Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Had to reach way back to dig this thread up, but anyway the consoles just got the Enhanced Edition with Ray Traced Global Illumination at 60FPS.

It's extremely good. DF did a great video on it but I've been doing some quick comparisons against some Let's Plays with the original lighting and it makes such a difference.

Resolution took a hit but I'll take that tradeoff any day to get 60FPS and RT/GI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQPT4MTOvS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So the fun thing about RT global illumination in this game is that you have the ability to turn off most lights manually. my new hobby is going into a room with no windows and manually shutting of every light source I can find to see how dark I can make it.

There are still a few vestiges of the old lighting system here and there, with some objects being lit that don't make sense. But overall, places get SUPER dark and you really can't even see your way around them at all without a flashlight. It's so cool that this game can create such dark shadows dynamically. Mixed with an OLED, it's just :aaaaa:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was playing on hardcore, but knocked it down to normal after I realized I wasn't doing much exploring because I was trying not to die. Now I'm just a super-deadly predator who stalks the dark and headshots people, it's great.

Still spending a ton of time gawking at the ray tracing. This game can get realistically dark like no other game I've played. It's the first time "hiding in the dark" felt convincing, because it's literally pitch black in here.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that it seems like occasional vestiges of the old lighting system are still around. Sometimes you'll get a weird glare from something that isn't there, or the odd object will "glow" unnaturally. not too common and not a big deal, but everything else is so accurate that a "phantom glare" can really stick out.