Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Had to use this fix to get rid of the stuttering.

Changed the voice settings to Russian (which you can only to do in the start menu, not in-game), but all the mouth-flaps are still opening and closing in English. Surreal.

PC gamer noted the English voiceover is terrible, and changing it to a language they don't speak helps the immersion. Lucky them - all the Russian voices are the worst sort of theatrical and bathetic, really ruining :siren: my immersion :siren:. Doesn't help that everyone are incredibly wordy while reiterating the exact same basic info two or three times over.

Now for an actual problem. I got the Tikhar from Tokarev (after rescuing Katya), saved (isn't it so great that a 2018 game doesn't allow to have real saves?), went out and got eaten by a giant fish... and reloaded with no Tikhar, and with Tokarev being unwilling to hand me one (he's currently inside the train, not blocking the way into it). Am I utterly screwed out of a silent weapon unless I feel like restarting the chapter?

Edit - Ah. Receiving the Tikhar apparently gives you a third weapon slot, which is where it lives.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A thousand reshader \ texture modes (any of them wortwhile?) and not a single "here's your infinite sprint, your super-ranger now no longer runs out of breath after 5 seconds" fix?

Also - apparently heavily armored dudes can't be knocked out or one-headshot? So every bandit base with a single heavy trooper can't be stealthed?

Edit - Holy gently caress, Duke just freaking died. I haven't killed a single sect member, just bandits. The fuuuuuuuuuuck. Is there a way to fix this beyond restarting the chapter? I don't even know if that would help, since the game is freaking out for no reason.

(I did get spotted towards the end of the church section, and had the paladins surrender instantly. It's possible I killed one of them? The cult leader accuses me of killing unarmed men, which definitely didn't happen - I even got a conversation between two guards stating as much - that's I've killed all the paladins, but spared the civilians and those who surrendered).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 7, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

You have to not kill too many of the fisherman when you steal the boat and you also have to get the teddy bear and guitar. If you have a save before the (volga) point of no return you should be able to do this.

Didn't kill a single one, got both.

Apparently not stealthing the church (and\or meleeing a surrendered bandit I couldn't knock out) was the issue. Had to download an save file :shrug:

Edit - based on a speedrun, literally never once firing a shot at a cultist is still not enough to get the good ending for Volga on its own.

I dunno, thus far it feels as though the game is way too cumbersome. And some of the open world design really reveals the game's limitations.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 8, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a way to get to the islands in the north part of the Volga map (NW of the church)? There doesn't seem to be a way to get a boat there.

I wonder how many players actually got Sam's Chekhov-Dostoyevsky-Tolstoy confusion.

The bandit base with the two cultist prisoners has a hostile dog in it. Is there a way to get through it without killing the dog? Will it surrender alongside the bandits if they do?

Man, as much as felt that the cannibals were terribly unsubtle (both as a political allegory and for anyone who took Miller's speech in D6 in the original game at face value), I'm still have uneasy semi-nightmares about that level.

Are there any spots where the gatling will actually be useful? Spiders are injured by light, so overwhelming firepower is a bit pointless.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 9, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dogen posted:

One of Britain’s aces in WW2 had lost both his legs. He was less susceptible to blacking out in high g turns.
The relevant point of comparison here is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksey_Maresyev

(Even leaving aside the real person, pretty every in the USSR would have read "The Story of a Real Man")

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Another chapter restart - the game thought I've killed the bandit who attacked me at the start of the desert chapter.

I did end up killing him and his friends when they showed up to make me an offer. Which resulted in the Baron retroactively realizing his observation post was "wiped out". Hope that doesn't mean a retroactive karma point deduction.

Showed up at a canyon where the bandits were discussing recruiting a particular slave leader. Decided to walk away and wait until nigh time - when I came back, all the bandits were gone. No one around except two dogs. Man, this game is easy to gently caress up.

Goddamn, it's so easy to kill yourself by falling down a 2 foot incline or just going down stairs.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 14, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah you can kill slavers and bandits as much as you want. I’m not too clear on whether it’s kosher to kill the slaves(?) who are armed and will attack you (the ones who will call out to their masters, etc.) so I’ve typically erred on the side of caution and knocked them out when necessary.
I was stealthy enough that I basically never saw hostile armed slaves.

Apparently no one ever bothered to make a stealth playthrough? Probably because stealth is forcibly broken so often. Is there even a way to sneak up on the Caspian tower sniper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Miller is being the oldest of the metro old men, consistently taking his time on stairs and escalators, much to my frustration. Speedrunners hate this one trick.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 15, 2021