Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Release Date: February 15, 2019
Platforms: Epic Game Store (lol), Xbox, PlayStation 4, Steam pre-orders from months ago (lmao)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/412020/Metro_Exodus/

Recommended PC Requirements:
RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 1070 / GeForce RTX 2060 / AMD RX VEGA 56
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 59 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card

Metro Exodus is the 3rd game in this pretty unique first person shooter series. Unlike the previous games, Exodus goes open world and changes locations across Russia as the story progresses over the period of a year. This is a really good developer overview of the game and its mechanics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRi6bGWD04w The train is probably the favorite thing about the game to me. It looks badass and you get to live on it!

quote:

Embark on an incredible journey - board the Aurora, a heavily modified steam locomotive, and join a handful of survivors as they search for a new life in the East
Experience Sandbox Survival - a gripping story links together classic Metro gameplay with new huge, non-linear levels
A beautiful, hostile world - discover the post-apocalyptic Russian wilderness, brought to life with stunning day / night cycles and dynamic weather
Deadly combat and stealth - scavenge and craft in the field to customize your arsenal of hand-made weaponry, and engage human and mutant foes in thrilling tactical combat
Your choices determine your comrades’ fate - not all your companions will survive the journey; your decisions have consequence in a gripping storyline that offers massive re-playability
The ultimate in atmosphere and immersion - a flickering candle in the darkness; a ragged gasp as your gasmask frosts over; the howl of a mutant on the night wind - Metro will immerse and terrify you like no other game…

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm looking forward to seeing my friend Artyom expertly dispatching 100 bandits then clumsily tripping and falling into a big hole to get captured.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Can't say I'm happy they've made the Bastard a pistol now and not including the Lolife, but I guess I can understand since they're consolidating weapon into each other. For example combining the Tihar and Volt Driver together, or Scrambler and Saiga.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Playing this on Steam and so far the performance seems really solid. I'm still using DirectX 11 but it looks great at 1440p and I've had no hiccups on high with poo poo like Tessellation and Advanced PhysX enabled. GTX1080 and i5 6600K with 16 GB DDR4.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Playing this on Steam and so far the performance seems really solid. I'm still using DirectX 11 but it looks great at 1440p and I've had no hiccups on high with poo poo like Tessellation and Advanced PhysX enabled. GTX1080 and i5 6600K with 16 GB DDR4.

I have the Steam version but haven't had a chance to install. I'm not seeing any achievements on the library page - are they not implemented?

edit: I'm dumb and needed to restart Steam.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 15, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Anti-Hero posted:

I have the Steam version but haven't had a chance to install. I'm not seeing any achievements on the library page - are they not implemented?

edit: I'm dumb and needed to restart Steam.

Yeah sounds like you've probably answered your own question but it appears that achievements and everything are fully integrated--may just require a restart.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am playing on Xbox One X, the game runs at 4K, but I think 30fps? I just got onto the train, going to stop for the night, but so far this game is good! The previous Metro's were pretty loving hard, but this one has what is called Reader difficulty, which is a mode where you basically take no damage, like you have to really go out of your way to get killed. I am doing that mode because I suck enough as is at video games. :P

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Just got to the train part, and uh, is anybody else having trouble changing mask filters? I keep pressing the button to change it but it won't let me for some reason, and I keep dying because I run out of air.

edit: oh, it probably broke because I left it on in a fight. How can I replace it?

edit 2: you have to press the "clean mask" button (L1 on PS4) to fix it, which I completely glossed over when looking at the controls. :downs:

psychoJ fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 15, 2019

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I really want to play this blind with no-HUD mode but I'm afraid I'll miss out on some basic mechanic or otherwise obvious trigger. I guess if someone beats it with and without HUD...let us know if there's anything like that?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is this game good? Pricy.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Playing and just got to the open world. Really wondering why the only voice language is english, this is not good va. Like did I miss an option to change the dub?

Edit: Otherwise it seems interesting. Lots of eurojank over a ton of visual polish. This is weird.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 15, 2019

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

If you keep experiences crashes on the PC, change it to DX11, the game got a bug that causes most computer to crash with it on.

jwnin
Aug 3, 2003
I want to play this game, but the Epic store won't take either of my credit cards. Called one of the CC companies who said that they're approving the request, and then epic is immediately voiding it (i.e. it's not something my CC company can fix for me). Sent epic a help request through some online form; hope to hear back from them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Here's the standard .ini tweaks you might want. Note that it's using vfov.

code:
C:\User\name\Saved Games\metro exodus\######\user.cfg
r_base_fov
and
r_game_mblur_scale
and
r_blur_level 

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I feel like the exploration isn't balanced against the scarcity of resources. Like, you are basically punished for exploring because you often don't get more resources back than it cost in ammo for the enemies you encounter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ymgve posted:

I feel like the exploration isn't balanced against the scarcity of resources. Like, you are basically punished for exploring because you often don't get more resources back than it cost in ammo for the enemies you encounter.

Gamespot's review said the same thing and I was hoping it wasn't accurate because their writers are pretty incompetent at video games.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ymgve posted:

Is there a strong stealth system that can you can use to avoid enemies? Or is it usually just six dudes sitting on top of a crate?

1 & 2 worked well with the scarcity because of the tunnel design but open world, christ dudes

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There is stealth, which can help a bit, I hope. I haven’t played far, just got done with the quest of finding a guitar, so this is just my early impression.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1096447555800612867

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This whole Epic Games Store thing has been hilarious to me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Their manufacturing guy must've been even more pissed off when he heard the news than redditors were haha

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing my friend Artyom expertly dispatching 100 bandits then clumsily tripping and falling into a big hole to get captured.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Am I the only one who kept blowing smoke in Miller's face in that little side monologue near the start?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ymgve posted:

I'm finding plenty of resources to make bullets, and human enemies carry plenty ammo for you to scavenge, but once you get your first special weapon it gets a lot easier because ball bearing and arrows are extremely cheap to make.

E: Are you opening containers and lock boxes? That's where I'm finding most of the good stuff.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 15, 2019

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Throwing knives are just as busted as they ever were, head or chest and enjoy your previously living loot container. Stealth is still king, silencers and a little caution and crouching end most fights before they begin. So two silenced weapons and a loud AK and you are borderline invincible.

Howlers will howl to bring friends for dinner, don't let them howl. So far bandits seem a one shot deal, I am enjoying the surrendering mechanics if you are brutal enough to the enemies and tunnel trash as always will respawn so avoid rather than engage, most stuff can be crouch walked past and if it is ever solo throwing knife to the jugular answers most probing questions any tunnel trash might have.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Playing and just got to the open world. Really wondering why the only voice language is english, this is not good va. Like did I miss an option to change the dub?

Edit: Otherwise it seems interesting. Lots of eurojank over a ton of visual polish. This is weird.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you, but I can change the VA to a bunch of different languages. Currently have it set to Russian VA with English dubs. It should be in the options menu.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you, but I can change the VA to a bunch of different languages. Currently have it set to Russian VA with English dubs. It should be in the options menu.

Will it dub the atmospheric conversations between npcs?

In the previous metro games the dub was only for NPCs addressing Artyom so I had to leave it at English or miss a ton of world building.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So you can only change voice language in the main menu BEFORE loading into a game. Once in game you can't change it.

English dub includes all background voices.

English sub tries to include all background voices but you will probably miss some.

"Sign subtitles" is really cool! I didn't understand the option at first but it just translates in-world written text like posters, graffiti, books, etc.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

mellowjournalism posted:

"Sign subtitles" is really cool! I didn't understand the option at first but it just translates in-world written text like posters, graffiti, books, etc.

Ha! When I say that in the options I thought meant sign-language which I thought was weird, I’ll have to turn that on now. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Actual line; "are there any single women? :downs: "

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Actual line; "are there any single women? :downs: "

Well are there

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a good question after the nuclear apocalypse

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How's the game so far? The Metro series was something I really wanted to like, but the games felt too linear with a lot of unsatisfying setpieces. Hoping this one lets the player do more on their own terms instead of following an NPC around from one scripted event to another.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fallom posted:

Well are there

You won't know until you finish the story. This is literally the one and only motivation for getting to the end. I'm not exaggerating about this, it's literally what drives the characters forward when this npc utters that line.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
except artyom already has a girl so what's in it for him?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zane posted:

except artyom already has a girl so what's in it for him?

You think a sexy dude like him isn't loving every woman across Russia anyways? :colbert:

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

mellowjournalism posted:

I really want to play this blind with no-HUD mode but I'm afraid I'll miss out on some basic mechanic or otherwise obvious trigger. I guess if someone beats it with and without HUD...let us know if there's anything like that?

The Ranger Hardcore difficulty in this one has a minimal HUD option so it will remove most of the HUD except for contextual prompts and the backpack stuff. They still disable hints so you'll need to check the controls to see how to do basic stuff like changing the gasmask filter. The other option is a full removal of the HUD and probably meant for a second playthrough.

jwnin posted:

I want to play this game, but the Epic store won't take either of my credit cards. Called one of the CC companies who said that they're approving the request, and then epic is immediately voiding it (i.e. it's not something my CC company can fix for me). Sent epic a help request through some online form; hope to hear back from them.

I had a similar issue with the store declining my payment until I noticed that they had "autodetected" my region as the Philippines and not the US. You have to log in on their website and not the desktop app for the store in order to change the region on your account.

Also I think it was mentioned above but unless you are on a RT GPU you may want to switch to DX11 on PC since I've read there is zero visual difference and you won't crash all the time like I was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I am just delusional, but I totally thought Metro had become a way bigger deal at this point than it actually appears to be.

Anyways, about to fire this up. Been looking forward to it since it was announced.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like the 5 year gap between games caused it to lose relevance. Since Metro is not a multiplayer title as well that I would think would make it lose interest in gamers minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Quest question: How to do I give the kid his teddy and whats-his-face the guitar?