Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Playing this on Steam and so far the performance seems really solid. I'm still using DirectX 11 but it looks great at 1440p and I've had no hiccups on high with poo poo like Tessellation and Advanced PhysX enabled. GTX1080 and i5 6600K with 16 GB DDR4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

I have the Steam version but haven't had a chance to install. I'm not seeing any achievements on the library page - are they not implemented?

edit: I'm dumb and needed to restart Steam.

Yeah sounds like you've probably answered your own question but it appears that achievements and everything are fully integrated--may just require a restart.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Playing and just got to the open world. Really wondering why the only voice language is english, this is not good va. Like did I miss an option to change the dub?

Edit: Otherwise it seems interesting. Lots of eurojank over a ton of visual polish. This is weird.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you, but I can change the VA to a bunch of different languages. Currently have it set to Russian VA with English dubs. It should be in the options menu.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

mellowjournalism posted:

I just bought it for $10 less on the epic store and then launch the exe through steam like every other game with a launcher I don't want to deal with. Is there something else about getting it on steam I'm missing?

It's probably a discussion better presented in another thread, but I believe that a significant portion of the world wasn't saving any money through the Epic store, many areas were actually paying more for the game once it moved to the Epic Store (and some areas were no longer able to even buy it after the game was pulled from Steam). I think the U.S. was one of the only places where people saved US$10 buying it from the Epic store.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 16, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I just pretend that even though I can't hear Artyom, he's actually asking questions constantly like some kind of multiple-concussion dimwit, and we're only hearing the answers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Well I guess I have to upgrade my computer. It isnít doing terrible when Iím on the ground or indoors but if I climb anything like the mechanicís tower in the first area my FPS drops to single digits. Suppose Iíll keep going though and hope I just donít have to do anything when Iím high in the air :v:

Other than that game is good. Stealth is still ridiculously powerful and if youíre the killing type throwing knives make it even more so. If itís anything like Last Light where you literally couldnít kill anybody to see the ďbestĒ ending I guess I already hosed that up in the church but oh well. Could have reloaded but eh. Hopefully punching surrendering dudes isnít considered something horrible!

For what it's worth, I think the mechanic's tower is one of the most demanding areas (performance-wise) you'll encounter that early in the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

haldolium posted:

Definitively not. The entire desert is more demanding as any point in the first area.

That's why I said "that early in the game."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://youtu.be/GfcNaB-cxZw

The 1440p internal Benchmark on Extreme preset (incl. gameworks on) with RTX Ultra hammers the 2080Ti down to 48 fps.
So Ącan it run Crysisď should be buried now for this Metro Exodus Benchmark.

The Ultra preset leads to ~62 fps and ingame to 80-100 fps. On a 1K Euro GPU at 2560x1440 :sludgepal:

I wish we had more granular in-game graphics options, like actually being able to adjust individual settings such as anti-aliasing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I made the mistake of peacefully sneaking my way through the entire church encounter until it autosaved at the boat, and then choosing to gun down a few of the sentries since it was one of my first real encounters with Exodus NPCs. Of course, the game autosaves immediately after I kill 3 or 4 of them. I guess at least I didn't kill any of them after they surrendered.

I guess I could have started over (no quicksaves because of the difficulty level), but I had previously had the bright idea of spending a ton of time wandering around exploring the place before I actually went to visit the fish people.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

haldolium posted:

I mean it does look super beautiful without raytraycing. I'd skip this generation anyways and see where all this goes and then hop on the RT train with the updated GPUs. Early adopter market is usually just a waste of money.

Yeah I've got a 1080 and I generally like to skip a generation, so I'm planning to just deal without the RTX-niceness and pick up a 3xxx-card when they eventually come out. It might be a little painful performance-wise with certain games, but it's too much a financial slippery slope for me to upgrade my components each generation.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Well that was fun. I got stuck in some rocks in the desert and hadnít quick saved in a while so I try to work myself out but canít. I go to reload the auto save and just before I hit escape I see the numbers pop up. Saved me stuck in the rock. Time to go back to the start of the comm centre.

This is something I'm frequently worried about since the higher difficulties don't even let you quicksave.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

So does the metal detector sound break for everyone else? The detection meter will still go up and down (even if it occasionally finds boxes Iíve already looted) but the sound has vanished.

The rowboat in the Volga is honestly one of the most annoying things Iíve ever done in a game. It was just slightly too slow, slightly too cumbersome to turn, and slightly too small to dodge their spit attacks when on the water.

Unless I completely missed it, there doesn't seem to be a way to compel Artyom into rowing faster (like the equivalent of sprinting on land) so he could avoid those goddamned shrimp. He paddles like he's rented the boat for the afternoon and doesn't have a care in the world--but there's goddamned SHRIMP, Artyom! Paddle! You're getting murdered by SHRIMP SPIT, Artyom! Maybe move with a purpose?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know. Like, overall, this game feels vastly more like STALKER Call of Pripyat to me than Half-Life 2 once you hit the open areas. Volga reminded me so much of Zaton--the rain, the scavenging and side quests, the ambient music, the swamp and the muck, the scattered outposts of bandit activity, the roaming wildlife preying on each other...hell, even the goddamned electrical anomalies--that it almost felt like a mod for STALKER CoP.

I get that Half-Life 2 had open areas, but they felt significantly different to me than anything in Exodus. I'd agree with the other poster and say that even Mad Max (2015) reminded me more of this game than HL2.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Carecat posted:

They didn't do badly but it would benefit from survival or RPG elements to back up all exploration as you mostly just find a few boxes worth of generic resources and very rarely a weapon mod. This isn't a problem with Fallout or Stalker because of the breadth of crafting/trading but here it's just ammo, the two resource types and very rarely a new weapon mod.

Integrate food for hunger and water for thirst, obviously. Now I know what you're gonna say: "What about beds for sleeping? We already have those." And I'm gonna just nip that in the bud by saying that I want to instead add a third consumable resource called a "Speed Pill" for staving off sleep indefinitely. And if your sleep meter fills up because you're not eating speed pills (or you've simply run out) you pass out and die.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah that's actually exactly where the name "Hansa" comes from for the group in Metro.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Thanks; leaning towards a bug, since I'm left with no other explanation. edit: Thought I'd try steam controller, but the game doesn't recognize it. Super weird.

Once you get to the point in the game where you should be able to clean your weapons at a workbench, it's accessed from the "brush" icon that is on the same screen as swapping out the other modifications for the weapon. You've probably figured that out, though.

That being said, what's screwy is that I modified some of my keyboard inputs and the game erroneously insisted that something like "Mouse4" was what I needed to press to clean the weapon, and it was actually the "F" key, which is pressed and held to keep the cleaning process going.

Basically, I'm not sure if you've having the same issue where the button that should be initiating weapon cleaning is actually not the button the game is telling you to push.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

You should get negative karma for walking away from a conversation.

Because it's rude.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

~**HeY bOyS**~

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I call this one "The Ecstasy of Fish and Beer"

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah actually I have no recollection of my mask breaking and getting told to band-aid it in the initial area either. Maybe there's a relatively easy way to miss it, by avoiding damage or something?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I have a pretty decent overclock on my GTX 1080 and the only instability issues have been when attempting to alt-tab at dumb times.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

The semi auto shotgun with magazine and suppressor is the gun with the most potential to be good ruined by how weak it is. Unless the bandits catch every buckshot in the head itís more like I just threw change at them.

Yeah I've constantly waffled on using the suppressed Ashot and the suppressed Shambler. Like everybody says, the Shambler has some surprisingly anemic damage issues, which has been a problem for me on the Hardcore difficulties. A suppressed Ashot only carries a single shell, but reloads so fast that follow-up shots (like, if you get startled by something and whiff the first shot or only graze the target) are fast enough to keep you safe most of the time; the Shambler can carry a ton of ammunition but I find that most things need to get tagged a couple of times to get killed...and then you're spraying buckshot all over the place and hitting walls and furniture and making a ton of noise any way.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dogen posted:

Ah

My favorite bug is sometimes I put on my gas mask and still pass out and die

Maybe Artyom farted right before he reached down and put on the mask.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah for sure--I knew there were postcards in the game. I knew they were hard to see. I took my time and crawled through most areas. And I still only ended up with like 8-10 of them. They're super easy to overlook, particularly since there are a lot of textures and clutter that look kind of like postcards throughout the game, but can't be interacted with.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

I presume NG+ carries over progress made towards kill-count achievements?

I wonder how that works, actually. Did kill-count achievements not accumulate over multiple games previously? Because the "headhunter" achievement, for example, feels like it requires you to kill more humans than you even encounter in an ordinary game (300 NPCs) unless you're killing everybody with a pulse and reloading saves (kills definitely accumulate over reloaded saves, so you could grind a little for it, or get to it "naturally" if you die and reload saves a fair amount). It seems like starting a new game may have continued to contribute to those sorts of achievements.

EDIT: Not sure though. I played SUPER slow and over 42 hours on a single game, I managed to get to 287/300 NPC kills on a playthrough that only focused on killing "bad" guys. Ranger Hardcore mode, so no quicksaves--when I died I often times started much further back than somebody who was saving frequently, so maybe I killed more people repeating segments over and over :shrug:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 27, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Installing it now.

7.99 for two colonels and the expansion pass is $25? Huh. I wonder if the next one is planned to be pretty big if it's cost covers almost 4/5ths of the pass.

Yeah this is something that's confusing me as well. I wonder how much they're charging for DLC 2 that the season pass makes any sense to get at all.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The only thing Iíve found frustrating about the Colonels DLC is that this dumb chucklefuck does this for a living and doesnít even have a flashlight.

Like, yeah, I get that the flamethrower is natureís flashlight but Iíd still like to have both. That little pilot light on the thing is about as strong as Artyomís lighter and Iím not always setting things on fire so

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Does Sam's DLC add any new weapons? I know there's a M1911 that features in the promotional materials, anything else?

I just started it but yeah you get a 1911 handgun (describes by a Russian dude as ďthe real McCoyĒ) and then a weird carbine that I guess is supposed to be something like an AR15 but bastardized (Sam even acknowledges the fact that the rifle doesnít look right and the NPCs mention that they had to modify them).

Iím not sure if thereís anything else thatís new in the DLC weapon-wise but there are definitely at least two new weapons.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I never found the safe to resolve the ďcar dealershipĒ brothers scenario. How does that pan out and where was the safe? I was pretty thorough and never ran into it.

I'm gonna do a poo poo job of explaining it, but the safe is in a building that's like a 30 second walk from one of the brothers' camps (the one who lives in the building, not the boat). As you leave his camp and start walking down toward the open area filled with lurker holes, you turn left and go into the fenced off area to find it; if you go down into the lurker nests, you've gone too far.

It's honestly not a big spoiler but the way it ends is right after you retrieve the documents from the safe, both brothers show up, sit down at a table to review the paperwork, and discover that neither one screwed the other over--instead, it was some other employee (a woman, if I remember correctly) that hosed them both over. They begin to drunkenly weep and reconcile.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 29, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah Volga and the Desert were my favorite parts of the main campaign.

I also agree with Samís Story feeling unpolished. The level geometry was rough, a lot of magic invisible barriers and floating/incomplete decoration that was copy-pasted. It was a fun DLC and I liked having a PC who talked and had personality, but it could have used a little more time in the oven.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Just installed this and looking forward to another run through the gameóthis time on a 3080 with everything pretty.

And the fact that this is a new library item with its own achievements is really scratching that part of my man-child brain that wants to unlock more cheevos. :getin:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I liked both Two Colonels and Sams story well enough the first time, but I'm finding them much better the second than I did the first. Especially Two Colonels, which is pretty much top form. It has a way bigger impact after just finishing the main game than it did 6 months later when I forgot a lot about the last area. It works so much better as a companion piece when the end is fresh.

Sams story took some flak for being underwhelming when it came out but honestly I think it's really good and on par with anything else in the game. The characters are great. Especially the colonel. Both him and Tom have way more nuance than you'd expect and I find their relationship interesting. Theres also some really funny side characters like the brothers and the area is cool as gently caress. Like an urban volga and your boat is way better.

Yeah I really liked the moments of weird levity in Sam's Story, like when Sam meets up with the submarine captain and they get poo poo-hammered and proceed through a series of vignettes interspersed with blackouts.

"Hey, there's some randos listening to a radio! I'd love a radio!"
(blackout)
The two are listening to the radio they've jacked from the strangers.
(blackout)
Fist fighting a humanimal.
(blackout)
The captain drunkenly and incoherently pouring his heart out to "Sam" (the humanimal corpse)

veni veni veni posted:

Something I never noticed. you can identify who some of the corpses lying around are in the Miller parts of two colonels in the flashback parts and see them when they are still alive. :drat:

I've played through TTC several times and I had no idea.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The best part about how unsubtle the cannibals were is how Krest spends the entire time going "wow this is hosed" and "what was anyone actually expecting here"

Though the opening to the area essentially being the Metro swallowing up Artyom and the rest again and Miller's response to the obvious happening was also p good

e: It's still weird how little it matters that Miller's on two prosthetic legs, though you can hear them clank softly when he's in full dress through his boots.

I like to think that the cannibal leader's VA was reading his lines and the director was like, "no, no, more evil" and they kept going back and forth like that for a while until the delivery was so over-the-top, preposterously mustache-twirling that it obliterated any opportunity for a surprise twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

As I recall in the Caspian you can kill members of the slavers all you want? But if you start killing the slaves forced to fight that is when things turn bad.

Yeah you can kill slavers and bandits as much as you want. Iím not too clear on whether itís kosher to kill the slaves(?) who are armed and will attack you (the ones who will call out to their masters, etc.) so Iíve typically erred on the side of caution and knocked them out when necessary.