Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I guess I have to upgrade my computer. It isn’t doing terrible when I’m on the ground or indoors but if I climb anything like the mechanic’s tower in the first area my FPS drops to single digits. Suppose I’ll keep going though and hope I just don’t have to do anything when I’m high in the air :v:

Other than that game is good. Stealth is still ridiculously powerful and if you’re the killing type throwing knives make it even more so. If it’s anything like Last Light where you literally couldn’t kill anybody to see the “best” ending I guess I already hosed that up in the church but oh well. Could have reloaded but eh. Hopefully punching surrendering dudes isn’t considered something horrible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

How do you change weapons at the train? What’s his name said the weapon locker is there but I only see the workbench and that doesn’t seem to do anything. I haven’t gone to the terminal yet so is it a progress thing?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So at the end of the Volga there’s a locked door just before you end the area by going into the preacher’s room. Did anybody find a key for that? I’m already past it so kind of pointless but google doesn’t seem to know yet and putting something right at the end is way too curious to ignore.

Also it seems that killing a few guards in the church is okay as long as you’re good to them for the rest of the area, assuming I’m right about the dialogue at the end reflecting that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Guards pop out of those rooms if you trigger an alert I believe.

They shouldn’t have used the same door as the one in the terminal then :argh:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the fish just acts strange sometimes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is the Tihar a permanent/in a special weapon slot? I’d much rather have a shotgun, sniper rifle, and suppressed rifle but I guess I can’t.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

loving A' the Caspian Desert map dropped my daytime FPS from 55-60 down to the 40s.

Funnily enough I was having trouble in the Volga, climbing the crane dropped my FPS into single digits, but the desert is fine and the lighthouse didn’t give me much of a drop at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

So far this game seems to be mostly cutscene. Please tell me it improves?

The game favours too much exposition over too little, that’s for sure. The gameplay gets going once you get the train but there is a ton of optional dialogue you can stand around and listen to in the train or in the zones if you want to.

Also it may just be because I’m playing on normal but my I’ve never really found myself running out of regular ammo enough to really need the Tihar that much. And if I do a workbench usually isn’t that far away.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well that was fun. I got stuck in some rocks in the desert and hadn’t quick saved in a while so I try to work myself out but can’t. I go to reload the auto save and just before I hit escape I see the numbers pop up. Saved me stuck in the rock. Time to go back to the start of the comm centre.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They were rocks I was 99% certain wouldn’t have had anything “inside” them, a demon nest in fact, but the map had a ? there that wasn’t getting revealed so I got as close as I could :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Throughout the series there are a few jump scares of the “open a door and get jumped on so mash a button” variety but for the most part it’s no scarier than your typical mutant-filled post-apoc FPS. Somewhat creepy environments, weird sounds, occasional ravenous pack of radiation mutants.

StabMasterArson posted:

Does this game get into actual scavenge-y Stalker type open world gameplay or were those comparisons bogus? I'm only up to the part at the church in the swamp (which I have no idea how to navigate) and it seems pretty hit and miss so far

Basically as soon as you get past the church. Unlike STALKER you’re confined to the one map per chapter but after the church you can basically go whenever you want whenever you want (in that map). The main missions will generally send you to a specific point which will have some points of interest scattered around it or on the way there so as long as you don’t just follow a straight line from one marker to the next you’ll have plenty of opportunity to see everything. One of the early main missions will also get you a pair of binoculars and show you how to find/mark those points on your map.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 23, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So does the metal detector sound break for everyone else? The detection meter will still go up and down (even if it occasionally finds boxes I’ve already looted) but the sound has vanished.

Wiltsghost posted:

Honestly a few encounters with the mutant shrimp were the worst. gently caress those things.

The rowboat in the Volga is honestly one of the most annoying things I’ve ever done in a game. It was just slightly too slow, slightly too cumbersome to turn, and slightly too small to dodge their spit attacks when on the water.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 23, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

Alright thanks, I'll keep trying it. Any tips for navigating this swamp? I just fall in the water and artyom coughs a lot

If your character is coughing and gasping you’re in an area you need to put your mask on. The water you can safely walk in will have a layer of mud or gross swamp film on top of it. Everything else needs a boat to cross.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

I just mean he's choking on the swamp water or whatever cos it's really hard to tell what's deep or not

Reeds, mud, and/or film = safe to walk

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did you happen to kill the wounded slaves in front of the lighthouse? I was wondering about the “good” noise I got there as well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

Still wanna know if the Aurora has a bed I can sleep 'till night in, or if I'm gonna have to run towards that shed and then back to the radio tower to kill some bandits and take their stuff.

No bed in the train.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I would love to know if Stepan’s song after the desert actually sort of matches the subtitles or if what the voice actor is saying is just gibberish.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I just got to the Taiga myself but it seems like “campfire” may just mean “safe place?” I wasn’t looking to advance time though. I guess if I somehow run out of medkits and materials I may miss the healing you can do at beds.

The optional dialogue writing definitely feels like what a team that isn’t experienced at it would do. They don’t want to put too little in because then you’ve got this sizable cast that doesn’t say anything and you know nothing about. And since they obviously don’t spend top dollar on their voice acting :v: putting in a bunch of stuff, as directionless and in need of editing it is, is safer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Finished the game and got the good end. Really don't know how to feel about the game. I'd honestly rank it as the least enjoyable of the 3. The main bulk of the game being 3 giant open areas felt like the game was just aimless for 90% of the playthough. Getting around was a total pain when your sprint lasted for 3 seconds and the things to explore and find were really not that interesting. Taiga being one giant stealth section apart from a camp of bandits to break up the monotony got really really tiresome rather fast and god, the whole Admiral dialogue just dragged on and on like most NPC dialogue. I loved the lore and slight mysticism of the metro and the tunnels but it feels lost in this game. It kind of felt like they midichloria'd the ghost to just be radiation hallucinations? The combat was decent and upgrading weapons was cool and I never really felt starved for resources even on hardcore.

Trading he struggle for survival and the crushing reality of the situation for a string of coincidences from one mcguffin to the next didn't really work for me, at least not in the metro world.

FYI if you “holster” your gun you can not only jog faster but sprint faster/further as well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Oh, that’s rad! This game is astoundingly gorgeous on the bone x.

Looking back I think I missed a bunch of journals in the tutorial mission, I only found two. I notice that pickups or collectibles don’t flash or anything, you have to be really careful to find them. I hope I didn’t miss anything good. My understanding of the beginning plot is that the NATO forces were going to continue to destroy Moscow, so they put up the hammer to make Moscow look like nobody survived and it was a wasteland? And it was run by the Hensho(? Who?) and Anna’s dad was in on it but kept quiet out of respect for stability?

Hansa never really get talked about much in detail in the games but in the books they are the dominate political power in the Metro. They control the “ring” stations and the center of the rail network inside the ring. Their stations connect to each other, are in relatively good shape, and since the stations outside the ring have to go through the ring to reach the centre, where most trade and commerce happens, they can blockade the stations beyond them at will so everyone sane sort of has to play nice with them. They aren’t as outright evil as the communist and nazi factions in the Metro but I guess Exodus makes them remnants of the government.

Edit: You can see the ring if you google “Moscow subway map” or something.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 26, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm not too up on Metro lore, but it does seem like they are a direct allegory to the Hanseatic League from the early Middle Ages. A bunch of Baltic powers that controlled trade in the region and became very dominant.

Been a while since I read any of the books but I think that’s where the name comes from, yeah.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spoiler: Miller is real fuckin’ dum

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so whats the story with the goverment bunker. did they all just go canibal or is this commentary on oligarchs. why do they have a bunch of weird inbred fighters.

If they’re taking inspiration from the books at all that would certainly be a valid reading. The author has some things to say about the past, present, and future Russian state. Like, in Metro 2033 the book the Kremlin was hit by chemical and biological weapons in additional to nuclear. This created a massive flesh blob in the basement (just go with it). The blob forms a connection with the Kremlin Stars, symbols put on top of several towers in the fortress, and sustains itself by compelling anybody who looks at the Stars for too long to enter the Kremlin and jump into the mass. If you’re just nearby you’ll also be compelled.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. Can't find this anywhere. How do you modify/clean etc weapons on PC? I can make make filters/ammo/medkits, but can't select the weapons/armor tabs at the top, which is what I think I need.

You should be able to change weapon attachments at any time.

You clean weapons at workbenches in safehouses (Home icon on the map after you discover them). You can craft regular ammo at the work bench. You can change armor mods at the workbenche.

Why you can’t select the icons uh, :shrug: I’m sorry to say. There have been times where I wasn’t able to use a bed or a workbench without leaving the safe house and going back in, or in a couple cases saving and reloading.

Unless you’re trying before you get the backpack?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Admittedly I’m the person who likes a slow quiet stealth walk through the forest and overgrown towns in the first place but I’m really enjoying the Taiga. I don’t really care about how bright the night is because it’s still a great atmosphere with the fog and moon and the mist. I like the story behind the inhabitants too. I also think the more linear nature of the Taiga serves it well. I didn’t mind the open levels of the Volga and Caspian, and it’s not like the Taiga is a tunnel, but I think it does show the strength of the series does remain in a more structured level.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can get a very explicit vision of the young dark one from Last Light if you find a not-so-hard to find secret in the desert. But it’s after you indulge in that classic Metro tradition of just using a random hookah you find sitting around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s a crossbow in a later level but I haven’t seen a Helsing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Shambler is fine but it doesn’t have any advantages over the Ashot until you find the ammo count upgrades.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there anywhere to sleep in the third map? just got to the church It's full daylight now and that's going to make sneaking past people way more difficult.

If you’ve found places marked with a fireplace on your map there should be a bed there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you’re talking about the church after you get through the Pioneer village there’s a cave on the path leading up to it with a bed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like I’m ever going to leave all that sweet METAL and CHEMICAL behind.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

No KO's allowed.

Cheevo description "Complete the TAIGA level without attacking anyone or getting noticed." I understood it to mean no touchy at all.

Also I wonder if that includes people like the guy cooking in the forest or the one in the schoolroom.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just to make sure I’m not accidentally driving myself crazy a workbench is the only place to repair the mask right? I’m in the eel tunnels and my mask is 1 hit away from breaking. I’m reloading every time I get a hole because I don’t see anyway to keep going.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That would have been a very useful thing to know 15 minutes ago, game!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah that was like 2 weeks ago for me and I haven’t needed to do it since.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well despite that little hiccup got through to the end. Got the good ending. Blind kind-of psychic gorillas were neat though it seemed like the psychic part was just so they could whisper creepily. Didn’t seem to react much to cans or me walking on broken glass either but still, neat.

I do miss the bullet economy and more overt supernatural elements the previous games had but Exodus still turned out excellent. Probably because if that I think the end of the game was much stronger than the beginning. The open world levels were fine but when they narrowed things down in Taiga and then even further in the final level it almost feels like a shame we couldn’t have had more game like that. Guess we’ll have to see if the DLC is any good. Can’t say Last Light’s was all that great, with the exception of the scavenging one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think it was most useful as a world building/atmosphere thing. In 2033 and Last Light I don’t think I ever had to use military ammo in my gun or worry about not buying things but it made things a bit more unique than they would be otherwise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep I had that in the tutorial as well and the never again.

Is it ok to shoot the pirates in the swamp? I got there at daytime and sneaking around is a huge pain in the rear end.

That is a really hard area to stealth but no, you can’t shoot the pirates either. They’re just a different faction of the summer camp kids. There’s a campfire on the hill before the swap you can wait at. It’s in a gazebo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Feonir posted:

Both endings are good but only one of them is a "Good" ending. If you feel Artyom is on a sociopathic murderfest then go whole hog. The morality system is literally just "Are you a bastard?" system put in place to keep track of how trigger happy you are. I mean normally I will even let bandit assholes live if they beg me to but the Canibals all had to die and I spent every bullet I could to ensure nothing in that base was left alive. Let the game dictate your actions by what you feel not what ending you want. I absolutely spared every single Librarian. They are just hungry critters and I am made of meat.

You aren’t meant to spare those guys in the first place. It’s designed as a shooty setpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You don’t get the 20 round box until the dead city but you can find the 10 round magazine in the desert.