Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a good question after the nuclear apocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My first time through the library I gave up sneaking and just hauled rear end in random directions and luckily made it before any of them could actually maul me

I've been playing through Exodus on Game Pass but I actually don't like it being open world. I preferred the linear style or smaller tighter level in that one LL dlc. It feels kind of aimless most of the time.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 19, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

If you didnít know already you donít sneak by the ones that are already plodding around. Theyíll see you, approach, and if you do the stare down they should back off for a bit.

That mostly got me mauled when I first tried it

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Giving the game another go and tbh the open world parts are still unnecessary and kill a lot of it for me. When it forces itself back into linear areas it's great, but it's a whole lot of whatever besides that

e: I'm still going to be too bad at stealth to get the good ending though lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 2, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arglebargle III posted:

Bad take. The three big stalker style maps connect highly linear areas. The church, prison ship, canyon, rail loading terminal, and virtually all of Taiga are laid out just like a linear map. Volga and Caspian both feature linear bunker complexes with scripted gates. The big maps just add some free traversal and let you choose what order you do things in to a small extent. Even then the objective system always tells you where to go to advance the plot.

Every other map in the game is a corridor with scripted events.

Right, I'd rather it just literally be linear instead and cut out the traversal

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

the good ending is very easy to get. if a faction seems like there might be some moral gray area in killing them just try and take them out non lethal but don't sweat killing a good chunk of them. Also try to help NPCs wit their requests. There's only a few and you'll probably do them just via exploring.

Also the bad ending is way more interesting and weird anyways.

Cool hopefully I don't gently caress it up but if I do it's no big deal lol

quote:

Sam's Story is hilarious in Russian, because you have American characters speaking perfect colloquial English to each other in the most Normalni American Guyovitch accent imaginable.

Lol that owns

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I've thrown a single can where every enemy in the level didn't just zero in on me instead. Also Anna's hair bugged out and is permanently gray lol, guess the game's stressful :v:

Having fun other than that but lol stealth isn't happening at all with that and stealth knockouts just alerting the people in the room now, but I guess that's fair for how strong it was before. Weird how little health you have on normal though; it feels about equivalent to Ranger Hardcore in 2033

e: Well the game just corrupted my quicksave and reset my progress to the last chapter lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 16, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still trucking along going through things and something I really appreciate compared to virtually every video game - enemies will sometimes give up instead of suicidally fighting to the last man, so I can stealth, gently caress up, kill a few people, ruminate on the lives it cost to take those lives, and the others will go "gently caress this you win".

Also Anna's hair is still gray for me, for whatever reason. I think the lighting is loving up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

omg chael crash posted:

Who cares about trophies

Yeah, only Cheevos matter

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I basically just restarted to enjoy the improved graphics and lmao I just stole the teddy bear from a demon and action jackson'd it down a zipline. Sorry buddy mine now :v:

I broke my legs on a jump after that though so the karma caught up

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

veni veni veni posted:

I like how entire interactions can change depending on whether or not you think to holster your gun before approaching someone.

Yeah, some villagers appreciated that this lovely heretic kept his light off and gun away

The bandits didn't though

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

drkeiscool posted:

in the enhanced edition, do your automatic weapons still turn into bolt action rifles if you shoot more than one magazine or fall into an ankle deep puddle

I walked out of a safehouse, got jumped by a bunch of mutants, and had to clean the kalash again immediately. Then I had to shoot a bunch of shrimp and had to turn the boat around

So yes p much

e: I know the customization makes up for it but it's a little weird how few different guns are in the game incidentally. I'm pretty much just using an AK equipped for short range, a long range silenced revolver because this is Metro, and the Tikhar for whatever

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol Yamantau's intro is pretty hosed up. The worst part is you know exactly what's going to happen when you go back into the metro tunnel :v:

Also I appreciate that your gun seemingly can't get dirty in here

e: I do wish I didn't know in advance there were two endings if only because it keeps making me antsy if I've hosed something up lmao. In general I think they should've ditched that trick after 2033 though

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 21, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao the devs played Avalanche's Mad Max I see

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol demons aren't poo poo now that Artyom is the Firebringer

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good: The game just hands you a gatling, points you at slavers, and tells you to have fun, this one's on us
Bad: The gatling sucks. I still had fun burning them out though

e: Lol what is this forest. The bear was pretty easy, but are explosive bolts bugged? They don't do anything different than normal ones. Molotovs set it on fire at least. Also, Miller's p good with those prosthetics. I think once I wrap up I'm going to go back through 2033 and LL Redux; I never got the good ending in LL so may as well go for it!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 24, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love that Sam has seemingly spent 20 years having every Russian who has ever heard his name immediately make the Uncle Sam joke lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

madeintaipei posted:

Have you heard his accent? It's deserved.

Yeah it's great lmao

I spent the whole time wondering; would the nukes on that sub even be able to fire 20 years later? I assume in two decades someone found a way around things like launch codes, but it feels like either they wouldn't be launch capable or could've been disabled someway first. I know it's not the point, but still

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My only complaint with Sam's Story is the stretch from the bandit base to the fire depot is poorly signposted and I kept missing the tiny mud hill to slide down to fight the bat the second time to move on. I kept trying to take the boat around instead lol. Tom's an interesting character and the ending choice is pretty compelling, but I blew the sub because there's always another Klim.

The thing I really appreciated about TC and SS is that neither protagonist is silent. I get why Artyom still is but it went a long way to giving Sam his own identity, at the least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's not so much that the Soviet Union never fell in Metro as it is that its specter lingers like any other ghost you find.

veni veni veni posted:

It seems like they are pretty attached to artyom. Although his story seems thoroughly wrapped up. I would not mind seeing a new protagonist. I don' really know what the book situation is since I haven't read them.

The DLC is probably a good indicator it will be voiced in the future though.

The book Metro 2035 ends almost how Exodus begins - almost. One of the radio jammers breaks and the crusty old guy with Artyom realizes they aren't listening to his Prodigy tapes anymore - it's Lady Gaga (lol). You don't find out much more about the world but it is obvious that there are frequencies from all over the planet and they're trucking on. The Invisible Watchers are real and reveal themselves to be the Russian government remnants. They set them up to control and exert power just because they can, maintaining the status quo between Hansa, the Nazis, the Reds, and Polis, using the Order as their tools and live fairly comfortably (notably, there is salad and hydroponics and tomatoes and the like), and like Hansa in Exodus, have been shooting anyone from the outside who comes calling. A civil war in the Spartan Order about what to do about it is quickly resolved in favor of the government, and they buy off or kill anyone who would follow Artyom and as the order reasserts itself the rest fall in line. There's a book long sub plot Artyom wonders about regarding how there's even still pigs and food in the Metro which he realizes is because they are feeding the pigs the corpses - the metaphors about them eating each other are literal. He gets out of dodge with Anna, and the Watchers decide there is no harm in letting them escape, though a sniper could have killed them at any time. No one follows, but while the people of the Metro will continue to dwindle and die in their hell on earth, humanity itself will go on.

Metro 2033 and 2035 (not so much 2034) are thinly veiled political commentary and Glukhovsky has a bleak outlook on the future of Russia.

Also as a fun fact, in 2035 there are barely any mutants left. They all died or fled; Moscow is too harsh even for them

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 4, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got in here Stalker too. Looking forward to more anomolies :toot:

omg chael crash posted:

I tried reading the first book and it feels like the translation is really, really bad. Just a lot of poorly constructed run on sentences and terrible momentum. I could forgive it if it was intentional like a Cormac McCarthy but here it just feels awful to read

2033 is not well translated at all and eh, every character you see seems to talk like this you know, I think, but I felt like it just added to its oppressiveness. Last Light and 2035's translations are much better.

There's a bit of dialogue midway through though that works pretty well where Artyom's traveling with a professor and trying to tell him about the threat of the dark ones until he finally snaps at Artyom to be less of a lovely racist and Artyom has no clue why he's getting so angry about it before the guy realizes that Artyom's never seen anyone of color in the metro and he's not just being weird describing the mutants

quote:

It definitely wasnít the best. The most exciting part of it was Arytom and some other rangers heading to the Library and trying to avoid the Librarians. In the book they had more in common with the gorillas from the end of Exodus where instead of just being aggressive and territorial beasts they were psychic, intelligent, and capable of manipulating those they were able to capture. Again, very subtle.

It's fun to think that they made an action game from a book where Artyom kills a grand total of one person (a nazi) and it breaks him.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 7, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I beat Metro 2033 and LL on Ranger Hardcore! Did them on Survival and Spartan respectively. 2033 Redux is way easier than the original, but I had never done Ranger on LL; it wasn't too bad except there was a bug that put me on high alert at the end before fighting Pavel, then it quicksaved me (twice!) with no healing items, a breaking visor, and one shot from death right as the last wave of guards comes out. Fighting Pavel himself took an hour; he could kill me before it registered him moving on, so I had to scavenge grenades and blind throw them at him lmao

Other than that though pretty good time for both! How is Exodus on Ranger? I can't think of any parts that'd be hard except the oil rig fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best part about how unsubtle the cannibals were is how Krest spends the entire time going "wow this is hosed" and "what was anyone actually expecting here"

Though the opening to the area essentially being the Metro swallowing up Artyom and the rest again and Miller's response to the obvious happening was also p good

e: It's still weird how little it matters that Miller's on two prosthetic legs, though you can hear them clank softly when he's in full dress through his boots.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 9, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xander77 posted:

I was stealthy enough that I basically never saw hostile armed slaves.

Apparently no one ever bothered to make a stealth playthrough? Probably because stealth is forcibly broken so often. Is there even a way to sneak up on the Caspian tower sniper?

Anna just shot him for me halfway through trying lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know you could even get radio updates on the Aurora, I thought it was just the plot thing and some tunes