole scraped into the wall of the front cave they saw a puny group, no taller than Big’un’s belt, tentatively enter and form up by the mouth. The group was made of four in matching blue and red uniforms striped from ruffled shoulder pads to shiny boots. The guards each held a pole with a blade affixed to the end and glanced around seemingly blind to the darker parts of the cave. In their midst stood a Knight in full plate, visor down with a bright red plume on his helm and his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. Behind their formation were two others. One was wearing a billowing dress of powder pink and a fox mask. The other a navy jacked with a thick fur collar and a wolf mask. These two seemed composed and unafraid.

A great thudding noise accompanied Big’un’s approach. While Littl’un felt like that solid beat matched the relaxed pace of their heart, the guards seemed to hop with every coming step. Big’un strode confidently out of the darkness. The furs and hides a stark contrast to the finery of the guests. Littl’un had seen Big’un in silk, wool, cotton, fur cloaks, in grandeur and simplicity. But here their contrasting garment seemed to declare the Ogre’s separation and wild nature in contrast to the small group’s order.

“Lord and Lady, you are granted the peace of my cave.”

With Big’un’s greeting the guards all relaxed returning to a position of ease.

“We accept your peace.”

With the Lady’s reply the knight bowed to Big’un and proceeded out followed by the guards. Once they were alone Big’un smiled broadly.

“Let’s retire somewhere a little more comfortable.”

Littl’un followed the three as they wound their way through the caves until they stopped in the midst of an empty cavern. However, upon Big’un laying his hand on a plain patch of wall the cave walls transformed to glass and what had been a squalid den became a bright Atrium. Instead of stone, through the glass roof Littl’un could see lizards flying like birds. Clouds like ships teemed with creatures she couldn’t make out. In the middle was a hatstand which the Lady rushed to in glee. Big’un close behind.

The lady grabbed a green cloche with silver strands that wound and unwould themselves in a silver spire above it. She picked up and turned it in her hands.

“Barolfo you’ve done it again. This is perfect.”

But as Littl’un was caught up in rapture at the beauty of the Atrium and Big’un’s creations they stood unhidden in the doorway, as they looked around their eyes met the Lord’s directly. In a few strides the Lord was kneeling before Littl’un.

“Why now, Barolfo, what is this?”

The Ogre’s smile was caught frozen. It seemed tense like it wanted to spring into action. To clutch Littl’un and hold them safe, but bound to stay where it was.

“That… that is my child…”

The Lord’s countenance was unreadable behind his Lupine gaze.

“Why I never knew congratulations were in order. But this is no Ogre. You are human are you not? And perhaps even one day even a

A) Lord
B) Lady

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
B

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
C, the Urchin is so filthy and covered with skins its impossible to tell.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
B

We will wear those hats ourselves one day.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
It's a girl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
It's a proud and strong human girl who don't need no thing from no man.